#1 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

http://books.google....georgia&f=false

A Preliminary Report on a Part of the Gold Deposits of Georgia, Issue 4, Part 1 By William Smith Yeates, Samuel Washington McCallie, Francis Plaisted King

Chapter XVI Paulding County
By S.W. McCallie Assitand Geologist

The Dahlonega Gold Belt traverses the northwestern portion of Paulding, County where it has been extensively prospected on the bBurnt Hickory Ridge and in the vicinity of Yorkville. Through the southeastern part of the county, passes the carrol County Belt, which has been worked as a placer, along the trinbutaries of Sweetwater Creek...

The Sheffield and Heidt Property, This property lot 656 , 3rd district situated on Burnt Hickory Ridge, near Huntsville in a small stream being worked for placer deposits. Vein exposed along the ridge.

The Hodges Property consists of lot 655 3rd District with two shafts 40 to 50 feet deep about 100 feet from each other.

The Hobbs Mine located on lot 713 3rd District, adjoining the Sheffield and Heidt Property. Has shafts from 10 to 50 feet deep yeilding an average of $20 dollars per ton.

The Dunnaway Property - Situated on the Burnt Hickory Ridge, about three miles northeast of Huntsville near the Cartersville road prospected about 4 years ago by Alfred Johnson with 4 shafts from 20 to 150 feet. Ore was of a ppor grade.

The Michigan Gold Mining Company began placer mining in 1895 tow miles southwest of Huntsville on a small stream near Racoon Creek

The Matthews Property - Located at lot 108 3rd district about 4 miles north of McPherson. Small stream flowing to Racoon Creek

The Austin Mines lot 984 2nd District seven miles Southeast of Dallas several miles along a stream

Dr. G.T. Parkers property lot 410 2nd District abundant but did not pay to work.

The Yorkville Mine lot 331 19th District Gold found in a small stream in 1855

The Barton Propety J.B. Bartons Property Lots 334 and 369 , 19th District lying southwest of the Yorkville Mine and worked for gold in 1856 up till 1880 . Similar prospecting done in the Singleton, Dinson, McGarity properties on lots 366.488.694, and 979 in the same district.

Edited by barrycdog, 03 August 2012 - 06:07 PM.

"Let every dog wag his own tail." James Addison McMurtrey, Company B, 9th Georgia Battalion Artillery

#2 cobb transplant

cobb transplant

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

I've been meaning to ask some the Paulding natives (as in family goes back generations) if any of them were gold miners. ?

#3 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 26,347 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

http://books.google.com/books?id=UPIrAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=GOLD+MINes+in+georgia&source=bl&ots=0ag166lc4x&sig=KKY14K29JsMjrPhCCY8d_XLe2eg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GkkcUKiFPOXs0gHb8YGgCg&ved=0CEoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=GOLD%20MINes%20in%20georgia&f=false

A Preliminary Report on a Part of the Gold Deposits of Georgia, Issue 4, Part 1 By William Smith Yeates, Samuel Washington McCallie, Francis Plaisted King

Chapter XVI Paulding County
By S.W. McCallie Assitand Geologist

The Dahlonega Gold Belt traverses the northwestern portion of Paulding, County where it has been extensively prospected on the bBurnt Hickory Ridge and in the vicinity of Yorkville. Through the southeastern part of the county, passes the carrol County Belt, which has been worked as a placer, along the trinbutaries of Sweetwater Creek...

The Sheffield and Heidt Property, This property lot 656 , 3rd district situated on Burnt Hickory Ridge, near Huntsville in a small stream being worked for placer deposits. Vein exposed along the ridge.

The Hodges Property consists of lot 655 3rd District with two shafts 40 to 50 feet deep about 100 feet from each other.

The Hobbs Mine located on lot 713 3rd District, adjoining the Sheffield and Heidt Property. Has shafts from 10 to 50 feet deep yeilding an average of $20 dollars per ton.

The Dunnaway Property - Situated on the Burnt Hickory Ridge, about three miles northeast of Huntsville near the Cartersville road prospected about 4 years ago by Alfred Johnson with 4 hafts from 20 to 150 feet. Ore was of a ppor grade.

