24 replies to this topic

#1 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:59 AM

I want to make a chicken pot pie tonight, and I thought I'd ask folks for their favorite recipes. I have one from Trisha Yearwood's cookbook that was published in this month's Ladies Home Journal, and it sounds good, but I thought I'd ask just in case someone has one they really like!

Here's the one I have:

Chicken Pie

3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
2 cups chicken broth
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup self-rising cake flour
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 cup buttermilk, well shaken
1/2 cup unsalted butter

Heat oven to 425. In a 2 quart casserole, evenly spread out chicken. In a medium saucepan, whisk together broth and soup; bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour over chicken. In a medium bowl, combine flour and pepper; stir in buttermilk and butter. Pour over chicken (DO NOT STIR); smooth top. Bake pie, uncovered, until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes.

Now, I could use that one (only I'd add some veggies to it), but I don't currently have any cream of chicken soup, buttermilk, or cake flour. I could improvise and it would still probably come out just fine, but I don't want to have to make a trip to the store to make dinner.

So please share your recipes!

Edited by Quintain, 21 April 2008 - 10:59 AM.

#2 smitty

smitty

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Quintain @ Apr 21 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to make a chicken pot pie tonight, and I thought I'd ask folks for their favorite recipes. I have one from Trisha Yearwood's cookbook that was published in this month's Ladies Home Journal, and it sounds good, but I thought I'd ask just in case someone has one they really like!

Here's the one I have:

Chicken Pie

2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup unsalted butter

Heat oven to 425. In a 2 quart casserole, evenly spread out chicken. In a medium saucepan, whisk together broth and soup; bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour over chicken. In a medium bowl, combine flour and pepper; stir in buttermilk and butter. Pour over chicken (DO NOT STIR); smooth top. Bake pie, uncovered, until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes.

Now, I could use that one (only I'd add some veggies to it), but I don't currently have any cream of chicken soup, buttermilk, or cake flour. I could improvise and it would still probably come out just fine, but I don't want to have to make a trip to the store to make dinner.

I don't have my recipe wiff me.

From memory:

Canned chicken (to suit...I use two of the larger cans)
1 can cream-of-celery soup
1 can cream-of-putater soup
1 can veg-all
about 1/2 cup milk (do dissolve cream soups)
thyme to taste (IMO, the key ingredient)
pepper to taste
DO NOT ADD SALT (there's plenty in the soups)

I use the Pilsbury pie crusts that are sold with the non-frozen, store-bought biscuits. I line the dish (about 7-inches in diameter and about 3 inches deep) with one of the crusts; pour in the mix and then cover it all with the other crust. Bake @ 350 F for about 40 minutes.

There's probably way better recipes out there, but the above is very fast and very easy.

My opinions do not reflect a command of reasoning but instead, reflect that reason

commands my opinions.

#3 B Moncrief

B Moncrief

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Quintain @ Apr 21 2008, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the one I have:

Chicken Pie

2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup unsalted butter

Wow!! That sounds really good!! I do it the easy way. It works best for our family because time is always an issue. The kids love it though.

I just use a 2 pack frozen pie crust
1 can veg-all vegatables
1 can cream of chicken
chopped chicken ( i usually use chicken breast and then I chop it up)

I mix it all together, and then pour it into a pie crust. Put a few pats of butter on it and then cover it with the other pie crust. poke a few holes in it and bake about 25/30 minutes.

I may have to try this recipe you posted though smile.gif when I have some extra time!!

#4 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (smitty @ Apr 21 2008, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From memory:

1 can veg-all
pepper to taste

I use the Pilsbury pie crusts that are sold with the non-frozen, store-bought biscuits. I line the dish (about 7-inches in diameter and about 3 inches deep) with one of the crusts; pour in the mix and then cover it all with the other crust. Bake @ 350 F for about 40 minutes.

There's probably way better recipes out there, but the above is very fast and very easy.

Mmmm...that sounds good, too!

Well, I scoured the cabinets, and it turns out I *do* have a can of cream of chicken soup.

But I have a couple of questions for my fellow cooks out there. I have All-purpose flour...would that work in place of the cake flour? I don't think so, because All-purpose isn't self-rising. So I need to add baking powder, but I'm not sure how much.

Also, I've always heard you can make buttermilk in a pinch by adding 1 tsp of white vinegar to a cup of milk and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. Does anyone know if this works? unsure.gif

#5 blessedby2

blessedby2

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

Funny you should ask....I literally just sat down from putting one in the ovee....however I make mine very simple and far from homemade. I use this when I have to work at night and need to make a meal for hubby and kids to eat. It heats up well.

1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can swanson chicken-flaked and shredded

mix all....pour into round stone(i use a stone,sure you could use something else)
then take a box of jiffy cornbread mix($.35) mix with 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk. spread over mixture in stone.....bake at 400 for 30 min until brown....
you could sub the jiffy for bisquick 1 cup 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg

enjoy

#6 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (blessedby2 @ Apr 21 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny you should ask....I literally just sat down from putting one in the ovee....however I make mine very simple and far from homemade. I use this when I have to work at night and need to make a meal for hubby and kids to eat. It heats up well.

1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can swanson chicken-flaked and shredded

mix all....pour into round stone(i use a stone,sure you could use something else)
then take a box of jiffy cornbread mix($.35) mix with 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk. spread over mixture in stone.....bake at 400 for 30 min until brown....
you could sub the jiffy for bisquick 1 cup 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg

enjoy

That sounds good, too. I saw Rachel Ray do one very similar to that with the Jiffy topping on her show recently. I have some Jiffy, but I wanted to do a biscuit topping. And I don't have any Bisquick, so I'm gonna have to make the biscuit topping from scratch.

Thanks for sharing!

#7 XTW

XTW

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

I always put chicken noodle soup in mine. That really makes a difference.

Posted Image www.XtremeTreeWorx.com

http://www.paulding.com/ads/xtreme-revision1.swf

#8 christpnt

christpnt

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

I'm all for labor saving. I put the chicken breast in to simmer while I do other things then when its tender I shred it, add canned mixed vegetables, drained. Add cream of chicken soup and fold all the ingredients. Top with store bought pie crust. Put is the oven at 350 and let it go.
Doing it that way my grandkids will do it for me because its so simple. If you smear butter on the crust when its hot from the oven and nicely browned it looks so yummy. There never is leftovers to throw away.
Christian Point Printing

Helping Christians Prosper in the Business World

#9 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Quintain @ Apr 21 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I've always heard you can make buttermilk in a pinch by adding 1 tsp of white vinegar to a cup of milk and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. Does anyone know if this works? unsure.gif

Yes it works. You can also use lemon juice.

#10 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (Happy Wife And Mom @ Apr 21 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes it works. You can also use lemon juice.

Cool, then that's what I think I'll do.

I've just finished cooking the chicken. I had some leg quarters in the freezer, and I just boiled three of them in salted water and bay leaves. It smells good!

I'm gonna make my own version of the first recipe, I think. But anyone with any input, please keep posting! wink.gif

#11 Skooter92

Skooter92

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

This is mine. biggrin.gif

1 pack of boneless/skinless chicken thighs.
2 cups (appx) frozen green beans.
1 cup frozen corn.
1 cup raw baby carrots.
Garlic to taste. (I usually do a thin layer over the chicken.)
1 stick of butter.
Enough water to cover chicken in the bottom of the crock pot.
1 pack of Pillsbury pie crust (2 in a box.)
Cook all ingredients in a crock pot for 4-6 hours, until chicken "falls" apart when stirring the mixture. (4 hours on low, then 1-2 hours on high.)
Bake a bottom pie crust in baking dish according to directions on the box, usually 10-15 minutes until light golden brown. (I use an 8x10 glass casserole dish.)
Keep the Crock pot on high while preparing pot pie.
When the bottom crust is finished, remove from oven & spoon the mixture, with a slotted spoon, onto the bottom crust.
About half way thru lightly sprinkle mixture with self rising flour, finish adding mixture on top.
Add self rising flour to the "juice" left in the crock pot, which should still be on high, whisk quickly to form a thin gravy. Spoon over the top of the mixture in the baking dish. Cover all with the second pie crust from box.
Bake 10-20 minutes according to directions on the pie crust box.
Enjoy!
Serves 6-10

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

"They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?"~Princess Diana~

#12 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for sharing Skooter92! wub.gif

#13 Skooter92

Skooter92

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (Quintain @ Apr 21 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for sharing Skooter92! wub.gif

Welcome wub.gif
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

"They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?"~Princess Diana~

#14 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

Oh, I made the MOST DECADENT Chicken Pot Pie.

Really, if you're looking to cut calories, read no further.

I am completely incapable of following any recipe. Usually I read them for inspiration, then I just go and create. That's what I did tonight.

Here's the ingredients:

Pie filling:

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 LARGE clove garlic, crushed with garlic press
2 cups chicken broth (I cooked three leg quarters in about 3 cups of water with salt and 2 bay leaves, then I used the water for my chicken broth)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
3 cups frozen veggies (my mix had green beans, corn, and sliced carrots)
2 1/2--3 cups chicken, shredded
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400.

Saute chopped onion and crushed garlic. Add shredded chicken and saute a bit more. Add chicken broth, Cream of Chicken soup, veggies and thyme. Heat until bubbly. Stir in cheeses and cook until melted. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish.

Biscuit topping

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Cut in the grated cheese. Stir in the buttermilk with a fork until all ingredients are moistened.

With your hands, gather dough and roughly shape the dough to fit the top of the casserole dish. Place on top of chicken mixture. Don't worry about making the dough smooth. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

Lemme tell ya...this is YUMMY!!!!

Thanks everyone, for the inspration! wink.gif

Edited by Quintain, 21 April 2008 - 06:40 PM.

#15 Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful

Icon

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

If I ask whether or not there is a foot long snake recipe, will this get booted to PP? rolleyes.gif
Stupidity is an elemental force, and must be respected.

#16 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Mr Todd's Wild Ride @ Apr 21 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I ask whether or not there is a foot long snake recipe, will this get booted to PP? rolleyes.gif

WHY I OUGHTTA... glare.gif

dirol.gif

Stop. It's a CHICKEN pot pie. tongue.gif

Edited by Quintain, 21 April 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#17 smitty

smitty

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Quintain @ Apr 21 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...snip...

Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it probably tasted like a lot of trouble too. Mmmmmmm.

My opinions do not reflect a command of reasoning but instead, reflect that reason

commands my opinions.

#18 yodiggity

yodiggity

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (Moncrief Creative @ Apr 21 2008, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow!! That sounds really good!! I do it the easy way. It works best for our family because time is always an issue. The kids love it though.

I just use a 2 pack frozen pie crust
1 can veg-all vegatables
1 can cream of chicken
chopped chicken ( i usually use chicken breast and then I chop it up)

I mix it all together, and then pour it into a pie crust. Put a few pats of butter on it and then cover it with the other pie crust. poke a few holes in it and bake about 25/30 minutes.

I may have to try this recipe you posted though smile.gif when I have some extra time!!

this is how we make ours.
"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (smitty @ Apr 22 2008, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it probably tasted like a lot of trouble too. Mmmmmmm.

Nah, it really wasn't a lot of trouble. You don't have to start with boiling the chicken like I did. But really, the filling all cooked in one pot, and the topping was just a seasoned biscuit recipe. And you don't have to roll it or anything--just mix it up, flatten it out to cover the top of the pot, and stick it on there.

My husband commented that it was sorta like a chicken and dumpling pie. The poultry seasoning made the biscuit really flavorful, sorta like stuffing. And it was crispy on the top and very much like a thick fluffy biscuit underneath.

#20 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (smitty @ Apr 21 2008, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From memory:

1 can veg-all
pepper to taste

Sounds like mine. I vary the soups that I use. And, I don't use canned chicken.

QUOTE (Quintain @ Apr 21 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds yummy!
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#21 busymomof3

busymomof3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

If you're looking for a different variation:
Chicken (chunked or shredded)
a bag of frozen broccoli florets (thawed)
an envelope of country/peppered gravy mix - 2 cup size
chicken broth/stock
Parmesan cheese
Crescent rolls or puff pastry

Make gravy using chicken broth instead of water, I make it a little thinner than required. Add in chicken, broccoli & cheese. Heat just till warm. Pour into casserole dish (individual ones are good too) cover with puff pastry/crescents, seal edges, brush with an egg wash, sprinkle with Parmesan and cook till brown. The kids like it when I leave the puff pastry too large for the dishes.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

#22 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (busymomof3 @ Apr 22 2008, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're looking for a different variation:
Chicken (chunked or shredded)
a bag of frozen broccoli florets (thawed)
an envelope of country/peppered gravy mix - 2 cup size
chicken broth/stock
Parmesan cheese
Crescent rolls or puff pastry

Make gravy using chicken broth instead of water, I make it a little thinner than required. Add in chicken, broccoli & cheese. Heat just till warm. Pour into casserole dish (individual ones are good too) cover with puff pastry/crescents, seal edges, brush with an egg wash, sprinkle with Parmesan and cook till brown. The kids like it when I leave the puff pastry too large for the dishes.

Ooooh, that sounds YUMMY!! And easy, too!

#23 busymomof3

busymomof3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Quintain @ Apr 22 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooooh, that sounds YUMMY!! And easy, too!

It is yummy and easy. Best of all you can change it up so many ways. It's fun to mix it up sometimes with different flavors of rotisserie chickens. The Lemon Pepper one gives it a little more kick, the home style one gives more of a comfort food flavor, etc...

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

#24 krwills

krwills

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

Has anyone been taking advantage of the chicken leg quarters at Kroger?
They have a 10 pound bag that is usually $4.70. I take them and boil them, then take the meat and freeze it in meal size bags. Wow, the stuff you can make quick, is unlimited, like yummy chicken pot pies, chicken enchalidas, chicken soup, casseroles, chicken salad.
Check it out.
The postings you may read may not always be the thoughts of both owners..

Posted Image

#25 ProudMawMawof5

ProudMawMawof5

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

Quintain, that recipe is very good. I made it last week and everyone loved it. Made mashed potatoes and green beans with it. I'm making it again tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics