5 replies to this topic

#1 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

While I was at Patak yesterday, I bought some REALLY NICE beef stew meat. This morning I want to put it in the crock pot for a beef stew. I have a recipe I've used for years--your classic beef, carrots, celery, potatoes and tomatoes kind of beef stew. It's how my Mom and Grandma always made it. wub.gif

But I thought it would be interesting to hear how some others make it. Anyone want to share?

#2 Subby

Subby

a.k.a. Subby Enterprises

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

Good timing...I have one crocking at home today while I'm at work.

I just put in one big beef "pot roast". I use McCormick pot roast seasoning in the pack...pour that on the roast, with a generous splashing of worchestershire sausce, then pour some water over it, so the seasoning gets mixed up pretty good. Then I toss on 4 cans of taters (I like mine sliced) and 2-3 cans of carrots (also sliced), with a little season salt in between layers....then I put a half onion on the top in the center and sprinkle the top veggies with parika. Turn on low and let er go all day...I also add just enuff water to come up flush with the veggies so it wont dry out. I have to do this because mine will crock for about 10-11 hours. If you use high setting and cut the time by about a 3rd, you wont need as much water.

#3 Fluffy

Fluffy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Quintain @ Oct 23 2007, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I was at Patak yesterday, I bought some REALLY NICE beef stew meat. This morning I want to put it in the crock pot for a beef stew. I have a recipe I've used for years--your classic beef, carrots, celery, potatoes and tomatoes kind of beef stew. It's how my Mom and Grandma always made it. wub.gif

But I thought it would be interesting to hear how some others make it. Anyone want to share?

Your way is good. For a change, try McCormicks Beef Stew Seasoning. It's really good!

#4 Subby

Subby

a.k.a. Subby Enterprises

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

I mustuv had a brain fart....I was thinkiing a pot roast...

Actually, the same thing though, cept using stew meat and change the seasoning to BEEF STREW instead of pot roast, but still use McCormick....and of course, more veggies.

#5 Póg mo thóin

Póg mo thóin

author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Fluffy @ Oct 23 2007, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your way is good. For a change, try McCormicks Beef Stew Seasoning. It's really good!

that's what I use. it's fantastic.

#6 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:18 AM

Well, next time I'll definitely try the McCormick's. I've ever used it before, but y'all have me convinced!

Since I needed to get this thing going, I just finished putting it all together. I did vary my usual recipe, though.

I browned my stew meat with two large cloves of crushed fresh garlic. I plopped the browned meat and garlic in the bottom of the crock. I chunked up four medium sized potatoes and tossed them in along with about a cup of baby carrots. I large-chopped about 3/4 of a large onion and tossed that in. I topped this off with a package of onion soup mix, a can of stewed tomatoes, a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, and one can of beer. I stirred up the veggies and soup/beer so they were well coated, leaving the meat on the bottom to cook.

It's happily cooking now. Hope it turns out yummy!

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

Edited by Quintain, 23 October 2007 - 10:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics