37 replies to this topic

#1 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:48 PM

Thanksgiving is always accompanied by my favorite food- dressing. A little bit sticky inside, with lots of celery, onion and sage. I think its a regional thing. Up north, they usually have stuffing, which is an oddity to me. I always stuff the turkey with StoveTop, but we never actually eat it. It's just to flavor the bird.

Also, you must have some cranberry sauce and green bean casserole. Dessert is optional, but pumpkin pie is always a good choice. What's the best Thanksgiving food to you? Feel free to list recipes as well. smile.gif wink.gif
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.

- Sam Levenson

#2 learjet25d

learjet25d

Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:50 PM

You are correct GaBelle.

My family who is from Georgia and Tennessee has dressing for Thanksgiving.
My partner whos family is from Michigan, have Stuffing.

I like dressing better since it is a bit dryer than stuffing. My grandma makes the best dressing...

QUOTE (GaBelle3639 @ Nov 4 2004, 02:48 PM)
Thanksgiving is always accompanied by my favorite food- dressing.  A little bit sticky inside, with lots of celery, onion and sage.  I think its a regional thing.  Up north, they usually have stuffing, which is an oddity to me.  I always stuff the turkey with StoveTop, but we never actually eat it.  It's just to flavor the bird.

Also, you must have some cranberry sauce and green bean casserole.  Dessert is optional, but pumpkin pie is always a good choice.  What's the best Thanksgiving food to you?  Feel free to list recipes as well.  smile.gif  wink.gif

"I distrust those people who know so
well what God wants them to do because
I notice it always coincides with
their own desires."

---Susan B. Anthony

#3 craftygal

craftygal

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:53 PM

Im from the North, and it is stuffing. And we eat the stuffing from the bird. However we do not have green been casserol. Candied yams. mashed potatoes and gravey giblet gravy. green salad and rolls....have to have pumpkin pie and cherry. Ok I'm ready!!! laugh.gif

#4 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (learjet25d @ Nov 4 2004, 04:50 PM)
You are correct GaBelle.

I like dressing better since it is a bit dryer than stuffing.  My grandma makes the best dressing...

See, y'all, Lear CAN talk about something besides being gay! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.

- Sam Levenson

#5 Pointyhead

Pointyhead

Mmmm, Doritos!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:57 PM

We always have turkey as well as ham, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy only made with chicken necks and no innards, fried okra, cream corn, green beans, rolls, potato salad, congealed salad, fruit salad, field peas, and cranberry sauce, the kind with whole berries for me, the smooth kind for the rest of the family. And cokes, tea, and coffee.

Desesrt is always pecan pie, and banana pudding.

Forgot to add the sweet potato suffle' and the mashed potatoes.

But since my MIL had a stroke this year, we'll be grilling steaks and baked potatos at my BIL's house.

Edited by Pointyhead, 04 November 2004 - 03:03 PM.

#6 EPHSRAIDERFBALLMOM

EPHSRAIDERFBALLMOM

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:01 PM

MY WHOLE FAMILY IS PRETTY MUCH FROM GEORGIA. CORNBREAD DRESSING, BUT NO CELERY IN IT. MY EX SISTER IN LAW WAS FROM NEW YORK AND SHE ALWAYS WANTED TO STUFF THE BIRD WITH OYSTER STUFFING (YUCK) A COUPLE OF MY FAVORITE THANKSGIVING DISHES ARE SQUASH CASSEROLE AND SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE. AND DON'T FORGET THE PUMKIN PE, BANANA PUDDING............

#7 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,534 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:14 PM

Grew up in a house divided, so we always had both. Stuffing in the bird, and dressing outside. Giblet Gravy with the neck, heart and gizzard. Creamed onions, sweet potatoe casserole with marshmellows, wild rice, baby green peas, biscuits, pumpkin pie and pecan pie.

But alas, we discovered smoked turkey 10-15 years ago and then fried turkey 5 years ago, so its only outside dressing now. The stuffing gets a bit messy when you fry the bird.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#8 georgiagammy

georgiagammy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

its stuffing to me too im from the north - dressing to me would be salad dressing
live for today

#9 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (surepip @ Nov 4 2004, 05:14 PM)
Giblet Gravy with the neck, heart and gizzard.

Y'all can keep the giblet gravy. I make it for everyone else, but I cannot stand it myself. ohmy.gif

- Sam Levenson

#10 Dallas Dance

Dallas Dance

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:20 PM

Now I am starving. Cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, mashed tators, giblet gravey, My family likes 4 layer delight and chocolate cake made from scratch. I can't wait now.

Producing our 14th annual Nutcracker performance

Dallas Dance

Accepting Registration for Fall Classes

770-445-8935
We Bring Excellence in Dance Education to Paulding County

Established in 1983

Zumba Classes adults Thursdays 7-8

www.dallasschoolofdance.com

We are in our 28th year of dance in Paulding County
email us @ Dallasdance24@yahoo.com

Bring a freind and get a free month of dance or

come and get your first class free!
18th month classes,

Adult classes and all the ages in the middle

#11 georgiagammy

georgiagammy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:22 PM

turnip yummy
live for today

#12 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (georgiagammy @ Nov 4 2004, 05:17 PM)
its stuffing to me too im from the north - dressing to me would be salad dressing

laugh.gif laugh.gif That's what my Pittsburgh husband thought the first time I told him what I was making! He's a convert now, though, but he still slips and calls it "stuffing" from time to time. I know what he means. wink.gif

- Sam Levenson

#13 georgiagammy

georgiagammy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:30 PM

thats funny if someone told me to pass the dressing id look at him and ask for the bottle
live for today

#14 learjet25d

learjet25d

Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:31 PM

This is making me very hungry.

QUOTE (GaBelle3639 @ Nov 4 2004, 03:26 PM)
laugh.gif  laugh.gif  That's what my Pittsburgh husband thought the first time I told him what I was making!  He's a convert now, though, but he still slips and calls it "stuffing" from time to time.  I know what he means.  wink.gif

"I distrust those people who know so
well what God wants them to do because
I notice it always coincides with
their own desires."

---Susan B. Anthony

#15 georgiagammy

georgiagammy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:33 PM

i cant wait to pig out on thanksgiving is it here yet?
live for today

#16 Melodie

Melodie

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:17 PM

I also grew up in a 1/2 Southern - 1/2 northern home, so we always have both Stuffing and Dressing. I love Both!!
Our Thanksgiving Meal always include:
Turkey with Stuffing
Cornbread Dressing
Giblet Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
2 - Sweet Potato Casserole Souflee's (one with Pecan Topping - one with Marshmallows)
Green Beans
Noodles
Fruit Salad
Stuffed Eggs
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Cranberry Salad
Broccoli Casserole
Pecan Pie
Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake

Wow, I just realized this is a lot of food for our small family. But, the leftovers last a long time.........
Yum... rolleyes.gif Can't wait!!

#17 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Melodie @ Nov 4 2004, 06:17 PM)
I also grew up in a 1/2 Southern - 1/2 northern home, so we always have both Stuffing and Dressing.  I love Both!!
Our Thanksgiving Meal always include:
Turkey with Stuffing
Cornbread Dressing
Giblet Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
2 - Sweet Potato Casserole Souflee's (one with Pecan Topping - one with Marshmallows)
Green Beans
Noodles
Fruit Salad
Stuffed Eggs
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Cranberry Salad
Broccoli Casserole
Pecan Pie
Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake

Wow, I just realized this is a lot of food for our small family.  But, the leftovers last a long time.........
Yum... rolleyes.gif  Can't wait!!

OMG, I forgot about the deviled eggs, broccoli casserole and...turnip greens w/pepper sauce!

- Sam Levenson

#18 mermaidmom

mermaidmom

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:33 PM

Ditto everything Melodie said but add pumpkin pie to that.
And am I the only one who grew up where we also made oyster dressing?!! My dad and i loved it...no one else would eat it!!! LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif
While focused on life's destination....enjoy the journey!!!

#19 Chairman

Chairman

Icon

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:56 PM

OMG
This is a great topic. My mom's family is from here, dad's is from Atlanta. Yet my mom always stuffed the Turkey. It was great. I hated "dressing" as a kid cause I got used to stuffing. Fast forward to 1984. Married a girl from Chattanooga. She had no clue about stuffing a Turkey. Fought me tooth and nail on the idea. Finally she agreed to do both at Thanksgiving. Now she makes the best "stuffing" you ever had. Giblets, pecans, celery, all kinds of good stuff. I believe I would run across I-285 with a blindfold on at 3 in the afternoon for a plate of that. It is so good I make "stuffing" sandwiches on loaf bread and take them deer hunting all Thanksgiving weekend long. It never lasts past Sunday.
Gotta go now I am hungry.
Jerry S

#20 Ellen

Ellen

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 05:52 PM

Dressing of course! Old leftover cornbread and biscuits that are in the freezer right now.

I boil the neck, heart and gizzard and feed them to the animals that live with us.

For my gravy I boil a hen, use most of the meat in the dressing and some in the gravy along with sauteed onions and celery.

YUMMY!

I make a cranberry gelatin with fresh cranberries, sugar, toasted pecans and just a little orange peel. Crunchy, sweet and tart all at the same time. That thing is delicious.

We got into the turkey frying mode a few years back too. I will never bake another turkey on Thanksgiving. (unless I have to) rolleyes.gif
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Ellen

#21 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,811 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:36 PM

our Thanksgiving meal consist of:

Turkey, and Ham
dressing
deviled eggs
collards
giblet gray
cranberry sauce
english peas, some call them sweet peas
green bean cassrole
mac and cheese
and then for dessert
the all famous alka seltzer
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#22 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:56 PM

It's 'dressing' in my family. My mother and grandmother make the best, hands down. smile.gif

As for *fried* turkeys - yuk! I had my first taste of fried turkey last year at my brother-in-law's house, and if I never have it again it'll be too soon. blink.gif Give me baked hen any time!

#23 neese

neese

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:33 PM

From here and it's all about cornbread dressin!!

#24 sew-n-craft

sew-n-craft

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:57 AM

So, what exactly is the difference between stuffing and dressing, other than the obvious, that stuffing is inside the turkey? Is dressing always made with cornbread?

I'm from Illinois...we always had turkey with stuffing made from white bread, celery, onion, poultry seasoning, lots of sage, butter and juice from boiling the turkey neck. Now, since it was the favorite and we had such a huge family, my mom always made a separate pan of stuffing...would that actually be dressing since it wasn't in the turkey?

Plus, of course, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (baked simply with brown sugar and butter), broccoli casserole, huge relish tray, fruit salad, rolls, and homemade apple and pumpkin pies. I am happy to say I carry on the traditional foods my mom made for my family; on a much smaller scale, of course.

mermaidmom, I had oyster "dressing", I guess, because it wasn't in the turkey...at a friend's house a couple of years ago and it was delicious!

I can hardly believe Thanksgiving is almost upon us once again...I hope everyone has a terrific holiday with family and friends; all traditions are wonderful!
The only place housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary.

#25 downtempo73

downtempo73

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (learjet25d @ Nov 4 2004, 03:50 PM)
You are correct GaBelle.

I like dressing better since it is a bit dryer than stuffing.  My grandma makes the best dressing...

learjet, there you go being controversial again, because my grandma makes the best dressing! biggrin.gif

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move. - Douglas Adams

#26 retiredteacher

retiredteacher

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:56 PM

I'm a half-breed, too. We always had both but I never realized that it was regional. My Yankee Daddy and I liked the stuffing and everybody else wanted the crusty dressing. I don't stuff a turkey these days but I make mine in a covered casserole which keeps it from drying out as much. Love my grandmama's dressing recipe!

We always had rice and gravy instead of potatoes and Grandmother always made ambrosia just for me. Baby butterbeans and silver queen corn put up during the summer and sweet potato souffle. Yum, yum!

RIP sweet Ashton. We will never forget you.

#27 dancingranny

dancingranny

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 06:26 PM

at my house on thanksgiving we cook everything under the sun that we can think of. from turkey and DRESSING , ham, turkey dumplings, potatoe casserole, broccoli casserole,corn green beans, turnip greens, macaroni and cheese, banana pudding, black walnut cake, and any other weird recipe my mom can cook up. we start cooking on monday nite and don't finish until thursday morning. and besides corn bread is from the south so it is DRESSING.
I am smilin cuz they have finally driven me crazy!

#28 DaisyMae

DaisyMae

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:15 PM

Ya'll are making me So Hungry!! and I just ate biggrin.gif
Since we usually go to my Aunt's home. Everyone brings a covered dish or two.
Most of the time her dinning room table is full. All sweets go on another table.
I can't hardly wait.

#29 cherokeewoman

cherokeewoman

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:38 AM

My mother always made cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving for the whole(large) family and a little extra so everyone could take some leftovers home.
The Thanksgiving before she was diagnosed with non hopkins lymphonia, she actually came to my house, and we made the dressing together. After that Thanksgiving she passed away with the disease. I cherish that day that she taught me her secrets. I now make the dressing for our family get together, down to the last dot in her directions. I will hand down the makings to others, it is the main course of out Thanksgiving get together. You have to boil a hen, to use the broth, cornbread, biscuits(just the right amount) celery, onions, just a touch of sage, eggs, cream of chicken soup. Every year, I tell my Mom to look over my shoulder to make sure I get it right. No complaints so far.
I cherish that Thanksgiving lesson from her.

#30 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,534 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:10 AM

CW,
Your inherited "dressing" story is one of the greatest things that families are for. I came along too late to learn near what I would have liked to from the previous generations. We are doing all that we can to make sure that does not happen with the generation behind us. I love to cook, but it has been at the behest of a trial and error teacher.

The elections are behind us, and we have new battles to fight. We are ready [we will find the time] to go forward with some serious revamping of our zoning laws. Are you still "in" ?
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#31 Ellen

Ellen

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:16 AM

Cherokeewoman

Your recipe for dressing sounds a lot like mine. Same ingredients. I can't remember my Mother's dressing, by the time I got to the age of rememering things my sister was doing a lot of the cooking for Thanksgiving. She was always trying new things and they were always tasty.

I learned to make dressing from my Mother in law of my younger years. Lucille Osborne. Now there was a great cook. The old cornbread and biscuits crumbled just the right amount, sage and eggs. I have made ' trial and error' additions over the years but the basics came from Lucille. She does not cook too much these days, she turned mega_shok.gif this past September, but she still loves a good meal. I still visit her when I have the time. Precious lady.

I am so glad you learned from your Mother before her passing. smile.gif

My Mother made her biscuits by dipping out Crisco with her hand and pouring buttermilk into a huge holding bowl filled with flour. She would stand there and stir around with her hand and in a few minutes start placing biscuits on the pan. The flour in the bowl, although less, was intact. I tried several times and made the biggest mess each time. I just gave up and use a spoon to mix mine and then have to put them in flour to be able to roll them in my hands.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Ellen

#32 Bumplett

Bumplett

bumpity bump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:11 AM

oh you guys are great!!!! my idea of the perfect thanksgiving dinner is green bean casserole, nothing else, just lots and lots of green bean casserole......... when it is no longer possible for my mother to spend every waking minute of thanksgiving day in the kitchen, she shall hand down to me the ability to take them out to ryan's for dinner.......... ((bet you couldnt guess that i DO NOT cook!))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted Image

Don't BREED or BUY while SHELTER PETS DIE!!!

"A sensible man knows you can't please everybody. A wise man knows you can't please anybody." Richard Needham

#33 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Bumplett @ Nov 7 2004, 01:11 PM)
oh you guys are great!!!!  my idea of the perfect thanksgiving dinner is green bean casserole, nothing else, just lots and lots of green bean casserole......... when it is no longer possible for my mother to spend every waking minute of thanksgiving day in the kitchen, she shall hand down to me the ability to take them out to ryan's for dinner.......... ((bet you couldnt guess that i DO NOT cook!))

Me too! Green bean carrserole is the deal! rolleyes.gif

- Sam Levenson

#34 Nanny

Nanny

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

My family is from the north, so I was raised to stuff.

Now my hubby was raised in Cobb and we fix dressing.
I really like the dressing better then stuffing. & I can do both blum.gif smile.gif

#35 QTee

QTee

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:00 PM

It took me a while is respond to this thread, due to the fact I fell out of my chair and onto the floor!!

Why did I fall, you ask?

Simple....

NO One has said anything about Cream Corn!!!!!

We cant have ANY big family dinner without Cream Corn!!!

mmmmmmmm ...Just the thought of cream corn makes me wanna go cook some! blum.gif

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think ~QTee 2/12/2008

#36 Pointyhead

Pointyhead

Mmmm, Doritos!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Pointyhead @ Nov 4 2004, 02:57 PM)
We always have turkey as well as ham, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy only made with chicken necks and no innards, fried okra, cream corn, green beans, rolls, potato salad, congealed salad, fruit salad, field peas, and cranberry sauce, the kind with whole berries for me, the smooth kind for the rest of the family. And cokes, tea, and coffee.

Desesrt is always pecan pie, and banana pudding.

Forgot to add the sweet potato suffle' and the mashed potatoes.
But since my MIL had a stroke this year, we'll be grilling steaks and baked potatos at my BIL's house.

QTee, did too. did too. Check my post.

#37 West Metro Realty

West Metro Realty

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:49 PM

QTee, if you cook some creamed corn, could you invite me over? I love real creamed corn that is not out of a can!

Thanksgiving is usually a Sparti get-to-gether rather than a Fann (my maiden name) get-to-gether. Therefore, the turkey and dressing is incidental. We cook it to appease the American tradition, but then we break out the spaghetti, scaciatta, Italian homemade bread, roasted peppers, and all those other Italian dishes. Thanksgiving usually turns into a few days of family coming into town to my house.
Choose the Real Estate Agents at West Metro Realty for all of your real estate needs. PauldingRealEstate.com
http://www.paulding.com/ads/Westmetro2008.swf

#38 Luke

Luke

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:45 AM

From the south got to have dressing wink.gif
Love heels all wounds in time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users