The Michigan Gold Mining Company began placer mining in 1895 tow miles southwest of Huntsville on a small stream near Racoon Creek

The Matthews Property - Located at lot 108 3rd district about 4 miles north of McPherson. Small stream flowing to Racoon Creek

The Austin Mines lot 984 2nd District seven miles Southeast of Dallas several miles along a stream

Dr. G.T. Parkers property lot 410 2nd District abundant but did not pay to work.

The Yorkville Mine lot 331 19th District Gold found in a small stream in 1855

The Barton Propety J.B. Bartons Property Lots 334 and 369 , 19th District lying southwest of the Yorkville Mine and worked for gold in 1856 up till 1880 . Similar prospecting done in the Singleton, Dinson, McGarity properties on lots 366.488.694, and 979 in the same district.

I believe my subdivision is on some of this property. JJ would probably know for sure. We have a good showing of white quartz all through the subdivision.
I would not be surprised if our area would not produce with modern mining techniques.

#4 Johnny Jacobs

Johnny Jacobs

A Good Old Boy

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,598 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

I believe my subdivision is on some of this property. JJ would probably know for sure. We have a good showing of white quartz all through the subdivision.
I would not be surprised if our area would not produce with modern mining techniques.

LPPT, y'all are in Burnt Hickory Estates. Your side is where The Dunaway Property was - Situated on the Burnt Hickory Ridge, about three miles northeast of Huntsville near the Cartersville road prospected about 4 years ago by Alfred Johnson with 4 shafts from 20 to 150 feet. Ore was of a poor grade.

Susan Tant, my 4 great-aunt, was the second wife of William Dunaway, owner of The Dunaway Gold Mine.
The comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
---George Eliot

If I have earned your trust, then I am responsible for keeping that trust intact.
---JohnnyJ

#5 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

http://freepages.gen...ulding Lots.jpg

Here is a lot map of the county. It is too large to display

Edited by barrycdog, 04 August 2012 - 08:40 PM.

"Let every dog wag his own tail." James Addison McMurtrey, Company B, 9th Georgia Battalion Artillery

#6 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 26,347 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

LPPT, y'all are in Burnt Hickory Estates. Your side is where The Dunaway Property was - Situated on the Burnt Hickory Ridge, about three miles northeast of Huntsville near the Cartersville road prospected about 4 years ago by Alfred Johnson with 4 shafts from 20 to 150 feet. Ore was of a poor grade.

Susan Tant, my 4 great-aunt, was the second wife of William Dunaway, owner of The Dunaway Gold Mine.

Will still watch were I am walking up here, wasn't there a story about a man that stumped his toe on one of the biggest nuggets ever found :lol:

#7 guntrucker

guntrucker

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

I've been meaning to ask some the Paulding natives (as in family goes back generations) if any of them were gold miners. ?

My Grandfather told me that he had worked in one of the goldmine in
yorkville before 1916.

#8 Johnny Jacobs

Johnny Jacobs

A Good Old Boy

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,598 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

William E Tant, Jr (distant cousin) lived across from what is now A & R 1845 to 1875. There were 4 gold mines within walking distance but he never found any and it nearly drove him crazy.

3 Great-grandfather Archibald Walraven owned a gold mine in Lumpkin County that his sons worked...three of whom died at an early age due to mercury poisioning.
My grandfather told of knowing where to get a little gold...but he would rather farm.
The comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
---George Eliot

If I have earned your trust, then I am responsible for keeping that trust intact.
---JohnnyJ

#9 Gone

Gone

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

While out metal detecting for the war of northern aggression,I have come across a few mine shafts.

#10 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

GOLD IN PAULDING.: The Discovery of a Rich Vein Causes Great Excitement.
The Atlanta Constitution (1881-1945); Feb 15, 1894;
ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Atlanta Constitution (1868-1945)
Page 2

Gold in Paulding
The Discovery of a Rich Vein Causes great excitement.

Rome, Georgia February 14 ( special) the discovery of rich gold deposits in Paulding County, some 30 miles east of Rome has caused a great deal of excitement in that neighborhood. The report here is that the development of a surface vein has shown wonderful deposits and thrown the neighborhood into a fever. Several citizens of Paulding are here today and confirm the report.

Interest in minerals of all kings is at a high pitch, and many inquireies are recieved daily from abroad asking after the rich deposits in this section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics