Paulding.com

Last fall I picked up some traffic from SO 55 (an officer in the warrant's division). He had stopped to help a woman walking from Dallas to Marrietta with a baby on a heart monitor. The officer attempted to meet with up with Cobb PD at the county line, but they did not have an officer available. SO 55 took the lady and the child to their doctor's appointment in Marietta.

This officer again demonstrated service to the community this morning. I heard him stop to help an older man that had a flat tire. My guess is that this type of service is part of this officer's life - in or out of uniform.

The problem here is....it shouldn't take a police officer to stop and do things like this. Last week I was taking my son to the Post Office with me and a younger man on a motorcycle was having some serious troubles with the bike. Being a bike junky myself I decided to pull off the 120 Connector to see if I could help him. He didn't have a cell phone so I let him use mine to get in touch with his dad. Come to find out, the battery in the bike was dead so I gave him a jump to get it started and get him moving again. He wasn't going but 5-10 miles up the road so I was hoping it could get enough charge to get him there. Needless to say, it didn't. I don't know how many of you have a 2 year old...but when they are in the back seat being as good as mine you know you're doing the right thing for this young man and God is taking care of the little boy in the backseat. Anyways....Had to jump this guy about 10 times to get him close enough to where he was going that he could walk up there and get a battery. The moral of the story here is.....it doesn't matter what your schedule is that day....there is a reason that voice in the back of your head says..."Man...I should have stopped to see if that person is okay".......one other story really quick....was driving from Southern GA back up here towards Atlanta. It was earlier this year and it was quite cool outside....I noticed 3 pieces of luggage on the side of Hwy 27 and decided to pull over and move them off the road so they wouldn't get splattered all over the place. What I didn't notice, was the woman laying behind the luggage to try and stay out of the wind. I ended up giving her a ride almost 200 miles from the place I picked her up...and gave her 20 bucks to get some food. You probably won't believe a word of this next part....but no kidding...not less than a week later I had some of the greatest news in my life....something you really just don't get everyday....I won't tell you what it was because it's rather personal.....but you just don't get this news everyday. Everything happens for a reason......just because they don't look like the "friendliest" person in the world doesn't automatically make them a criminal, killer or rapist. Now....be careful in who you go and help and where you help them........But if you can offer that assistance......it's the responsibility of a human being to take care of others!!!

My two cents for the year.....you won't hear me rant on this one again!! :o)

Carl

NCO, thanks for your input. I agree that we all need to have more compassion for others. It can only take a minute to lend assistance - even asking someone if they have a phone or offering to call someone for a stranded person.