38 replies to this topic

#1 rawhide

rawhide

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

Does anyone have any information on the new shooting range called Governers club? Its on 278 just over on the Cobb County side. Im not even
sure if its open yet.

#2 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

Their website says they will be open by year end.

When they started construction, they were supposed to be open June 2013,

Obviously they have not updated that, as their FB page has comments about what a great range it is. So...............it must be open.

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#3 rawhide

rawhide

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

I cant wait. Its about time we have one a little closer to home. Im ready to fire some weapons!!!

#4 jlewi

jlewi

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:09 AM

It looks like it is open ,I went by there the other day and the parking lot was full of cars.

#5 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

It looks like it is open ,I went by there the other day and the parking lot was full of cars.

Right now it is only open to the ones that bought memberships in advance.

Their FB said that it will be open real soon.

I can't wait.
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

#6 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

The parking lot was packed Saturday.

#7 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,605 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

I need some practice with my 10mm Glock. I have no trouble with my Henry rifle.

I'll also be glad to have a range closer by. :drinks:.
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#8 Jamie Weaver

Jamie Weaver

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

If I heard correctly, they will serve alcohol in the lounge. Booze and guns sounds like a serious liability, but if they can pull it off, it sounds like a neat place.

- Jamie

Edited by Jamie Weaver, 05 August 2013 - 10:54 AM.

"Rarely Has a U.S. President Been So Wrong About So Much" - Mr. Halliburton

#9 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,605 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

If I heard correctly, they will serve alcohol in the lounge. Booze and guns sounds like a serious liability, but if they can pull it off, it sounds like a neat place.

- Jamie

I love a party, no matter where it is, J W!:friends:
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#10 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Yes, they will. Premium members only, if I remember correctly. NOT open to the public. They already have their license.

I can just see Powder Springs PD changing where they park and watch for speeders now.Posted Image

- Jamie

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#11 NITR0

NITR0

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

- Jamie

Not much of a liability the way they have the rules implemented.

To get in the lounge where the bar is, you have to be a "full metal jacket" member (highest level member).
The lounge is accessed by a member card and isn't available to lower level members or the general public.
Once you purchase a alcoholic drink, your card is flagged and you cannot check in to the gun range that day.

If you want to shoot and then go drink, you have to put your gun in a valet safe and then come back to get it at a later date.

They thought the process out pretty well and looks like they will be very strict about the safety of their patrons.

Edited by NITR0, 05 August 2013 - 05:04 PM.

• Rookie likes this

#12 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

First, I wish them the best.
Second, it sounds like they have a decent plan to keep the range safe.
Third, I can't help but think that this is a lawsuit looking for a court somewhere somehow down the line.
I would think that running a shooting range is tough enough, now you have to run a bar also.
Which is also a tough job.

Sounds sorta like putting a smoking room next to the dynamite shed.

But I could be and hope I am wrong.
  • momof 3 likes this
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#13 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'd think that it would be safer there than most people's backyards in Paulding County (or anywhere else). Guns don't come with Breathalyzers.
  • The Sound Guy, watcher, NinaBritt and 1 other like this

#14 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

I predict by this time next year. I, too, hope I'm wrong but unfortunately, I know Paulding and West Cobb residents too well to have much hope that it won't happen.

Third, I can't help but think that this is a lawsuit looking for a court somewhere somehow down the line.

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#15 Dallas Bigfoot

Dallas Bigfoot

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

For members that want to use the bar and other top facilities will cost about $800 a year. Not sure what us peons will have to pay to shoot.

#16 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Just looked over their web page.
I presume they know more than I do what people are willing to pay to shoot.
I would think that if I could afford their membership packages, I would have my own land to shoot on, but what do I know.

Being an old person, who used to shoot in his backyard in Smyrna, I have a hard time paying someone to let me shoot.
I have done it, but I have a hard time doing it.
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#17 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Yeah, I hear you. My dad took me out back of the house and taught me how to shoot. Back then the only thing behind the house was woods and pretty far beyond that was my cousin's, aunt and grandmother's houses. Oh, and the old sewer plant. I couldn't have hit any of them had I tried.

Funny how things have changed over there. I understand gunshots are quite common now. Not so much target practice like you and I used to do.

I would think that if I could afford their membership packages, I would have my own land to shoot on, but what do I know.

Being an old person, who used to shoot in his backyard in Smyrna, I have a hard time paying someone to let me shoot.

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#18 NITR0

NITR0

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

But there's a few problems these days that a shooting range tends to remedy.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are scared of firearms. A lot of people live in sub-divisions and like it and don't care to live in the country where you can shoot.

How many times do you see people on this very forum asking, "I just heard gunshots... anyone else in the county hear them?"
Some people get ridiculous about firearms being shot.

People call the police when they hear gun shots, no matter where they are coming from.
People shoot on their own land, with proper backstops, in daylight hours and still have police show up because
some knucklehead heard a gun shot. If you see someone being reckless or are aware of projectiles buzzing pass your house, that's one thing,
but too many people simply call because they hear a gun shot.

I hear gun shots all the time where I live and I don't think twice about it.
People have a lot of land around me and some times they shoot and some times they hunt.

I agree with you... I'd rather be out on a nice sunny day, breathing in the fresh air, and enjoy a little shooting.
But people who don't have the luxury of lots of land, people who like the city, but still want to practice and be able to protect themselves,
or just want to have some firearm recreation time... an indoor range suits a lot of people.

It's also nice for firearms instructors, like myself, to work with a new shooter in a confined environment, like an indoor range,
where it's easier to maintain a controlled environment of the person being instructed.

Edited by NITR0, 05 August 2013 - 10:19 PM.

• orrby likes this

#19 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Glad to know it's not just me who thinks that.

Some people get ridiculous about firearms being shot.

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#20 MTA

MTA

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Yep they are pretty proud of their range. It is certainly more than I am willing to pay and no more than I shoot is not worth it. I am only 1 mile from it but will continue to go to Wild West or Stoddards.

#21 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,403 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

- Jamie

YUP, that was a huge debate on here a while back. I'm all for a closer range, but one that sells alcohol.......not so much!

Yep they are pretty proud of their range. It is certainly more than I am willing to pay and no more than I shoot is not worth it. I am only 1 mile from it but will continue to go to Wild West or Stoddards.

Yes they are.

#22 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,215 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Something tells me they weren't going after the typical west Cobb/Paulding resident. Maybe the Bentwater, Brookstone type of customer but not the typical customer from the area.

Yep they are pretty proud of their range.

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#23 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,796 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

From their FB page:

We are now open to the public. M-Sat 10-9. Sun 1-6, $16 HR for lane time. Only $12 before 4:00 M-F.

#24 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,403 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

From their FB page:

We are now open to the public. M-Sat 10-9. Sun 1-6, $16 HR for lane time. Only $12 before 4:00 M-F.

These are the rates for Big Woods Goods on Canton. Granted, it's farther to drive but $14.99 for unlimited time and $16.00 per hour is a pretty big difference. Also, at BWG, Tuesdays is Ladies day and you shoot for free.

Flat Rate: (Shoot as long as you want)
Single Person (One Lane): 14.99
Second Shooter (Same Lane): 8.99
Second Shooter (Same Lane) (Child under 14 years of age): 5.99

#25 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,796 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

I've never heard of that place momof3, but my husband wants to go back to Cherokee Pawn & Gun soon anyway. Thanks!

#26 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,403 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

I went to the web site and I didn't see any info on daily rates at all. Memberships start at $550.00 a year and go up from there, that's if you pay upfront with no plan. If you pay monthly, it is $729 and change, $289.95 plus $39.95 x 11 months.

There is a 'one time fee' of $150.00 plus the $400.00 yearly fee if you pay up front.

It's almost like they can't decide what they want to be. A lounge. A shooting range. A bar. A cigar den. It seems too convoluted to me.

I've never heard of that place momof3, but my husband wants to go back to Cherokee Pawn & Gun soon anyway. Thanks!

Big Woods Goods is really nice and is closer than Cherokee Pawn I think. We shot there a few weeks ago on Tuesday and it was less than $20.00 for both of including targets and we were there for more than 2 hours.

Edited by momof 3, 20 August 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#27 Dorifish

Dorifish

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

We usually like to go to Adventure Outdoors. We try to get there right at 10am. Saturday we were there for 2.5 hrs. Daughter shot 500 RDS of older 22 ammo. She let hubby and I shoot a little...then she worked out my .380. Only cost us $25 for all 3 on one lane.

just keep swimmin' - swimmin' swimmin'

#28 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Coming from a poor white girl, I think the prices are reasonable.

Seriously, a night at the movies costs more.

Just sayin.

And I know several middle class men that have purchased memberships.
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

#29 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,598 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

Papi has considered a membership.
Considered is the key word.
  • MsGaStorm likes this

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#30 iwunderu

iwunderu

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

We have a membership.

First, let me clear up the alcohol issue. That is the Full Metal Jacket members only lounge and if you buy alcohol, you can't go back into the range.

The guy who built this place is an architect that has designed all sorts of gun ranges across the country. He wanted to put all the great things he had built for other gun ranges into his own gun range. There are some cool things going on there. Go and ask for a tour.

They were still offering flagship member discounts as of this past Sunday. They also give a $100 military discount.
  • NewsJunky and MsGaStorm like this

#31 MTA

MTA

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

From their FB page:

Well if they let the general public in for these prices, it is worth it to me since I am 1 mile from them. By the time I drive to WWT or Stoddards I have burned near 2 gallons of gas. I will have to check them out.

#32 sungoddess

sungoddess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

I went by this past Friday and they were VERY busy. They have a gorgeous place. I inquired about lessons. You do not have to be a member to take the lessons, and they said they would post it on their website when they started classes. Like I said, BEAUTIFUL place and VERY nice people running it.

#33 MsGaStorm

MsGaStorm

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

We have a membership.

First, let me clear up the alcohol issue. That is the Full Metal Jacket members only lounge and if you buy alcohol, you can't go back into the range.

The guy who built this place is an architect that has designed all sorts of gun ranges across the country. He wanted to put all the great things he had built for other gun ranges into his own gun range. There are some cool things going on there. Go and ask for a tour.

They were still offering flagship member discounts as of this past Sunday. They also give a $100 military discount.

I believe the military discount also extends to first responders.

When you sign in you are given an electronic card key to access different areas. If you are a full metal jacket member and order anything with alcohol from the lounge then your card is denied access to the range area until the next day and no guns are allowed into the lounge. Yes the full metal jacket membership is more expensive than the others and you may think it only allows lounge access but you also get discounts on store items and they plan to start having social gatherings in the lounge and fire pit area for those with the full metal jacket memberships. This will allow those members to meet other members who have some of the same interests. My husband has been a collector for a long time, almost his entire life, so I like this aspect of the membership. He likes that the club is closer and offers discounts even if his ammo has to be ordered. We went in for a tour and to ask some questions, while thinking we might get the middle cost "platoon" membership. However, after taking the tour, having all our questions answered, etc. we were lucky enough to speak with the owner for a few minutes. He gave us a large discount off the sign up fee for the full metal jacket membership, so we went with it. The sign up fee is different from the annual dues and it is only paid one time, unless one year you let your membership lapse and choose later to sign up again. My husband is very excited about this and I think it will bring some happiness into his hectic life, so we felt like the money may be worth it. We will see how it goes over the next year. The only thing we didn't like is that RELOADS ARE NOT ALLOWED. He will have to use his elsewhere. Yes, I can probably get permission from an uncle for my husband and I to practice on his land out near Rose's store, but this membership has so much more to offer and he can do both as a couple of his rifles will not be allowed on the Governor's Gun Range. In a few years we are hoping to buy a couple of acres in the Paulding or Haralson county area to build a new home, so this will work until then or we may decide to keep the membership for life.

ETA: There will also be an archery range opening inside the club for both adult and children. It is currently being built inside the building.

Edited by MsGaStorm, 20 August 2013 - 11:29 PM.

"Either fate IS funny or God has a FANTASTIC sense of humor!!" - Me

"We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

#34 MsGaStorm

MsGaStorm

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

Papi has considered a membership.
Considered is the key word.

Blondie you guys need to go talk to them and take a tour soon before they quit offering the discounts on the memberships. Go up there one day when the owner is in. I will PM you his name. Then just call ahead and ask if he has time to meet with you.

"Either fate IS funny or God has a FANTASTIC sense of humor!!" - Me

"We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

#35 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Is there a cigar store?
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#36 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,598 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Blondie you guys need to go talk to them and take a tour soon before they quit offering the discounts on the memberships. Go up there one day when the owner is in. I will PM you his name. Then just call ahead and ask if he has time to meet with you.

Thanks!

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#37 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,081 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

We have a membership.

Second this! They give a discount to law enforcement too I believe.

Is there a cigar store?

Humidors for cigars. You can store your own but I am not sure about the sale of them.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.........

#38 MTA

MTA

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

I saw a sign out front that said open to public so I stopped by. They are indeed open to non-members and their rates are not out of line. Range time is $12 during non peak time which is until 4PM and $16 after that and on weekends. It is VERY nice. I will be going there soon.

#39 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,796 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

My husband went Monday and enjoyed himself. It is much nicer and closer than the other ranges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics