Paulding.com

Braswell mayor/father indicted?

Last year, one of the Atlanta television stations was there trying to do a story on how they were running the town and possible mishandling of finances. They didn't want to have anything to do with that but I heard it was turned over to the GBI.

Braswell, GA Mayor Indicted on Credit Card Fraud

Article Source: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Paulding County grand jury indicted Richard Fennell on 12 counts, which include credit card transaction fraud and violation of oath of office, the GBI said Monday.

Fennell, 46, is the mayor of Braswell, which is divided between Paulding and Polk counties. In 2000, the town had 80 residents, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Fennell is accused of using city credits for his personal use, Jerry L. Scott, GBI special agent in charge, told the AJC.

Once again people are mistaking a dedeption to optain a liqor licence for a bar, for a actual city. The whole charade of a city, was done over thirty years ago to to be able to open a bar in the county in order to make money.

They never did plan on it to be a real city, town or village. The new people who moved into the subdivion that was built there upset the whole applecart by demanding real city services from a fake one.

Was it to open a bar? I always heard they did it because the county was dry and a city could vote to sell alcohol, so they opened a convenience store to keep from having to drive all the way to Dallas to buy their beer. Maybe I heard wrong, but alcohol was the reason either way.

Once again people are mistaking a dedeption to optain a liqor licence for a bar, for a actual city. The whole charade of a city, was done over thirty years ago to to be able to open a bar in the county in order to make money.

They never did plan on it to be a real city, town or village. The new people who moved into the subdivion that was built there upset the whole applecart by demanding real city services from a fake one.

Either way, they are a city and collect city taxes from citizens. They should have never let the zoning go thru for the subdivision to be built if they didn't want to be held accountable to the residents. They should have left it "family only" up there.

Fennell can't have a avenue to make money thru sales of liquor and not be expected to provide services of a city. Braswell Mtn Road is terrible and they "don't have the money to pave it". They have a ridiculous amount of police(wannabe cops)and a trashy bar. I think the city should be dissolved.

I feel sorry for the innocent people of the City of Braswell. They didn't know what they were getting theirselves into when they bought a house there.

Where is Braswell? I've never heard of it.

Braswell is in the North West part of Paulding, it staddles the Polk-Paulding county line. To get to Braswell, you dcan go by driving west on Braswell mtn Road from Hwy61N, or you can go west on US Hwy 278 until just before the Plk couty line and turn on Bushy Mtn Road and travel that gravel road for several miles down the mtn untill you reach Brqswell Mtn road turn right and you are there, or you can go on US Hwy 278 i9nto Polk county down the mountain till you get to Coots Lake, turn right go past the silver cot trail, go past the railroad to the stop sign, go straight and foll it to

Braswell. Go to the bar [ the local "stap and slap em"] order yourself a drink and wonder why you were so dumb to come here.

Full Title: An Act to incorporate the town of Braswell, in the county of Paulding, to define the corporate limits of said town, to provide for the election of a mayor and aldermen for the government thereof, and for other purposes.

....SEC. III. Be it further enacted by the authority aforesaid, That the said mayor and aldermen of said town of Braswell shall have all the powers and privileges and authorities given in section 774 to 797( of the Code of Georgia, 1882, except as herein changed and modified and except that said mayor and aldermen shall have no power or authority to grant any license to sell spirituous, malt, vinous, or intoxicating liquors of any kind in said corporate limits.

Approval Date: Approved December 13, 1895

http://neptune3.galib.uga.edu/ssp/cgi-bin/legis-idx.pl?sessionid=7f000001&type=law&byte=76621418&lawcnt=10&filt=doc

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk

Was it to open a bar? I always heard they did it because the county was dry and a city could vote to sell alcohol, so they opened a convenience store to keep from having to drive all the way to Dallas to buy their beer. Maybe I heard wrong, but alcohol was the reason either way.

Rockmart had a package store to buy alcohol. People never had to drive to Dallas for beer. Maybe you are talking about so they could open the palace to serve alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...