Recent Topics Recent Topics

- - - - -

Privacy is protected on paulding.com

No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_webmaster_*

Guest_webmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:40 PM

In the FAIR WARNING piece, we point out that anonymity is not (at all) guaranteed at paulding.com and while that is true, the average user need not worry about their privacy being invaded by our site.

Paulding.com does not, for instance, publish email addresses of its users. The site's programming is set up so that when you private message another member, they get an email message from Paulding.com advising them of the PM.

The main reason for this is that there are bad actors out there who cruise message boards seeking email addresses so they can spam you. All too often these lists of names also end up in addressbooks on Microsoft machines which means you become a target for computer viruses.

By using Paulding.com's Private Message (PM) system ... you simply do not have to disclose your email address.

For this tool to work, though, you've got to register a good working email on Paulding.com. That is one of the reasons that we require 'confirmation' of your email address ... that you received the email we generate when you register ... before completing registration.

That said, you'll find that I publish my email address as do a lot of businesspeople. The spam and potential of viruses simply do not outweight the desire of those in business to make it easy for you to communicate with them.

But as a private citizen, my advice is to keep your email private which is easy if you use the PM system as Paulding.com does not publish it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics