6 replies to this topic

#1 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

Called to preach on p.com

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

OK. This is not my Grandma's recipe, but I thought I'd embellish a bit to get some of you good cooks to try these recipes with the "special" ingredient.

CHEDDAR SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH CRISPY CORNBREAD CRUMBS

1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. butter
10 cups sliced yellow squash
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 2-oz. jar chopped pimientos, undrained
1/4 to 1/2 cup finely-chopped country ham (optional)
2 cups cornbread crumbs

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.

Cook onion in 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add squash and water. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Mash squash with a fork to break up large pieces. Stir in cheese and pimientos. Continue cooking uncovered for a few more minutes, until thick and creamy. Stir in country ham, if desired. Pour the squash into greased baking dish. Sprinkle cornbread crumbs evenly over the top. Dot with the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly, and the topping is golden brown.

Makes 8 servings.

MUSHROOMS AND PEARL ONIONS IN TENNESSEE CREAM SAUCE

2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1-1/2 lbs. assorted fresh mushrooms, quartered
1/3 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 oz. frozen pearl onions
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley

Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Stir in mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mushrooms appear dry, about 2 minutes. Stir in Jack Daniel's and garlic; bring to a boil, and simmer over medium-high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Mushrooms will shrink as they cook. Stir in the onions, cream and chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring frequently, while the sauce reduces and thickens, about 10 minutes. Be patient and allow the sauce to thicken and nicely coat the vegetables. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.

Makes 6 servings.

Pumpkin patch squares

2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup oil
2 cups pumpkin puree
2 tbsp. Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
2 tsp. vanilla
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish. Combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, pumpkin puree, Jack Daniel's, and vanilla until smooth. Pour batter into greased baking dish. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned, firm on the top, and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the dish. Cool, and spread with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8-oz. package cream cheese softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 tbsp. Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 16-oz. box powdered sugar

Cream the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the Jack Daniel's, vanilla and cinnamon. Gradually add in the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Spread on the cooled Pumpkin Patch cake.
"Great men wake up to slay dragons. Most are content to chase lizards. Therein lies the difference. Live Brave."

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 cherokeewoman

cherokeewoman

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:15 AM

TBAR - the squash dish did not have Jack Daniels in it? Was it suppose to have? all the others did.
Have you always been such a cook, did the mil teach you?
Will try the squash, minus the pimentos, don't like them. Otherwise this sounds yummy. Have to cook lots of cornbread to go in the dressing for Thanksgiving, so will add the squash cass. to my list Thanks.

#3 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:20 AM

oooh! you should submit these for the cook book !!!!!!!!!

#4 Monkeytail

Monkeytail

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:46 AM

The squash casserole recipe is making my mouth water! Nobody else here will eat squash, but I may have to make a batch of that just to gorge myself on it.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." - The Doctor

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Einstein

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke - Vincent Van Gogh
"

#5 PauldingMom

PauldingMom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:20 AM

What??? No Jack Daniels in the squash?
The onion recipe is exactly what I have been looking for! Every year I make something different for Thanksgiving, we then decide, as a family, if it's a keeper or a flop. This looks like a keeper, and will replace my stuffed mushrooms that are a little heavy anyway.
Thanks Tbar!
Carpe Diem.
Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart

Erma Bombeck
Sometimes nothing is a cool hand.

#6 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 28,239 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (NumberCruncher @ Nov 9 2007, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oooh! you should submit these for the cook book !!!!!!!!!

Maybe we will just steal them off here,
They sound so good, gotta have them!!!

El Zorro

As far as releasing my name here, it's not going to happen.  There have been people here who found someone's given name and then found where they worked and made things difficult for them - all because they didn't like them here because of their political opinions.

#7 Mamma Smitty

Mamma Smitty

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:30 AM

They all sound so yummy! Whiskey too....what more could you ask for!
Little boy grandkids ROCK!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics