#1 mrsjones

mrsjones

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

we're going camping this weekend.... all the way to Stone Mountain biggrin.gif

anyone got any breakfast, lunch or dinner recipes they wanna share? really i wonder what to have for breakfast.

(we don't do seafood, but you can post them ifn you want, someone else may wanna try it)

thanks.

me smile.gif
George Hughes

#2 leslie71

leslie71

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

for breakfast, I recommend simple things like cereal, fruit, granola bars, etc....but if you have a camp stove you can totally do a full breakfast with eggs, sausage, etc.

also, if you want to keep food cold longer without it getting all soggy, get some dry ice at Publix...put it in the bottom of your cooler and cover it with a folded towel, then put the food on top of the towel. you can also put bagged ice in there and it'll stay frozen a lot longer

smile.gif

#3 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Have you ever made ziplock baggie omelets?

Super-easy and very yummy--and perfect for camping!

#4 yardmower

yardmower

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

I did a lot of camping in my younger years ( a long time ago). I always found the simpler the meal the better the better is was.
Try hot dogs on a stick over a camp fire or even in a fire contained in a weber style grill , a camp fire contained like that
is safer anyway. Maybe some cold macaroni salad and baked beans. Just don't try and make it too fancy.

enjoy

#5 mrsbhavn

mrsbhavn

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

QUOTE (Lesley @ Jun 5 2007, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for breakfast, I recommend simple things like cereal, fruit, granola bars, etc....but if you have a camp stove you can totally do a full breakfast with eggs, sausage, etc.

also, if you want to keep food cold longer without it getting all soggy, get some dry ice at Publix...put it in the bottom of your cooler and cover it with a folded towel, then put the food on top of the towel. you can also put bagged ice in there and it'll stay frozen a lot longer

smile.gif

Have you tried this before? Is the dry ice expensive? We're going camping this weekend too and I'd like to try it out.

#6 LuV D@ M0N3Y

LuV D@ M0N3Y

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well Smores' are my all time FAV! roasted over the camp fire hot dawgs! hamburgers, Watermelon .. and sandwiches that is always what we eat .. and of course we starve to death lol

In Loving Memory Of Joshua Lee Paschal

Posted Image

#7 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (TabbyCat @ Jun 5 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love those things.

We always do ham and cheese English muffins - just wrap in foil and heat until the cheese is melted.

#8 Papi

Papi

Smart Ass

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

http://www.campfirec...RecipePage.html

All about cooking over an open fire. biggrin.gif

#9 leslie71

leslie71

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (mrsbhavn @ Jun 5 2007, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried this before? Is the dry ice expensive? We're going camping this weekend too and I'd like to try it out.

Of course I have!

We went to Bonnaroo for 3 days a couple of summers ago...we still had ice cubes on the 3rd day and it had been hot as hell!

I think the dry ice is about $6 or so per package.

#10 jenn-g mom2threeboys

jenn-g mom2threeboys

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

Just an old tried and true dessert: SMORES wink.gif

#11 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

Regarding cooking over the campfire - remember, right now you can't, but any of these recipes would work on a grill. And hope you have fun!

#12 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

Chicken in a Can

1 whole chicken, seasoned however you like
1 large can, such as a large coffee can

15 charcoal briquettes

Punch holes around the can 1" from the bottom (approx. 1" apart). Next, place the charcoal in the can and light.

Allow the charcoal to ash over, then place the chicken (completely wrapped in foil and seasoned) in the can with legs up. It's okay if the legs stick out a little.

Let cook for 3 hours, no turning or tending to is necessary). After cooking, unwrap the chicken and it will fall off the bone.

Traditional Foil Dinner: Place thin hamburger patty in center of foil. Add thinly sliced carrots, potato cubes, and rings of onion, salt and pepper to taste, wrap. Sprinkle with grated cheese just before serving. (You can make these at home in their little foil packets and cook them at your campsite!)

Edited by TabbyCat, 05 June 2007 - 10:09 AM.

#13 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

Dry ice is the way to go. A good Coleman 5 day cooler helps too. We always have ice leftover after 3 days of camping at the lake.

Cooking at a campground is easy. Fried biscuits is one of my families favorites for breakfast. Yummy!

Jonesy, if'n you need anything like laterns, burners, cooking stove, etc. let me know. wub.gif
If I throw a stick will you leave??.

Look, you half a$$ed, over opinionated, misinformed, semi-literate, insolent, inconsiderate, ungrateful jackasses, take your Christian baiting, Bush bashing, grammatically incorrect, misspelled, ill-punctuated questions and comments and find somewhere else to play!!!.

#14 missocd

missocd

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Tweetybird @ Jun 5 2007, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dry ice is the way to go. A good Coleman 5 day cooler helps too. We always have ice leftover after 3 days of camping at the lake.

Cooking at a campground is easy. Fried biscuits is one of my families favorites for breakfast. Yummy!
Jonesy, if'n you need anything like laterns, burners, cooking stove, etc. let me know. wub.gif

What are fried biscuits?

#15 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...this is yummy Jonesy, if you like onions. Sweet Vidalias are really good this way. And it smells soooooooooo good while you're cooking it. And again, you can prepare it at home and take it wrapped up in the foil to cook at your campsite.

Grilled Onion Blossom

1 large sweet onion
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
garlic salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

Peel the onion. Slice into 6 to 8 wedges, leaving the base of the onion intact.

Pull apart wedges slightly, and place butter, garlic salt and ground black pepper inside onion.

Wrap onion tightly with aluminum foil. Place on the preheated grill.

Cook 45 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and lightly browned.

Ya know what? I'm glad you made me think of this--I'm going to cook one of these tonight! tongue.gif

#16 Shamelle003

Shamelle003

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

well, this isn't really a recipe, but this was always a MUST when i used to go camping. i would always buy ravioli in a can, then put it in an aluminum pie pan, and heat over the camp fire. for some reason, campfire ravioli has always been one of my favorites blush.gif .

have fun this weekend! happy.gif
When life hands you lemons, squeeze it in someone's eye and haul a$$!! Posted Image

#17 leslie71

leslie71

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (missocd @ Jun 5 2007, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are fried biscuits?

biscuits that are fried.

dx3

#18 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Lesley @ Jun 5 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biscuits that are fried.

dx3

Exactly!

Look, you half a$$ed, over opinionated, misinformed, semi-literate, insolent, inconsiderate, ungrateful jackasses, take your Christian baiting, Bush bashing, grammatically incorrect, misspelled, ill-punctuated questions and comments and find somewhere else to play!!!.

#19 missocd

missocd

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Lesley @ Jun 5 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biscuits that are fried.

dx3

Duh you little smart a$$! glare.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tweetybird @ Jun 5 2007, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly!

It sounded to simple. Do you sprinkle them with something?

#20 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

Doesn't matter.

That's up to your own personal tastes.

They are good w/jelly or honey or butter or cinnamon & sugar.

Gettin the idea?

#21 missocd

missocd

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Tweetybird @ Jun 5 2007, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't matter.

That's up to your own personal tastes.

They are good w/jelly or honey or butter or cinnamon & sugar.
Gettin the idea?

Yea I'm I'm getting it. glare.gif

#22 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (missocd @ Jun 5 2007, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea I'm I'm getting it. glare.gif

Good; glad I could help. wink.gif

#23 Skooter92

Skooter92

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (TabbyCat @ Jun 5 2007, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chicken in a Can

1 whole chicken, seasoned however you like
1 large can, such as a large coffee can

15 charcoal briquettes

Punch holes around the can 1" from the bottom (approx. 1" apart). Next, place the charcoal in the can and light.

Allow the charcoal to ash over, then place the chicken (completely wrapped in foil and seasoned) in the can with legs up. It's okay if the legs stick out a little.

Let cook for 3 hours, no turning or tending to is necessary). After cooking, unwrap the chicken and it will fall off the bone.
Traditional Foil Dinner: Place thin hamburger patty in center of foil. Add thinly sliced carrots, potato cubes, and rings of onion, salt and pepper to taste, wrap. Sprinkle with grated cheese just before serving. (You can make these at home in their little foil packets and cook them at your campsite!)

I also add worcesteshire (sp) sauce to mine. yummy!
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

"They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody?"~Princess Diana~

#24 leslie71

leslie71

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:06 AM

fried biscuits are essentially donuts

#25 MAJKMom

MAJKMom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

LOVE These!!! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY...easy clean up and they taste great, just don't forget to take a sharpie to write everyone's names on their bag! Even my kids love them!

we also love doing baked potatoes in the fire, and cobblers with the coals! Pancakes and sausage are a must one morning for us. we like a big b'fast then snack all day and then a big dinner. Usually we are hiking or sightseeing too much to want to stop for a big lunch.
Food is so much better while camping!! :-) THere's always the tried and true hobo dinner too...Good luck and have fun. Oh and look at boyscout recipe pages online, they are usually the best for easy and clean up. look for the b'fast tortilla, makes for several, is easy and good!

Edited by MAJKMom, 05 June 2007 - 11:16 AM.

#26 beulah boy

beulah boy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

Campfire chicken... wub.gif

mix raw vegtables: baby carrots, sliced onions small potatoes or your choice.asparigus ect.
chicken breast on the bone..(better flavor)
season..(lawrys will do) a pat of butter and wrap in HEAVY foil..seal in the juices...
45- 60 mins depending on the size of the breast, on the grill I turn them once at 30 minitues
if doing in the coals go 55-75 min depending on fire size.
bb

#27 MAJKMom

MAJKMom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Lesley @ Jun 5 2007, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fried biscuits are essentially donuts

my Mom used to make these when I was growing up! can of biscuits, poke a hole, fry and shake in cinnamon and sugar..they serve them at Chinese buffets biggrin.gif quite yummy!! It was a big treat on a cold night as a kid.

#28 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (beulah boy @ Jun 5 2007, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Campfire chicken... wub.gif

mix raw vegtables: baby carrots, sliced onions small potatoes or your choice.asparigus ect.
chicken breast on the bone..(better flavor)
season..(lawrys will do) a pat of butter and wrap in HEAVY foil..seal in the juices...
45- 60 mins depending on the size of the breast, on the grill I turn them once at 30 minitues
if doing in the coals go 55-75 min depending on fire size.
bb

The chicken's breast or the cook's?

#29 AngelBug

AngelBug

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (MAJKMom @ Jun 5 2007, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my Mom used to make these when I was growing up! can of biscuits, poke a hole, fry and shake in cinnamon and sugar..they serve them at Chinese buffets biggrin.gif quite yummy!! It was a big treat on a cold night as a kid.

I'm guessing you deep-fry these...right?

#30 MizCue

MizCue

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

OK...Lets make this fun for the little ones...

1. Have a jungle breakfast. Tie fruit and individual ceral boxes in the trees around your campsite. Let your family hunt for their breakfast.

2. Go on a Dinosaur Egg Hunt. Paint a watermelon with non toxic, non-staining paint or permanent sharpie pens. Hide the egg, make-up a cute story about the egg..and send the mighty hunters on their way.

3. And...Porkchops are always entertaining! ph34r.gif

Have Fun!!!!
Paulding Humane Society

Toys for Homeless Pets
Help by donating your old socks, pillows, yarn, ribbon, fabric, and old tennis balls.....or by making some toys!

Make a Difference..One Furry Bundle at a Time! Become a Paulding Humane Society Volunteer!

Let your heart see what your eyes cannot!

Look before you leap......... a pet is for KEEPS!!!

Posted Image
Do the Right Thing! Spay or Neuter Your Best Friend!

#31 leslie71

leslie71

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (AngelBug @ Jun 5 2007, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm guessing you deep-fry these...right?

No. In about a half inch of oil in a frying pan....unless you have a camping deep fryer, of course.

#32 Luvs2Read

Luvs2Read

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:41 PM

How do you make these?

#33 leslie71

leslie71

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (Luvs2Read @ Jun 5 2007, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you make these?

Put all the ingredients in a baggie and boil 'em

smile.gif

(but make sure you use freezer bags instead of sandwich bags - the thicker bags hold up way better in hot water)

#34 MAJKMom

MAJKMom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Lesley @ Jun 5 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile.gif

(but make sure you use freezer bags instead of sandwich bags - the thicker bags hold up way better in hot water)

yeah and keep in mind that the egg expands. Also take as much air out of the bag as you can. We beat our eggs in a big bowl first then just spoon them in a bag and have all omelet fixings laid out for everyone to put it what they want. get the air out and seal it.then put them in a pot of boiling water for 15 min. We tested it at home a couple times before we did it to make sure we knew what we were doing, but there really isn't too much too it and they are really good. Just again don't forget a sharpie and write everyone's names on the baggies before they start fixing them. when the 15 min is up you just take them out of the pot (we travel with a big group of friends and do them in a turkey frier pot) and open the bag and plop it on your plate...the recipe we have says to 'slide' it on the plate and that grossed us out at first and we wouldn't try it. We SO should have, it's really good!

#35 Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

GREAT TOPIC!!

I wish I could contribute, but I'm learning as well. We just bought a pop-up and are learning the ropes to camping. All we've done is sandwiches, hamburgers, eggs and bacon.

KEEP THE IDEAS COMING, I'M MAKING A LIST-

biggrin.gif

#36 ABC Alarm

ABC Alarm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

Camping is one of our favorite family activities!!! It is a tradition that we MUST have chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. You can get the pancake mix in the bottle that you just add water, shake and pour. Then you can add broken up leftover chocolate bars from the smores to the pancakes. The kids love these in the morning. But make sure you buy enough chocolate bars for both smores and pancakes!!!!
Spoiler

#37 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Luvs2Read @ Jun 5 2007, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you make these?

I've got the recipe printed out somewhere, but I don't feel like looking for it right now, if I can even find it LOL. But here is an article concerning it. My recipe calls for a quart size freezer bag, and calls for letting it boil for 13 minutes - make sure your water is boiling before you drop it in. This article calls for 15 minutes, and that's more to my husband's liking, as he likes his eggs practically cremated. Here you go, they're great!

http://www.washingto...-2004Aug17.html

#38 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

Well, it's really a bit easier if you just break the eggs directly into the bag. Then you zip it up and you smash 'em up really good, like you would with a spoon and a bowl. Then you throw whatever you might want in the baggie--onion, bell pepper, mushroom, cooked bacon, ham, or sausage, and about 1/4 cup of cheese. Reseal the baggie and drop into a pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes. Unzip the ziplock and roll your "omelet" onto your plate, or put into a pita if you want an omelet sandwich. Super-easy, and really good!

My younger son still makes these occasionally at home!

Just be sure, as was already mentioned, to mark each person's baggie with their names, and use heavy freezer ziplocks. Kids find this fun to do!

ETA: Didn't see you'd posted a link--thanks!

Edited by TabbyCat, 05 June 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#39 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Lesley @ Jun 5 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile.gif

OKAY...explain this to me. You can boil stuff in a freezer bag and it won't melt?
I never knew that.

#40 MizCue

MizCue

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,689 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

If you want dinner when you arrive, you can always strap a aluminum foil wrapped fillet onto your exhaust pipe. It will be cooked by the time you get there!
Paulding Humane Society

Toys for Homeless Pets
Help by donating your old socks, pillows, yarn, ribbon, fabric, and old tennis balls.....or by making some toys!

Make a Difference..One Furry Bundle at a Time! Become a Paulding Humane Society Volunteer!

Let your heart see what your eyes cannot!

Look before you leap......... a pet is for KEEPS!!!

Posted Image
Do the Right Thing! Spay or Neuter Your Best Friend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics