20 replies to this topic

#1 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

There is an angled hole drilled in the upper part of each side, and a large hole in the bottom, with the top of a plastic water bottle attached to make a funnel for the bees. And a collection jar.

The bee goes in the hole, assuming it is going into a hole drilled as a tunnel entrance by another bee. The critter folds in its wings when it enters the hole, and falls to the bottom before it can unfold its wings to fly.

It then falls through the hole, into the funnel, and into the collection jar. It cannot fly back up through the narrow opeining of the funnel.

They catch some wasps and other bees as well.

$20 with a plastic collection bottle, or $25 with a mason jar.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#2 really gone from here

really gone from here

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Have had mine out for a couple of weeks, have trapped about a dozen so far. They do work !!!
*Signature Edited for Content not in Accordance with the PCOM Rules

edited by Deputy Rafe Hollister

#3 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Our front porch trap filled the bottle this last week. At least 60-70 bees.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#4 really gone from here

really gone from here

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Our front porch trap filled the bottle this last week. At least 60-70 bees.

WOW ! I haven't seen as many as I did last year out my way. Have had some crazy weather, we'll wait and see.

#5 Magic Mommy

Magic Mommy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I want one...but not yet. I have to get video of my kids and dogs playing with the carpenter bees first. The ones around my house seem to "chase" off the wasps and other bees. It likes to "play" with my German Shephard, who tries to catch it. The bee flies in and swoops down close enough for her to snap at it, then flies off, just barely out of reach on the other side of the deck rail. If the dogs are inside, i get the kids to stand perfectly still while the bee comes in really close and checks everything out. If another flying insect comes by, the bee literally chases it off. It is hysterical and happens every single year. I keep promising myself to get it on video, telling the story about it doesn't do it justice. I saw these traps last year and the only reason I didn't buy one is because of the entertainment factor of the carpenter bees!

#6 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,963 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

My husband made some of these for our house...I was dubious at first, but they really do work! Easy to make, too.

#7 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

I want one...but not yet. I have to get video of my kids and dogs playing with the carpenter bees first. The ones around my house seem to "chase" off the wasps and other bees. It likes to "play" with my German Shephard, who tries to catch it. The bee flies in and swoops down close enough for her to snap at it, then flies off, just barely out of reach on the other side of the deck rail. If the dogs are inside, i get the kids to stand perfectly still while the bee comes in really close and checks everything out. If another flying insect comes by, the bee literally chases it off. It is hysterical and happens every single year. I keep promising myself to get it on video, telling the story about it doesn't do it justice. I saw these traps last year and the only reason I didn't buy one is because of the entertainment factor of the carpenter bees!

Actually the box with the holes tends to attract them. Hang it where you have a good shot at them [or at least thats what we do, swatting them with badminton rackets].

That way you still get to express your frustration with their presence by swatting a couple and knocking them across the driveway, and you get to relish those squirming in the collection jar as a victory as well.Posted Image
  • really gone from here and Magic Mommy like this

#8 crazy4boys

crazy4boys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

Where do I get one?

#9 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Where do I get one?

Send me a pm with your contact information. I have 5 or 6 put together that I just need to attach the collection jars to. Do you want a plastic collection bottle [$20] or a mason jar [$25] ?

#10 jdoxakis01

jdoxakis01

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

What do you do with the bees when the collection container gets full? I keep tearing down the nest wasps keep building right outside my front door. Fast little workers they are. My kids are terribly allergic to them so I am constanly worrying about if they will get stung or not.

#11 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

What do you do with the bees when the collection container gets full? I keep tearing down the nest wasps keep building right outside my front door. Fast little workers they are. My kids are terribly allergic to them so I am constanly worrying about if they will get stung or not.

Unscrew the lid and dump the dead bees on the ground.Posted Image

#12 really gone from here

really gone from here

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

If you have wasp problem as well, you can build one of these, the wasp trap does help reduce the population.

http://www.wikihow.c...ake-a-Wasp-Trap

#13 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

If you have wasp problem as well, you can build one of these, the wasp trap does help reduce the population.

http://www.wikihow.c...ake-a-Wasp-Trap

We tend to get 1 or 2 wasps per 10-12 carpenter bees. We do make sure the wasps have died before emptying the trap. They die in a day or 2.

#14 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

For those of you with older houses, or newer Wooden houses, these things really do work.

Our house is all cedar....from the late 70s. Twice we paid, 2 seasons in a row to have the house treated, .....to the tune of $200 plus per year, and they were back the next year in full force.

Last year we hung traps. 3 on the front porch where the worst infestation seemed to be, and 1 in the garage and 1 on the upstairs deck area which is all pressure treated.

By the end of last season we could see a huge reduction in the number of bees we were used to seeing.

This year almost none now. We had 2-3 weeks where we caught a bunch of bees in the traps, and sitting on the front porch today, with the weather in the 80s, we only say a couple of bees, and 2-3 of them went into the traps.

I have 3 left from my last batch. If anyone wants some, let me know. I need to do 25 at a time to make it worthwhile to build then for $25 each with a pint mason jar as the collection vessel. $20 for a plastic water bottle collection container, but I will admit it can be a little bit of a hassle to empty the dead bees out the thin neck of the bottle.

I am willing to build another batch if enough of ya'll want them.

#15 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,963 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

For those of you with older houses, or newer Wooden houses, these things really do work.

Our house is all cedar....from the late 70s. Twice we paid, 2 seasons in a row to have the house treated, .....to the tune of $200 plus per year, and they were back the next year in full force.

Last year we hung traps. 3 on the front porch where the worst infestation seemed to be, and 1 in the garage and 1 on the upstairs deck area which is all pressure treated.

By the end of last season we could see a huge reduction in the number of bees we were used to seeing.

This year almost none now. We had 2-3 weeks where we caught a bunch of bees in the traps, and sitting on the front porch today, with the weather in the 80s, we only say a couple of bees, and 2-3 of them went into the traps.

I have 3 left from my last batch. If anyone wants some, let me know. I need to do 25 at a time to make it worthwhile to build then for $25 each with a pint mason jar as the collection vessel. $20 for a plastic water bottle collection container, but I will admit it can be a little bit of a hassle to empty the dead bees out the thin neck of the bottle.

I am willing to build another batch if enough of ya'll want them.

Why would you even care to empty a .04 cent bottle you could just as easily replace AFTER you benefited from drinking the water/soda inside the bottle?

Sorry...but...you can build these in minutes with scrap lumber. It's a simple wooden box with angled holes drilled in it and a plastic drink bottle attached. As the guy in the video I'm posting below says, you can probably build 10 or more an hour they are so simple to build. It would make a great project to build with kids!

My husband built two for us earlier this spring in less than 1/2 an hour, and we have no more carpenter bees. We actually gave one of ours to a friend last weekend because we no longer need two. We just kept one up for insurance.

At $20 a trap, with a minimum of 25 to "make it worthwhile" to build them, that's about $475 (at least) pure profit. I don't mean to rain on your bee trap parade, but I'm just sayin'.

Build your own. Cheap and easy. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5ExhmaZA8

Edited by TabbyCat, 01 June 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#16 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,455 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Haven't caught any carpenter bees in ours, but it's full of wasps!

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#17 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Why would you even care to empty a .04 cent bottle you could just as easily replace AFTER you benefited from drinking the water/soda inside the bottle?

Sorry...but...you can build these in minutes with scrap lumber. It's a simple wooden box with angled holes drilled in it and a plastic drink bottle attached. As the guy in the video I'm posting below says, you can probably build 10 or more an hour they are so simple to build. It would make a great project to build with kids!

My husband built two for us earlier this spring in less than 1/2 an hour, and we have no more carpenter bees. We actually gave one of ours to a friend last weekend because we no longer need two. We just kept one up for insurance.

At $20 a trap, with a minimum of 25 to "make it worthwhile" to build them, that's about $475 (at least) pure profit. I don't mean to rain on your bee trap parade, but I'm just sayin'.

Build your own. Cheap and easy. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD5ExhmaZA8

Rain RAIN Rain all you want. PLEASE help yourself.

You are more than welcome to build your own. As is anyone else.

There are lots of people out there who don't care to build them, or have the tools.

I have built the jigs to get the angle right on the hole, jigs to hold the pieces while they are glued and bradded.

I have 2-3 left from the last batch. I won't mess with another batch until I have requests for 10-15 to make it worthwhile.

I did 150+ last year and don't expect much repeat business unless they want more traps.

We are only seeing 2 or 3 bees a day, and they end up in the traps.

Oh, and TC....do you make all your own bread ?

Its cheaper and tastes better.

Feta and Mozzarella Cheese ?
Home made is so much cheaper, better, and is more enjoyable than pouring the milk down the drain.

And your soup stocks ? They are made from just scraps.

Change your oil?

Most goods and services, unless requiring very special tools, are cheaper to make yourself.

Unless you would prefer to pay someone to that for you, so you can do something else that provides you more gratification.

For me, I like building the bat houses, bird houses, bee traps, garden benches etc. I don't want to do it 8 hours a day, 5+ days a week,.....but its a nice break to use the tools in my little shop on occaision. And If I make a buck, then its even more fun.
  • The Sound Guy and CreativeOne like this

#18 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,963 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Rain RAIN Rain all you want. PLEASE help yourself.

You are more than welcome to build your own. As is anyone else.

There are lots of people out there who don't care to build them, or have the tools.

I have built the jigs to get the angle right on the hole, jigs to hold the pieces while they are glued and bradded.

I have 2-3 left from the last batch. I won't mess with another batch until I have requests for 10-15 to make it worthwhile.

I did 150+ last year and don't expect much repeat business unless they want more traps.

We are only seeing 2 or 3 bees a day, and they end up in the traps.

Oh, and TC....do you make all your own bread ?

Its cheaper and tastes better.

Feta and Mozzarella Cheese ?
Home made is so much cheaper, better, and is more enjoyable than pouring the milk down the drain.

And your soup stocks ? They are made from just scraps.

Change your oil?

Most goods and services, unless requiring very special tools, are cheaper to make yourself.

Unless you would prefer to pay someone to that for you, so you can do something else that provides you more gratification.

For me, I like building the bat houses, bird houses, bee traps, garden benches etc. I don't want to do it 8 hours a day, 5+ days a week,.....but its a nice break to use the tools in my little shop on occaision. And If I make a buck, then its even more fun.

You seem a bit testy! ;)

Yes, I do make a lot of the bread we eat. We don't eat much eat much, and I happily buy sandwich bread at just over $1 a loaf.

My husband and his family are from Wisconsin, and we are always overstocked with wonderful cheeses brought to us from there.

Yes, I make my own soup stock. Duh.

My husband is adept at changing oil.

I also cook my own food most nights. ;)

There are many things we do not do because we have to, but because they make more sense to do them ourselves than to pay someone else to do them for us. There are some things that I'd rather pay someone to do than be bothered with doing them myself, and I can afford to do that BECAUSE of the things I do that I can and am willing to do.

And such might be the case for people wanting bee traps. If you aren't inclined to make one or two for yourself, it makes sense to have someone else make them for you. But if you are so inclined and have the tools and the common sense to make one or two for yourself, then of course it makes no sense to pay someone $20 to make something you can make yourself for about $2. :)

#19 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

With the exception of TabbyCat, and any other garage carpenter/cabinet makers.....

Is anyone else looking for Bee Traps anytime in the next 2-3 weeks ?

#20 really gone from here

really gone from here

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

With the exception of TabbyCat, and any other garage carpenter/cabinet makers.....

Is anyone else looking for Bee Traps anytime in the next 2-3 weeks ?

Nice...Is that supposed to be a degrading remark??? I made mine...in my garage...and they work just fine.. :glare:

#21 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,745 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Nice...Is that supposed to be a degrading remark??? I made mine...in my garage...and they work just fine.. :glare:

TC expressed their opinion that anyone who would buy something they could make was a few cards short of a full deck.

I am getting ready to make another batch, and am just trying to get a handle on how many....25 or 50.

TC has made their point, but I still know the majority of folks out there really don't want to deal with making their own. I enjoy doing them.

Problem with that ?

I only rue the fact I paid the exterminator 2 years in a row, and large, large amount of money to treat the house so the bees would not come back....and they came back anyway. I did the traps last year, and this year have seen virtually no bees in 2 weeks.

If you have a lot of wood on your house, and are getting tired of seeing sawdust piles, you might want to try these. If you want to make your own, there is plenty of information from Walter Reeves and the State Extension Department on line to show you how to build them.

You should have a forstner bit for the angled hole.

The bees like cedar and other conifer wood. No flakeboard, composite, or hardwoods.

The plastic collection bottles are relatively easy to staple on instead of drilling a mason jar ring, but if really successful, the plastic bottles can be difficult to empty the dead bees out of without damaging them after the 1st season. The plastic brittalizes.

If anyone wants to ask me questions about building them, I am happy to let you know what I have learned, to help you build your own.

If you want to buy mine, send me a pm.

They do work.

They are an "organic" means to dispose of the nasty little critters without bug spray or other house hold treatments.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics