Paulding.com

The same way that any police officer/deputy would know that the man laying dead at your front door was trying to get in to harm you.

You have to be able to articulate your actions, in a manner that shows your are/were in fear for your life/well being or your child's or dog's life/well being.

Oh, well then I'll have to get some coaching, I'll have to ask my husband to help me.

I don't think that I'd be able to shoot a dog, or person, truthfully. I'd like to think I could if I had to, I was just running me mouth. I could, however, kick a dog if I thought it was threatening my pups. Is that legal?

Gosh, evidently somebody was arrested. In one day, yesterday, I had 2 stray large dogs on my large upper deck. Drinking water from a fountain. When I opened the deck door a little, both dogs (at separate times) were agressive. I don't know if they are mean dogs or just thirsty and wanted me to just leave them alone so they could drink. And I let them!

Anyway, because of these dogs one of which has been in the front yard before, it really makes me antsy to go outside and sit or walk around. Life shouldn't be this way!

Isn't Paulding County a little large to have only 2 AC people??

Do ya want 3 ACO's? I need a job.

Spoken like someone who would turn a blind eye to a dangerous animal. We have seen them thrown out and turn very quickly. No it normally doesn't happen that way with city dogs...country dogs are totally different. There are agencies in south Georgia that deal with this constantly...maybe not so prevelant up here. They also shoot stray cats....aren't so soft hearted down there.

Where in South GA are you from? I grew up down there and have many friends in law enforcement down there, no one I know shoots them b/c they are stray. They just usually get left to fend for themselves and die or wait til monday or the next morning when AC opens, which is usually attached to a PD or SO.

Country dogs are no more "feral" than city dogs when they get loose or become a stray, it all has to do with instincts and the natural "fight or flight" reaction people have. When people mistreat stray and feral animals they tend to have a "fight" attitude when cornered or threatened, whether it is a "city" dog or a lowly "country" dog.

One good example:

The bakers bridge dog, when I was trying to help him he was fine, then I tried to get a lead on him and he liked to have eaten my arm off. When AC got there and they cornered him under my truck he was terrified and was pretty aggressive, but when he was at AC and calmed down he was the biggest cuddle bunny ever.

...Nope...I wouldn't have been stopped and besides I live with the popo...and his jurisdiction is bigger than local....Federal and State is just wonderful!!!

:angry:

Please clarify this remark, because it sure as hell sounds like you're saying you can get away with anything because your husband is in law enforcement.

I don't agree. You and the family are outside and a dog "makes advancements" towards you. You gather the family and head inside. You come back out with a gun and dog is over smelling something in your bushes and is no threat. Discharge the weapon and see what happens. There is no good cause for shooting the dog at that point and the proper course of action would have been to call animal control.

I agree 100%.

:angry:

Please clarify this remark, because it sure as hell sounds like you're saying you can get away with anything because your husband is in law enforcement.

No...I could get tickets and get in trouble like anyone else....but I would not have one problem or get in trouble if a dog attacks me, my kids, or my pets in my yard and I shoot them. It is perfectly legal to protect yourself, family, or property. I don't know the specifics regarding this case. If the woman was able to retreat with herself and her dog safely then yes...she broke the law to go back out after the dog, because the threat was no longer immenent, making her no longer in danger. However if she happened to go back outside and the stray was still there and braced her off and she happened to have a gun on her and feared the dog would attack her and on her own property...well then no she did not break the law. As for husband being in law enforcement...well we met in the field so therefore between the two of us, we know the laws pretty well so we definantly can be sure not to break them, but he has earned a good deal of respect and most of the locals around here know him very well and we have never had a problem or so much as a speeding ticket between the two of us. I am not worried if I have to call the police for anything (and I have) ...I, we, have nothing what so ever to hide.

Oh and one other thing....Mrsjones post was a joke....we know each other pretty well, and she knows my husband, which is why I was joking back with her when I responded to her. Not that it is really anyone's business....but she and I were discussing the very serious stray cat problem that my neighbor is causing and she was reffering to it in her statement.

Where in South GA are you from? I grew up down there and have many friends in law enforcement down there, no one I know shoots them b/c they are stray. They just usually get left to fend for themselves and die or wait til monday or the next morning when AC opens, which is usually attached to a PD or SO.

Country dogs are no more "feral" than city dogs when they get loose or become a stray, it all has to do with instincts and the natural "fight or flight" reaction people have. When people mistreat stray and feral animals they tend to have a "fight" attitude when cornered or threatened, whether it is a "city" dog or a lowly "country" dog.

One good example:

The bakers bridge dog, when I was trying to help him he was fine, then I tried to get a lead on him and he liked to have eaten my arm off. When AC got there and they cornered him under my truck he was terrified and was pretty aggressive, but when he was at AC and calmed down he was the biggest cuddle bunny ever.

Paulding county is far from being the country...we lived in Stewart county where the nearest grocery store is over a 45 minute ride from there...and there are no businesses, none. Your nearest neighbors are miles away and almost everyone there is a farmer. We have a cattle farm, and yes strays are actually driven out there and thrown out on the road when people don't want them. It only takes a matter of days for them to go wild due to the fact that there are no garbage cans to eat from or even trash on the sides of the road. If you ever watch a dog run down a calf and eat it alive, you will truly know what a dog is capable of. I never knew this until I actually saw it about 7 years ago. I used to bring strays home to my parents house growing up. I love dogs like most. We are not talking about little, dirty, cold poodles here...but usually bigger dogs and they turn quite vicious very fast. The angencies that shot them were everything from the SO, to the game wardens. Once they joined in with the coyotes there is no saving them. No paulding is not Atlanta, but it is very much not the country either...maybe years ago it was, but not now. There are homes and neighborhoods, and plenty of business everywhere that keep most strays up here from going through the agony of absolutely no food or water to be had. I never meant to go out and shoot someone's scotty that has wandered into your yard, heck I even had the AC pick up a pitbull that was very agressive and did attack us in our yard about three years ago, fortunantly we just went in and called the AC....which is what this woman probably should have done if she and her pet were no longer in danger. However, I am not going to say there are no circumstances in which a stray should be shot and to think otherwise is ignorance in my opinion....but like I said it is my opinion, and it is not illegal in some circumstances.

I guess if the caller had advised that this was a country breed then both A/C officers would have been dispatched. I hear that the country breeds are most vicious.

And to think that I had NO IDEA that county breeds were the most vicious :o until I read it here! :D

Edited to say that I do know how to use spell check, I just don't check enough!

Edited by just4me
for the record, dispatch did not advise the officer if the dog in question was a city or country breed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah - I thought is was just pit bulls!

:huh: you mean we have pit bulls in Paulding Co?? :o :lol: