Paulding.com

Having been a victim......... you brought tears to my eyes. I said "NO!" three times..... loud and clear...... but did the cop stop? No... I teach my son the same thing....... he is 6 and learning that no matter what...... if a girl says no..... just back away. It's the safe and smart thing to do. No one gets hurt. Thank you. :)

...... and I didn't report it........ what was the point........... he was a "name" in the community, no one would have believed me.

I am sorry for what you went through. It is a terrible, violent crime and I hate that you were violated in such a horrible way. He knows what he did and he will pay for it sooner or later. <_<

Thank you.......... I'm actually pretty cool with the whole thing at this point.... (this was 26 or more years ago). But I've learned a lesson or two from it........ trust no one! :p Not in a mean and spiteful way...... but nothing surprises me anymore..... and as far as my kids are concerned....... never get yourself in a situation....... and NO MEANS NO!!!

My statement no way detracts from any woman who is truly a victim as some would try to make it. Find the facts for yourself instead of burying you head in the sand. The FBI study proved 40% were false....add the he said/she said cases and the number is higher.

http://www.anandaanswers.com/pages/naaStats.html

James Anderson is doing hard time in an Oregon State Penitentiary for a rape he didn’t commit. In his recently published Falling on the Deaf Ear: Understanding the Growing False Accusations of Rape Crisis in the US, and How to Stop It, Anderson builds a troubling case. Following are a few examples from hundreds of references.

• Citing a recent USA Today article, discussing the miracle of DNA and FBI studies of sexual assault suspects, DNA testing exonerated about 30 percent to 35 percent of the more than 4,000 sexual assault suspects on whom the FBI had conducted DNA testing over the past three years.

• In the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit’s study of False Allegations conducted in 1983 of 556 rape investigations, a total of 220 (40%) of these reported rapes turned out to be false. Over one fourth of these 556 turned out to be hoaxes. And yet, some feminists and rape counselors claim that only two percent of rape reports are false.

• Linda Fairstein, who directs the prosecution of sexual assault in New York, says that there are approximately 4,000 reports of rape each year in Manhattan. Of these, about half simply did not happen. Says Fairstein, “It’s my job to bring justice to the man who has been falsely accused by a woman who has a grudge against him, just as it’s my job to prosecute the real thing.”

• In New Zealand, police officials have stated that 64 percent of rape reports are false and that some women are making a business out of being raped, collecting sometimes up to $10,000 compensation per case.

• The FBI stated that in 1990 over 8,500 of the rapes reported proved to be false. False reports of child abuse were twice that figure.

......there is certainly an element of truth to what you are saying........ but I think, if the numbers were known...... that the number of real and unreported rapes would far outweigh the false reports.

(Me thinks thou doth protest too much.) :lol:

Reality check. TRUE FBI stats do not agree.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_re...cible_rape.html

During 2004, approximately 94,635 females nationwide were victims of forcible rape.

Based on your numbers, less than 1% are false reports.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/ncvrw/2005/pg5o.html

Rape and Sexual Assault

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, there were 198,850 rapes and sexual assaults measured in 2003. (Bureau of Justice Statistics. 2004. Criminal Victimization, 2003. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

Among female victims of rape and sexual assault, 70 percent of the crimes were committed by intimates, other relatives, friends or acquaintances. (Ibid.)

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, the average number of rapes and sexual assaults during 2002 and 2003 was 223,290 of which 81,310 crimes were rapes; 61,060 were attempted rapes, and 80,910 were sexual assaults. (Ibid.)

In 2003, weapons were present in rapes and sexual assaults 11 percent of the time. (Ibid.)

The annual rate of rapes and sexual assaults overall between 1993 and 2003 declined 68 percent. (Ibid.)

In 2003, 38.5 percent of rapes and sexual assaults were reported to the police. (Ibid.)

In 2002 and 2003 respectively, 69.1 and 70.0 alleged sexual assaults were reported per 100,000 uniformed service members. Across the Department of Defense, there were 901 cases reported of uniformed service victims in 2002 and 1,012 cases reported in 2003. (U.S. Department of Defense. 2004. Task Force Report on Care for Victims of Sexual Assault. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Defense.)

Victims of sexual assault committed by juveniles are younger than 18 years of age approximately 96 percent of the time. (Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. 2004. Victims of Violent Juvenile Crime. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

Adult victims of juvenile sex offenders were much less likely to be strangers than were adult victims of adult sex offenders. (Ibid.)

More than one in four victims of a juvenile or adult sex offender was a family member. (Ibid.)

Contrary to common belief that violent crime rates are notably lower in rural areas, a recent analysis of location data collected for the 1989 National Women's Study found that 10.1 percent of women living in rural areas had experienced a completed rape compared to 13.6 percent of women living in urban and suburban communities. (Lewis, S. 2003. Unspoken Crimes: Sexual Assault in Rural America. Enola, PA: National Sexual Violence Resource Center.)

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the number of forcible rapes reported to law enforcement in 2003 declined in every population group in the nation with the exception of communities of 25,000 to 49,999 where reports increased by 3.2 percent and communities of under 10,000 where reports increased by 3.7 percent. (Federal Bureau of Investigation. 2004. Crime in the United States, Preliminary Uniform Crime Reports, 2003. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

Overall, forcible rapes reported to law enforcement in 2003 declined by 1.9 percent from 2002. (Ibid.)

According to FBI statistics, there were 95,136 forcible rapes of females in 2002, representing a 4.7 percent increase from the previous year. (Federal Bureau of Investigation. 2003. Crime in the United States, 2002. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

Arrests for forcible rape in 2002 were estimated at 28,288. (Ibid.)

An average of 140,990 completed rapes, 109,230 attempted rapes, and 152,680 completed and attempted sexual assaults were committed against persons age 12 or older in the United States between the years 1992 and 2000. (Bureau of Justice Statistics. 2002. Rape and Sexual Assault: Reporting to Police and Medical Attention, 1992-2000. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

Only 36 percent of completed rapes were reported to the police during the years 1992 to 2000. Thirty-four percent of the attempted rapes, and 26 percent of the completed and attempted sexual assaults were reported. (Ibid.)

A recently published eight-year study indicates that when perpetrators of completed rape are current or former husbands or boyfriends, the crimes go unreported to the police 77 percent of the time. When the perpetrators are friends or acquaintances, the rapes go unreported 61 percent of the time. When the perpetrators are strangers, the rapes go unreported 54 percent of the time. (Ibid.)

A recent report based on the 1995 National Survey of Adolescents (NSA) found that 13 percent of girls and 3.4 percent of boys surveyed had been sexually assaulted. (National Institute of Justice. 2003. Youth Victimization: Prevalence and Implications. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

Of the sexual assault victims in the NSA, 74 percent reported that the assault was committed by someone they knew well. Almost one-third (32.5 percent) of sexual assault cases involved perpetrators who were friends, 21.1 percent were committed by a family member, and 23.2 percent were committed by strangers. (Ibid.)

Slightly more than one in four sexual assault victims (28.1 percent) said they feared death or serious injury during the sexual assault. (Ibid.)

The majority of adolescent sexual assaults (86 percent) went unreported. (Ibid.)

Offenders perceived to be using drugs and/or alcohol committed about two in five rapes/sexual assaults against college students. (Bureau of Justice Statistics. 2003. Violent Victimization of College Students. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.)

Between 1995 – 2000, 86 percent of all rapes/sexual assaults committed against college students were not reported to police, compared to 12 percent that were reported. (Ibid

Edited to add: DNA can be used to convict or clear someone. Either way, it does not mean the woman was not raped by someone, just that mistakes were made in prosecution.

Ok...here is another study.

n 1994, Dr. Eugene J. Kanin of Purdue University investigated the incidences, in one small urban community, of false rape allegations made to the police between 1978 and 1987. Unlike those in many larger jurisdictions, this police department had the resources to "seriously record and pursue to closure all rape complaints, regardless of their merits". The falseness of the allegations was not decided by the police, or by Dr. Kanin; they were "... declared false only because the complainant admitted they are false." The number of false rape allegations in the studied period was 45; this was 41% of the 109 total complaints filed in this period. The figure of 41% forms a lower estimate of the total number of false rape accusations given to the police during this period. It is unlikely that a significant number of valid rape complaints were recanted. All accusers were told that false accusations were a crime and that they faced prosecution upon recantation. An accuser could have simply dropped the case, without formally recanting, and would not have faced the possibility of prosecution. It is possible, however, that some false accusations were never recanted and even resulted in a conviction. In Dr. Kanin's research, the complainants who made false allegations did so (by their own statements during recantation) for one or some combination of three major reasons:

* providing an alibi. Dr. Kanin's report describes a woman who got into a bar fight and, fearing that this might prevent her from regaining custody of her children, filed a rape complaint to account for her injuries.

* a means of gaining revenge. Dr. Kanin's report describes an 18 year old woman who engages in consexual sex with a boarder staying at her house. After he refuses to continue their relationship she accuses him of rape.

* a platform for seeking attention/sympathy. Dr. Kanin's report describes a woman who becomes attracted to her therapist and in an attempt to elicit sympathy from him fabricates a story of rape and is subsequently pressured by him to report it to the police.

Dr. Kanin also looked at the police records of two large midwestern state universities and found that, of the 64 rape accusations, 32 (50%) were eventually recanted. Unlike the city police in the other study, the university police did not use polygraph examinations and the investigations were all performed by female officers. This figure also forms a lower estimate of the total number of false accusations reported to the police during this period and it is similarly possible that there were false accusations that were never recanted and resulted in convictions. However Kanin warns against reading too much into his results: "Certainly our intent is not to suggest that the 41 percent incidence found here be extrapolated to other populations, particularly in light of our ignorance regarding the structural variables."

Reality check. TRUE FBI stats do not agree.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_re...cible_rape.html

Based on your numbers, less than 1% are false reports.

I have yet to find anywhere in those numbers an analysis to show how many were recanted or proven false. They seem to deal with only reported rapes through UCR stats.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
Ok...here is another study.

n 1994, Dr. Eugene J. Kanin of Purdue University investigated the incidences, in one small urban community, of false rape allegations made to the police between 1978 and 1987. Unlike those in many larger jurisdictions, this police department had the resources to "seriously record and pursue to closure all rape complaints, regardless of their merits". The falseness of the allegations was not decided by the police, or by Dr. Kanin; they were "... declared false only because the complainant admitted they are false." The number of false rape allegations in the studied period was 45; this was 41% of the 109 total complaints filed in this period. The figure of 41% forms a lower estimate of the total number of false rape accusations given to the police during this period. It is unlikely that a significant number of valid rape complaints were recanted. All accusers were told that false accusations were a crime and that they faced prosecution upon recantation. An accuser could have simply dropped the case, without formally recanting, and would not have faced the possibility of prosecution. It is possible, however, that some false accusations were never recanted and even resulted in a conviction. In Dr. Kanin's research, the complainants who made false allegations did so (by their own statements during recantation) for one or some combination of three major reasons:

* providing an alibi. Dr. Kanin's report describes a woman who got into a bar fight and, fearing that this might prevent her from regaining custody of her children, filed a rape complaint to account for her injuries.

* a means of gaining revenge. Dr. Kanin's report describes an 18 year old woman who engages in consexual sex with a boarder staying at her house. After he refuses to continue their relationship she accuses him of rape.

* a platform for seeking attention/sympathy. Dr. Kanin's report describes a woman who becomes attracted to her therapist and in an attempt to elicit sympathy from him fabricates a story of rape and is subsequently pressured by him to report it to the police.

Dr. Kanin also looked at the police records of two large midwestern state universities and found that, of the 64 rape accusations, 32 (50%) were eventually recanted. Unlike the city police in the other study, the university police did not use polygraph examinations and the investigations were all performed by female officers. This figure also forms a lower estimate of the total number of false accusations reported to the police during this period and it is similarly possible that there were false accusations that were never recanted and resulted in convictions. However Kanin warns against reading too much into his results: "Certainly our intent is not to suggest that the 41 percent incidence found here be extrapolated to other populations, particularly in light of our ignorance regarding the structural variables."

Please show your link to this study. I find it suspect at best and would like to check out its validity. BTW, I used your number on the number of false reports and I also showed WHY some reports are changed during investigation. I also am noting how dated your studies are and the belief that most people had regarding rape 15-20 years ago.

Still researching, but here is a start.

http://cathyyoung.blogspot.com/2005/12/pro...llegations.html

This is a citation for the USAF CID study, which classified 27% of rape allegations as false:

"False Allegations," Forensic Science Digest, V. 11, no. 4, Dec. 1985, p. 64, by Charles P. McDowell.

I'm not sure the Justice Dept. collects data on false reporting of crimes.

My original post has some data on "unfounded" allegations from the FBI, and false allegations from a study by Eugene Kanin.

But again, I don't think there's any solid information.

http://www.ccasa.org/documents/Rape_Myths_&_Facts.pdf Not a favorite link. Prefer official ones.

Myth: Most rapes are reported by women who “change their minds” afterwards or

who want to “get even” with a man.

Fact: FBI statistics show that only 3% of rape calls are false reports. This is the same

false-report rate that is usual for other kinds of felonies.

Please show your link to this study. I find it suspect at best and would like to check out its validity. BTW, I used your number on the number of false reports and I also showed WHY some reports are changed during investigation. I also am noting how dated your studies are and the belief that most people had regarding rape 15-20 years ago.

Dr. Kanin study.

Additionally, for a declaration of false charge to be made, the complainant must admit that no rape had occurred. She is the sole agent who can say that the rape charge is false. The police department will not declare a rape charge as false when the complainant, for whatever reason, fails to pursue the charge or cooperate on the case, regardless how much doubt the police may have regarding the validity of the charge. In short, these cases are declared false only because the complainant admitted they are false.

I already explained why some women change their story, so "admitting" it was a false report isn't clear cut to me

. . . Most problematic is the question of the generalizability of these findings from a single police agency handling a relatively small number of cases. Certainly, our intent is not to suggest that the 41% incidence found here be extrapolated to other populations,

EXACTLY!

One small town in the MidWest with one police department (who knows how they question people) is not an acceptable study.

EDITED TO ADD: Polygraphs will be inconclusive if the person taking the exam is extremely emotional and upset, like a rape victim maybe? Also, FYI, people who are sociopaths will pass a lie detector with no problem. Why? Because their heart rate and blood pressure are not impacted by lying because they don't care about lying.

http://sa.rochester.edu/masa/stats.php

The rate of false reports of rape is approximately 2 - 3% which is no different than that for other crimes. This is different than the 8% of reports which are unfounded. This means that in 8% of the rape cases reported the investigators or prosecutors deemed that the case was not prosecutable for any number of reasons. Only 2 - 3% of the reports however were fabricated stories.

Still looking for better evidence, but this is a fairly acceptable resource.

One small town in the MidWest with one police department (who knows how they question people) is not an acceptable study.

That is the only type study you will find. No one has the time and manpower to do a nationwide study of every rape. They have to localize somehow.

You missed this part though.

In 1988, we gained access to the police records of two large Midwestern state universities. With the assistance of the chief investigating officers for rape offenses, all forcible rape complaints during the past 3 years were examined. Since the two schools produced a roughly comparable number of rape complaints and false rape allegations, the false allegation cases were combined, n = 32. This represents exactly 50% of all forcible rape complaints reported on both campuses. Quite unexpectedly then, we find that these university women, when filing a rape complaint, were as likely to file a false as a valid charge. Other reports from university police agencies support these findings (Jay, 1991). In both police agencies, the taking of the complaint and the follow-up investigation was the exclusive responsibility of a ranking female officer. Neither agency employed the polygraph and neither declared the complaint false without a recantation of the charge. Most striking is the patterning of the reasons for the false allegations given by the complainants, a patterning similar to that found for the nonstudent city complainants. Approximately one half (53%) of the false charges were verbalized as serving an alibi function. In every case, consensual sexual involvement led to problems whose solution seemed to be found in the filing of a rape charge. The complaints motivated by revenge, about 44%, were of the same seemingly trivial and spiteful nature as those encountered by the city police agency. Only one complainant fell into the attention/sympathy category. These unanticipated but supportive parallel findings on university populations suggest that the complications and conflicts of heterosexual involvements are independent of educational level. In fact, we found nothing substantially different here from those cases encountered by our city police agency.

Again, small study (2 college campuses), old study (1988), and who did the investigating (campus cops). Think about it? You are a young girl on a college campus. Do you want to be known as the girl who cried rape? Or would you just want it to go away? Just say it didn't happen? After all, you wore THOSE shorts, you kissed THAT guy, you were drinking THAT much, you got in THAT car. Would you want to deal with it?

If (and it does happen to men too) you were raped by a man, would you want to have to tell the story over and over to everyone? Would you want doctors probing your private parts looking for evidence? Would you want to explain to everyone why you were doing everything you have ever done? Or, would you just want to pretend it never happened and just try to make it go away?

Just to let you know, about 10 years ago on the Kennesaw State campus, a man was going around and attacking men getting into their cars. He would come up behind them and render them unconcious (hitting or stun gun or something) and then he would rape them in their cars. How many of those men reported it? How many would have continued on in court to have him convicted? I never heard about the conviction and only a couple were even fully investigated because the men changed their minds.

ugadawg are you a male? have you ever been close to anyone who's ever been in this situation? I, for your sake, hope that you never come across this in your life; never have a daughter, sister, grandmother, mother, aunt, niece or friend who will make you have to eat any of words your argument in this thread suggests. You really paint a very sad picture of yourself here, in my most honest opinion. I hope you realize that.

Most importantly, In this thread, in this situation,here in the scanner forum, a woman was possibly raped.

We don't know any of the circumstances.

We know that a person was quite possibly violated in our home town and either had the gall or guts to report it.

Please, save face, throw down the shovel you've got and climb your way out of the hole you've dug for yourself and find something else to do this fine Saturday.

ugadawg are you a male? have you ever been close to anyone who's ever been in this situation? I, for your sake, hope that you never come across this in your life; never have a daughter, sister, grandmother, mother, aunt, niece or friend who will make you have to eat any of words your argument in this thread suggests. You really paint a very sad picture of yourself here, in my most honest opinion. I hope you realize that.

Most importantly, In this thread, in this situation,here in the scanner forum, a woman was possibly raped.

We know that a person was quite possibly violated in our home town and either had the gall or guts to report it.

Please, save face, throw down the shovel you've got and climb your way out of the hole you've dug for yourself and find something else to do this fine Saturday.

That so totally rocks!

Oh and please remember that the number of boys being raped has rose dramatically (both in reported and suspected cases) and we should protect our sons too. -_-

That so totally rocks!

Oh and please remember that the number of boys being raped has rose dramatically (both in reported and suspected cases) and we should protect our sons too. -_-

Absolutely! My ex-hubby was raped by a group of males long before I met him....... he never told anyone.

......and yes! B-dub...... that totally rocks!!!

I guess when you see as many victims as I have and you have heard how they changed their stories because the investigation was just too painful, you get a little defensive. I think people need to be aware that false reports are rare. Extremely rare.

I had to hold a 12yo down so the hospital could complete a sexual assault kit on her. She went through HELL, and she was only 12. It had to be done or a child rapist would have been free to walk the streets. As a mother, I would have a hard time allowing my child to go through that. As an adult, I would be tempted to drop the whole thing because of that. The woman doing the exam was kind and gentle, but it is traumatic. I think anyone who has the strength to go through that is amazing. And that was just the first step of the investigation. Then came the questioning by everyone, facing the violater, etc., etc.

Think about who would go through that for revenge? Who is really being hurt by the report? And who would be willing to go through that just to "get even" with someone? Not many.

Speaking of male rapes, did you read about the teen who committed suicide this week because he was sexually assaulted by a group of men? He had made it through the trial and everything, but he just couldn't handle what had happened. He was one hell of a kid to get that far, I wish he had had the proper counseling to help him get through it before he reached the point of suicide.

Speaking of male rapes, did you read about the teen who committed suicide this week because he was sexually assaulted by a group of men? He had made it through the trial and everything, but he just couldn't handle what had happened. He was one hell of a kid to get that far, I wish he had had the proper counseling to help him get through it before he reached the point of suicide.

I read about that........ when it first happened and then how he committed suicide. Poor kid. No one deserves that...... no one. :(

A hole???? I guess it is not politically correct to discuss facts. Just stick you head in the sand and forget about it is the answer.

Once again...where did I detract from anyone who is a victim????? The discussion was of crime in general and I posted facts.

For your info I have been close to both sides. I know someone who was raped by an ex-boyfriend and I also know someone who nearly had his life destroyed by a false accusation. She wanted a relationship and I guess he wanted a night of fun. The only way he was saved was because some of her friends came forward and told the police she admitted to them it was not true. Confronted with that she cracked. Check out the Duke boys also...that brought this matter to the fore front again. Both are victims in my opinion.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

Didn't say it never happened, only said it was very rare. I can see 2-3% being false, not nearly 50%. Honestly, can you?

You did not post "facts," you posted propaganda. A cult is your basis of fact? A seriously flawed study is your fact? WRONG! I have to call you on that one.

Didn't say it never happened, only said it was very rare. I can see 2-3% being false, not nearly 50%. Honestly, can you?

You did not post "facts," you posted propaganda. A cult is your basis of fact? A seriously flawed study is your fact? WRONG! I have to call you on that one.

Yes...I can see it. I posted independent studies and all you posted was FBI UCR stats looking for cases marked unfounded. They did not look for ex-cleared or inactive for lack of substantiating evidence, lack of cooperation from the victim, ect.

Since you want FBI studies here is one. The UCR report for 1996. As said earlier...the only way LE marks a case unfounded is if the person recants the story to them. This does not include inactive and ex-cleared cases that are not prosecuted because of no supporting evidence, flaws in complainants story, proof of innocence of the accused, ect. If it makes you feel any better I believe probably 1/3 of all crimes reported are false...not just rape. Rape just seems to stand out because of the price the accused pay even if the case is not true.

As with all other Crime Index offenses, complaints of

forcible rape made to law enforcement agencies are sometimes

found to be false or baseless. In such cases, law enforcement

agencies “unfound” the offenses and exclude them from crime

counts. The “unfounded” rate, or percentage of complaints

determined through investigation to be false, is higher for forcible

rape than for any other Index crime. Eight percent of

forcible rape complaints in 1996 were “unfounded,” while the

average for all Index crimes was 2 percent.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
A hole???? I guess it is not politically correct to discuss facts. Just stick you head in the sand and forget about it is the answer.

Once again...where did I detract from anyone who is a victim????? The discussion was of crime in general and I posted facts.

For your info I have been close to both sides. I know someone who was raped by an ex-boyfriend and I also know someone who nearly had his life destroyed by a false accusation. She wanted a relationship and I guess he wanted a night of fun. The only way he was saved was because some of her friends came forward and told the police she admitted to them it was not true. Confronted with that she cracked. Check out the Duke boys also...that brought this matter to the fore front again. Both are victims in my opinion.

It has nothing to do with PC-ness. It has to do with compassion in *this* thread. You started off on the notion that it must be bullcheeze (must have been a one night stand that was regretted) and now you're defending your stance. Easy enough.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics/reporting.html

How Many Reports Are False?

There is widespread opinion that a large number of reported sexual assaults are false claims. That is absolutely not true. According to the FBI, in 2003 5.5% of sexual assaults were determined to be unfounded. "Unfounded" includes cases when there is insufficient evidence, the victim decides not to follow through with prosecution, the victim repeatedly changes the account of rape, the victim recants and police are unable to locate the victim as well as when the allegation is found to be false.

2003, your numbers are ridiculous! But, hey, maybe you will never have to deal with it.

It has nothing to do with PC-ness. It has to do with compassion in *this* thread. You started off on the notion that it must be bullcheeze (must have been a one night stand that was regretted) and now you're defending your stance. Easy enough.

Nope...I was only responding the the person I quoted who said "the victim probably knows the person". Everyone else spun it into this as they gave out their prayers and thoughts for this unidentified person over a 5 second scanner transmission.

As stated earlier, "unfounded" covers several things, including false allegations. And only 8% were unfounded.

http://www.stats.org/stories/2002/commonly_dec13_06.htm

Rapes - 700,000 a year

Derivation: A report from the Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center (CVRTC) in 1992, concluding that 683,000 women were forcibly raped each year. It also concluded that 84% of rapes were not reported to the police.

Actually: The figure is generally agreed to be somewhere around the level revealed in the National Criminal Victimization Survey (NCVS) (survey-interview based). The FBI=s 1997 data of crimes actually reported to the police showed 96,122 forcible and attempted rapes per year (discounting an 8% incidence of "unfounded" rape reports), while the NCVS for 1996 estimated 98,000 rapes and 99,000 attempted rapes.

There may still be a problem with under-reporting of the crime in the NCVS. Higher figures derive from surveys which seek to address this problem, but their methodology is often suspect, leading to probable inclusion of non-criminal incidents.

I do feel sorry for you though. You are so clueless. And I feel even more sorry for any women in your life who may be victimized. You, no doubt, will think it to be a lie.

As stated earlier, "unfounded" covers several things, including false allegations. And only 8% were unfounded.

http://www.stats.org/stories/2002/commonly_dec13_06.htm

I do feel sorry for you though. You are so clueless. And I feel even more sorry for any women in your life who may be victimized. You, no doubt, will think it to be a lie.

Unfounded includes when the police can prove a crime was not committed....those crimes are then taken away from the national numbers. Unless the "victim" recants their story the police will not unfound the case...it is ex-cleared or moved inactive. Some groups will try to minimize the false complaints by giving false reasons for when and why the police will unfound a case.

Don't feel sorry for me, I can separate the real from the false. I realize rape is a horrible crime and I believe those convicted deserve life. I There is no rehabilitation of a sex offender because their crime is about power not the sex act itself. I also think we should expand our false report of a crime laws because when people are falsely accused of certain crimes it makes them the victim.

The problem with this discussion is the crime of rape is so emotional. People let emotion blind them. They look at any complaint of that crime and instant guilt and wish to hang the suspect on the spot...the Duke case proves that. False report of crime hurts those who are true victims most of all.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
If someone regretted a one night stand, why in the world would they want to bring it to attention? Wouldn't they want to pretend it never happened and never mention it again?
NOt true... I know a girl who did this she went to the police 4 days after having relations and lied her Arse off.. It was proven in court she did this to others in the past.. so sometimes people thrive on any form of attention they can receive regardless of how bad it looks.. ***I am no way suggesting I think that this is the case with this vicitm just stating that there are psycho's out there***Has there been any news regarding the victim.. I hope they are doing well.. Their will be a lot of healing needed to be done for this person... :(