Paulding.com

Death of a True War Hero...

My husband’s grandfather passed away last week. He died a true WWII hero. He was a paratrooper with the 507th. He was dropped behind enemy lines on D-day. They were supposed to have been dropped eighteen miles to the northwest at drop zone “T” near Amfreville, but instead they ended-up in the vicinity of the village of Montmartin-en-Graignes. Theirs was the worst misdrop of any airborne unit on June 6, 1944. He saw many fellow soliders drown in the marsh after being dropped at the wrong spot. He, himself was tangled in a tree and had to cut himself loose. During this battle, several soldiers approached a hedgerow where the Germans had machine guns set up and shooting down soldiers where they stood or knelt. He ran under the machine gun and threw over a gernade, taking out the machine gun and gunner. He saved several lives and took schrapnal to the neck and chest which he carried with him the rest of his life. He died with 22 medals. He will be sorely missed. RIP :wub:

On behalf of the American Legion, Sons of the American Legion, Auxiliary and American Legion Riders of Post 111, Dallas, Ga.

We thank your Grandfather for his service to our country.

We pray that God blesses your family with peace.

Please know that the Hearts of our community are saddened by your loss.

Jim Tully

Chaplin, SAL, ALR

God Bless Our Service Members around the globe

Reminds me of a guest speaker I have come out every year to speak to my classes. Carl Beck was with the 501st and he too was seperated from his unit at D-Day and spent a week in a French Barn. His stories of D-Day, Bastogne, and a Bridge too Far makes my kids excited every time. What a GREAT generation of Americans. Maybe you would like to come out in April to hear his story.

Hello all,

I agree with you. Losing him is a tremendous loss. For those that don't know the 507th...505th they are PIR's. Parachute Infantry Regiments. These regiments are known as Airborne units. We sometimes take for granted what Airborne soldiers do for us offensively and tactically. They allow us to do things that the vast majority of potential enemies cannot do. Move soldiers quickly to battlefields around the world and drop into a theater of operations. Because of the skill and bravery of the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions in WWII and how easy they made jumping out of airplanes look we forget just how innovative and dangerous what they did was. Being an Airborne soldier in WWII was a new concept and it dropped soldiers in unbelievable amounts of harm. These soldiers allowed us to be free. Prayers are with you and your family.

Sincerely,

jk

My husband’s grandfather passed away last week. He died a true WWII hero. He was a paratrooper with the 507th. He was dropped behind enemy lines on D-day. They were supposed to have been dropped eighteen miles to the northwest at drop zone “T” near Amfreville, but instead they ended-up in the vicinity of the village of Montmartin-en-Graignes. Theirs was the worst misdrop of any airborne unit on June 6, 1944. He saw many fellow soliders drown in the marsh after being dropped at the wrong spot. He, himself was tangled in a tree and had to cut himself loose. During this battle, several soldiers approached a hedgerow where the Germans had machine guns set up and shooting down soldiers where they stood or knelt. He ran under the machine gun and threw over a gernade, taking out the machine gun and gunner. He saved several lives and took schrapnal to the neck and chest which he carried with him the rest of his life. He died with 22 medals. He will be sorely missed. RIP :wub:

THANK YOU SIR....FOR YOUR SACRIFICES FOR US..

my uncle clarence briggs got 2 purple hearts and is buried in french soil. respectfully.

sending up prayers for your whole family and you. he must have been quite a man that i would have liked to have met. God bless you and yours. i know how it feels to miss a person real bad. struggling thru depression about dad still, a month later....

i found the old war dept letters about his brother clarence last wk, i cried more.... thought i was done crying, i was crying for 2 guys then.. i hope they are finally able to swap stories after so long..... i need a plumbing check for all the leaking i am doing lately.

be rested in spirit that my son just graduated basic, with honors, top of his class, and is a fine warrior who will uphold and defend our freedom too. he is quite the fine warrior.

he will keep us all safe and free, and then come back home safe and sound.