60 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,737 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Really, when should common sense prevail? I guess I shouldn't let my kids play with their Nerf or water guns in the yard anymore :glare:

http://www.foxnews.c...un-in-own-yard/
Two seventh-grade students in Virginia Beach, Va., were handed long-term suspensions Tuesday that will last until the end of the school year for playing with an airsoft gun in one of their front yards while waiting for the school bus.

WAVY-TV reports that 13-year-old Khalid Caraballo and Aidan Clark will face an additional hearing in January to determine if they will be expelled for "possession, handling and use of a firearm" because the guns were fired at two others playing in Caraballo's yard.

A neighbor saw Khalid shooting the airsoft gun in his yard and called 911, telling the dispatcher, "He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there's a target in a tree in his front yard," the station reported.

Khalid claims he never took the toy gun to the designated bus stop or Larkspur Middle School, according to the report. Two other students who fired guns were also suspended.

In a letter obtained by WAVY.com, school principal Matthew Delaney found that the "children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." Delaney states in the letter that one child "was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit."

The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report.

Khalid's mother, Solangel Caraballo, said it's ridiculous that her son and his friends were suspended because they were firing the airsoft gun on private property.

http://www.wavy.com/...ce-gone-too-far

The bus stop in question is 70 yards from the Caraballo's front yard.

#2 NinaBritt

NinaBritt

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

You've got to be kidding me! I hope the parents take some sort of action against the school.

This right here is just bullshiit:
"The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report."

And didn't the school year just start? Guess they'll have to repeat the seventh grade.

:blink: :wacko:
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Sounds like they were on private property NEAR the bus stop and not actually AT the bus stop. If so, how can the school impose this? That would be like the school telling my kids that they couldn't play with water pistols on my property because it is within 200 feet of the bus stop.

Some things are getting ridiculous where the schools are concerned.

When I was in school we used to joke about how they were getting to be like prisons. Now it's no joke.

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#4 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thank god the moron police weren't around when we were kids.
BB gun fights, dirt clod fights, pine cone fights, roman candle fights (when you could get some) or whatever kind of fights and for that matter, some of the worst hurts I got was in wiffle ball when the player with the ball was 3' away and instead of tagging you out, threw the ball at you to get you out.
But hey! That was part of being a kid, having fun and growing up.

If you got hurt and went home crying to mommy (you wouldn't dare cry to daddy), mommy would then sue....no wait that's not right...mommy would then call the police....no wait, that's not right either...mommy would call the other kid's parents....noooo, that's wrong also...I got it!...I remember now....mommy would say, "That's what you get for having (BB gun fights, dirt clod fight, pine cone fights, roman candle fights or whatever kind of fights).", or she would say, "If you can't play ball without getting hurt, then don't play.".

What a sad childhood we had, not a lawsuit or TV camera anywhere.
  • Dana and NewsJunky like this
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#5 blondchevygrl

blondchevygrl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

BB gun fights, dirt clod fights, pine cone fights, roman candle fights (when you could get some) or whatever kind of fights and for that matter, some of the worst hurts I got was in wiffle ball when the player with the ball was 3' away and instead of tagging you out, threw the ball at you to get you out.

If you got hurt and went home crying to mommy (you wouldn't dare cry to daddy), mommy would then sue....no wait that's not right...mommy would then call the police....no wait, that's not right either...mommy would call the other kid's parents....noooo, that's wrong also...I got it!...I remember now....mommy would say, "That's what you get for having (BB gun fights, dirt clod fight, pine cone fights, roman candle fights or whatever kind of fights).", or she would say, "If you can't play ball without getting hurt, then don't play.".

This is exactly what I tell my kids. My oldest (17) and one of his friends (18) like to horse play. They both get scuffed up. I told mine, if he was going to horse around, I didn't want to hear the complaints. He hasn't complained since, but they still horse around.

#6 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

If some idiot neighbor kids were shooting at my kids while they wait for the bus, I'd hope they were suspended.

mrnn
  • momof 3, bookreader and stercus tauri like this

"Republicans have been fleeced, exploited, and lied to by the conservative entertainment complex" -- David Frum, Former Bush Speechwriter and directer of Republican Jewish Coalition

#7 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

The law extends to the bus stop. The kids were waiting on the bus and that makes them and their actions answerable to the school. This is the way it has been for a long time, and should be.

#8 LisaC

LisaC

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm going to go with the theory that there is more to this story than just what the kids and parents say happened.
Sometimes no comment is the best comment.

#9 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

But apparently these kids were not AT the bus stop, just near it. On private property.

The law extends to the bus stop. The kids were waiting on the bus and that makes them and their actions answerable to the school. This is the way it has been for a long time, and should be.

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#10 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

But apparently these kids were not AT the bus stop, just near it. On private property.

It doesn't matter. If the kids were waiting near the stop, they are under the rules of school. Even if private property.

#11 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

So in other words, what one does in their OWN yard, if it's near a bus stop, comes under the rule of the school? Even if the kids aren't AT the bus stop?

Amazing. Schools can police private property because it's "near" a bus stop but can't stop a kid from beating the snot out of another kid ON THE FREAKIN' BUS.

It doesn't matter. If the kids were waiting near the stop, they are under the rules of school. Even if private property.

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#12 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

So in other words, what one does in their OWN yard, if it's near a bus stop, comes under the rule of the school? Even if the kids aren't AT the bus stop?

Amazing. Schools can police private property because it's "near" a bus stop but can't stop a kid from beating the snot out of another kid ON THE FREAKIN' BUS.

And to extend that reasoning a bit further...

Are the schools responsible for the damage to lawns and shrubs caused by kids waiting on their bus?

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

#13 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,264 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

And to extend that reasoning a bit further...

Are the schools responsible for the damage to lawns and shrubs caused by kids waiting on their bus?

I'll bet they'd dispute that in a Cincinnati second.
  • gog8tors likes this

#14 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

I'll bet they'd dispute that in a Cincinnati second.

And they'd be ALL OVER a homeowner who dared say something to a kid waiting on a bus about his behavior. Or one who dared complain because the bus stop is in front of his house and he has no chillins'.
  • gog8tors likes this

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

#15 gog8tors

gog8tors

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,320 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

The bus stop is our driveway. So, according to those idiots my son can't shoot his BB gun, or any other type of weapon on our property.
:blink:

Edited by gog8tors, 24 September 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#16 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

The bus stop is our driveway. So, according to those idiots my son can't shoot his BB gun, or any other type of weapon on our property.
:blink:

Not at the time kids are heading to, or standing in, your driveway to catch the bus. Any other time, your son can go out there with his bb gun and shoot whatever he wants. The difference being, kids are required to go onto your private property to catch the bus. This doesn't mean you can go out there and beat them up, shoot them, spit in their faces, or sick your dogs on them because they're on your property waiting to catch the bus...your driveway, for that 10-15 min period, is considered school grounds.

I'm not real sure why these suspensions are so difficult to understand. You can't terrorize kids while they wait for the bus and not expect repercussions. Those kids aren't there by choice, they have to be there to catch the bus.

mrnn
  • momof 3, bookreader and stercus tauri like this

"Republicans have been fleeced, exploited, and lied to by the conservative entertainment complex" -- David Frum, Former Bush Speechwriter and directer of Republican Jewish Coalition

#17 rockysmom

rockysmom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Not at the time kids are heading to, or standing in, your driveway to catch the bus. Any other time, your son can go out there with his bb gun and shoot whatever he wants. The difference being, kids are required to go onto your private property to catch the bus. This doesn't mean you can go out there and beat them up, shoot them, spit in their faces, or sick your dogs on them because they're on your property waiting to catch the bus...your driveway, for that 10-15 min period, is considered school grounds.

I'm not real sure why these suspensions are so difficult to understand. You can't terrorize kids while they wait for the bus and not expect repercussions. Those kids aren't there by choice, they have to be there to catch the bus.

mrnn

Oh, that's too bad....I personally love the smell of guns going off in the morning.....especially when the kids are waiting on the bus. :rolleyes:
Buy American! We are all in this together so BUY AMERICAN!!!

A caring, thoughtful, beautiful mind creates it's own blue sky.

#18 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 26,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

Oh, that's too bad....I personally love the smell of guns going off in the morning.....especially when the kids are waiting on the bus. :rolleyes:

Imagine not being free to do anything you want to, to kids on your property. Our freedoms are going away at an alarming rate.

#19 rockysmom

rockysmom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Imagine not being free to do anything you want to, to kids on your property. Our freedoms are going away at an alarming rate.

Seems to me that they complain when their angels have to walk two blocks to wait on the bus or if the bus stop is in front of their house.......they just complain. :)

#20 gog8tors

gog8tors

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,320 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Seems to me that they complain when their angels have to walk two blocks to wait on the bus or if the bus stop is in front of their house.......they just complain. :)

JSYK, it is the bus people that make the decision where the bus stop is. As we (my neighbor, and I) were told. Even though the kids went back, and forth between the houses, the road is just to dangerous for middle schoolers to go next door, or meet in the middle, so there would be one stop instead of two in a 100' distance.

#21 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

I am an expert on school suspensions...

Generally when the school suspends a student, common sense doesn't matter. The principal will quote chapter and verse of some vague school board policy. That way the school principal can blame the board saying his hands were tied, yet the board is never held accountable for ridiculous actions of the principal. It's all one big three ring circus...

Best answer is to send your kid to private school.
I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely.
(Rhett Butler speaking to Miss Scarlett)

#22 gog8tors

gog8tors

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,320 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

mrnn

Well seems the issues still applies. If there is a snake, or some other varmint that needs to die, and either my son, myself, or my DH shots it we would still have an issue.
Or, perhaps we'll just let the kids get bit.

#23 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

Jawohl Lord Helmet!

You FUNNY!
How are the kinder, still in private school?

mrnn

Man you got hold of some bad juju, I need to take you out for a round of mind clearing golf.
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#24 TJB

TJB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

You'll be shocked to hear this, but I agree with you. I'm for common sense gun control and preventing school violence, but this goes too far.

#25 NinaBritt

NinaBritt

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

The issue I see here is that the school feels they must discipline these boys for something that should be handled by the parents. I'm not okay with a school "parenting" my child. They had no business enforcing a long term suspension for something that took place on private property. And because of this the parents now have to find some kind of way to continue their education while they are out of school, i.e. home schooling, tutoring.

ETA: Once the child steps on that bus and is in the care of the school then it's perfectly fine for him/her to be reprimanded for breaking any rules.

Edited by NinaBritt, 24 September 2013 - 09:40 PM.

• mrshoward and gog8tors like this
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#26 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

You'll be shocked to hear this, but I agree with you. I'm for common sense gun control and preventing school violence, but this goes too far.

You feeling ok?
I'm worried about one of us.
:)

#27 stercus tauri

stercus tauri

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

mrnn

This is how it works. I don't know why people have such a hard time getting this.

#28 rockysmom

rockysmom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Not for nothing, if I had a kid and they were waiting for the bus and the owner of the house came out of the house with a gun, a gun of any kind, with my kid around.....I'd have a real problem with that.
  • momof 3 and jenilyn like this

#29 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

It's because a lot of people know asinine when they see it. It's a difficult concept to resolve within yourself. How something so STUPID could be real.

This is how it works. I don't know why people have such a hard time getting this.

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#30 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Maybe they have a hard time getting it because it is WRONG!

So the lads are doing well at soccer?
  • Starr & Dru's Nana, mrshoward, momof 3 and 1 other like this

#31 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Not for nothing, if I had a kid and they were waiting for the bus and the owner of the house came out of the house with a gun, a gun of any kind, with my kid around.....I'd have a real problem with that.

Well don't let em catch the bus in front of my house, cause I'm toting em in and out a lot.

Don't ask why. :unsure:
  • gog8tors likes this

#32 TJB

TJB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

You feeling ok?
I'm worried about one of us.
:)

I don't think all liberals are the same, just like all conservatives aren't the same. I grew up in a time before kids were coddled and babied and teachers and principals understood that kids will be kids.

#33 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

I don't think all liberals are the same, just like all conservatives aren't the same. I grew up in a time before kids were coddled and babied and teachers and principals understood that kids will be kids.

Dang, you went and got all serious on me.
I agree 100% about liberals and conservatives.
But I think there are a lot on both sides that just follow the "party" line without thinking for themselves.
I have a hard time with those people, no matter which end they are on.
  • gog8tors likes this

#34 rockysmom

rockysmom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

Well don't let em catch the bus in front of my house, cause I'm toting em in and out a lot.

Don't ask why. :unsure:

Let me assure you of a couple of things....first, if I had I kid I would drive my kid to school. No way I would subject them to what goes on in school buses. Second....I would not subject my kid to the public school system...

It's very reassuring to know that there are parents around that think nothing of mixing kids and guns. :blink:

Your right to guns switch is broke on this one.

#35 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,093 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Like I said before, it seems ridiculous that kids are protected at the bus stop by the long arm of the school law but the school can't do a single thing about some kid beating the snot out of another ON THE BUS. But heaven forbid someone have a pellet gun or water pistol NEAR the bus stop.

Someone has their priorities all wrong.

Let me assure you of a couple of things....first, if I had I kid I would drive my kid to school. No way I would subject them to what goes on in school buses. Second....I would not subject my kid to the public school system...

It's very reassuring to know that there are parents around that think nothing of mixing kids and guns. :blink:

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#36 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Well seems the issues still applies. If there is a snake, or some other varmint that needs to die, and either my son, myself, or my DH shots it we would still have an issue.
Or, perhaps we'll just let the kids get bit.

I guess you missed the part of the story where they shot a kid standing near the bus stop who wanted no part of their antics. So, yes, if you or your husband go out to shoot a snake and then intentionally target a child waiting at the bus stop, yes, you should be held accountable.

mrnn
  • momof 3 and jenilyn like this

#37 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,429 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

I reread my post and it came out a little different than what I meant it too.
I was trying to be a little humorous while stating a fact.
I do carry a guns from the house to the car and back again, every day.
But I am not waving it around nor am I wandering around the yard while holding it, in plain sight.
I have done so with my BB gun, and if this was the "old" days, I wouldn't think twice about carrying a "real" gun around the yard with kids waiting on the bus.
But, due to the way things are today, with the "crazy" stuff going on, (crazy stuff being people going nuts and shooting everyone), I would not do that today.

I think I understood your point, you don't want someone wandering around a kids bus stop with a gun.
I understand that.

#38 rockysmom

rockysmom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

Like I said before, it seems ridiculous that kids are protected at the bus stop by the long arm of the school law but the school can't do a single thing about some kid beating the snot out of another ON THE BUS. But heaven forbid someone have a pellet gun or water pistol NEAR the bus stop.

Someone has their priorities all wrong.

Yeah they sure do. Cause your right to guns right stops at a kids bus stop. Just call me crazy.

#39 mrnn

mrnn

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

but the school can't do a single thing about some kid beating the snot out of another ON THE BUS.

On that much we agree...I don't understand how kids get away with what they do on buses....and that goes back to when I was in middle school.

mrnn

#40 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Amen to both. I think this was a silly ruling, IF they weren't firing towards the bus stop. But either way, I'm with this. NO WAY.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics