48 replies to this topic

#41 TheLeCroyGang

TheLeCroyGang

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Thanks!! Both of you. I will have to try those and see if they measure up. I have searched and found MANY different recipes, just never knew which one to try.
Don't tell God about your storms, Tell the storms about Your God!

#42 Cuteyellowbug

Cuteyellowbug

Textually Active

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (WendyLeCroy @ Dec 8 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone have a "real" old-fashioned fudge recipe to share? Gommie (my grandmother) used to make it before she passed and I can not get ahold of her recipe. Mom used to have it, but it seems to have been lost, or misplaced, during moving. I know it had cocoa powder, sugar, etc...no choc chips or marshmallow cream. We would cook it to soft ball stage for icing or hard ball for fudge. I think that's how we did it..it's been 20+ years since I've "helped" her make this.

Here's one from Elton Brown.. I watched his show while he was making this... Ooooo, it looked good!

http://www.foodnetwo...6_26073,00.html

2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter, half-and-half, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot. Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes or until it drops to 130 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte. Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

#43 The General

The General

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

Your are Welcome!!!!

#44 1stimemom

1stimemom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

One year I did Buckeyes, one year I did croissants from scratch with home made jelly and butter (that was before I had a child wink.gif tongue.gif ). This year I'm doing Neiman Marcus cookies. They are delicious!!
2 cups butter 1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar 2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups brown sugar 2 tsp. soda
4 eggs 24 oz. chocolate chips
2 tsp. vanilla 1-8 oz. Hershey bar, grated
4 cups flour 3 cups chopped nuts
5 cups blended oatmeal*

Cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together with
flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey
bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes at 375. Makes 112 cookies (recipe may be halved).

* Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

Posted Image

#45 MrsApple

MrsApple

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Cuteyellowbug @ Dec 8 2007, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's one from Elton Brown.. I watched his show while he was making this... Ooooo, it looked good!

http://www.foodnetwo...6_26073,00.html

2 3/4 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped, roasted nuts, optional

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter, half-and-half, and corn syrup. Over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved and chocolate is melted. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot. Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees F. Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter. Do not stir. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes or until it drops to 130 degrees F. Add vanilla and nuts, if desired, and mix until well-blended and the shiny texture becomes matte. Pour into the prepared pan. Let sit in cool dry area until firm. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

That does sound good!
QUOTE (1stimemom @ Dec 8 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One year I did Buckeyes, one year I did croissants from scratch with home made jelly and butter (that was before I had a child wink.gif tongue.gif ). This year I'm doing Neiman Marcus cookies. They are delicious!!
2 cups butter 1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar 2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups brown sugar 2 tsp. soda
4 eggs 24 oz. chocolate chips
2 tsp. vanilla 1-8 oz. Hershey bar, grated
4 cups flour 3 cups chopped nuts
5 cups blended oatmeal*

Cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together with
flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey
bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes at 375. Makes 112 cookies (recipe may be halved).

* Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

I think you posted this recipe one other time and made my mouth water just as much then!

Posted Image

#46 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

I just did my candy making today. I made fudge, turtle balls and of course...my hubby's favorite...peanut butter ritz dipped in chocolate. I have to make candy for hubby to take to work every year.

#47 Handyman Steve

Handyman Steve

Helping whoever whenever we can

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (lillaroo @ Dec 8 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All next week, starting tomorrow. I make it for the staff at my school. I love to bake but my kids are so picky that they won't eat any of it, and I'm not married. So I look for any excuse to make candy or any other recipe.

hmm, ok,
<---------excuse
biggrin.gif Nemie

CALL HANDYMAN STEVE
for any Repairs, Handyman services, or remodeling.
34 years experience in construction
678 567 5198

#48 broken sea shell

broken sea shell

All is well

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

I have not even started usually we are baking by now..
we make Kolachikis (spelling i know is wrong), Cut out sugar cookies, peanut butter kiss cookies, M&M cookies, chocolate cookies with p/b chips, chocolate chip cookies (family recipe from my husbands side of the family), peanut butter balls, I know there are a few more but I am sleep deprived. I hope to bake next week and weekend.

QUOTE (ABC123 @ Dec 8 2007, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I love peanut butter balls, but changed the recipe to milk chocolate instead of semi sweet! AHHHHHHH chocolate....... tongue.gif

I changed mine too LOL

#49 Vicki Vale

Vicki Vale

Let's face it. You're not exactly normal, are you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (1stimemom @ Dec 8 2007, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One year I did Buckeyes, one year I did croissants from scratch with home made jelly and butter (that was before I had a child wink.gif tongue.gif ).

I remember those days... one year for my husbands 18 employees...I made cheesecakes. And they weren't the no bake kind wacko.gif !

QUOTE (~*LB*~ @ Dec 9 2007, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I changed mine too LOL

GREAT MINDS!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics