Paulding.com

WOW! I know this area. We used to live there. I find this completely absurd! What kind of parent would make a small child walk down such a busy and dangerous road? It really makes me wonder whats going on in the child's home. IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, I think this was child abuse. There are tons of ways to get a point over to a child without putting them in any kind of danger. Heck, I can think of several off the top of my head. I'm glad the child is safe and hopefully, the adult will get what they deserve! :angry: It saddens me to know children are treated this way.

I have three boys and yes, they have missed the bus very few times. We punished them by taking things away or giving them a couple of extra chores for a week. It got the point across, and they were never in any kind of danger. Heck, make the kid write sentences. Anything other then putting him in danger.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so did the scanner happen to say if the parent or who ever was doing this was ticketed are taken to jail?

I just wondered what happend after the child got to school...

The officer at my high school was the one to bring the child to Poole elementary. He stated the mom was not arrested.

IF it was about teaching a lesson (If you miss the bus again, you’ll walk to school) she should have done just that, walked the kid to school. She could have taken a cab home, and still not have made an idle threat. I applaud parents who carry out conditions, I abhor parents who are stupid.

The child was kicked off the bus. The mother was punishing him by making him walk to school. The bus driver(of the bus he was kicked off) saw him and tried to make him get on the bus. The mother got on and told the driver about the punishment. I would not be surprised if it was the driver that made the call to report it.

My child rides the bus and witnessed all of this. She thinks he is in 3rd grade but for sure.

If the car was the one I seen(for some reason I did not see the child) it was hindering traffic. We had to go into the other lane to get around her car.

I would NEVER make my child walk down any road much less a busy one like Goldmine. The speed limit is 45 until maybe 1/4 mile or so from where he was walking then it increases to 55. I know these are what ifs...but did the mom ever think ...what if he trips and falls into the street?, or what if someone accidently loses control of their automobile and hits him?

I could think of many other ways to prove to him what a privilege it is to be able to ride the bus and getting kicked off was very irresponsible.Believe me I know kids take alot of things for granted these days.

I think the whole situation is nuts!!!

The child was kicked off the bus. The mother was punishing him by making him walk to school. The bus driver(of the bus he was kicked off) saw him and tried to make him get on the bus. The mother got on and told the driver about the punishment. I would not be surprised if it was the driver that made the call to report it.

My child rides the bus and witnessed all of this. She thinks he is in 3rd grade but for sure.

If the car was the one I seen(for some reason I did not see the child) it was hindering traffic. We had to go into the other lane to get around her car.

I would NEVER make my child walk down any road much less a busy one like Goldmine. The speed limit is 45 until maybe 1/4 mile or so from where he was walking then it increases to 55. I know these are what ifs...but did the mom ever think ...what if he trips and falls into the street?, or what if someone accidently loses control of their automobile and hits him?

I could think of many other ways to prove to him what a privilege it is to be able to ride the bus and getting kicked off was very irresponsible.Believe me I know kids take alot of things for granted these days.

I think the whole situation is nuts!!!

If my kid mis-behaves so much that he gets KICKED OFF THE BUS - then heck yes he's walking to school. I may be walking with him, but if he did something so horrendous that he got kicked off the bus, he better learn to follow rules and live with the consequences of his actions. Would I follow in a car? No I'd walk with him and he'd be hearing me gripe the entire way. This is why the country is the way it is, too many people sticking their nose where it doesn't belong! This is why todays kids don't "fear" the punishment, they know some on will come along and stop their parents. And even label it child abuse. And believe me had my daddy made me walk to school and the police got involved, OMG I'd so not want to go home that afternoon!!! (heck our bus stop was across four lanes of hwy, during rush our traffic heading from the base - it wasn't safe but it was what the county made us do).

If my kid mis-behaves so much that he gets KICKED OFF THE BUS - then heck yes he's walking to school. I may be walking with him, but if he did something so horrendous that he got kicked off the bus, he better learn to follow rules and live with the consequences of his actions. Would I follow in a car? No I'd walk with him and he'd be hearing me gripe the entire way. This is why the country is the way it is, too many people sticking their nose where it doesn't belong! This is why todays kids don't "fear" the punishment, they know some on will come along and stop their parents. And even label it child abuse. And believe me had my daddy made me walk to school and the police got involved, OMG I'd so not want to go home that afternoon!!! (heck our bus stop was across four lanes of hwy, during rush our traffic heading from the base - it wasn't safe but it was what the county made us do).

Was it up hill both ways in 6 ft of snow as well... :blink:

Exactly!!! He wouldn't be walking ALONE with me following in a car

Exactly!!! He wouldn't be walking ALONE with me following in a car

So, most will agree that the intentions were RIGHT (following through on punishment due to the kids MAJOR screw up); but Mom's judgement may have been a little off. VERY BAD judgement error. BUT, to accuse her of possible child abuse and threaten DFACS is wrong based on one event. As a matter of fact, I am looking at it that she's a "good mom" with "poor judgement" (probably while angry and NOT THINKING clearly) for punishing her child instead of letting him get away with it. She could have been "it's not my precious boys fault that he got kicked off"...worse yet, she could have let him walk to school alone (not following him).

That's my 2 cents, and I am sticking to it.

So, most will agree that the intentions were RIGHT (following through on punishment due to the kids MAJOR screw up); but Mom's judgement may have been a little off. VERY BAD judgement error. BUT, to accuse her of possible child abuse and threaten DFACS is wrong based on one event. As a matter of fact, I am looking at it that she's a "good mom" with "poor judgement" (probably while angry and NOT THINKING clearly) for punishing her child instead of letting him get away with it. She could have been "it's not my precious boys fault that he got kicked off"...worse yet, she could have let him walk to school alone (not following him).

Yes, you are probably right. However, she was putting many lives in danger by driving too slow along that busy highway. That alone could have caused a serious accident. Poor judgement for sure. There are better ways of punishing the child.

I can't imagine what type of behavior would get a child kicked off the bus??

My son said he's in third grade, also.

She was in a white car with her hazards on. When I saw her, she was majorly screwing the flow of traffic up. People were having to go around her. At that time, I didn't even realize she had anything to do with the boy... I thought she was having car trouble. When the boy was walking the straight of way well before the head start, she was sitting IN the lane just past the other side of the school. That's why I said earlier that there were times when she couldn't even see her son. Not that it would have been much better, but this was not a case of her following close behind her son to make his walk a 'safer' walk.

-------------------------

So, if he got kicked off the bus, it's obvious he was not obeying the rules or respecting authority. What kind of message is Mom sending when she directly ignored the officer's order to put him back in the car. It was stated earlier that the officer had done this, but after he went on his way, she made him get back out. Then later, she refused to let him back in the car, so the officer took him to school. She just showed him with her own actions, that it's okay to disobey the rules and authority. Sounds like a cycle to me.

Once again - I'm saying we don't know all the facts surrounding what happened....BUT don't you think someone needs to look into this matter that was unsafe for her son and others? I trust the police officer's judgement if he/she felt DFCS needed to be called for an investigation (we have no idea if DFCS was called in)....if there's isn't a problem, Paulding DFCS would NOT open a case or intervene, DFCS doesn't want to be invovled in anyone's family unless it's needed for the safety of a child as required by state and federal laws...and community standards.

From working in the field (5 yrs D.A.'s office Victim Witness Programs, 11 years CASA, 8 + years volunteer with Council on Child Abuse) there is often a "tip of the iceberg" situation with child abuse or neglect issues. When law enforcement and/or DFCS checks into a report - and it is seems to be a "good mom" (or dad) that made a mistake or the facts don't warrant it - DFCS (and/or law enforcement) GET OUT of it....they got plenty of work to do and are trained to tell the difference in something minor or something major that needs their limited resources and time.

I just can't believe that some seem to think no one should look into this matter for the sake of the child...if he got kicked off the school bus...there's another indicator that there MAY BE a problem (of course, not necessarily the mom's fault - although if MY kid was kicked off a school bus...I would have considered it MY fault that I had NOT taught them how to behave at school or on the bus).

Agree that many would be looking at this different if it had been a dog...but don't care that it was an elem. age child.

So, if he got kicked off the bus, it's obvious he was not obeying the rules or respecting authority. What kind of message is Mom sending when she directly ignored the officer's order to put him back in the car. It was stated earlier that the officer had done this, but after he went on his way, she made him get back out. Then later, she refused to let him back in the car, so the officer took him to school. She just showed him with her own actions, that it's okay to disobey the rules and authority. Sounds like a cycle to me.

Do we KNOW that she was not obeying the officer? Not a "someone said". It seems to me that the officer would/could have arrested her for not following instructions (or given a citation). IF the mom did what is stated above, then yes, I think DFACS should be involved (and, I think the officer would have obligation to do it then). However, I can't picture a officer taking a child in danger, droping him/her off at school (basically releasing the child to the parent) and not doing anything about the situation at that time.

I think none of us know the whole story and are judging making assumptions. Thus no one can agree. If we knew the WHOLE TRUTH, then we could make a educated, proper "argument".

I just can't believe that some seem to think no one should look into this matter for the sake of the child...if he got kicked off the school bus...there's another indicator that there MAY BE a problem (of course, not necessarily the mom's fault - although if MY kid was kicked off a school bus...I would have considered it MY fault that I had NOT taught them how to behave at school or on the bus).

Agree that many would be looking at this different if it had been a dog...but don't care that it was an elem. age child.

All I can say to this is I used to feel the same way. I have learned differntly though, through experience. Sometimes, a parent can only do so much. Sometimes whoppins, time-outs, talkin-to's, explainin and whatever else don't work with a child. My child had a 25 minute ride home last year and got warned several times to stay seated, be quite, etc. She couldn't do it...no matter how much we took away, talked and explained...the school talked and explained and the counselers talked and explained. This is NOT the norm for kids, BUT, may, just maybe this is a child like we "deal" with. A child with "problems". And, before anyone says it's my parenting, I have 3 very well behaved child, and then the one totally opposite...so, it isn't our parentings :rolleyes:

All I can say to this is I used to feel the same way. I have learned differntly though, through experience. Sometimes, a parent can only do so much. Sometimes whoppins, time-outs, talkin-to's, explainin and whatever else don't work with a child. My child had a 25 minute ride home last year and got warned several times to stay seated, be quite, etc. She couldn't do it...no matter how much we took away, talked and explained...the school talked and explained and the counselers talked and explained. This is NOT the norm for kids, BUT, may, just maybe this is a child like we "deal" with. A child with "problems". And, before anyone says it's my parenting, I have 3 very well behaved child, and then the one totally opposite...so, it isn't our parentings :rolleyes:

Are you so sure :p J/K

....You DID the approriate thing...worked with the school, the counselors, bus driver, etc. to try to work the problem out (this is not to say the other mother has not tried as well and just ended up make a 'bad mistake' out of frustation). The difference was you didn't put you child in an unsafe situation.

Are you so sure :p J/K

....You DID the approriate thing...worked with the school, the counselors, bus driver, etc. to try to work the problem out (this is not to say the other mother has not tried as well and just ended up make a 'bad mistake' out of frustation). The difference was you didn't put you child in an unsafe situation.

Yes, and to be honest, when I first read it I didn't (and still don't) think she did anything wrong. NOW, with that said, I don't know the area. If it is as busy as everyone says, then yeah, I think she was wrong in exposing him to that type of traffic... she should have walked with him or perhaps made him spend the day walking the neighborhood (since he could "get" to school)...of course, that would have been an unexcused absence and I'm sure if someone found out he wasn't in school due to walking his neighboorhood, they probably would call school or DFACS anyway :wacko: :ph34r: .

Bottom line, if she was in the wrong (interrupting a BUSY road and putting the child and others in danger) then the cop was good. If the cop truley felt there was a problem (and may have spoke with the child on the way to school) I'm sure he would call DFACS or take the child there (I'm not sure how it works).

I just don't think she was thinking clearly (as many of us don't when we get that mad) about the full consequences of what COULD happen. I don't think she meant for an outcome like this. I think she meant to teach the boy a lesson, showed "good faith" by watching out for him (by driving w/ hazards "warning" other vehicles) and not just leaving him to walk by himself. This is being state just on the FACT that she allowed him to walk to school...not that she was laughing, not that she was not "agreeable" wiht the cop, etc. I'm sure that looking back, (or reading this) that she realizes how wrong she was. Sad, but true.

:rolleyes:

What an odd punishment. If my child was misbehaving and got kicked off the school bus, I would hope that I could come up with a better, more safe punishment. If mom was too damn lazy to walk with her child, she shouldn't have made him do it. I cannot tell you how many times I've encountered a driver on Holly Springs and Gold Mine driving on the wrong side of the road. Just yesterday I was almost run off of Holly Springs by another driver. People go way too fast (especially on Holly Springs) and there are too many curves in the road for a child to be walking it. We can all say that people sticking their noses in someone's business is the reason children are out of control, but I think LAZY parents are the culprit. It takes too much to do it the right way, so lets do it the easy way. IF she was determined to make that kid walk to school, she should have gotten her lazy a$$ out of the car and walked with him. She still has a duty to protect him, even while she is disciplining him.

Do we KNOW that she was not obeying the officer? Not a "someone said". It seems to me that the officer would/could have arrested her for not following instructions (or given a citation). IF the mom did what is stated above, then yes, I think DFACS should be involved (and, I think the officer would have obligation to do it then). However, I can't picture a officer taking a child in danger, droping him/her off at school (basically releasing the child to the parent) and not doing anything about the situation at that time.

I think none of us know the whole story and are judging making assumptions. Thus no one can agree. If we knew the WHOLE TRUTH, then we could make a educated, proper "argument".

We DO KNOW that she was not obeying the Officer. Scan Paulding archives for 4/13, time blocks 7:26-7:41, 7:41-7:56 & 7:56-8:12

Here's how it went...

After the call came in, an Officer clearly states that 10 minutes prior, he had told the Mom to put the kid back in the car and take him to school. When he was leaving, the kid was getting into the car. Obviously she made him get back out of the car again, if he was walking down the road again. This Officer also stated that she was creating a hazard. The dispatcher said that this child was seen crossing Goldmine Rd alone. Also, at one point, the Officer said that he was transporting the child to Mom's location. This shows that she was far enough from the child, that the Officer had to take the boy to her. Officer 187 then took the child to Poole Elementary.

There... that's not "He said, she said"... that's what was said by the Officers and Dispatcher over the scanner.

We DO KNOW that she was not obeying the Officer. Scan Paulding archives for 4/13, time blocks 7:26-7:41, 7:41-7:56 & 7:56-8:12

Here's how it went...

After the call came in, an Officer clearly states that 10 minutes prior, he had told the Mom to put the kid back in the car and take him to school. When he was leaving, the kid was getting into the car. Obviously she made him get back out of the car again, if he was walking down the road again. This Officer also stated that she was creating a hazard. The dispatcher said that this child was seen crossing Goldmine Rd alone. Also, at one point, the Officer said that he was transporting the child to Mom's location. This shows that she was far enough from the child, that the Officer had to take the boy to her. Officer 187 then took the child to Poole Elementary.

There... that's not "He said, she said"... that's what was said by the Officers and Dispatcher over the scanner.

I think someone needs to loose a little ATTITUDE :closedeyes: . I don't recall seening that posted anywhere on here.

I think someone needs to loose a little ATTITUDE :closedeyes: . I don't recall seening that posted anywhere on here.

I don't see how I came across as having an attitude. All I did was show you where to find the proof of what I had stated earlier. And yes, these things were also stated earlier by jmd.

Got the juvenile is transporting to mom's location.

another officer put in that he told the mom earlier to put the child back in the car and she was doing so at the time.

So true that is what it seems like.....Child was transported now by officer to Poole Elementary.

Also heard one officer 10-95 one female to jail. Not sure if this is the same one though.

I just read this. All I can think is, "Why didn't just ONE of those people who drove past this situation stop and help that kid if they were so worried about him?".

I also wonder how poorly behaved a 3rd grader has to be to get kicked off the bus. This whole incident is pretty sad. Apparently the parents are trying to discipline him, but maybe they don't know the correct way to do it. If the behavior problem is a disability and he receives services for it he needs to ride the ESEP bus. If he doesn't have a behavioral/emotional disability maybe it's time the parents got a professional involved, Just not the government.

Kids are having behavior problems younger and younger these days. Who's to blame?

I just read this. All I can think is, "Why didn't just ONE of those people who drove past this situation stop and help that kid if they were so worried about him?".

I also wonder how poorly behaved a 3rd grader has to be to get kicked off the bus. This whole incident is pretty sad. Apparently the parents are trying to discipline him, but maybe they don't know the correct way to do it. If the behavior problem is a disability and he receives services for it he needs to ride the ESEP bus. If he doesn't have a behavioral/emotional disability maybe it's time the parents got a professional involved, Just not the government.

Kids are having behavior problems younger and younger these days. Who's to blame?

I don't think that it would have been a very good idea to stop and try to help this child in this situation. I think most people who passed by realized that the parent/guardian was within some distance to the child and what was basically going on( no matter how crazy).

I think if anyone had been good hearted enough to try to stop and help, the parent/guardian may have had a few choice words for the good samaritan.

I read on one of the earlier post that a bus driver stoped to help and the parent/guardian said "No".

I hope everything works out for this child by the morning. Maybe things were worked out concerning the bus issues.

People did try to help. I was waiting for the bus with my kids and asked the boy to wait for the bus with us. As he pointed ahead, he replied "I can't." Bus 72 also stopped and tried to get the boy on the bus and he refused, then the driver got on her radio and I assumed she was requesting a call to the SO. In addition, I saw another car stop and talk to the boy. They couldn't just force the child into their car... or onto a bus... and I couldn't physically restrain him and make him wait for the bus with us.

He did get the help he needed when the SO arrived.

I just have one question......What gives any parent the right to put their child in obvious danger??Is it worth it??If that child was to have been hit by a car then this story would have been a whole new ball of wax...It should have ended at the end of Sunset Mountain and Holly Springs,Once the parent passed onto Holly Springs it was too dangerous.I saw this child walking inside of the Southern Trace sub around 6:20 am.Thought it was car trouble till I saw a child walking.I never dreamed whoever would make the child walk all the way to Poole.A 15 min drive and maybe an hr or so walk.Oh, and a lesson is being learned????Give me a break that child had to be so scared that the last thing on his mind was chee wiz now what was it I did to deserve this???As cars pass flying down Holly Springs,Goldmine,and 278..I wouldnt even walk down these roads their so dangerous.Its bad enough being in a car muchless walking,much less a child walking....People should be outraged by this....It aint big brother govt stepping in hell the kid was probably traumatized....teaching a lesson GREAT,putting a child in danger...Uhhh Hello....dont get it :blink: Anyone with updates please let us know..

My husband was driving down Goldmine at 8:00 in the morning on a Monday morning and then spent a month in the hospital due to a bad wreck. Goldmine is a very dangerous road and until you realize how many people come around that curve that merges from 3 lanes into 2 you don't realize it. Take a look at all of the skid marks in that area. This guy was going "in excess" of 80 miles per hour. That is scary.

I fight w/ my daughter (who attends Poole also) about being ready on time, but for each time she misses the bus thats an hour earlier bedtime that night. It works well. Having an early bedtime w/ no tv is great punishment for that age.

I hate to think of that little boy on Goldmine in that dangerous area.

Well, from what I'm reading and interpreting from this, in my opinion the mother took this punishment a little far.

This would indeed be a safety issue, and I can tell that the folks that seem to be ok with this are not familiar with this area.

I am, I drive it everyday, and I would not walk along Holly Springs or Goldmine, especially not first thing in the morning. <_<

It's a 55mph speed limit and there are blind curves throughout. :unsure:

I'm all about teaching kids a lesson, but not at the expense of their safety, it's irresponsible parenting.

My daughter had a little bus issue last year in High School. We called her a cab to pick her up from school and she paid the fare. Needless to say she was embaressed but the teachers who got to witness this had a good time. Haven't had a problem since then.

I have spent the last 20-30 minutes reading all of the info on this post and am horrified. Regardless of what the parent's intentions were...this child was in danger. I am a firm believer in the right to punish our own children but not at the expense of the child's emotional or physical well-being. I can't comprehend what a child could do that is sooo bad at his age to warrant this treatment.. and if he did do something that detrimental to another human being...then seriously let's look at the parents. Because children learn what they live. I am saddened that so many people are fascinated with this behavior. Instead of sticking up for this parent..we should be holding her/him accountable for her/his actions.