9 replies to this topic

#1 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

I am not sure how many of use the Georgia Archives but currently it stays open just 2 days a week. The Georgia Vault has an online server but it is down so you cant access that. This is one of the taxpayer services I actually use. If you are interested in the archives please contact the Secretary of State Brian Kemp and let him know closing the archives is a bad idea especially if you claim to support education. Access to Georgia's historical records is vital.

http://www.bizjourna...-to-budget.html

http://www.sos.georgia.gov/
"Let every dog wag his own tail." James Addison McMurtrey, Company B, 9th Georgia Battalion Artillery

#2 confederaterose

confederaterose

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

As I understand, it will be open by appointment only.

I think what we really need is a new Secretary of State. I think Brian Kemp has made the most poor decisions of any Sect. of State to date.

I called his office last week to complain. Guess what the person I spoke to, spoke so poor English that I could not make her understand what I was complaining about and I am clueless as what she was trying to say to me. I finally just hung up on her.

#3 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thank you for responding. I got a robo-response from the governor and I will be calling too.
"Let every dog wag his own tail." James Addison McMurtrey, Company B, 9th Georgia Battalion Artillery

#4 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'm of the opinion that we have some of the worst state politicians in the country.

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#5 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact our office about the eminent public closure of the Georgia Archives.

First, let me assure you that this was a measure of last resort.

The Governorís Office of Planning and Budget has required that our Office further reduce its budget for the upcoming year by 3% ($732,626). As has been the case for the past two years in this challenging budget environment, these cuts do not eliminate excess in the Agency. They require the Agency to reduce services to the citizens of Georgia.

We have tried to protect the services that the agency provides in support of putting people to work, starting small businesses, and providing public safety. Furthermore, the elections functions of the Agency are mandated by state and federal statute, making budget reductions illegal.

While Archives does provide a great service to the citizens of Georgia, the department only generates a fraction of the revenue that it costs to operate. We simply do not have the money to keep it open to the public, but will honor open records request and make sure we are always in full legal compliance.

I will fight during this legislative session to have this cut restored so the people will have a place to meet, research, and review the historical records of Georgia. I would ask for your help in this matter by contacting your state legislators and asking them to restore funding to the Georgia Archives. If you do not know how to contact your legislators, you can locate them at here: http://www1.legis.ga...dLegislator.htm

Sincerely,

Brian P. Kemp

Jared S. Thomas
Press Secretary
Brian P. Kemp, Secretary of State
214 State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30330
404-656-4269 phone
404-656-0513 fax

#6 Bunkys dad

Bunkys dad

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

As I understand, it will be open by appointment only.

I think what we really need is a new Secretary of State. I think Brian Kemp has made the most poor decisions of any Sect. of State to date.

I called his office last week to complain. Guess what the person I spoke to, spoke so poor English that I could not make her understand what I was complaining about and I am clueless as what she was trying to say to me. I finally just hung up on her.

I am sure this is going to take the conversation go down hill but here goes.....Speaking POOR English can be a benefit and convenient. I am not accusing any ethnic group or individuals but it is true.I have seen it first hand and I have supervised people who spoke great English until it was something they did not WANT to understand. Funny the requirement to be hired was the ability to read, write, speak, understand and perform math calculations on at least and 8th grade level. They all were bery very proficient and could even read very technical medical procedures, until it was something they did not want to do. In fact my employees were from three different countries and all of them pulled the same thing. Sorry to hijack but felt it was relevant

#7 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

I talked to a young lady and she got this email sent. Maybe it was one of those off days.

And if I don't correct my grammar and spelling I might be out of a job.

Edited by barrycdog, 14 September 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#8 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Gotta cut somewhere....the money is just not out there anymore.

#9 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Why not cut some senators and representative pay?
  • lowrider likes this

#10 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,850 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Why not cut some senators and representative pay?

Well...since the representatives only make $17k per year I am not sure how that would help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics