• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 NCas

NCas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

Looks like there is an effort to stop the merger.

http://www.mdjonline...ome_top_bullets

Students, alumni and faculty of Southern Polytechnic State University are uniting to stop a "hostile takeover" of the SPSU campus by the University System of Georgia.

http://www.ajc.com/a...e-merger/nbggN/

I don't think they're like oil and water. I think they compliment each other well. The new school will have it all.

No need for undecided teens to choose a major too soon and go to Tech for Engineering only to decide to transfer to UGA for English. The Liberal Arts programs and The Math and Engineering programs of the new KSU will all be long standing and well reputed as opposed to even UGA who will have an engineering program, but which will only be accredited this fall and is underfunded. The new KSU really will be a top state school, and though it may be a little ambitious to suggest it'll pass UGA's long research based standing, it certainly has a better shot than the two schools not combined.

#42 RDR8887

RDR8887

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

I'm a SPSU grad. In a few years, my degree is from a non exist at school. At this point, my career accomplishments are the only thing that matter. But, it could still affect me if I were to apply for a job in California.

The students in engineering, architecture, and construction management will be upset. SPSU has made a name for themselves in this field. The industry knows the caliber of students SPSU puts out. If you end up with a construction management degree from KSU, it could hurt you on paper in the job prospect market.

I wish the best for anyone affected. Hopefully, this won't do the damage I see possible.

Edited by RDR8887, 04 November 2013 - 02:44 AM.

#43 Double Vision

Double Vision

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I know top priority is for education (so everyone don't jump me at once) but I wonder how this will affect things like sports. While it's not extensive, SPSU does have athletic teams. They are NAIA....KSU was recently changed to division 1. How will a merger affect those athletes?

And for the poster above - KSU will issue you a degree with the University name. Kennesaw's reputation has greatly improved over the last decade. You can reference your specialized education in parentheses on a resume. Not every potential employer discounts an education from KSU. Quite the opposite, in a lot of cases. ;)

#44 InLA

InLA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, but those posters seem to have some sort of personal connection to SPSU.

That was my thought too. Knowing nothing, if two people walked up to me and one said they were an SPSU grad, and one said they were a KSU grad I wouldn't think highly of either. Neither would I think lowly of them. I wouldn't think they were lacking or exceptional in any way.

In regards to the employer who threw out resumes of schools he didn't recognize, my first boss would trash any resume that had a name he couldn't pronounce, and anyone who lived more than 10 miles from the office. People have their quirks about hiring.

#45 NCas

NCas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I know top priority is for education (so everyone don't jump me at once) but I wonder how this will affect things like sports. While it's not extensive, SPSU does have athletic teams. They are NAIA....KSU was recently changed to division 1. How will a merger affect those athletes?

And for the poster above - KSU will issue you a degree with the University name. Kennesaw's reputation has greatly improved over the last decade. You can reference your specialized education in parentheses on a resume. Not every potential employer discounts an education from KSU. Quite the opposite, in a lot of cases. ;)

That's true. I, too, wonder what will happen to the athletes who enjoy their sport so much, and am more concerned for any athletes who may be depending on an athletic scholarship to pay for their education. Certainly not all athletes will be able to remain on their teams. Will KSU's athletes have preference over SPSU's and be more likely to be kept on? If not, then I do worry for athletes from both schools. I hope the board will do whatever they can to make their futures as painless as possible. On the other hand, and this will sound insensitive, the teams from the new school may be able to keep the very best from both schools and the new teams may have greater success in winning against other schools that will help gain more publicity for KSU and make it even more well known. Maybe not, but a bit of optimism can't hurt.

#46 InLA

InLA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

That's true. I, too, wonder what will happen to the athletes who enjoy their sport so much, and am more concerned for any athletes who may be depending on an athletic scholarship to pay for their education. Certainly not all athletes will be able to remain on their teams. Will KSU's athletes have preference over SPSU's and be more likely to be kept on? If not, then I do worry for athletes from both schools. I hope the board will do whatever they can to make their futures as painless as possible. On the other hand, and this will sound insensitive, the teams from the new school may be able to keep the very best from both schools and the new teams may have greater success in winning against other schools that will help gain more publicity for KSU and make it even more well known. Maybe not, but a bit of optimism can't hurt.

We're talking about smart kids. It's unlikely that it'll affect sports.

#47 gog8tors

gog8tors

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,274 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

We're talking about smart kids. It's unlikely that it'll affect sports.

WOW, :wacko:

#48 InLA

InLA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

WOW, :wacko:

I was kidding. :blink:

#49 gog8tors

gog8tors

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,274 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

I was kidding. :blink:

Oh, OK I guess you forgot the :lol: ;).
I just happen to be one of those parents with a smart kid who also happens to be athlete. So, yes the academics are of first importance, and then the athletics.
I don't know of any parent with a student athlete that doesn't place the student part first. That's all I'm saying. 8)
  • NewsJunky likes this

#50 Just Denise

Just Denise

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

There are lots of opinions on what happened, how it happened and the future. This seems to be the most accurate reflection published thus far.

The Georgia system's associate vice chancellor, Shelley Nickel, who is known as the "consolidation czar," acknowledged that the decision to merge Kennesaw and Southern Poly was made following private discussions among Huckaby, board members, and system staff.

But she said the timing of the announcement was not designed to block student input.

"There is nothing intentional about the shutting out of the students," she said in an interview.

A spokesman for the regents said board members would not be made available for comment.

Nickel said the Kennesaw/Southern Poly merger made sense for a few reasons. The two institutions are in the same county, 10 miles apart, and have different missions but also some overlap, she said.

Read more: http://www.insidehig...a#ixzz2k4ci6ykZ
Inside Higher Ed

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

~Albert Einstein Posted Image

I'm fat... apparently, that means I am lazy, indignant and unattractive!

#51 NCas

NCas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

There are lots of opinions on what happened, how it happened and the future. This seems to be the most accurate reflection published thus far.

The Georgia system's associate vice chancellor, Shelley Nickel, who is known as the "consolidation czar," acknowledged that the decision to merge Kennesaw and Southern Poly was made following private discussions among Huckaby, board members, and system staff.

But she said the timing of the announcement was not designed to block student input.

"There is nothing intentional about the shutting out of the students," she said in an interview.

A spokesman for the regents said board members would not be made available for comment.

Nickel said the Kennesaw/Southern Poly merger made sense for a few reasons. The two institutions are in the same county, 10 miles apart, and have different missions but also some overlap, she said.

Read more: http://www.insidehig...a#ixzz2k4ci6ykZ
Inside Higher Ed

Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for something along those lines. Unfortunately it looks like things have to get worse before they get better. I might be ok with the merger, but I still have loved my time at SPSU and found myself sitting outside the student center with friends very frequently. I loved that globe. It'll take a while for them to get it fixed if they can.

Also considering the mass emails I've been getting from students with really immature protest ideas and intentions that make me feel very sorry for KSU students, I'm so embarrassed right now for all of us students at SPSU. Just a few juvenile jerks are making us seem like spoiled brats, stomping our feet, and breaking things during a temper tantrum. That's along the lines of what I heard two people say in the Walmart yesterday near campus and for the first time I didn't want people to find out I was a student there. Administration is getting a hold of it now, but it took the loss of a great piece of art for them to do it which might not have been lost if they hadn't encouraged student protests so much. Hope our globe gets fixed soon and they find the jerks who broke it. It was a stupid and unacceptable way to get more publicity and, by extension, more signatures.

A moment of silence for our fallen globe :(

#52 Just Denise

Just Denise

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Posted Image

The single biggest mistake is keeping the name Kennesaw State University. The debate over the name is a constant point of discussion. Nobody knows what it will look like in 14 months but I can assure you that everyone is working toward a solution that includes a "polytechnic", "engineering" or "technology" in the design of the new comprehensive institution. The intent is that the programs, faculty and students will be integrated rather than assimilated. The message isn't that SPSU is diminished by KSU simply because it is the larger of the two institutions. The result should be a very strong university in many ways. It is going to be painful for current students, alumni, sports teams and support staff for the next couple of years.

Attached Thumbnails

• globe.jpg

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

~Albert Einstein Posted Image

I'm fat... apparently, that means I am lazy, indignant and unattractive!

#53 NCas

NCas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Posted Image

The single biggest mistake is keeping the name Kennesaw State University. The debate over the name is a constant point of discussion. Nobody knows what it will look like in 14 months but I can assure you that everyone is working toward a solution that includes a "polytechnic", "engineering" or "technology" in the design of the new comprehensive institution. The intent is that the programs, faculty and students will be integrated rather than assimilated. The message isn't that SPSU is diminished by KSU simply because it is the larger of the two institutions. The result should be a very strong university in many ways. It is going to be painful for current students, alumni, sports teams and support staff for the next couple of years.

I think if they had originally decided on a totally different name that at least tried to incorporate the disciplines of both schools then students would have felt a lot better. A different name would be cool. If they do decide to change the intended name though I'm not sure how they would add "engineering" or "technology" to the main title without drawing away from KSU's programs as well or without harming KSU students since I've been told by KSU students that they would worry about their reputation as well if the name changed since KSU has worked very hard to become more recognized nationally and are succeeding. Since that would be in the best interest of the state of Georgia as far as politicians would be concerned, then they would want that name to stay. With so much dissent among SPSU students and alumni though, I would think some kind of compromise would have to be made. It'll be interesting to see how they do it. In the mean time, the tons of unanswered questions and the uncertainty in general is still pretty unnerving to many students here :/ Same with KSU students though. There are those who look down on SPSU, it being a 3rd tier school and thought by some to have been "rejected" by Ga tech, and worry about KSU's reputation taking a hit. I went to pick up a friend from KSU and some of her dorm mates were having that very discussion in the common room. Bit of bitterness on both sides. Hope it gets better soon!

#54 LGM

LGM

Crafting and ninja raising extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Correct, the plan is that SPSU will stay as it is with the same set of classes, the management thereof will move to the Kennesaw State folks. Once the merger is complete the "new" University in Cobb, announced to retain the KSU name, will most likely be the 3rd largest in the state behind UGA and Tech.

KSU has been the third largest University in the state since either 2007 or 2008. It is third to UGA and, believe it or not, Georgia State. They've been ahead of Georgia Tech for several years.
Georgia State has almost 25,000 students, KSU has 24,000 students, and Georgia Tech has 21,500 students. KSU isn't far behind Georgia State and, with the merge, will become the second largest university in the state.

I'm a former employee and student at KSU - on campus several times a week. I also have a lot of family who have engineering degrees from SPSU. I understand both sides. Some of the negatives being listed are so, so inaccurate, though. For instance, I keep hearing concerns about class size - I don't have a single class right now with more than thirty students. One has only eight.

I have no idea how this came as such a shock to so many people, though. When the budget cuts of 2008 or 2009 were going on in the university system, school mergers were mention repeatedly if universities couldn't make it under budget. Southern Poly was one of the mergers mentioned, though I don't remember it being mentioned with whom they were merging. Who else, though?

It doesn't really bother me, either way. Jobs will be lost, just as mine was in 2009, and the SPSU students will have to deal with a lot of change, and the KSU students will have to deal with it as well. But, in reality, the choices are either to merge schools are start shutting smaller schools down - the University System, despite going about it horribly from a PR standpoint, is just trying to keep some of the best and brightest programs while they can. It's been five years since the talks started - this wasn't their first resort. I'm just happy they were able to save the program, even if they had to merge it with something else in order for that to happen.

"I'm not raising a child...I'm raising an adult" - LGM

'you get mega cool points for being a rare breed of woman who knows how to keep her mouth closed!!!!'

- Anonymous, awesome p.commer.

#55 NCas

NCas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

For instance, I keep hearing concerns about class size - I don't have a single class right now with more than thirty students. One has only eight.

I have no idea how this came as such a shock to so many people, though. When the budget cuts of 2008 or 2009 were going on in the university system, school mergers were mention repeatedly if universities couldn't make it under budget. Southern Poly was one of the mergers mentioned, though I don't remember it being mentioned with whom they were merging. Who else, though?

I wouldn't worry about class sizes either. If they did intend to add a ton of student to the SPSU campus then they would have to start tearing down and expanding buildings. The classrooms can't physically fit many students. I don't think anyone intends to spend absurd amounts of money to remodel, or defy the laws of physics, or piss off the fire martials, so the classes will remain the same size. Last semester we had a few days disrupted at the beginning of the semester because we had to figure out how to fit 44 students in a classroom only meant to hold 36 or so. We had to change classrooms. You just can't physically change all the classrooms especially when many are equipped with computers and only so many of them, so class sizes will remain the same. How so many people don't seem to see this is confusing to me. At most they will have to add more of the same class and more schedule options *GASP* lol which would be fantastic! I've been trying to take a couple different maths for a few semesters that are only available at one single time slot in a semester and literally fill up in less than an hour after registration opens. Same with Astronomy and a computer class I need in order to take another. Grr.

And yes, the merger between SPSU was rumored and suspected since AT LEAST 2010. There's a youtube video dated around then of an interview with an SPSU professor who is asked about a possible merger between the two schools. So at least 3 years, but probably more. I also remember seeing an article online about the rumor dated in 2009, so I'm also not sure why people were caught so off guard.

#56 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,607 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Looks like it is a done deal.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics