teacherman

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Did not see this posted yet.

Paulding Bowling-Center
We would like to thank everyone for 16 great years! It is true, we are closed permanently as of today. We appreciate your support over the years and all of the great time had at PBC! We would like to suggest Douglasville and never Stars and Strikes for your future bowling fun.

Thank you to ALL!
Education is the brains ammunition against ignorance

If something in someones signature offends you, you are way too thin skinned and probably should not be on the internet,geez.

#2 odie

odie

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

Oh no!!!! I liked this one better than the s&s!

#3 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Oh no!!!! I liked this one better than the s&s!

Me too. Much better. I hate to hear it.
today is tomorrow's yesterday.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#4 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Well that sucks.

#5 lizway

lizway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

This really stinks. What about the leagues? The leagues only have a few weeks until the end. This is so sad. PBC is a paulding landmark. :(

Aw man, I just realized that we had planned on the summer youth/adult league. My kids are going to be extremely disappointed.

#6 Mrs. Avalon

Mrs. Avalon

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Stars and Strikes is so much louder and more expensive!!! Crap!!!!!!
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.

#7 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Stars and Strikes is so much louder and more expensive!!! Crap!!!!!!

Agreed! It's way too loud! Hate it.
today is tomorrow's yesterday.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#8 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Paulding Bowling-Center
We would like to thank everyone for 16 great years! It is true, we are closed permanently as of today. We appreciate your support over the years and all of the great time had at PBC! We would like to suggest Douglasville and never Stars and Strikes for your future bowling fun.

Thank you to ALL!

Am I reading that right, they said "never" go to Stars and Strikes?

#9 Dana

Dana

PEACE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Agreed! It's way too loud! Hate it.

Can't stand Stars and strikes either!
There but for the grace of God, go I.

#10 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Paulding Bowling-Center

Thank you to ALL!

OOOHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO, that is where we have had the Special Olympics with my granddaughter for the last 2 years. :(

#11 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,427 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

yep

#12 ~Chester~

~Chester~

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

They said to never use Stars and Strikes because they are probably the primary reason they went out of business.

I went to Paulding Bowling once probably 5-6 years ago was not very impressed it was very old and needed a serious remodeling.

#13 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

They said to never use Stars and Strikes because they are probably the primary reason they went out of business.

I thought I read it that way. In my opinion, that was a sour grapes apology. Go out with some class....geez.
  • myrlin, momof 3, ~*Kim*~ and 2 others like this

#14 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

I thought I read it that way. In my opinion, that was a sour grapes apology. Go out with some class....geez.

I agree.

#15 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,258 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

I think it sad they have closed.

Paulding Bowling Center always fulfilled their obligations with the highest ethics. Given their business ethics and my experiences, I wouldn't be critical of their parting shot.

pubby

#16 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

Paulding Bowling Center always fulfilled their obligations with the highest ethics. Given their business ethics and my experiences, I wouldn't be critical of their parting shot.

pubby

Sorry Pubby. I've got to disagree with you.

Someone once said something to the effect of "No one remembers how you came, but everyone remembers how you left".

Of course they were referring to a job, but in my opinion the same applies here. In my opinion they did not close due to Stars and Strike's actions, they closed due to their own failure to act in a manner that encouraged new customers to enter.

I'll go as far as saying I think it's inexcusable to encourage people to take their dollars to the next county when our local economy needs these dollars so badly.

Edited by mojo413, 27 March 2013 - 04:10 AM.

• momof 3, spacey74 and brown*eyed*girl like this
I Support Job Creation.
I Support Industrial Expansion.
I Oppose Commercial Air Service.
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#17 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

pubby

I started to say I felt so boldly about my opinion, I posted it twice.

However the truth is, I posted it twice and don't know how to take this one down.

Maybe God is telling me I would not not be any better as a bowling operator as I am a poster.

Sorry Pubby. I've got to disagree with you.

Someone once said something to the effect of "No one remembers how you came, but everyone remembers how you left".

Of course they were referring to a job, but in my opinion the same applies here. In my opinion they did not close due to Stars and Strike's actions, they closed due to their own failure to act in a manner that encouraged new customers to enter.

Edited by mojo413, 27 March 2013 - 04:29 AM.

I Support Job Creation.
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#18 ksee4

ksee4

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hate that they closed too. The other place is way to loud and crazy!!!! Hard to enjoy with all the craziness. What about the balls that are waiting to be drilled or orders that have been placed and waiting on arrivals????? Are they still finishing those out?

LIVE TODAY TO IT'S FULLEST CAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT TOMORROW WILL BRING

#19 ChocoMare

ChocoMare

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

Sorry to hear they're closing, but like others said, they were doomed because they refused to invest the capital to improve & update the facilities, increase signage (cuz if you didn't know they were there, you'd missed it every time) and to offer more open bowling opportunities, not just leagues.

So don't blame the competition and take pot shots.... take & accept responsibility.
  • mrshoward, momof 3 and spacey74 like this
"Without God, not one step. With Him....anywhere!" Dr. David Livingstone

#20 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

I had to read that 2x also... I guess stars and Strikes did not help the paulding bowling business. I have never been to S&S.
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#21 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,427 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

My husband was there on Sunday (as usual) and they didn't mention they were closing. I wonder if the employees were told beforehand :unsure:

#22 zoo

zoo

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

I have to agree with pubby on this one....

and as far as the updated/etc...I for one like the small/old time feel and honestly by keeping it the same is how they could afford to keep prices what they were. With a large family it actually made going bowling possible, we didnt care the size/updates....we went to stars and strikes once, not only was it so over priced our trip had to be short, people allowed to walk around with alcoholic beverages is a bad idea. My child was playing ski ball and the person playing next to him (walking around with a glass of alcohol) was so intoxicated she kept spilling her beverage on my son and his ski ball machine. I realized then, stars and strikes wasnt for our family :/
  • Jetasmom and Dana like this

#23 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,603 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Sorry to hear they're closing, but like others said, they were doomed because they refused to invest the capital to improve & update the facilities, increase signage (cuz if you didn't know they were there, you'd missed it every time) and to offer more open bowling opportunities, not just leagues.

So don't blame the competition and take pot shots.... take & accept responsibility.

That was probably their biggest problem - letting people know they were there and getting them to come in.

S&S is at one of the busier intersections in the county. Paulding Bowling was on a back road, all but invisible to most of the local residents.
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#24 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,618 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Maybe it was just me- But I think that message was sour. They should have left that last sentence off. I get some may not like S&S, but many do. Why put down another business on your away message? Not a good way to leave IMO

#25 Marteen-J

Marteen-J

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

so, i guess all my bowling coupons are not valid anymore?

good thing i used a credit card, i will have to get a refund at living social

#26 Veritas

Veritas

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

I will add my voice to those who felt that this farewell was sour grapes and less than gracious. The business may well have been run honestly, but the farewell post here certainly was nothing impressive.

I only went into the place once, years ago. Unfortunately, the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming and I turned around and left. This was just before the state passed its smoking in restaurants, etc. law, so I don't know if that impacted the bowling alley; I would think that it would, since food was sold there. But I am not a bowler, anyway.

#27 brown*eyed*girl

brown*eyed*girl

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

I too am sad to hear they have closed. I'll admit though we haven't been there in years. Yes we go to S & S's and that is mainly because everytime I turn around one of my kids has come home with a coupon for a free $5 game card. Not to mention with PTA memberships at all the schools my kids attend and have attended you get one of those $5 cards. I hate to waste "free" coupons myself. Also they have great prices if you go at certain times. I would never go there without a coupon or to take advantage of a special rate.

I don't necessarily think the PBC needed to update their look but they did need to keep reminding people they were there. We don't go to S&S as often as we used to but they are right there and we always have a coupon for when company comes, usually several coupons.

I still think of PCB as nice people and while I understand they may feel bitter toward S&S they did lose a bit of respect in my eyes for that last sentence. Best of luck to the owners on their next endeavor.

#28 teacherman

teacherman

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

PBC refused to spend the capitol to upgrade and compete. In business you either adapt or die. They have nobody to blame but themselves.
  • Lady Raider, spacey74, unourroll and 1 other like this
Education is the brains ammunition against ignorance

If something in someones signature offends you, you are way too thin skinned and probably should not be on the internet,geez.

#29 Jetasmom

Jetasmom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Well, I am very sad to see them go. Maybe they could have tried hard to bring in more customers, but either way another Paulding County business is gone. Times are hard on every one.

And I have never been to S & S and don't plan on going. Too loud, alcohol in a business that caters to children and teens just doesn't mix well with me + I've heard it's loud and pricey.

I liked the atmosphere and the old time feel to the place. My son and his buds went there often. You will be missed.
Formally Jetsmom - edited to finally include the final baby's initial. ;)

#30 GeorgiaTornado

GeorgiaTornado

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

PBC sold alcohol too... so it's not just S&S. I went to PBC back last year... was not impressed.

I will tell you that most businesses around town allow the mentally and physically handicap adults to come for free... I'm talking about Movies 278 allow the workers to bring their clients to the movies and allow them to watch the movies for free. The bowling lanes on Austell Road do the same. PBC wanted to charge them so they take them all the way to Marietta for bowling. For this main reason I would never spend my money there. I even told the manager at the lanes that. We only go to Brunswick on Austell Road.

Now, I'm not talking about 25-50 people bowling for free every day...or even every week. I'm only talking about 2-3 nentally handicap adults and their caretaker who doesn't bowl.

Stars and Strike has wayyy to many kids who are dropped off and their parents think its a babysitting station.

#31 Jetasmom

Jetasmom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

PBC sold alcohol too... so it's not just S&S. I went to PBC back last year... was not impressed.

I will tell you that most businesses around town allow the mentally and physically handicap adults to come for free... I'm talking about Movies 278 allow the workers to bring their clients to the movies and allow them to watch the movies for free. The bowling lanes on Austell Road do the same. PBC wanted to charge them so they take them all the way to Marietta for bowling. For this main reason I would never spend my money there. I even told the manager at the lanes that. We only go to Brunswick on Austell Road.

Now, I'm not talking about 25-50 people bowling for free every day...or even every week. I'm only talking about 2-3 nentally handicap adults and their caretaker who doesn't bowl.

Stars and Strike has wayyy to many kids who are dropped off and their parents think its a babysitting station.

Another reason I wouldn't go to S & S.
Formally Jetsmom - edited to finally include the final baby's initial. ;)

#32 ~Chester~

~Chester~

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Which is why I go there while the kiddos are still in school.

99cent bowling on Wednesday. I like that S&S opens very early.

As others have mentioned another reason PBC could not compete was location.

#33 unourroll

unourroll

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

i dont know why they closed but i would assume chains and locks on the doors is not a good thing.( as was posted on many peoples facebook accounts) the bashing of other paulding business in the post does not help either. this is probaly the reasons why they closed poor business ethics. as far as the pro shop and other personal belongings , i guess the owner could tell you this information. but like i said before chains and locks are not a good thing. I hope for the league bowlers your prize fund will still be returned at the current standings.

as far as stars n strikes goes. i bowl there and i can say i dont notice the noise when im bowling. this place is catered to the entire family. just like sparkles. and if you visit other bowling center the majority of them are starting to adapt to the game room / resturant. i was informed Delk road is going to be remodled just for this reason so you can expect others to follow suite.

weather you like S&S is a matter of your personal choice.

#34 mkmomto3j

mkmomto3j

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

If they are closed, why was the parking lot full of cars this evening? I drive by daily on my way home and around 7pm tonight when I came by, parking lot was about 1/2 full of vehicles.

#35 happynana

happynana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

If they are closed, why was the parking lot full of cars this evening? I drive by daily on my way home and around 7pm tonight when I came by, parking lot was about 1/2 full of vehicles.

I was going to ask the same thing! The parking lot was extremely full!

#36 chrism

chrism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

1364430574[/url]' post='3785478']

I passed by about the same time and thought the same. No closed sign or anything.

#37 mojo413

mojo413

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

Paulding Bowling-Center

Thank you to ALL!

Hopefully Pubby will issue a report today.

I'm wondering...
False report?
Premature report?
I Support Job Creation.
John Hyden
770-366-1552

#38 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,603 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

The OP didn't give a source for the statement he posted.

The simple solution would be for anyone with a few minutes to call the business and if someone answers, to ask them, then report back here.
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#39 Media Man

Media Man

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Their website isn't up anymore. I was getting prices last Sunday and it was working then.

www.pbcbowl.com

#40 DiehardKy

DiehardKy

Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Bowling Alleys dont have their mojo. When I was a kid the bowling alley was my favorite hangout. Where have all the pinball machines gone? Where is the attached bar and pool hall? Where is the lunch counter with those thick crunchy fries that you can only find at the bowling alley?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics