29 replies to this topic

#1 jakem952

jakem952

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

I am looking to sign my son up for Pre K somewhere in Paulding County, but I am having a hard time finding a reputable school. Can anyone suggest a good Pre K program?

#2 HiramGirl

HiramGirl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Well, most of the more "reputable" schools have already filled their slots. Registration or getting on the wait lists started in January.

Where in Paulding are you looking? I know that Paulding Kids in New Georgia still has two or three slots open. I think the Sunshine House on 92 might still have some.

QUOTE (jakem952 @ Jul 8 2005, 01:42 PM)
I am looking to sign my son up for Pre K somewhere in Paulding County, but I am having a hard time finding a reputable school.  Can anyone suggest a good Pre K program?

#3 jakem952

jakem952

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:01 PM

It will be for the fall of 2006 and the location can be anywhere from Dallas to Kennesaw. I would prefer to have him go to somewhere close. I live in Oliver Place.

#4 HiramGirl

HiramGirl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

Oh, you have plenty of time then.

Is your son currently in daycare at a center? If so, that would make your life much easier because he would automatically be accepted into that center's Georgia Pre-K program. ARe you looking for the Georgia Pre-K or a private Pre-k?

The centers I like are West Georgia Children's Academy, Discovery Kids and Ivy Hall. My son will be attending Pre-K at West Georgia Children's Academy this fall.

That said, registration will start in January of 2006 where you will, most likely, be put on a wait list. Then, you would be notified in March or so if your child will have a spot.

My suggestion would go and check the centers out for yourself. You may get a good feeling at one and a horrible feeling at another.

QUOTE (jakem952 @ Jul 8 2005, 01:53 PM)
It will be for the fall of 2006 and the location can be anywhere from Dallas to Kennesaw.  I would prefer to have him go to somewhere close.  I live in Oliver Place.

#5 mkmomto3j

mkmomto3j

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:11 PM

My kids have always attending the PreK at Dallas 1st Baptist church, my two year old will be starting there in September.
It is only for 1/2 day from 9 am - 12 pm, so some are looking for PreK that is longer and goes 5 days a week.

#6 jakem952

jakem952

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:11 PM

No, during the Fall, Winter and Spring months, he is in a mothers morning out program for two days a week. A pre k program is offered at the church, but we are looking for another alternative.

A Georgia Pre-K, is this funded by the state?

What was your determining factor for choosing West Georgia Childrens Academy?

#7 trish

trish

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

There will be a brand new Pre-K program offered beginning in August at the new YWCA in Paulding County. You might want to call the Chamber to get details.

#8 HiramGirl

HiramGirl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

Georgia Pre-K is funded by the lottery and the spots are hard to come by in some centers.

I liked everything I saw at West Georgia. Extremely clean, very well organized, the director is wonderful. Everyone seemed to genuinely care about all the kids.

QUOTE (jakem952 @ Jul 8 2005, 02:03 PM)
No, during the Fall, Winter and Spring months, he is in a mothers morning out program for two days a week.  A pre k program is offered at the church, but we are looking for another alternative. 

A Georgia Pre-K, is this funded by the state?

What was your determining factor for choosing West Georgia Childrens Academy?

#9 Póg mo thóin

Póg mo thóin

author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,986 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

my girl is almost 2 should I go ahead and put her on a list for when she's 3? sounds like its a nightmare...
Is the Georgia Pre-k free or do you have to pay for it?
Im new at this, so please excuse me if I've accidently hijacked the topic.. lol

{/ new mom worries.}
“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.” St Catherine of Siena

#10 history101

history101

On the far side of Insanity

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,935 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

My child just graduated from Discovery Point here in New Hope....it was a good place! I would sign my other 2 up there when it's time (they're only 1, so it'll be awhile).

Just kids learning Center is good too, but that is on Hwy 120 in Evans Mill.

Good Luck!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 leslie71

leslie71

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,219 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:00 PM

check with West Georgia Children's Academy (in both Dallas and Hiram)

#12 Buninoven215

Buninoven215

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

Check out Paulding Childrens Academy. It is in Dallas behind little bear. It is a new place and seems really nice.

#13 Loves2Crop

Loves2Crop

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:17 AM

Chattahoochee Tech has an excellent pre-K program!

#14 putnam2030

putnam2030

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

My daughter will be going to Lost Mountain Academy on Macland Rd. for the GA funded PreK. We have already registered for this fall.

#15 red1ss

red1ss

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:56 AM

Sunshine House in Dallas is wonderful!

#16 leggs88

leggs88

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:50 AM

YWCA is brand new... it will be next to the Est Paulding Pediatrics on Hiram Drive .... close... they have not even finished the building yet.... call Sara Parsails at 770-429-2902.... they are taking applications... thanks

#17 teachermab3

teachermab3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

My experience is that the church Pre-K are much better than the Georgia Pre-K programs. My son attended First Baptist Mableton (Cobb County) and will be attending there for Kindergarten. No, it is not free but the quality of people working there are much better (typically) than the ones in day care centers.
I have heard good things about the West Georgia Academy though. Good luck in your search.

#18 Keepnupw/theJones'

Keepnupw/theJones'

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

It might be too far for you, but my daughter attended Burnt Hickory church of Christ last year. It was great. I interviewed several schools in my area, and thought this was the best. Its not really that far, just off the Barrett pkway ext. at Burnt Hickory Road. So I would drop her off and run errands over near the mall.

For PreK, its 4 mornings a week 9-12:00. The ratio is great only about 10 kids per teacher. There is also a floater teacher that goes between the 2 classes to help. Plus parents who can, are encouraged to volunteer on reading days and other functions. Most of all I felt it was a safe and loveing environment.
My son will attend their next year when he is 4. They have a full program for younger children if anyone is interested.

If you need anymore info. just ask.

Hope that helps.

#19 spaz

spaz

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (teachermab3 @ Jul 13 2005, 07:09 AM)
My experience is that the church Pre-K are much better than the Georgia Pre-K programs.  My son attended First Baptist Mableton (Cobb County) and will be attending there for Kindergarten.  No, it is not free but the quality of people working there are much better (typically) than the ones in day care centers.
I have heard good things about the West Georgia Academy though.  Good luck in your search.

I don't know why everyone looks down on day-cares and says that other teachers are typically better.I am certified to teach as well as others that teach in the Pre-K lottery funded program.We attend classes and have to keep up our certiification just like public schools.I chose daycare so I could be with my child .Sorry,to get on a soapbox,but we are just as good and I taught in the same place for five years and loved it. What makes the quality of them better? I hope you find a great Pre-k for your child.

Edited by jkd30157, 13 July 2005 - 08:54 AM.

#20 deekay

deekay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (jakem952 @ Jul 8 2005, 02:42 PM)
I am looking to sign my son up for Pre K somewhere in Paulding County, but I am having a hard time finding a reputable school.  Can anyone suggest a good Pre K program?

There is a good pre-k in Cobb just off of Mars Hill Rd. it is called Covenant Campus Academy. I live in Dallas and took my kids to Cobb because I did not like any of the programs in Paulding. We tried one of the churchs in down town Dallas and I did not feel like they treated my daughter well. Of coarse directors change and so do the employees. The phone number is (770) 294-4400. I think they still have openings.

#21 ffaseteses

ffaseteses

The Cake Diva

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (jkd30157 @ Jul 13 2005, 09:44 AM)
I don't know why everyone looks down on day-cares and says that other teachers are typically better.I am certified to teach as well as others that teach in the Pre-K lottery funded program.We attend classes and have to keep up our certiification just like public schools.I chose daycare so I could be with my child .Sorry,to get on a soapbox,but we are just as good and I taught in the same place for five years and loved it. What makes the quality of them better? I hope you find a great Pre-k for your child.

I have to agree with you on this issue! But, I do think it is based more on the individual teacher(just like in regular school) and your child as to what is or is not taught and learned. I will say this....in case anyone is having any pre-misconceptions about pre-k....not meant to offend anyone...but, dont expect your child to end the school year advanced or overly smart... They do learn alot of things, but if your child is already "ahead" of things...ie, already knows how to spell small words, count higher than 100 and so on, dont be discouraged!! They work on social skills, scheduling, getting the children used to a classroom atmosphere and so on. But like I said, Depending on the teacher and your child, the outcomes are always different. I fully recomend the Ga Lottery system!! My son got in late last year and only went half a year...he loved it and his teachers were fantastic!

#22 spaz

spaz

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:10 AM

Thank-you cake4u!

#23 red1ss

red1ss

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:27 AM

The Georgia Pre-K is lottery funded and is therefore free to the public. It is governed by and guidelines set by the State of Georgia. Teachers are required to be either 4 year degreed or certified teachers. Every teacher has an assistant in a class of 20. Both teacher and assistant go through additional training by the state every year and by the child care center that they work for. The whole purpose for the GA pre-K is for "school-readiness". It is for social and emotional development, and to expose the child to a class room setting, schedule, and structure. The state frowns upon a lot of academics. They will get all of that in public school kindergarten. They do learn quite a bit, though, through exposure. They learn to make friends, follow rules, and for a lot of children, learn to separate from Mom for the first time. I am a director of a local quality child care center and my teachers are the finest! Church child care is generally excellent, but be aware, they are not licensed, and therefore, you really have no one to report to if something isn't quite right. Fortunately, most are very good so this isn't usually a problem.

#24 GaBulldawg

GaBulldawg

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

Hi,

I am a certified teacher and have taught in Paulding county for 10 years. I recently considered leaving the county and trying to become a pre-K teacher in one of the local daycare centers. I was curious about how the teachers of the Georgia Pre-K are paid. Are they still paid by the state of Georgia, and do they receive the same state base pay as the county employees? What abolut benefits? Do they still get the state benefits? Are they actually an employee of the state or of the daycare center? I would appreciate any info you can give me. Thanks!

QUOTE (red1ss @ Jul 15 2005, 12:19 PM)
The Georgia Pre-K is lottery funded and is therefore free to the public.  It is governed by and guidelines set by the State of Georgia.  Teachers are required to be either 4 year degreed or certified teachers.  Every teacher has an assistant in a class of 20.  Both teacher and assistant go through additional training by the state every year and by the child care center that they work for.  The whole purpose for the GA pre-K is for "school-readiness".  It is for social and emotional development, and to expose the child to a class room setting, schedule, and structure.  The state frowns upon a lot of academics.  They will get all of that in public school kindergarten.  They do learn quite a bit, though, through exposure.  They learn to make friends, follow rules, and for a lot of children, learn to separate from Mom for the first time.  I am a director of a local quality child care center and my teachers are the finest!  Church child care is generally excellent, but be aware, they are not licensed, and therefore, you really have no one to report to if something isn't quite right.  Fortunately, most are very good so this isn't usually a problem.

What will be, will be!

#25 spaz

spaz

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:34 AM

The only benefit I received was childcare.There's no teacher retirement fund,etc.There is a base pay set by the state,but your pay comes through the daycare.You are considered an employee of the daycare.The beneefits are up to the daycare.I wouldn't leave a school system if you are looking for the same pay.

#26 GaBulldawg

GaBulldawg

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

Thanks....I would need to make the same amount....guess I'll stay where I'm at....I used to work in daycare when my daughter was young and I got free childcare then but not nearly enough pay...
QUOTE (jkd30157 @ Jul 16 2005, 10:26 AM)
The only benefit I received was childcare.There's no teacher retirement fund,etc.There is a base pay set by the state,but your pay comes through the daycare.You are considered an employee of the daycare.The beneefits are up to the daycare.I wouldn't leave a school system if you are looking for the same pay.

What will be, will be!

#27 kboz

kboz

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

Could a current Pre-k teacher please give me a little info? I am not putting my child in a fulltime Pre-k program but other classes like gymnastics, mini-mathematcians and Pre-k spanish. She is 4 and knows her ABC , can count to 100, knows colors and shapes, etc. I want to be sure she knows what she needs to before she starts Kindergarten. Could you please run down the main things they need to know in Pre-k before they start kindergarten. I'm sure she'll be fine but I want to be sure if there's something I need to work on at home. Thanks and you can PM me if you want.
If you're looking for competitive travel prices or a great career check out my website
www.ytbtravel.com/gslamtravel

#28 Saralee

Saralee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (HiramGirl @ Jul 8 2005, 01:49 PM)
Well, most of the more "reputable" schools have already filled their slots.  Registration or getting on the wait lists started in January.

Where in Paulding are you looking?  I know that Paulding Kids in New Georgia still has two or three slots open.  I think the Sunshine House on 92 might still have some.

Hi! I am the Managing Director for the YWCA Paulding Early Learning Center at the cornor of 120 and 278. We are at 55 Hiram Drive, across the drive from the Wellstar OB GYN clinic. The center will open for children on Aug 22, We have two Pre-K rooms. I have room for 20 more students to fill the second room. We will be using Creative Curriculum, the teachers are experienced and currently work at the Child Care Lab at CTC. The center is taking applications for Infant (raito- 1/4) through Pre-K (Before and after care will run $55 per week) the center will be open from 6am to 7pm. Pre-K hours are from 8-2:30 Breakfast, lunch and snack included. I will have applications at the site for the rest of the week.

If you would like to take a tour of the center I can provide that but can not allow children in the building (we are in the finishing stage of construction)

Thank You for your interest. Looking forward to serving you!

Saralee Persails

#29 Saralee

Saralee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

Hi, Looking for Infant to Pre-K?

New YWCA Early Learning Center
55 Hiram Drive

I will be at the center Aug. 3-4-5 for applications. 8:30 to 5:00

The center is still under construction, I can give you a tour and answer any questions you may have about the program, curriculum, and cost. (No cost for Georgia Pre-K 8-2:30) We have two rooms and have slots avaiable.

Ask for Saralee Persails
Managing Director

We will be opening with NAEYC group and raito requirements.

First day of school Aug 22, 2005

Looking forward to serving you!

#30 bailey

bailey

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I went by today to look at the school. It is gorgeous. They are going to serve Breakfast, Lunch and Snack. If you want your child to go to Pre-K you have to visit this school. It is unbelievable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics