24 replies to this topic

#1 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

Anybody have a good recipe for some homemade chicken and dumplins. I want to make some tomorrow, but mine in the past just hasn't been very good.

Tell me how you make your dumplins and what seasonings you use and the whole nine yards.

TIA

#2 sooch

sooch

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

DG, I sure wish I knew how to make them too. My momma could make the best ones. There is really an art to it I think. Now I like really thin dumplins but some people like them really thick. I made some one time (like my momma made them laugh.gif ) and my dogs wouldn't even eat them. GOOD LUCK! biggrin.gif
[

#3 MelissaGail

MelissaGail

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (sooch @ Nov 10 2007, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DG, I sure wish I knew how to make them too. My momma could make the best ones. There is really an art to it I think. Now I like really thin dumplins but some people like them really thick. I made some one time (like my momma made them laugh.gif ) and my dogs wouldn't even eat them. GOOD LUCK! biggrin.gif

I wouldn't have admitted that! tongue.gif laugh.gif

#4 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,811 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

I cooked some the other night... or should I say Hubby and I both cooked them LOL

he rolled the dough out. mine always turns out to thick whe nI make them.. LOL
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#5 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Nov 10 2007, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody have a good recipe for some homemade chicken and dumplins. I want to make some tomorrow, but mine in the past just hasn't been very good.

Tell me how you make your dumplins and what seasonings you use and the whole nine yards.

TIA

I'm SOOOO coming to your house for dinner!
That's what I wanted tonight, but I got out voted.
Pick and choose your battles and this is one I don't need to fight right now.

I don't have recipe. I was just gonna hit the frozen food dept! laugh.gif
My Grandma probably just rolled over in her grave! God rest her soul!

Edited by Blondiega1, 10 November 2007 - 12:37 PM.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#6 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,491 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

I make a great chicken soup with noodles, but dumplings are a great change ..... would love to have a great recipe for dumplings!
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#7 Guest_Oscar_*

Guest_Oscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:07 PM

#8 kelwil

kelwil

if they are gossiping to you .. they are gossiping bout you ...

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,852 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

Biscuits: 2 cups white lilly flour (self-rising)
1/4 cup oil
about 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk

Mix by spoon until just mixed enough to put on floured wax paper. Then kneed it just enough to make it to where you can roll it out. Roll out ... n drop in the boiling chicken broth ... make sure your chicken broth is boiling when you drop them or they wont cook right tho ... good luck... btw you make biscuit dough for ya dumplins ... is why it says biscuits ...

Edited by kelwil, 10 November 2007 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

#9 telracs eracniks

telracs eracniks

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

My my makes them with ... get this...flour toria's (sp?) pre-made from the grocery store! Cut them in strips 1" strips. Cook a small chicken in a boiling pot and cook it and use the stock, add some water and some of the chicken and drop the strips in and let them cook. They cook in an hour or so. They are very tasty and very easy to make....of course salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

My brother makes great chicken and dumplins...don't have that recipe though!

Chili sounds good to me on a cold day w/cheese and sour cream on top! mmmmm..... happy.gif

#10 busymomof3

busymomof3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

Get a Rotisserie(?) chicken at any store-traditional seasoning
3 cans chicken broth
poultry seasoning
Bisquick
buttermilk(or sweet milk if you prefer)

Shred chicken, boil broth w/ as much or as little seasoning as you like.
Mix Bisquick and milk according to directions on box (for Dumplings) and drop by tsp fulls into boil broth.
Let dumplings fluff up, add chicken and let boil for about 15 min!
YUM O

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

#11 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

Here's one I found. Gonna try it tomarraday.
Let ya'll know how it turns out!

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can milk
1 can water
1 pkg. Frozen Sweet Peas
1 pkg. Frozen Carrot Slices
1/2 stick butter
1 pkg. of 12 small flour tortillas (or 6-8 large flour tortillas)

Boil chicken with butter until tender and pull chicken apart into chunks.
To the broth add 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can cream of mushroom soup,
1 can of water, 1 can of milk and frozen peas and carrots.
Stir in cooked chicken.
Cook till vegetables are tender.
Cut tortillas into 1 inch squares and add to mixture a few at a time.
Cook until dumplings are tender and cut easily with a fork.
Salt and pepper to taste.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#12 missocd

missocd

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

I just boil the chicken until done. I take self-rising flour and and milk and make a dough that I can roll into a tube shape and pinch them off and drop them into the boiling chicken broth. Just add season to taste. This is what we grew up on. Oh I forgot shred chicken up and put in the pot before done.(hint) make them pretty big beacuse they will cook down. smile.gif

#13 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

I am SOOOO looking forward to this now!

#14 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

I've got a great recipe for Chicken and Slick Dumplings from a Southern Living Heritage Cookbook that I wanted to post, and actually started to, but once I started adding all my "secret" additions I decided that it would probably take you more time than you care to invest laugh.gif

They are great though!

The one and only time I did the "drop" dumplings for my husband, right after we were married, I got too anxious and took the lid off and stirred a little. Needless to say, we had a really good pot of homemade cream of chicken soup. laugh.gif

I've tried the tortilla thing and they just didn't come out right. Easier, most definately, but just not as good.

#15 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I am going to try and make some this week.

I love Folks chicken and dumplings, and get them for lunch when I am at work sometimes. I have even called in and ordered a gallon of them before, and taken them home for dinner, but for some reason, they don't taste the same when I do that. And it costs about $30. When I get a gallon of them, they always taste bland when I get home with them. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it is like that, but it is. I have never been disappointed with there lunch size containers, and they always hit the spot.

#16 Miss D

Miss D

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

We need a good chicken and dumpling recipe for "Cooking with PCOM" if anyone is willing to share. You'll get credit in the cookbook. This is a fundraising project.

BTW I make the recipe I learned from mom and they are thick, light dumplings and yummie!

Thanks!
Miss D

Send your submission to pdthigpen@yahoo.com. "Cooking with PCOM" will be available in time for the gift giving season. We are accepting recipes in all food catagories thru 11/18 and I'll be at the Sparkles fundraiser to accept last minute recipes and sell business ads for the cookbook.
September 25 is Ataxia Awareness Day[I][COLOR=blue][B]

#17 C Mark Palm

C Mark Palm

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

Last night was chili with big, fat, dark red kidney beans (YUM-O) and ground turkey that simmered for about 9 hours in the crock pot. I also made a huge cake of corn bread and crumbled up the cruncy crust in the bowl, covered that with chili and topped it with sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar.

And dessert was home made sweet potato muffins. The house still smells good this morning.

Dangit, now I'm hungry.

#18 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:01 AM

I use Bisquick for my dumplings. Really easy and really good plump dumplings.
If I throw a stick will you leave??.

Look, you half a$$ed, over opinionated, misinformed, semi-literate, insolent, inconsiderate, ungrateful jackasses, take your Christian baiting, Bush bashing, grammatically incorrect, misspelled, ill-punctuated questions and comments and find somewhere else to play!!!.

#19 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

Yesterday I cooked up another huge pot of potato soup with ham chunks (my family can't seem to get enough), and spaghetti, and manwiches. That way dinner is cooked for a few nights, and the family can pick which one they want. I also bought what I need for a pot of regular chili, white chicken chili, and chicken and dumplins, except for the meat. I will go by Patak's and get me some great ground meat tomorrow, and go by Sam's and get me a couple big packs of their boneless skinless chicken thighs for dumplins and chicken chili.

I like doing dinners this way, because then I am not rushing home from work everyday trying to figure out what were having, and getting it done at a decent time. Weeks when I am not prepared, dinner tends to be hot dogs, or grilled cheese sandwiches or something, which is good once in a while, but not all the time.

#20 PauldingMom

PauldingMom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

I use the recipe on the bisquick box.
Carpe Diem.
Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart

Erma Bombeck
Sometimes nothing is a cool hand.

#21 Skooter92

Skooter92

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (kelwil @ Nov 10 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1/4 cup oil

Mix by spoon until just mixed enough to put on floured wax paper. Then kneed it just enough to make it to where you can roll it out. Roll out ... n drop in the boiling chicken broth ... make sure your chicken broth is boiling when you drop them or they wont cook right tho ... good luck... btw you make biscuit dough for ya dumplins ... is why it says biscuits ...

instead of milk use water...I use evaporated milk in my broth so that helps with the "creamy-ness".

the only seasonings I put in mine are salt & pepper...a good bit of pepper. blush.gif
I try to make mine like Granny made them & I have succeeded. :YAY ME: but Granny's secret was the water in biscuit dough vs. milk...my dumplings always went poof in the broth...then she told me the secret of the water.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

"They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?"~Princess Diana~

#22 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Nov 12 2007, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yesterday I cooked up another huge pot of potato soup with ham chunks (my family can't seem to get enough), and spaghetti, and manwiches. That way dinner is cooked for a few nights, and the family can pick which one they want. I also bought what I need for a pot of regular chili, white chicken chili, and chicken and dumplins, except for the meat. I will go by Patak's and get me some great ground meat tomorrow, and go by Sam's and get me a couple big packs of their boneless skinless chicken thighs for dumplins and chicken chili.

I like doing dinners this way, because then I am not rushing home from work everyday trying to figure out what were having, and getting it done at a decent time. Weeks when I am not prepared, dinner tends to be hot dogs, or grilled cheese sandwiches or something, which is good once in a while, but not all the time.

Dallasgirl, for really rich tasty broth you really need some chicken bones. Even the skin adds to the flavor. I normally simmer a whole chicken, remove it from the broth when it's done, debone the chicken and refrigerate the broth until the fat solidifies on the top and remove that. You're left with some really good rich broth. I usually add onion, celery and carrots in big chunks to add to the flavor and then remove them before I make my C & D.

#23 TomTom69

TomTom69

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

I sometimes use canned biscuits. Cut them up in small squares and drop them in cook until done, this works good especially if you are short on time.

#24 mrsbhavn

mrsbhavn

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (kelwil @ Nov 10 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1/4 cup oil

How long do you cook them in the broth? Covered or uncovered while they cook?

#25 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (mrsbhavn @ Nov 12 2007, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long do you cook them in the broth? Covered or uncovered while they cook?

I would say covered, and don't stir!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics