Paulding.com

one male/one female under age 6 left alone

caller is FedEx employee - concerned for children as place is trashed - one of their drivers was at the address yesterday.

SO 177 enroute.

address withheld to protect the children, but it is a trailer....

caller's contact info furnished to SO unit

this stuff is really sad to hear - I'd like to think that a parent had to make a hard choice - working for food on the table or staying home - maybe grandma, who normally looks after the kids, is sick.

Or, maybe there are just poor choices involved.

I know the SO unit will get help for the kids if they need it.

Best I can make out on this one - FedEx driver was at the location yesterday and saw that the kids were home alone. Driver must have, in passing, made a comment about the situation to another employee this morning, who must have a little more concern for others, decided to call the SO.

I thought that as part of homeland security measures all drivers, such as this FedEx driver, were requested to call in suspicious activities. Certainly, this would make a good case for calling in for a check yesterday.

I understand having to work to put food on the table but dayyyuumm there are day care programs out there for those who cannot afford daycare who meet the financial qualifications and I bet they would.. What an idiot parent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry but I hope they get more than a slap on the hand.. a child that age could get into so much stuff.... I shudder at the thoughts of all that could happen to a child that age... :angry:

AcK! So are the kids alone or what? I whatever care giver they may have had if they had one isn't dead or anything....if that makes sense.

it does to me....I've had to answer a 911 call like that before... three small children were thought to be home alone and it was later discovered their mama was deceased in the home with them.

I cried for days.

Trashed trailer would concern me......is that signs of a struggle? And, why is are they getting two Fed Ex deliveries in a row? Fed Ex in at a trailer two days in a row?? Wouldn't sound like struggling parents and stay at home jobs that require daily deliveries are usually well paid.....

Trashed trailer would concern me......is that signs of a struggle? And, why is are they getting two Fed Ex deliveries in a row? Fed Ex in at a trailer two days in a row?? Wouldn't sound like struggling parents and stay at home jobs that require daily deliveries are usually well paid.....

Yesterday was the only delivery. The driver yesterday mentioned it to another employee, and decided to call about it today.

I'm listening to the archive for further details on this. I may have missed some traffic when I went to get another cold beer.

cold beer, good scanner traffic - a great beginning to another weekend in paulding county....

I think my mother left me alone at home for the first time when I was around 12 --- happy, happy day!

And regarding those subsidized daycare programs ... they're not as common as you might think, nor are they always convenient/easy to use due to their hours, distance, etc.

I hope these kids are all right.

I'm curious. How young is too young to stay home alone? (Yes, I know 6 is too young.) I was a latch key kid at 10.

There was a paper sent home from Paulding schools this week about this. By law, 9 and over can be home for a max of 2 hours alone. Then, I think it said at 12 and over, they can be home for up to 12 hours alone. They gave a list of things that the child should know, and do.

Someone needs to slap that FEDX guy upside the head for not doing anything yesterday. Anything could have happened and it is better to be safe than sorry.

You got that right! Everybody always says " somebody needs to do something" and then NOBODY wants to "get involved!" <_<

I'm curious. How young is too young to stay home alone? (Yes, I know 6 is too young.) I was a latch key kid at 10.
We got a memo from the school in the first week. I'll see if I have it still. It was 2 different ages for different amounts of time.
There was a paper sent home from Paulding schools this week about this. By law, 9 and over can be home for a max of 2 hours alone. Then, I think it said at 12 and over, they can be home for up to 12 hours alone. They gave a list of things that the child should know, and do.
that's it!

the other day i was running a bit behind...and to top it off, after i p/u my 4yr old from Pre-K we got behind a school bus on Hiram Sudie....anyways, I was late getting home to meet my son at the bus stop by about 5 minutes....when i got home, i went in the house and the television was on....i figured my parents did it b/c they stop by from time to time....well as i go into the kitchen i see my little 6yr old son's head bobbling around....he was in the kitchen making some kool-aid....i was in panic mode...but he was fine....

now he wants to come home everyday by himself....i told him that was NOT going to happen for a few more years!

I worked with a child whose mother had moved to another state leaving her and her 2 little sisters alone in a trailer. They had been alone for 2 months before someone reported something being wrong. She had to learn to use a can opener because they ran out of boxed food to eat. Then they ran out of canned food. The power went off after a couple of weeks. They had running water, but nothing else.

She was 6 years old. Her sisters were 4 and 2. And it took 2 full months for someone to think something was wrong.

I worked with a child whose mother had moved to another state leaving her and her 2 little sisters alone in a trailer. They had been alone for 2 months before someone reported something being wrong. She had to learn to use a can opener because they ran out of boxed food to eat. Then they ran out of canned food. The power went off after a couple of weeks. They had running water, but nothing else.

She was 6 years old. Her sisters were 4 and 2. And it took 2 full months for someone to think something was wrong.

:o :o :(

:( I just don't understand some people. Those poor babies.

She's 12 now. And she is hoping tio be a Wednesday's Child soon. I keep looking for her. I know where her one of her sisters is. The youngest was adopted long ago. She and her sister have had some issues to deal with. SURPRISE!

She acts so much older than 12. Not sexually acting out, but just too grown up too early. I think that scares people.

She's 12 now. And she is hoping tio be a Wednesday's Child soon. I keep looking for her. I know where her one of her sisters is. The youngest was adopted long ago. She and her sister have had some issues to deal with. SURPRISE!

She acts so much older than 12. Not sexually acting out, but just too grown up too early. I think that scares people.

No surprise there. She probably *had* to grow up quick to survive. :(

the other day i was running a bit behind...and to top it off, after i p/u my 4yr old from Pre-K we got behind a school bus on Hiram Sudie....anyways, I was late getting home to meet my son at the bus stop by about 5 minutes....when i got home, i went in the house and the television was on....i figured my parents did it b/c they stop by from time to time....well as i go into the kitchen i see my little 6yr old son's head bobbling around....he was in the kitchen making some kool-aid....i was in panic mode...but he was fine....

now he wants to come home everyday by himself....i told him that was NOT going to happen for a few more years!

My son's bus driver told me (stopped in front of my house and yelled at me actually) that if I wasn't outside and she couldn't see me she wouldn't drop my child off. He is 5 so is this only a rule for kindergarteners?

i really don't know about that....we live in a fairly new but small subdivision....there is a lady who watches children down the street from me....next time i am running late, i will have to call her....i didnt realize the bus got to my house so quickly....i underestimated about 5 minutes

I've come across this situation before, except the parents were getting ready to go to work that night. Both parents worked from 8:00pm till 5:00am and had to leave their 8 year old and 5 year old alone all night. They basically put them to bed and then went to work. Neither had a high school diploma, so the income choices were limited, these were the best jobs they could get. And no grandparents or friends to watch the kids on a regular basis. It's a truely horrible choice to make that very few of us can identify with. For some you gotta do what keeps the lights on, the rent paid, and food on the table. It's will be easy for some on here to say one of them should have got a day job, but when the choice is $5.10 an hour at a rural McDonalds by day or $13.00 an hour at a local manufactoring company by night, it's not hard to decide, your gonna do what makes ends meet...

...And they took no government assistance, they stated that to me emphatically...

How can someone just discard their children like they were nothing but unwanted pets??? :( :( :(