6 replies to this topic

#1 tpdrums

tpdrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

Good morning all,

I am a local drummer in the Dallas area and just could not help but to start reading these posts. My wife is a teacher who has taught children with special needs and because of her passion to help others I too have become involved. Over the past several months I have been trying to get my drum instruction practice up and running and through this I have came across many people who use drums and percussion as a tool to help fight autism.

Many of you many know of the musical and instrumental performer Yanni. His drummer, Charlie Adams, has two sons that are both autistic. Charlie has created a wonderful organization to help support those who have autism. He is a great person and one of my personal heros.

Another organization, to which I am a member of is called TRAP, or The Rythmic Arts Project (traponline.com). It is a non-profit group of musicians, teachers, and medical staff who volunteer their time and resources to organize and present gatherings where drums and percussion instruments are used to teach skills to those with mental and physical diabilities. It is open to everyone both children and adults and is soooooo much fun and inspirational to everyone who is involved. There are approx. 5 members of this organization here in the Atlanta area. My plans are to get a TRAP project going here locally soon.

Anyway... I just wanted to offer my support. As a father who has a son with CP, I understand how tough life can sometimes be, but through the grace of God we all will continue on. Please let me know if I can be of any help in anyway. God bless you all.
Tony Pence
Drum & Percussion Instructor
tonypence@hotmail.com

#2 Cb1221

Cb1221

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

I don't know anything about the role Percussion has as therapy for autistic children, But I do know personally it helped me with a lot of problems. It helped me get focus and if something was bothering me I would go play my set for hours.
Does your business need a web presence? Email solution? Cb122 Consulting is a full service provider offering Computer maintenance, Web and Graphic design, and web hosting.
Pm me or email me at cb122@cb122.com

#3 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (tpdrums @ Jul 26 2007, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good morning all,

I am a local drummer in the Dallas area and just could not help but to start reading these posts. My wife is a teacher who has taught children with special needs and because of her passion to help others I too have become involved. Over the past several months I have been trying to get my drum instruction practice up and running and through this I have came across many people who use drums and percussion as a tool to help fight autism.

Many of you many know of the musical and instrumental performer Yanni. His drummer, Charlie Adams, has two sons that are both autistic. Charlie has created a wonderful organization to help support those who have autism. He is a great person and one of my personal heros.

Another organization, to which I am a member of is called TRAP, or The Rythmic Arts Project (traponline.com). It is a non-profit group of musicians, teachers, and medical staff who volunteer their time and resources to organize and present gatherings where drums and percussion instruments are used to teach skills to those with mental and physical diabilities. It is open to everyone both children and adults and is soooooo much fun and inspirational to everyone who is involved. There are approx. 5 members of this organization here in the Atlanta area. My plans are to get a TRAP project going here locally soon.

Anyway... I just wanted to offer my support. As a father who has a son with CP, I understand how tough life can sometimes be, but through the grace of God we all will continue on. Please let me know if I can be of any help in anyway. God bless you all.

That sounds wonderful! My son was saying a couple of days ago that he would like to learn to play the drums... and he has autism. smile.gif

#4 tpdrums

tpdrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Cb122 Consulting @ Jul 26 2007, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know anything about the role Percussion has as therapy for autistic children, But I do know personally it helped me with a lot of problems. It helped me get focus and if something was bothering me I would go play my set for hours.

I too have sat behind my set playing due to issues and/or problems I was facing. It is a great relaxation tool and re-focus method.

To clarify on TRAP and the use of percussion as a tool for those who have autism and other disorders... Through TRAP, drums and percussion are used to teach and enhance basic life skills like maintaining focus, using memory, taking turns, developing leadership, using numbers, using prepositional concepts, following instructions, and modeling. Issues of spatial awareness, fine and gross motor skills, and speech are also addressed. Teaching occurs in an environment that is fun and not threatening so participants develop improved confidence and a more positive self-image.

It is a great program with many benifits.

Hope you are still drumming! If you are not... time to start again. Take care!
Tony Pence
tonypence@hotmail.com

#5 tpdrums

tpdrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (ReadingRules @ Jul 26 2007, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds wonderful! My son was saying a couple of days ago that he would like to learn to play the drums... and he has autism. smile.gif

AWESOME! I get excited when I here of people wanting to learn how to play. Drumming is my life and I am so glad I have came across a method of using my gift as a drummer to help others. If I may help in any way, please let me know. If you would like to talk off forum, send me an e-mail at tpence@flightworks.com. Thank you.
Tony Pence
tonypence@hotmail.com

#6 Reubens

Reubens

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

Ok, I guess I'm just not understanding this yet. Do you teach the disabled person or do they listen to you play? Also, how much does this cost? Maybe you could meet interested people at the library or someplace so you can really explain it. (Just a thought) I think I would be interested.

#7 tpdrums

tpdrums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Reubens @ Jul 26 2007, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I guess I'm just not understanding this yet. Do you teach the disabled person or do they listen to you play? Also, how much does this cost? Maybe you could meet interested people at the library or someplace so you can really explain it. (Just a thought) I think I would be interested.

Everyone is involved... The individual who has the disability, the parents, sisters, brothers, teachers, doctors, ect... It is not so much teaching the individual how to play drums as it is teaching them basic life skills through the use of drums. It is not a drum lesson. It is all about teaching skills and using drums as the tool. You don't have to have any music background at all. It is a lot of fun. Usually the instruments used are bongos, congas, shakers, and other African percussion instruments. These instruments are not as challenging as others and allow the individual to learn the skills being presented rather than trying to learn technique of how to just play the drum.

Unfortunately at this time, there are no TRAP programs in the area. This is why I plan to start one as quickly as I can. In the TRAP member database, there are 4 or 5 members located in the Atlanta area.

While is is free to the participants, there are cost for instructional materials and of course... the drum and percussion equipment to get started. These usually run in the neighborhood of $1200.00 total. I hope to get funding through local sponsors and businesses for this. Wish me luck.

TRAP also has a website located at traponline.com if you would like to check it out. Please let me know ifyou have any other questions. Thanks you.
Tony Pence
tonypence@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics