Paulding.com

and at what point did someone verify that it was the MOTHER of this child sitting in her car??

how do we know it wasn't an aunt, a neighbor, etc.... ???

I believe you were the one to say who are "they" to decide how we discipline our children. So in that statement you yourself implyed it was the mother.....Whatever!!!

I can't believe ANYONE would defend someone letting a 6yr old walk down a road....justs boggles my mind. Yeah that "not so shining moment as a mother(or whoever she was)" could have cost the child HIS life!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it wasn't her shining moment as Mother of The Year, but I bet you a buck whatever that kid did to deserve to get to walk to school this morning will stick with him for quite some time.

Yeah, child abuse and neglect has a way of sticking with a kid - I get to see it every day. This was unsafe and there is parenting problems if is what a "parent" feels they must do to displine their child. DFCS and Law Enforcement DOES NOT want to interfer with ANYONE's family - but they MUST to protect children in unsafe situations as CHILDREN can not protect theirselves - we must do it as a communtiy.

Happy Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month everyone

Yeah, child abuse and neglect has a way of sticking with a kid - I get to see it every day. This was unsafe and there is parenting problems if is what a "parent" feels they must do to displine their child. DFCS and Law Enforcement DOES NOT want to interfer with ANYONE's family - but they MUST to protect children in unsafe situations as CHILDREN can not protect theirselves - we must do it as a communtiy.

Oh thank God a voice of reason and with the knowledge and experience with dealing with stupid ass parents....

I believe you were the one to say who are "they" to decide how we discipline our children. So in that statement you yourself implyed it was the mother.....Whatever!!!

I can't believe ANYONE would defend someone letting a 6yr old walk down a road....justs boggles my mind. Yeah that "not so shining moment as a mother(or whoever she was)" could have cost the child HIS life!!!

you are right leogirl - I did it too, everyone did - we all 'ASSumed' that we knew what was really going on, but the reality of it is that none of us do -

by 'they' I was referring to 'big brother government man' :)

and isn't this just proof in the pudding? NOW it's child abuse??

NOW we're going to ASSume that the kid is 'abused' ??

geez - <_<

you are right leogirl - I did it too, everyone did - we all 'ASSumed' that we knew what was really going on, but the reality of it is that none of us do -

geez - <_<

Well I guess if it was a dog or cat you would feel differently!!! :angry2: :angry2:

Well I guess if it was a dog or cat you would feel differently!!! :angry2: :angry2:

WTF is your problem????

are you trying to make it personal??

and I quarenfreakingtee each of you that IF this happened to be one of those troubled youths that threatened to blow up his school/church/neighborhood - we would be having a totally different conversation now wouldn't we?!

remember = age is irrelevant <_<

ohhhh yeah -- cause that just makes everything sooooo much better <_< <_<

Considering what the child went through and there is no telling what he may deal with at home it could be for the best.

Yes, there are troubled kids out there. But just let me give you my opinion on that one. Back when I was growing up mothers were home with their kids. Now both parents work to only have children come home by theirselves, get into whatever and MOST parents either don't care or are too tired to even worry about their kids. Some parents don't even know where their kids are half the time. Its a just get out of my hair situation. I live in a subdivision and around lots of kids which most are home by themselves. Its all about we have to have more so the kids suffer in the end. There is a kid that lives across from me that his mother never knows where he is. He just wanders the neighborhood. We have children to raise them not for them to raise themselves. I don't feel as though any 6 year old could do anything bad enough to walk that far for punishment. So, bring it on cause I know I am going to get blasted for this one. But it seems as though someone will put up more of an argument about an animal though than a child! If this was a dog walking the road would you be more concerned?

Please tell me how I made it personal....I hear people all day long talking about responsible pets owners yet we will defend an idiot for letting a 6 yr old walk down a road.....

Let me put it this way.....how would Animal Control feel if it was a dog not on a leash with the owner following waaaaay behind...would they stop and issue a citiation???

by 'they' I was referring to 'big brother government man' :)

geez - <_<

Any person with common sense would know that this was UNSAFE. I don't know all the facts....but I thank God that someone cared enough to call the police and let them gather the facts to protect a young child.

So now this is abuse or neglect?

:blink:

you people have no idea what that kid did before being put into that situation...and while it might not have been the best choice on the part of the mother, to automatically equate it with child abuse is absolutely asinine

I NEVER said it was child abuse, I said it was stupid. And one has to wonder if they will put a child at risk like that in public what will they do behind closed doors.

I am NOT asinine <_<

Any person with common sense would know that this was UNSAFE. I don't know all the facts....but I thank God that someone cared enough to call the police and let them gather the facts to protect a young child.

Apparently there are alot of ppl who lack common sense

I NEVER said it was child abuse, I said it was stupid. And one has to wonder if they will put a child at risk like that in public what will they do behind closed doors.

I am NOT asinine <_<

Apparently there are alot of ppl you lack common sense

did I say YOU were asinine?

first of all, not ONE of us KNOWS the age of this child - it was an ASSumption that he was between the ages of 6-9

secondly, not ONE of us KNOWS if this was his 'mother' that allowed him to walk along the side of the road.

third, not ONE of us KNOWS wth the whole story is -

to answer the question by leo - there is a leash law in paulding county - thus, if the dog is off of his 'property' he would need to be restrained by a 'leash' - a 'leash' can be defined by a belt, hay bale twine, etc...

no, animal control would probably NOT issue a citation, they would give a warning -

thanks for asking :)

Please tell me how I made it personal....I hear people all day long talking about responsible pets owners yet we will defend an idiot for letting a 6 yr old walk down a road.....

Let me put it this way.....how would Animal Control feel if it was a dog not on a leash with the owner following waaaaay behind...would they stop and issue a citiation???

3 CHEERS TO YOU!!! My sentiments exactly!!!

you people have no idea what that kid did before being put into that situation...and while it might not have been the best choice on the part of the mother, to automatically equate it with child abuse is absolutely asinine

L, what do you call putting a child in an unsafe situation? As I said - I dont' know everythink that was going on - but based what has been posted it's sounds like the child was in danger.

If this is what the parent had to do to teach the kid a lesson - there is a problem.

I agree, it was UNSAFE -

I have no warm fuzzie feelings for DFACS or the ass backwards system in which they work - but again, that's a completly different thread :)

Nope!! But whenever something happens with a child being hurt or injured...drowning or what not that comes over the scanner you are one of the first one's to say ....."Where was the mother?"

Yeah..and this kid's mother (if that's who the woman in the car was) was right there.

L, what do you call putting a child in an unsafe situation? As I said - I dont' know everythink that was going on - but based what has been posted it's sounds like the child was in danger.

If this is what the parent had to do to teach the kid a lesson - there is a problem.

Poor judgment....lack of effective parenting skils, maybe. But abuse? Not necessarily.

3 CHEERS TO YOU!!! My sentiments exactly!!!

oh - so you agree with this line of thought?

do you know how old this child is?

do you know the specifics of this situation?

just curious :)

Poor judgment....lack of effective parenting skils, maybe. But abuse? Not necessarily.

exactly.

I'm wondering, If the child had been hit by a car/truck and killed what would everyone be saying about the parent/guardian now. I doubt if one person would say "there is no telling what he did to deserve walking behind the car/truck this morning, must not have been behaving, or he must have missed the bus, gotta teach him a lesson."

Reguardless of the circumstance in which he was made to walk behind, if he had been killed, this parent/guardian would likely be facing some type of neglect/abuse/murder charges.

Really Sad :angry:

Yeah..and this kid's mother (if that's who the woman in the car was) was right there.

I agree - it's up to someone (law enforecement/DFCS) to check into this and make an eval. if it's child abuse or neglect....but I think everyone can agree...it's unsafe.

In general, putting a child in an unsafe situation would be consider neglectful and/or abusive. I'm not saying the child needs to removed or a DFCS case open, etc....but Houston...we got a problem.

I'm NOT defending the idea of sending your kid off to walk down a BUSY road - when this thread started, those of us that do not live in that area had no idea what type of road it was - the whole freakin topic has been twisted and morphed for the sake of arguement - and now the poor kid has an 'abusive' childhood!?!

geez -

the point I'm trying to make is that NOT ONE OF US knows what happened this morning - people are only assuming they know -

I'm wondering, If the child had been hit by a car/truck and killed what would everyone be saying about the parent/guardian now. I doubt if one person would say "there is no telling what he did to deserve walking behind the car/truck this morning, must not have been behaving, or he must have missed the bus, gotta teach him a lesson."

Reguardless of the circumstance in which he was made to walk behind, if he had been killed, this parent/guardian would likely be facing some type of neglect/abuse/murder charges.

Really Sad :angry:

okay, I get what you are saying - really, I do - and I don't disagree, but let me ask you - IF your 8 or 9 year old were to throw garbage out of the window of the car, would you stop and make him/her pick it up?

I am not familiar with this road. At that time of the morning wasn't the parent driving slow with flashers on affecting the morning commute? Could that also have further endangered the child because of the traffic, if that was the case? Just wondering. It's hard to make a determination if you don't know all the facts.

I'm NOT defending the idea of sending your kid off to walk down a BUSY road - when this thread started, those of us that do not live in that area had no idea what type of road it was - the whole freakin topic has been twisted and morphed for the sake of arguement - and now the poor kid has an 'abusive' childhood!?!

geez -

the point I'm trying to make is that NOT ONE OF US knows what happened this morning - people are only assuming they know -

okay, I get what you are saying - really, I do - and I don't disagree, but let me ask you - IF your 8 or 9 year old were to throw garbage out of the window of the car, would you stop and make him/her pick it up?

I don't understand. What does throwing garbage out of a car window and choosing to pick it up or not pick it up, have to do with this topic? :blink:

All I am saying is that I would not let my child walk down a busy road to teach him/her I lesson. I would find another way to get the point across without putting their life in danger......I do however question someone's judgement that would.

That being said...I am glad the child didn't get hurt and was taken safely to school :wub:

All I am saying is that I would not let my child walk down a busy road to teach him/her I lesson. I would find another way to get the point across without putting their life in danger......I do however question someone's judgement that would.

That being said...I am glad the child didn't get hurt and was taken safely to school :wub:

If it was a disciplinary measure, it is a new one to me, I must admit.

That is the only good thing that happend in this situation this morning. He made it to school alive. I am glad the parent/guardian didn't have to be a witness to a horrible accident/scene since she was kind enough to follow behind him. :ninja:

I don't understand. What does throwing garbage out of a car window and choosing to pick it up or not pick it up, have to do with this topic? :blink:

it's just an honest question - really - and it's for anyone willing to answer - I'm curious if our parenting skills are judged by elements that outsiders do not see/understand.

I will answer first: my son has thrown garbage from the car once and only once, I stopped the car and made him pick it up - difference being yes, I went with him - but the lesson taught will last him a lifetime (I hope) now, does that make me a bad parent? no - of course not, but if you had witnessed it as an outsider, you may have thought something different - because you didn't know the facts.

((I'm not directing this towards anyone specific, just 'you' in general))

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when this topic started, it didn't specify that he was walking on a 'busy' road, nor that he had to cross any 'busy' roads - only that he was walking on the side of the road following a parent's car -

for those of us that didn't witness this firsthand, it could give us each a completely different mental picture -

again, noone here knows the facts - I too am happy to know that he arrived to school safe and in one piece - and I hope that this isn't a habit for him (or the adult responsible)

I agree all children need to be taught right from wrong. There is nothing wrong with a parent/guardian correcting a child or trying to prove a point, making them see what is the right thing to do in certain situations.

These things need to be taught. I just feel there has to be that line drawn somewhere so that a parent/guardian doesn't go too far and possibly endanger the child. We teach our kids that when we do anything in life that there are consequenses to each action. Whether good or bad. We have to make them see what could happen when they choose either way.

That is why it bothers me that maybe this parent/guardian didn't stop to think what consequenses they may face with their actions.

I am just thankfull the the child made it to school safe.

well....i'm giving my 2 cents .... :p

My kids go to Poole so I'm VERY familiar with the area.....she "the female ADULT" was stoopid for making this kid walk in this area that far. I threatened my 7 year old this morning with having to walk to school....he missed the bus and caused his brother to miss the bus as well....now the difference here...He would have only walked to the top of our subdivision....not out on a MAIN roadway. and I would have made him walk on the sidewalk with me driving right next to him. I'll say this...and I'll probably get bashed for it..but once people pass Buchanon Hwy intersection on 278....its like freakin open season on with idiot drivers....I almost get ran over turning into my subdivision or out of it...people drive like maniacs out here because I guess they either assume the "law" isnt out this far or they really dont have brains.

I for one am glad the officer stopped and took the boy to school.....it doesnt take much to prove a point to a 6-9 year old...certainly NOT miles of walking on busy roads. Besides....I have a 12 yr old, a 9 yr old and a 7 yr old.....IT IS MY responsibility to make sure they are up in time and are dressed..now If I would have actually made him get dressed and seperated my kids this morning...they probably would have not missed the bus. Because we all know our children run our households, right? Especially the young ones.

I agree all children need to be taught right from wrong. There is nothing wrong with a parent/guardian correcting a child or trying to prove a point, making them see what is the right thing to do in certain situations.

These things need to be taught. I just feel there has to be that line drawn somewhere so that a parent/guardian doesn't go too far and possibly endanger the child. We teach our kids that when we do anything in life that there are consequenses to each action. Whether good or bad. We have to make them see what could happen when they choose either way.

That is why it bothers me that maybe this parent/guardian didn't stop to think what consequenses they may face with their actions.

I am just thankfull the the child made it to school safe.

I agree with this 100% - very well said.