Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

To parents of teenage kids with autism......

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

I've started noticing that my son seems to be going through round two of some sensory issues that he had seemingly outgrown... did any of you notice these things as puberty set in? Just wondering..... We went out to eat a few days ago and the smell in the restaurant forced him to eat outside. He also seems to be more sensitive to food textures and tastes lately... causing him to gag.

#2 GinGi

GinGi

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (ReadingRules @ Jan 10 2008, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've started noticing that my son seems to be going through round two of some sensory issues that he had seemingly outgrown... did any of you notice these things as puberty set in? Just wondering..... We went out to eat a few days ago and the smell in the restaurant forced him to eat outside. He also seems to be more sensitive to food textures and tastes lately... causing him to gag.

Yes, my son is going through puberty as well and loud noises seem to disturbing him again lately. He has mentioned this several times when he hasn't seemed to have a problem with it for quite some time. Don't know the significance though.

#3 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:16 AM

For mine, puberty is when it got more noticable. I think it is a time for LOTS of changes. I am glad we made it through as easy as we have.

#4 Beau Weneroux

Beau Weneroux

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

The only real difference i have noticed this weekend was flapping. We were out riding on the motorcycle and she discovered "the wind". She kept waving and flapping her arms out to the sides, but most people do that anyway. I still catch myself doing it in a truck with an open window. Other than that, it is still small strides and small achievements. No losses, only small gains. Little surprises come out like saying Walmart, water, bubble, ball, and ride. She is non verbal. Other great changes are, she now is intersted in her new Dynavox, and is flipping through the screens too fast for me to follow. I am very proud of her. She has been using words appropriately through her Dynavox and when she came home from school, she kept pressing pizza. According to the note from school, she had got in trouble for taking another childs pizza at lunch yesterday. Either she was telling us about it, or she still wanted some. We ordered pizza for dinner last night.

#5 history101

history101

On the far side of Insanity

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,935 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

So, the good new is, the sensory issues get better...
the bad new is, they come back blink.gif ...

Great, just great...mine started flipping the other nigh cause the dryer was buzzing (I must have accidently turned the knob)...

ETA: Are your children Asperger's Autism...seems that Fishinthec (sp?) is very high functioning?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 wenfen2

wenfen2

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:42 AM

My husbands sister,Kathy,lives in Flagler Beach, Fla, and her son Hampton, is 14, with autism. I was unable to go to Fla this Thanksgiving with my husband and daughter, due to work, but they said it was a rough visit. Hampton physically attacked Kathy, and he is a BIG boy-he is 200 lbs or more. When he gets frustrated, he is developinga historyof becoming pretty violent. My husband had to step between them so that Hampton would back down. She is pretty much beside herself at this point. He is in school ( however its been a tough ride there- he has gone after teachers and other students on occasion) and is on meds as well, has been for a long time. He just cant deal with frustration at all-its obvious when it starts becoming to much for him- he hoots ( "HooooooHooooooooHOOOoooooooHOOOOOO ) then ( eyeYAIYAIYAIYAIYAIYAIYAIYAI!!!!!!!!) all the while slamming his open palm on his belly, then he strikes out. He flaps on a pretty consistent basis, and flicks water constantly. The pictures I am adding are of my husband and daughter with Hampton on Thanksgiving Day, after dinner.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0001a.jpg

Attached Images

• 476227404306_0_SM.jpg
  • 502747404306_0_SM.jpg
  • 751417404306_0_SM.jpg

#7 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

Thank you all for the information! There's comfort in numbers! smile.gif Tonight, I was eating fish from Captain D's. I'd put vinegar on it and he started coughing, which was a lead into gagging... which would lead into throwing up. You get the picture... All from SMELLING vinegar from one tiny little package and had to go outside for fresh air... geeze, here we go!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

#8 SeaShell

SeaShell

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (ReadingRules @ Jan 11 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you all for the information! There's comfort in numbers! smile.gif Tonight, I was eating fish from Captain D's. I'd put vinegar on it and he started coughing, which was a lead into gagging... which would lead into throwing up. You get the picture... All from SMELLING vinegar from one tiny little package and had to go outside for fresh air... geeze, here we go!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

Hey Reading,

I'm sorry you guys are going through this. Gosh, that's the way I felt when I was pregnant about certain smells. Are you enjoying your new career?

SeaShell

#9 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (SeaShell @ Jan 12 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Reading,

I'm sorry you guys are going through this. Gosh, that's the way I felt when I was pregnant about certain smells. Are you enjoying your new career?

SeaShell

Thanks SeaShell...
I'm loving my new career... I actually get to work with kids without the paperwork, politics, and attitudes. smile.gif

#10 SeaShell

SeaShell

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (ReadingRules @ Jan 12 2008, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks SeaShell...
I'm loving my new career... I actually get to work with kids without the paperwork, politics, and attitudes. smile.gif

THAT would be a truely WONDERFUL thing!

#11 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (SeaShell @ Jan 12 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THAT would be a truely WONDERFUL thing!

It is! biggrin.gif I saw someone from your area today and she said... my gosh, you look GREAT... stress free! NOTHING like stress free! I miss the paycheck and especially the benefits, but all of our needs have been met... God is good and my business continues to grow. I love working with the babies... it's very rewarding, not to mention just plain fun! The kids I tutor are great kids and I'm really able to give each one the one on one time they need. Basically... I'm getting to do what I became a teacher to do... help kids! smile.gif

#12 SeaShell

SeaShell

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (ReadingRules @ Jan 12 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is! biggrin.gif I saw someone from your area today and she said... my gosh, you look GREAT... stress free! NOTHING like stress free! I miss the paycheck and especially the benefits, but all of our needs have been met... God is good and my business continues to grow. I love working with the babies... it's very rewarding, not to mention just plain fun! The kids I tutor are great kids and I'm really able to give each one the one on one time they need. Basically... I'm getting to do what I became a teacher to do... help kids! smile.gif

That's great, RR. It's amazing the difference stress can make, isn't it?

#13 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,147 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Along this same topic my son, like most, had sensory issues with 'things' ...

Anyway, I had to take the trailer full of garbage to the dump and I put my Austin to work. He wasn't getting after it but he was doing the job of tossing the garbage bags into the pile.

The biggest problem he had was when one of the bags would drip some water on his shoes. That bothered him and he'd stop to brush it off.

Toward the end he was using a shovel to toss the items out and was quite diligent in getting the smaller pieces of errant garbage (paper, etc.) from the floor of the trailer.

I have to admit that the offer of a trip to Taco Bell was a good incentive but truly I was proud of his ability to suck it up and do the task if for no other reason I didn't have to do it smile.gif

pubby

PS: He actually did complain a lot less than my teenage daughter who normally gets the task of helping out at the dump.

#14 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (PUBBY @ Feb 25 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Along this same topic my son, like most, had sensory issues with 'things' ...

Anyway, I had to take the trailer full of garbage to the dump and I put my Austin to work. He wasn't getting after it but he was doing the job of tossing the garbage bags into the pile.

The biggest problem he had was when one of the bags would drip some water on his shoes. That bothered him and he'd stop to brush it off.

Toward the end he was using a shovel to toss the items out and was quite diligent in getting the smaller pieces of errant garbage (paper, etc.) from the floor of the trailer.

I have to admit that the offer of a trip to Taco Bell was a good incentive but truly I was proud of his ability to suck it up and do the task if for no other reason I didn't have to do it smile.gif

pubby

PS: He actually did complain a lot less than my teenage daughter who normally gets the task of helping out at the dump.

This sounds so familiar, Pubby. My son (17 yo) sometimes drives me nuts with the sensory issues. He cannot stand to get dirty. His sense of smell seems to have gotten more intense these days too. He does quite a good job of sucking it up and pushing through his issues though. He works at Kroger and sometimes he has to handle things that really gross him out but he has been there for 2 years and continues to make the best of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics