28 replies to this topic

#1 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:42 AM

How do you make your roasted potatoes? I usually buy the bag of frozen ones, but I have a huge bag of potatoes at home and would like to make some homemade roated potatoes. I am not sure what to put in them to for some good flavoring and to make sure they aren't dry.

#2 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

I usually chunk them or cut them in wedges, skin on, coat them in just enough oil to make the seasonings stick and the sprinkle them with salt, garlic powder and sometimes rosemary.

#3 busymomof3

busymomof3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

I favor 3 different ways:

#1-not so good for the arteries - slice into wedges lengthwise, boil just to make them a little tender. Let cool & dip into Bleu Cheese dressing and press a mixture of coarse crushed corn flakes & a couple of spoonfuls of dry buffalo mix onto each cut side then bake on a cookie sheet until crunchy & tan outside and moist & tender inside.

#2-Cut into cubes, toss with a little olive oil & sprinkle with Mrs. Dash onion & herb & roast till tender.

#3-Cut into cubes, toss with a little olive oil & sprinkle with Cavender's Greek seasoning (not the salt free, it's not so good) & bake till brown.

If you like fish try sprinkling the Cavender's on the filet & microwave for about 3 min. or till flaky, OMG it's good!

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

#4 kidsrock

kidsrock

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

Coat them in some seasoned bread crumbs.
Peace and Love

#5 DallasRED

DallasRED

GO NAVY!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,979 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

This is the best recipe for me.

Use one envelope of Onion soup mix

2 lbs potatoes (leave the skin on)

1/3 cup of olive oil

Bake at 450 for about 40 minutes.

YUMMY!

I sprinkle chopped parsley on them when they are done.
Posted Image

"Why are some people such assholes for no reason but then are the first to bitch to the mods when the tables are turned" GO BLUE

"You judge me and think you know me, and I'm quite sure we've never met. You know nothing." MADEA

"NOT ONE DAMN ONE OF YOU HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ME I CAN NOT FEEL THE WAY I DO." SOLO

#6 shangriLa

shangriLa

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,344 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:09 AM

I cut them in cubes, boil in lightly salted water, then I drain them well. While they are hot I mix in a little butter (very little), olive oil and parmesan or romano cheese. I put them in a roasting pan in a single layer. I put a little seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper, some fresh rosemary (lightly torn) on top and put them under the broiler until they are lightly browned.
I *really* HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO SAY, " I TOLD YOU SO..."

I told you so.

#7 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (DallasRed @ Sep 26 2007, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the best recipe for me.

Use one envelope of Onion soup mix

2 lbs potatoes (leave the skin on)

1/3 cup of olive oil

Bake at 450 for about 40 minutes.

YUMMY!

I sprinkle chopped parsley on them when they are done.

Agreed, this one's always good!

#8 shangriLa

shangriLa

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,344 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:27 AM

Oh yeah and sometimes when I mix them up I put some fresh garlic in there. It depends on what I am serving them with and if the garlic compliments the other main entree. I would put the garlic in if I were serving beef or some type of grilled chicken with no sauce. Not necessarily with ham or fish.

I told you so.

#9 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:34 AM

All of these ideas sound great. Thanks everyone.

#10 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Sep 26 2007, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All of these ideas sound great. Thanks everyone.

Sure nuf, now what time is dinner and what are we having besides roasted potatoes? biggrin.gif

#11 shangriLa

shangriLa

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,344 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (juleebella @ Sep 26 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure nuf, now what time is dinner and what are we having besides roasted potatoes? biggrin.gif

BROCCOLI!!!!!! laugh.gif

I told you so.

#12 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (juleebella @ Sep 26 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am still trying to decide. I think I am going to run over to Patak's and pick something up, but haven't decided what just yet. Last week I got some ribs and pork loin, so I want something different from there today. Maybe a roast.

#13 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (shangriLa @ Sep 26 2007, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BROCCOLI!!!!!! laugh.gif
Quiet you! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Sep 26 2007, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am still trying to decide. I think I am going to run over to Patak's and pick something up, but haven't decided what just yet. Last week I got some ribs and pork loin, so I want something different from there today. Maybe a roast.
Roast sounds good to me!

#14 NY Gal

NY Gal

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

I do them with olive oil, garlic, sliced onions and dill. And I only use the baby red skin potatoes.
Posted Image
I may be a Yankee....but I am a NICE Yankee....and there are worse things I could be....right?[/size]

There are no strangers, just friends we haven't met yet!"

Colleen Ann Deloughery 6/4/60-9/11/01

#15 Mamma Smitty

Mamma Smitty

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

My mom cuts them into quarters and cooks them in the oven with a ton of butter and parsley~ Not really healthy for ya but it's one of ours family's favs.
Little boy grandkids ROCK!!!!!!

#16 soccermom

soccermom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

Ok, This is totally Heart Unhealthy wink.gif

Skin on potatoes sliced, thin sliced onion, lots of crushed garlic, pats of butter layered
in around and seasoning blend.

I layer it in foil and make packets and put in the oven or on the grill.

Of course they get topped with shredded cheese, bacon bits and sour cream.

YUM!

#17 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

OK. I changed my mind. I am going to do a meatloaf with it. I was thinking of cooking the potatoes in one of the oven roasting bags. I make a lot of things that way. Has anyone tried it? I think that will help keep them tender and juicy.

#18 busymomof3

busymomof3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Sep 26 2007, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is Patak's? Open to the public with good prices?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have" - Thomas Jefferson

#19 DallasRED

DallasRED

GO NAVY!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,979 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Sep 26 2007, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK. I changed my mind. I am going to do a meatloaf with it. I was thinking of cooking the potatoes in one of the oven roasting bags. I make a lot of things that way. Has anyone tried it? I think that will help keep them tender and juicy.

Why not just make mashed potatoes then? That goes better with meatloaf and they will def be juicy. I have a Celery Mashed potato recipe that is to die for. Let me know if you want it.
Posted Image

"Why are some people such assholes for no reason but then are the first to bitch to the mods when the tables are turned" GO BLUE

"You judge me and think you know me, and I'm quite sure we've never met. You know nothing." MADEA

"NOT ONE DAMN ONE OF YOU HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ME I CAN NOT FEEL THE WAY I DO." SOLO

#20 busymomof3

busymomof3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (DallasRed @ Sep 26 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not just make mashed potatoes then? That goes better with meatloaf and they will def be juicy. I have a Celery Mashed potato recipe that is to die for. Let me know if you want it.

I'd like it, my kids like both of those items.

#21 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

We had meatloaf and mashed potatoes last night!

#22 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (busymomof3 @ Sep 26 2007, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is Patak's? Open to the public with good prices?
Patak's is a meat place off of Flint Hill/Powder Springs Rd. Several people on here shop there. They have the absolute best meat, and by far, the best prices.Check out their website at patakmeats.com. I try to go by there once a week and pick up meats for the several days. I got a pork loin, 2 huge slabs of spare ribs (they had sold out of their wonderful baby backs), some ground beef, and I think 6 brats the other day, and it was $27.They are not open to public on Mondays, and they are not open on Saturday's except for the first Saturday of the month. And if you go on a Friday, go about 9 am or the good stuff is gone, or the line is out the door.
Sure, post it here for everyone. We love getting new recipes. I am still going to do the roasted potatoes tonight, but I will try yours next time I do mashed potatoes.

#23 DallasRED

DallasRED

GO NAVY!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,979 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:09 AM

Celery Mashed Potatoes

1 3/4 Yukon gold or red potatoes peeled and cubed
3 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup butter
3 celery ribs, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1/3 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan, cover reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.

Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in saucepan add celery and onion and saute 3-4 minutes or until tender.

Add celery mixture to potatoes beat at low speed with an electirc mixer until potatoes are mashed. Add remaining butter, milk salt and pepper. Beat until mixed.

This is a Southern Living Recipe so you know it has to be good smile.gif
Posted Image

#24 ~lovapet~

~lovapet~

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:11 AM

I just take potaotes and cut them in cubes/wedges....sprinkle with olive oil and add rosemary, garlic and steak seasonings.....cook them on 500 degrees if you want them crispy...yummmmm !!! wub.gif

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Hooray @ Sep 26 2007, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just take potaotes and cut them in cubes/wedges....sprinkle with olive oil and add rosemary, garlic and steak seasonings.....cook them on 500 degrees if you want them crispy...yummmmm !!! wub.gif

500 degrees? I have never cooked anything at 500 degrees. But I will try it. Sounds great.

#26 ~lovapet~

~lovapet~

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Sep 26 2007, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
500 degrees? I have never cooked anything at 500 degrees. But I will try it. Sounds great.

It cooks them quick and makes them crunchy.......I just love it when they are crucnhy on the outside, but soft in the middle...it's like deep frying them !!!! smile.gif

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 DallasRED

DallasRED

GO NAVY!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,979 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Sep 26 2007, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Make sure your oven is clean if you do this!
Posted Image

#28 ~lovapet~

~lovapet~

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (DallasRed @ Sep 26 2007, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make sure your oven is clean if you do this!

So true !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic