Paulding.com

The following was posted today by Pointyhead:

I found out that my brother-in-law's wife's 89-year old grandfather fell while working is his shop, hit his head, and went unconscience. He was unresponsive when they found him, and essentially couldn't revive him. He officially died later at the hospital, after being taken off life support.

His name is T.C. Walraven and his body is at Benson's if anyone wants to go by there. The viewing is from 4-8 tonight with the funeral tomorrow at 2 pm.

I recently posted about Mr. Walraven. When passing by one day, there he sat at the car lot beside his old, raggedy truck. I stopped and asked him if I could take his picture. I tried to explain where the picture was going to be seen, but I guess digital cameras and paulding.com were a little confusing for an 89 year old to understand.

Yet, his eyes lit up and he was happy to "oblige."

Mr. Walraven didn't fully understand why I wanted his picture, but he was very happy to show off his wares. He did have one request, though. Could I possibly make him a copy of "that there picture?"

"Sure," I said, and hurried back to work to post my thread and print a picture for him. I also printed the post and dropped it off on my way home. Mr. Walraven was thrilled. He insisted on giving me a basket of those delicious muscadines and told me to come back anytime and he'd give me more if I would "keep it our secret".

I passed Mr. Walraven in that spot only last week. I smiled to myself and thought of that visit. I only wish that I had stopped by one more time.

Below is the original post. You will be missed. ~ Meltid

Paulding's Bounty, Muscadines are Here

Pictured below is Mr. T. C. Walraven, well-known Paulding County resident and farmer.

Mr. Walraven's yearly crop of mouth-watering muscadines and scuppernongs are now available for sale. Each week he can be found at the car lot across from WellStar Paulding Hospital on Wednesday, Friday and the weekends. He can also be reached at ***-***-**** for a farm visit.

When asked how he managed to raise such super size fruit, Mr. Walraven replied, "You have to know how to talk to them just right!"

Also, be sure and check back for Christmas trees this holiday season. Mr. Walraven's Christmas Tree Farm has become a tradition.

Edited by Meltid

Talmadge Cleveland 'Top Cat' Walraven was born Aug 06, 1916 in Dallas Malitia District of Paulding County. He died Oct 09, 2004 less than a mile from where he was born.

Before WWII, Talmadge went to work as a commercial carpenter. Following WWII, he went back to the same business. Top Cat, as he was known, was a Superintendant for most of the Commercial Builders of Atlanta until his retirement.

He spent many a day on the Atlanta Airport, Grady Hospital, Peachtree Plaza, the Farmers' Market, Scientific America and many, many more jobs all over the South East.

Talmadge was full of life, full of fun and just a bit devilish.

He was a man of strong opinions, and once he made a decision he took it to the limit.

He was my uncle.

I worked for him for a while.

Talmadge's friends and family will long remember him because they broke the mold when they made him.

Uncle Talmadge as I've always called him was a wonderful man. (I'm JohnnyJ's daughter) I remember years ago when we would go to his home for our family reunions/Easter egg hunts. I grew up on John Walraven Road with several other family members and remember many days of seeing him drive by in that old blue truck or him stopping in to talk with my grandpa and grandma (his sister). For those of you who dont know - John Walraven was their dad - hence John Walraven Road... :) Dad can tell you much, much more about it. He's been around a bit longer than me. ;) Grandpa Walraven died, I believe in the 60's. Grandma Walraven I remember well though she died when I was five. All I remember was her spoiling me much like all the the others - Talmadge included.

My children came running to tell me that our neighbor stopped and said that an ambulance had just came for Mr. Walraven. We live down the road and Mr. Walraven would come and plow our garden in his trusty ole tractor. He'd never ask for anything for it but we always sent him home with some fresh baked bread or a few dollars for his time and gas. He was kind to let my husband fish in his pond occasionally. Years ago we enjoyed a few summer holidays at the pond swimming.

Mr. Walraven, though I did not know him personally will be missed by our family. Our prayers go out to his family, Vernon and the rest of the kin folk.

Dear Johnny and family,

I am so sorry to hear of your lost. When I saw that it was a Walraven who had died, I wondered if this was a relative of yours.

My thoughts and prayer are with you.

Pat (member of the William Tant website).

Edited by Tootsie
  • 4 weeks later...

Very saddened to hear of Mr. Walraven's passing.

My family lived on Walraven Road around 1979 for a few years. The Cochran cousins were me and my sister's playmates.

Mr. Walraven was a real nice man. I called him sometimes for a ride to school whenever we'd miss the bus and he'd always come take us.

To this day when I smell muscadine it brings back so many memories of summer days on Walraven Road.

God rest your soul, Mr. Walraven.