Paulding.com

Sorry - the caller advised that the dog was not "attacking" but trying to play with the other dog.

Even if the dog did attack the ladie's dog, she was out for blood after the fact and would have been arrested if she had shot the dog.

Never fear - Officer Ed knows how to handle himself.

Sorry - the caller advised that the dog was not "attacking" but trying to play with the other dog.

Even if the dog did attack the ladie's dog, she was out for blood after the fact and would have been arrested if she had shot the dog.

Even if the dog is on her property and she was afraid for Her dog? So if my neighbors dog comes on my property and I think it is attaking my dog- I will get in trouble if I shoot it? What about if it is in my yard growling, and showing it's teeth in the attack stance at one of my kids?

What??

::running to do research on the rights I have as a property owner to defend myself and pets against aggressive strays, by using deadly force::

Even if the dog is on her property and she was afraid for Her dog? So if my neighbors dog comes on my property and I think it is attaking my dog- I will get in trouble if I shoot it? What about if it is in my yard growling, and showing it's teeth in the attack stance at one of my kids?

the "attack" had already taken place. the lady was out for blood after the fact.

Sure, if you "fear for your life" when a stray comes in your yard, shoot a way.

reminds me of Uncle Jimbo from Southpark - 'look out - it's coming right at us'

Not that I condone it but I thought one is able to shoot stray animals on private land. My daddy always shot strays with a BB gun off of our property growing up, and me, my sister and my mom would get all upset! :o There is something called "animal control" in the phone book look it up. Sheesh!

If the dog was on her property and she or her property(dog) were threatened. then she wouldn't have

A very nice gentleman at the Marshall's office just spent a few minutes explaining to me that if you are in fear of death of serious injury for yourself, your children, or your pets, ....... you gotta do what you gotta do. This does include shooting to kill an aggresive dog on your property.

You just have to be able to articulate yourself after the fact.

(and aim very well)

I added that last part.

If the dog was on her property and she or her property(dog) were threatened. then she wouldn't have

I don't agree. You and the family are outside and a dog "makes advancements" towards you. You gather the family and head inside. You come back out with a gun and dog is over smelling something in your bushes and is no threat. Discharge the weapon and see what happens. There is no good cause for shooting the dog at that point and the proper course of action would have been to call animal control.

I don't agree. You and the family are outside and a dog "makes advancements" towards you. You gather the family and head inside. You come back out with a gun and dog is over smelling something in your bushes and is no threat. Discharge the weapon and see what happens. There is no good cause for shooting the dog at that point and the proper course of action would have been to call animal control.

And a very well written opinion that is.

But that does not make it the law.

A very nice gentleman at the Marshall's office just spent a few minutes explaining to me that if you are in fear of death of serious injury for yourself, your children, or your pets, ....... you gotta do what you gotta do. This does include shooting to kill an aggresive dog on your property.

You just have to be able to articulate yourself after the fact.

(and aim very well)

I added that last part.

Exactly.

Not that I condone it but I thought one is able to shoot stray animals on private land. My daddy always shot strays with a BB gun off of our property growing up, and me, my sister and my mom would get all upset! :o There is something called "animal control" in the phone book look it up. Sheesh!

If you can get them to answer the phone and show up... thats another story...

The neighbors dog bite my son in the face last year and after it was determined the dog didn't have rabies the family paid to get the dog back- then the dog drug a neighbor girl down in the street, then it did the same thing to another child in the neighborhood- this dog will charge across my yard at me or my husband or kids- I ahve to go out early in the morning to do my pre- trip before my bus run- every time I see that dog in my yard- I pop it in the butt with the pellet gun (I have called animal control many times) never pick the dog up- so if I shoot the dog- dead- I will be justified.

The neighbors dog bite my son in the face last year and after it was determined the dog didn't have rabies the family paid to get the dog back- then the dog drug a neighbor girl down in the street, then it did the same thing to another child in the neighborhood- this dog will charge across my yard at me or my husband or kids- I ahve to go out early in the morning to do my pre- trip before my bus run- every time I see that dog in my yard- I pop it in the butt with the pellet gun (I have called animal control many times) never pick the dog up- so if I shoot the dog- dead- I will be justified.

I think it would take more than a bb gun to accomplish that.

If you can get them to answer the phone and show up... thats another story...

holden - with over 700 - 800 calls each month (879 in July) and three lines ringing at almost any hour of the day (and night) there was a great invention discovered. It's called an answering machine. All calls are returned IF the three lines happen to be tied up OR if as most days, there are 20 people waiting in the front lobby to turn in their pet and that answering machine comes into play. -_-

As far as "showing up" . . . EVERY call, over 20 - 30 a day most times, is answered. I'm not sure of your situation, but IF a pet is not at the premises when the officer arrives, they are not capable of scouring the neighborhood on an all day search to find it. There are two officers to cover the county. They do not have time to sit and watch your yard in hopes that it may return.

Freebird is correct. If you are being threatened, by all means, fire away. But if the threat is over and you return to shoot the animal, you will be prosecuted.

Redshoes, did this nice man also mention there is a law against firing a gun in neighborhoods with houses in close proximity? Shooting the animal after the fact is not "doing what you gotta do" if you are no longer in danger.

holden - with over 500 calls each month and three lines ringing at almost any hour of the day (and night) there was a great invention discovered. It's called an answering machine. All calls are returned IF the three lines happen to be tied up OR if as most days, there are 20 people waiting in the front lobby to turn in their pet and that answering machine comes into play. -_-

As far as "showing up" . . . EVERY call, over 20 - 30 a day most times, is answered. I'm not sure of your situation, but IF a pet is not at the premises when the officer arrives, they are not capable of scouring the neighborhood on an all day search to find it. There are two officers to cover the county. They do not have time to sit and watch your yard in hopes that it may return.

Freebird is correct. If you are being threatened, by all means, fire away. But if the threat is over and you return to shoot the animal, you will be prosecuted.

Redshoes, did this nice man also mention there is a law against firing a gun in neighborhoods with houses in close proximity? Shooting the animal after the fact is not "doing what you gotta do" if you are no longer in danger.

And I never meant to imply that.

I am not involved in this situation. I was trying to get some information, and share it with the class. I never said that you wouldn't be in trouble for discharging a firearm within the city limits, or in an unsafe manner.

I simply relayed the information that "if you are in fear of death of serious injury for yourself, your children, or your pets, ....... you gotta do what you gotta do. This does include shooting to kill an aggresive dog on your property."

I haven't expressed my opinion about it, and I won't. My opinion is neither here nor there.

I just wanted to share what I was told by an officer with the Marshall's office, concerning being arrested for shooting an aggressive stray.

If the dog was not aggressive, then none of this would apply.

I did not mean to step on your toes, or tick you off.

I simply wanted to answer the question asked about a person's right to defend their self, child, or other animal, against an aggressive stray attack, while on their own property.

I hope that this clears me from being some gun toting loony who just wants to shoot dogs instead of calling Animal Control.

If you remember, I used to work for Animal Control, and am well aware of what a fantastic job they do, despite of their limitations. (understaffing on the road, inability to be everywhere at once, call volume vs waiting around for that elusive dog to show back up on someone's property, etc.)

Gosh, evidently somebody was arrested. In one day, yesterday, I had 2 stray large dogs on my large upper deck. Drinking water from a fountain. When I opened the deck door a little, both dogs (at separate times) were agressive. I don't know if they are mean dogs or just thirsty and wanted me to just leave them alone so they could drink. And I let them!

Anyway, because of these dogs one of which has been in the front yard before, it really makes me antsy to go outside and sit or walk around. Life shouldn't be this way!

Isn't Paulding County a little large to have only 2 AC people??

Not only can you legally shoot the stray if you think you are in danger...you could shoot a person in your yard if you think you are in danger. Sat through enough CJ classes and earned my degree in Criminal Justice to learn that. Especially women...that is just the way the law works. If someone doesn't want a stray shot...they should keep it at home where it belongs or take it to thepound themselves. Besides that...fact is most strays revert to being wild after just a few days on the street without food. We used to shoot them all the time on our farm. The would join in with the coyotes or other wild dog packs...it is really ugly to see wild dogs run down a new born calf or fawn or domesticated dogs and cats. They will also attack a small child. Wild dogs are really dangerous and they are madeup of strays that get thrown out. Nice to be an animal lover...I am, I adore my dogs, but I will shoot a stray in a heartbeat if it so much as bears a tooth....and I am a d*mn good shot, courtesy of my sharp shooter husband.

garnett... this wasnt you was it?:)
Nope...I wouldn't have been stopped and besides I live with the popo...and his jurisdiction is bigger than local....Federal and State is just wonderful!!!
Gosh, evidently somebody was arrested. In one day, yesterday, I had 2 stray large dogs on my large upper deck. Drinking water from a fountain. When I opened the deck door a little, both dogs (at separate times) were agressive. I don't know if they are mean dogs or just thirsty and wanted me to just leave them alone so they could drink. And I let them!Anyway, because of these dogs one of which has been in the front yard before, it really makes me antsy to go outside and sit or walk around. Life shouldn't be this way!Isn't Paulding County a little large to have only 2 AC people??

There are only 2 ROAD OFFICERS on duty each day. There are 11 employees of Animal Control, but that is still way too few.

And I never meant to imply that.I am not involved in this situation. I was trying to get some information, and share it with the class. I never said that you wouldn't be in trouble for discharging a firearm within the city limits, or in an unsafe manner.I simply relayed the information that "if you are in fear of death of serious injury for yourself, your children, or your pets, ....... you gotta do what you gotta do. This does include shooting to kill an aggresive dog on your property."I haven't expressed my opinion about it, and I won't. My opinion is neither here nor there. I just wanted to share what I was told by an officer with the Marshall's office, concerning being arrested for shooting an aggressive stray.If the dog was not aggressive, then none of this would apply.I did not mean to step on your toes, or tick you off. I simply wanted to answer the question asked about a person's right to defend their self, child, or other animal, against an aggressive stray attack, while on their own property.I hope that this clears me from being some gun toting loony who just wants to shoot dogs instead of calling Animal Control.If you remember, I used to work for Animal Control, and am well aware of what a fantastic job they do, despite of their limitations. (understaffing on the road, inability to be everywhere at once, call volume vs waiting around for that elusive dog to show back up on someone's property, etc.)

Yes, I remember and know that you know well the situations handled daily. You may not be aware though that Animal Control is in no way, shape or form, related to the Marshall's Office as they were many years ago. They are not the authority on these situations.

Not only can you legally shoot the stray if you think you are in danger...you could shoot a person in your yard if you think you are in danger. Sat through enough CJ classes and earned my degree in Criminal Justice to learn that. Especially women...that is just the way the law works. If someone doesn't want a stray shot...they should keep it at home where it belongs or take it to thepound themselves. Besides that...fact is most strays revert to being wild after just a few days on the street without food. We used to shoot them all the time on our farm. The would join in with the coyotes or other wild dog packs...it is really ugly to see wild dogs run down a new born calf or fawn or domesticated dogs and cats. They will also attack a small child. Wild dogs are really dangerous and they are madeup of strays that get thrown out. Nice to be an animal lover...I am, I adore my dogs, but I will shoot a stray in a heartbeat if it so much as bears a tooth....and I am a d*mn good shot, courtesy of my sharp shooter husband.Nope...I wouldn't have been stopped and besides I live with the popo...and his jurisdiction is bigger than local....Federal and State is just wonderful!!!

Garnet, it takes a little longer for a stray dog to go "wild!" Several days just won't do it. There are packs of wild dogs, but your average stray is not one of them.

Fire away! ;)

There are only 2 ROAD OFFICERS on duty each day. There are 11 employees of Animal Control, but that is still way too few.Yes, I remember and know that you know well the situations handled daily. You may not be aware though that Animal Control is in no way, shape or form, related to the Marshall's Office as they were many years ago. They are not the authority on these situations.

While I know that Animal Control is no longer under the Marshall's office.... I figured they would be a good place to call to get information on county ordinances.

There are only 2 ROAD OFFICERS on duty each day. There are 11 employees of Animal Control, but that is still way too few.

Yes, I remember and know that you know well the situations handled daily. You may not be aware though that Animal Control is in no way, shape or form, related to the Marshall's Office as they were many years ago. They are not the authority on these situations.

Garnet, it takes a little longer for a stray dog to go "wild!" Several days just won't do it. There are packs of wild dogs, but your average stray is not one of them.

Fire away! ;)

Spoken like someone who would turn a blind eye to a dangerous animal. We have seen them thrown out and turn very quickly. No it normally doesn't happen that way with city dogs...country dogs are totally different. There are agencies in south Georgia that deal with this constantly...maybe not so prevelant up here. They also shoot stray cats....aren't so soft hearted down there.

Spoken like someone who would turn a blind eye to a dangerous animal. We have seen them thrown out and turn very quickly. No it normally doesn't happen that way with city dogs...country dogs are totally different. There are agencies in south Georgia that deal with this constantly...maybe not so prevelant up here. They also shoot stray cats....aren't so soft hearted down there.

Garnet, we obviously don't agree on a LOT of things.

Paulding County is not the "City". It is also thankfully not South Georgia or other closer areas here or people who still believe shooting ANY stray is the thing to do.

holden - with over 700 - 800 calls each month (879 in July) and three lines ringing at almost any hour of the day (and night) there was a great invention discovered. It's called an answering machine. All calls are returned IF the three lines happen to be tied up OR if as most days, there are 20 people waiting in the front lobby to turn in their pet and that answering machine comes into play. -_-

Im sorry, I was just refering to the dog that constantly comes in my yard from the neighborhood behind us, and tried to bite my little boy. All my calls went unanswered to AC until I finally exploded on the answering machine saying I was going to shoot the dog if they didnt come get it now. They did manage to come out, but since he was not in my yard, but clearly running free in the other neightborhood they left. SHe could have easily went over to the other neighborhood and got him. I informed the owners, that he better steer clear of my yard. I dont mind if their are dogs running wild in my yard. I just simply shoo them away, but when they charge at my kids, its a different story...

I shot a stray possum that wasn't threatening me but was making my dogs bark too much, thus frightening me into thinking there was a wierdo lurking in my yard while my husband was working late last night with a pellet gun. Does that count? Am I going to jail?

Seriously, there are dogs next door that I just can't wait to catch running loose. They attacked one of my labs about a month ago, he's had to go to the vet several times, and now he has to stay inside in a crate, and I won't hesitate to shoot them, with a real gun, iffen I see them running around in the yard. They very presence in my yard spells threat for me, so would I go to jail, or is it all about perspective? How can animal control know after the fact if they were growling at me or not? Seriously?

I shot a stray possum that wasn't threatening me but was making my dogs bark too much, thus frightening me into thinking there was a wierdo lurking in my yard while my husband was working late last night with a pellet gun. Does that count? Am I going to jail?

Seriously, there are dogs next door that I just can't wait to catch running loose. They attacked one of my labs about a month ago, he's had to go to the vet several times, and now he has to stay inside in a crate, and I won't hesitate to shoot them, with a real gun, iffen I see them running around in the yard. They very presence in my yard spells threat for me, so would I go to jail, or is it all about perspective? How can animal control know after the fact if they were growling at me or not? Seriously?

The same way that any police officer/deputy would know that the man laying dead at your front door was trying to get in to harm you.

You have to be able to articulate your actions, in a manner that shows your are/were in fear for your life/well being or your child's or dog's life/well being.

They very presence in my yard spells threat for me, so would I go to jail, or is it all about perspective? How can animal control know after the fact if they were growling at me or not? Seriously?

Explain the history and how it acted when you tried to run it off. If the dog was aggressive and you were in fear then you can legally protect yourself and your property with the weapon you brought for protection since you know the history.

The same way that any police officer/deputy would know that the man laying dead at your front door was trying to get in to harm you.

You have to be able to articulate your actions, in a manner that shows your are/were in fear for your life/well being or your child's or dog's life/well being.