7 replies to this topic

#1 LadybugLove

LadybugLove

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

If anyone has a recipe for lasagna without having to use cottage or ricotta I really need one. Thanks!! smile.gif

#2 beachcomber

beachcomber

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

1/2 lb. lasagna noodles
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (15-oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon parsley
2 cups mozarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F. and grease a 13 x 9-inch pan.

Combine beef and onion in skillet and brown. Drain well. Stir in tomato sauce, Itlaian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes on low. In separate bowl beat egg with parsley.

In greased 13 x 9 inch pan, layer 1/3 each of noodles, meat sauce, egg mixture, and both cheeses. Repeat layers and top with Parmesan.

Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

(Can also add any other spices such as oregano and basil if you like)

#3 LadybugLove

LadybugLove

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (beachcomber @ Mar 25 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1/2 lb. lasagna noodles
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (15-oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon parsley
2 cups mozarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F. and grease a 13 x 9-inch pan.

Combine beef and onion in skillet and brown. Drain well. Stir in tomato sauce, Itlaian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes on low. In separate bowl beat egg with parsley.

In greased 13 x 9 inch pan, layer 1/3 each of noodles, meat sauce, egg mixture, and both cheeses. Repeat layers and top with Parmesan.

Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

(Can also add any other spices such as oregano and basil if you like)

Thanks!!! happy.gif

#4 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:22 AM

I made this one a few weeks ago, and it was WONDERFUL!! I saw Rachel Ray make it on her show, and I just had to try it. It's much easier than it looks, really, but you do have to cook the meat sauce and the white sauce in two separate pans. There's no ricotta or cottage cheese, but with the way the white sauce bakes, you never even know they're not there.

And the oven-ready lasagne noodles are da bomb! You just take them straight from the box and put them in your lasagna!

Mile-High Lasagna

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 large onion, grated
1 pound ground beef (I used turkey)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, grated (I used a garlic press and smashed 'em)
2 cups beef stock
1 can San Marzano tomatoes (28 ounces) (I couldn't find these, so I just used a large can of stewed Italian tomatoes)
1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounces) (again, I used crushed tomatoes with Italian seasonings)
3 to 4 basil leaves, torn (I used dried since I didn't have any fresh)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 quart milk
A few grates fresh nutmeg (I used powdered since I didn't have fresh)
2 boxes oven-ready lasagna noodles (use 1 box per loaf pan)
2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided (I used grated Parmesan)
1/2 cup provolone cheese, grated
Parsley, chopped, for garnish

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375F.

Place a large skillet over medium-low heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Cook the onion and the garlic, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes.

Turn the heat under the skillet up to medium-high and add the beef to the pan. Cook it through, stirring frequently and breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon or potato masher. Add the beef stock, tomatoes and basil to the pot and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mash the tomatoes up with the potato masher or wooden spoon, bring the sauce up to a bubble, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.

While the red sauce is simmering, place a medium-size pot over medium heat and melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook the mixture for about 1 minute. Whisk the milk slowly into the butter-flour mixture and cook until thickened. Season the white sauce with salt, freshly ground pepper and the nutmeg.

Cover two loaf pans with a layer of foil for easy removal from the pan. Ladle about 1 cup of the red sauce into the bottom of the first lined loaf pan. Put down a layer of lasagna noodles, then top them with about a cup of white sauce and a handful of Parmigiano Reggiano (about 1/4 cup). Continue building the lasagna, alternating layers of noodle, red sauce, noodle, white sauce and cheese, until all the noodles are covered. End the lasagna on a layer of red sauce and top it off with the grated provolone and some Parmigiano-Reggiano. Repeat this process with the other loaf pan and the remaining sauce.

Cover the pans with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 15 minutes until the noodles are tender and the cheese is melted and golden brown.

Remove the pans from the oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes to let the lasagna set. Pull the lasagna out of the pans by the edges of the foil, pull the foil down from around the lasagna and cut with a serrated knife. Garnish each slice with fresh parsley.

You won't believe how THICK this is when you're finished!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention--I used mozzarella where the recipe called for provolone. It was good.

Edited by Quintain, 25 March 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#5 bamafan

bamafan

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

This is my recipe:
1 lb. ground meat
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
Brown the above ingredients in a skillet and drain of grease. Mix in 1 jar of spaghetti sauce, bring to a boil.
Boil 1 box of Lasagna noodles.
Place 2 ladles of sauce in the botom of a 9x13 pan. Layer 1: place noodles on top of sauce. Layer 2: spoon sauce over noodles. Layer 3: sprinkle mozzerella cheese over sauce. Repeat the layers until pan is full. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese and sauce is bubbly. It will probably take 2 cups of cheese. If you want you can also use parmesian cheese with the mozzerrella.

I have a hubby who hates cottage and ricotta cheese. Hope you enjoy!

#6 LadybugLove

LadybugLove

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!

#7 justcritty

justcritty

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:21 PM

I make it with or without, but since I don't like ricotta myself, I mix it in the sauce and then you don't notice the texture, which is what I don't like.

#8 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (critty @ Mar 25 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I make it with or without, but since I don't like ricotta myself, I mix it in the sauce and then you don't notice the texture, which is what I don't like.

Dang! I thought you were giving out your secret recipe! laugh.gif
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics