Paulding.com

I agree and it's about time somebody said this.

I live off N. 61 and I am tired of risking my life just for a trip to the supermarket.

I really wish we could get some traffic enforcement up here.

Is there any way to create a petition for the city to see that we are fed up with no law enforcement in this area, its crazy, I see people going at least 90 mph every time I am on the road, and there is never a cop out in that area, ever.... I would be more then glad to sign it, as I am sure everyone else that lives on 61 would do the same. All they have to do is just set some cops out there, behind the hills, or in other inconspicuous places and pull over the people speeding. Eventually the word will get out that you can no longer go the speed of sound down 61 without having to pay a fine.... Anyone want to sign a petition, or make it?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any way to create a petition for the city to see that we are fed up with no law enforcement in this area, its crazy, I see people going at least 90 mph every time I am on the road, and there is never a cop out in that area, ever.... I would be more then glad to sign it, as I am sure everyone else that lives on 61 would do the same. All they have to do is just set some cops out there, behind the hills, or in other inconspicuous places and pull over the people speeding. Eventually the word will get out that you can no longer go the speed of sound down 61 without having to pay a fine.... Anyone want to sign a petition, or make it?

It is a state highway, so I am guessing that would up to the state troopers to enforce ?

I don't think you need to get a petition just get a bunch of you together and call up and say you want to speak at the next commissioners meeting. It will be a matter of public record that you are concerned for your safety and this is an election year. Politician's want to please the voters.

We have outgrown most of our resources in this county and roads that were meant to handle 2000 cars a day are now handling 10,000 (these numbers are pulled out of my hat to make a point), our police resources are stretched to the limit too. Last week , I was speaking to a sheriff and he said they would love to do more traffic enforcement but they are so busy answering calls that it usually doesn't happen. During time in between calls, they do try and do some radar in high risk areas but usually get pulled away for a 911 call. I think it is important to remember, The entire East Paulding area has seen incredible growth and resources in that area are probably the most impacted. I don't have an answer for you on how to solve our insufficient resources .

Does anyone know if the victims' identities have been released yet?

No they have not, and I do not and would not want to release them or their ages in fear that a loved one might be reading this post.

If anyone wants to get together and do anything pro active about this situation, you can count on me to help in anyway possible.

Perhaps organizing a meeting of concerned people in our area is our first step!

My daughter-in-law and her Dad were coming back from Cartersville this morning and said a van past them and some other vehicles. When the driver was able to get back in their own line they were about to top a hill. She said when that happened they were talking able how easy that person could have killed someone or theirself.

If anyone wants to get together and do anything pro active about this situation, you can count on me to help in anyway possible.

Perhaps organizing a meeting of concerned people in our area is our first step!

I'm all for being pro-active too. What minimal energy it takes to actualy 'make an effort' in something like this is well worth the possibility of saving a life.

It is not that hard,

A handful of folks agree they want to do it.

If committed enough we can all chip in a little cash and time to put out flyers and talk to friends and neighbors.

The Burnt Hickory Mrthodist churc has been known to allow meetings, especially should a member request it for the sake of the community.

A meeting to discuss what we want to accomplish, select people willing and articulate enough to attend the BOC meeting for us.

The first step is to get enough concerned people active.

Someone can draw up a petition to be signed at the meeting.

I have talked with the state on this very thing. He even came out to see 61. His answer was .There are only a few places on 61 for people to pass. They will not change the road markings. I even let him know about all the accidents and how bad they were and about the lives lost. Doesn't make a difference. I even went and spoke at the Dallas meeting and told them about lives beeing lost on 61. No roads change.

I have talked with the state on this very thing. He even came out to see 61. His answer was .There are only a few places on 61 for people to pass. They will not change the road markings. I even let him know about all the accidents and how bad they were and about the lives lost. Doesn't make a difference. I even went and spoke at the Dallas meeting and told them about lives beeing lost on 61. No roads change.

This does not surprise me.

Maybe we could have our own large signs made up.

To be placed at the worse places.

Maybe ones where you can change the numbers of fatalities on the sign in that zone.

Just like in Florida where they put the big crosses by the rd.

Or when Dot puts out signs about how many workers have been killed!

Just an idea.

This does not surprise me.

Maybe we could have our own large signs made up.

To be placed at the worse places.

Maybe ones where you can change the numbers of fatalities on the sign in that zone.

Just like in Florida where they put the big crosses by the rd.

Or when Dot puts out signs about how many workers have been killed!

Just an idea.

People are gonna pass no matter what sign is there or if the road has a dotted line or not. Crosses don't make a difference most of the time. But it makes ME personally dwell in the moment

My daughter-in-law and her Dad were coming back from Cartersville this morning and said a van past them and some other vehicles. When the driver was able to get back in their own line they were about to top a hill. She said when that happened they were talking able how easy that person could have killed someone or theirself.

Just to make sure everyone knows, the van was traveling north on 61. I was first medical on scene after just getting off shift in Cobb county. What I was told from witness on scene was the Explorer was traveling southbound, struck the guardrail then crossed the median hitting the van head on. He (the driver of the van) appeared to be in his lane and not at fault. Both were wearing seat belts, but the impact was to severe. Both victims were deceased on scene. Good news, if there is any, is that neither seemed to suffer. I was there within seconds to check both victims and neither was conscious or breathing. It's really sad and makes you value time with family and friends. People please slow down and don't be in such a hurry. The few minutes you save by speeding is NOT worth losing your life or causing someone else to lose theirs.

It's really sad and makes you value time with family and friends. People please slow down and don't be in such a hurry. The few minutes you save by speeding is NOT worth losing your life or causing someone else to lose theirs.

thank you for this..

I agree and it's about time somebody said this.

I live off N. 61 and I am tired of risking my life just for a trip to the supermarket.

I really wish we could get some traffic enforcement up here.

Then people would just come in here and complain about the "stupid PoPo" again!

This is the very reason they make traffic stops folks! To hopefully prevent just such accidents! Remember that the next time you get a ticket!

Then people would just come in here and complain about the "stupid PoPo" again!

This is the very reason they make traffic stops folks! To hopefully prevent just such accidents! Remember that the next time you get a ticket!

yeah? well let me tell ya something . i have to drive that damned rd alot of days. people in this county scare the hell out of me. slow down a little and dont try to pass me on double lines . I will not let you. i drive a long van with a trailer and i will swerve it in front of you if you try to pass me . also i will call the gsp and report your stupid ass'es. now off to work . have a nice day...

prayers sent to all involved....

yeah? well let me tell ya something . i have to drive that damned rd alot of days. people in this county scare the hell out of me. slow down a little and dont try to pass me on double lines . I will not let you. i drive a long van with a trailer and i will swerve it in front of you if you try to pass me . also i will call the gsp and report your stupid ass'es. now off to work . have a nice day...

I hear ya! Slowly down would solve all solutions.

And you'll get charged with wreckless\aggressive driving. Just let them do it, if they bump your trailer you'll end up losing too jackass.

I have the feeling you may be talking to one of the "po po's" ;)

Before you all jump on Froggie here.

Let me tell you my frustration level over this Hwy is up there.

There have been times I almost did what he has mentioned because someone passing me was approaching a rise and I know they did not have time if someone where to come over it,

Usually though I slow way down to make sure they have more distance and time, but often I think since they made it alright they will just do it again and maybe kill someone.

I really think it is time to get together and talk to Mr. Shearin about this.

When the highschool is comlpetely open we are going to add hundreds of children driving to school on this hwy.

Will it take these babies dying to get something done up here.

We can have a sheriffs deputy up here every day with radar giving tickets.

We can create a 1000 dollar fine for illegal passing.

We can put up an electronic sign showing your speed.

We can place some stop signs, and traffic lights.

We can save some lives,

Maybe your mother, father, wife, husband, or child.

The squeeky wheel gets the oil,

It may be time for us to do something, instead of living our lives in fear everyday.

Get together, write a letter,

Give permission to use your land for signs, put out your own sign.

Lets do something, instead of crying on here about all the folks dying!

Let's make North hwy 61 the last road in the county you would consider speeding on!

Let's save some lives folks!

Before you all jump on Froggie here.

Let me tell you my frustration level over this Hwy is up there.

There have been times I almost did what he has mentioned because someone passing me was approaching a rise and I know they did not have time if someone where to come over it,

Usually though I slow way down to make sure they have more distance and time, but often I think since they made it alright they will just do it again and maybe kill someone.

I really think it is time to get together and talk to Mr. Shearin about this.

When the highschool is comlpetely open we are going to add hundreds of children driving to school on this hwy.

Will it take these babies dying to get something done up here.

We can have a sheriffs deputy up here every day with radar giving tickets.

We can create a 1000 dollar fine for illegal passing.

We can put up an electronic sign showing your speed.

We can place some stop signs, and traffic lights.

We can save some lives,

Maybe your mother, father, wife, husband, or child.

The squeeky wheel gets the oil,

It may be time for us to do something, instead of living our lives in fear everyday.

Get together, write a letter,

Give permission to use your land for signs, put out your own sign.

Lets do something, instead of crying on here about all the folks dying!

Let's make North hwy 61 the last road in the county you would consider speeding on!

Let's save some lives folks!

Thank you! My entire family travels this road all the time (we live off of 61N). Oldest goes South to school everyday and hubby and I head that way for work. My youngest heads north now to NPHS and will be one of the teen drivers on this road in a couple of years. It scares me so much just to turn on to and off of High Shoals. Folks ffffffffffffffllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy over that hill and will take you out in a heartbeat! I'm with you on whatever it takes to make it safer! GSP camps out near the bridge a good bit, but not often enough!

I was headed out of town and had to backtrack down old Cartersville and then up 92 and 41 to Red Top Mt. (I was going to go to Cartersville on 61)...

Anyway, before I turned around, I snapped this long distance shot of the scene. I think that is the white SUV in the ditch on the right.

Sad scene.

pubby

aug0507accident.jpg

I was headed out of town and had to backtrack down old Cartersville and then up 92 and 41 to Red Top Mt. (I was going to go to Cartersville on 61)...

Anyway, before I turned around, I snapped this long distance shot of the scene. I think that is the white SUV in the ditch on the right.

Sad scene.

pubby

post-2-1186456082_thumb.jpg

What you see in the ditch is actually the van that was traveling north bound. It was hit just to the drivers side of head on at an angle. The SUV is sitting facing the van just behind the firetruck that you can see in the picture. Just thought I would let anyone know who was interested.

I, for one, would be very willing to do anything in our power to help convince law enforcement to make an attempt at speed control on 61 - it's a joke however to ask for more 'no passing' areas - I get passed daily on a double yellow -

the most heartbreaking is that an INNOCENT person is now dead - at NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN - this could have very easily been ME, with MY CHILDREN IN THE CAR - am I pissed? YES! And I have every right to be - just as everyone that lives in this area - and every parent of every child that attends Northside has a right to be ANGRY!!

I cannot express the depth of my sorrow at this moment - but it's moments such as this when I'm forced to wonder - what would happen to my children if I never made it to school to pick them up on any normal day................... at no fault of my own..........................................................

:(

I, for one, would be very willing to do anything in our power to help convince law enforcement to make an attempt at speed control on 61 - it's a joke however to ask for more 'no passing' areas - I get passed daily on a double yellow -

the most heartbreaking is that an INNOCENT person is now dead - at NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN - this could have very easily been ME, with MY CHILDREN IN THE CAR - am I pissed? YES! And I have every right to be - just as everyone that lives in this area - and every parent of every child that attends Northside has a right to be ANGRY!!

I cannot express the depth of my sorrow at this moment - but it's moments such as this when I'm forced to wonder - what would happen to my children if I never made it to school to pick them up on any normal day................... at no fault of my own..........................................................

:(

Amen, and I am also a bit upset with the little cop guy that was out there yesterday. All he did was sit in his car with his lights on. To me it was the first day of school and he should have been DIRECTING traffic instead of watching it and waiting on something to happen. :blink:

I am a little late in finding this thread. I have just learned about the accident and a very dear friend of mine was one of the victims. As I am reading the thread I am a little surprised at how everyone assumes they know what was happening and they are passing judgement.

The lady in the SUV has been a special person in my life for the past 7 years. She was not trying to pass anyone and I don't believe that she would have been speeding on purpose. The belief is that she suffered from either a stroke or heart attack at the time of the accident.

I understand everyone's frustration with regards to lives lost on the road but in some cases it isn't anybody's "fault" - it is only God calling two of his own at the same time.

I am a little late in finding this thread. I have just learned about the accident and a very dear friend of mine was one of the victims. As I am reading the thread I am a little surprised at how everyone assumes they know what was happening and they are passing judgement.

The lady in the SUV has been a special person in my life for the past 7 years. She was not trying to pass anyone and I don't believe that she would have been speeding on purpose. The belief is that she suffered from either a stroke or heart attack at the time of the accident.

I understand everyone's frustration with regards to lives lost on the road but in some cases it isn't anybody's "fault" - it is only God calling two of his own at the same time.

I am sorry for your loss!

Prayers said

I am so sorry,

I started another thread, starting with an apology,

I realized after I calmed down that it was innapropriate to have vented my frustration in the accident thread.

Again all I can say is that it was wrong to have done so, and I am very sorry.

I am very sorry for your loss and the families of the victims.

I'm sorry for your loss of a dear friend.

I certainly hope for the sake of her family that she did indeed suffer from some type of attack, because I couldn't imagine the grief of losing a loved one compounded by the knowledge of the responsibility of taking the life of an innocent person.