25 replies to this topic

#1 weezerd

weezerd

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Did anybody try the Totopos, the new mexican restaurant where Beef O'Brady's used to be? We went in after open house at the school last night, it wasnt pretty. The wait to get a table wouldnt have been unusual for a Saturday night (about 20 minutes), but the wait times after that were EXTREME. We finally had to cancel our order and leave in order to get the kids home and in bed at a reasonable time. As we were leaving, the manager came to talk with us, nice guy, very apologetic, I just think they underestimated the impact a good sit down restaurant would have in that area. We will give them a week or two to work out the kinks and try it again.

I hope they survive, I would LOVE to have a good Mexican restaurant so close to home.

#2 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,432 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

I did not know they were open yet... Thanks I have been waiting to try them..
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#3 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Ok, so here is the review:

We arrived at 7:10pm and the place was packed. We were told it would be about 30 minutes. As it was opening night, we decided to wait. There were three of us so we were able to keep entertained for the time. I asked the hostess some questions and she was very nice and helpful. The restaurant is called Totopos and (pronounced ToTo-Poe's), and they have completely remodeled from the old Beef OBradys and the place has a great atmosphere. They have only been open since about 3pm today.

We waited about the 30 minutes we were told and sat at a large booth that could have sat 6 comfortably. Due to it being the first day we waited a good while for service. The chips and salsa came out immediately and the salsa has a good bit of bite to it. The chips are the multicolored slightly thicker chips, but were not heavily salted which was great because I cannot have too much sodium. I bought a frozen texas margarita, my wife got a texas margarita on the rocks, and my friend got a strawberry frozen margarita. They were all GREAT and were super strong. We ordered a cheese dip which came out piping hot and was delicious as well.

As for dinner I ordered a combo, my wife did a taco salad, and my friend had some cheese burritos. I thought it was all delicious, hot, and large portions. My only issue was the amount of time it took for everything, but I think it was solely because it was opening day. We did not get out of there until about 9pm.

We will definitely be going back, but waiting about a week or two until they get the kinks out. I would say it was better than the others around New Hope and Crossroads area, but still not better than La Parilla, not yet.

Follow me on TWITTER: @Wayner83

#4 kvncrdn

kvncrdn

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

I work in a restaurant in Hiram and we were very caught off guard with how busy we were last night. Looking back we have been on open house nights. So I am sure they had no idea that they would be that busy there first night and that they were caught off guard with it being open house night for the schools. I think we are gonna try them today.

#5 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Sweet! We will wait a few weeks and then try it.
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#6 TJB

TJB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

We don't have enough Mexican restaurants in Paulding. :rolleyes:

#7 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,432 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Ok, so here is the review:

We arrived at 7:10pm and the place was packed. We were told it would be about 30 minutes. As it was opening night, we decided to wait. There were three of us so we were able to keep entertained for the time. I asked the hostess some questions and she was very nice and helpful. The restaurant is called Totopos and (pronounced ToTo-Poe's), and they have completely remodeled from the old Beef OBradys and the place has a great atmosphere. They have only been open since about 3pm today.

We waited about the 30 minutes we were told and sat at a large booth that could have sat 6 comfortably. Due to it being the first day we waited a good while for service. The chips and salsa came out immediately and the salsa has a good bit of bite to it. The chips are the multicolored slightly thicker chips, but were not heavily salted which was great because I cannot have too much sodium. I bought a frozen texas margarita, my wife got a texas margarita on the rocks, and my friend got a strawberry frozen margarita. They were all GREAT and were super strong. We ordered a cheese dip which came out piping hot and was delicious as well.

As for dinner I ordered a combo, my wife did a taco salad, and my friend had some cheese burritos. I thought it was all delicious, hot, and large portions. My only issue was the amount of time it took for everything, but I think it was solely because it was opening day. We did not get out of there until about 9pm.

We will definitely be going back, but waiting about a week or two until they get the kinks out. I would say it was better than the others around New Hope and Crossroads area, but still not better than La Parilla, not yet.

:good:
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#8 weezerd

weezerd

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I think we will be back, it seems a good place and everybody I have heard from says the food is good. I really think they just underestimated how much people around New Hope were looking forward to a new place to eat. That together with how many people were out and about due to the schools having open house was enough to overwhelm them.

No, our first experience wasnt the greatest, but I am willing to give them a second try

#9 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,112 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

We don't have enough Mexican restaurants in Paulding. :rolleyes:

Las Palmas, in Cartersville is my weekly, most of the time. It is the best I've been to.
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#10 Keepnupw/theJones'

Keepnupw/theJones'

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

My family visited tonight. Good service and good food. Still have a few new restaurant kinks to work out--but thought they did a great job. The owner is a very nice guy from what I've met/seen of him. Love haveing another choice close to home to eat. Wish them all the luck on the place.

#11 Keepnupw/theJones'

Keepnupw/theJones'

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

My family visited tonight. Good service and good food. Still have a few new restaurant kinks to work out--but thought they did a great job. The owner is a very nice guy from what I've met/seen of him. Love haveing another choice close to home to eat. Wish them all the luck on the place.

#12 FarAwayGranny

FarAwayGranny

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

We went to today around 4:00. Perfect timing as there was only about 10 other customers there. Place was filling up when we left around 5:00.

Awesome atmosphere, nice staff, GREAT food.(Hubby had fajitas. I had fajita nachos.) Good prices.

As one poster stated, the chips are multi-colored and not too salty. Salsa is good with a little "kick." They were quick to refill our chips when we were starting to run empty. *grin* Ordered frozen margarita but the machine was not ready. (sigh)

They told me that they did indeed underestimate last night's response. They had no idea why Beef O'Brady's didn't make it. (This didn't make sense to me...why would you invest in an area where another restaurant didn't make it without finding out the reasons for failure?) I quickly told them it was the management (or lack of) and the cleanliness of the establishment. They assured me that it will not be a problem with them. Note: I mentioned that when you have staff standing around twiddling thumbs that they should instead be cleaning front doors and windows, etc. I noticed that right after that the hostess was cleaning the front door. LOL

I, too, don't think they realized how much New Hope needs a good restaurant with good management and cleanliness. (without mentioning names: across the street leaves much to be desired in that area. Around the corner is fairly good but I have from time to time had some issues there with service and cleanliness.)

Also, informed them that Paulding.com is a good advertising source for them as well as an indicator of how well they are doing...LOL...because we are very quick to give our opinions. I imagine they'll be on here soon.

All in all, I would rate 95% good since it was only their 2nd day in business. There were several employees standing around behind our booth "horsing" around prior to more customers coming in (and manager walked by them several times) and I wasn't too keen on that otherwise, they'd get a 98% from me.

We will definitely be going back to try them again.

Edited by FarAwayGranny, 31 July 2012 - 09:51 PM.

• Wineguy likes this

#13 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

My favorite comment about this new restaurant was from "momof3" who said; "I like my mexican restuarants to be within stumbling distance of home".
Funny, funny, funny.
"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#14 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,353 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

I'm glad that's not an empty space anymore, however if I never eat mexican food again, I'm ok with that. :pardon:
Posted Image

#15 Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

We decided to try it for dinner. After waiting a few minutes for the hostess to take our name, we were told it would be a 30 minute wait, despite the fact that they have a bunch of empty tables. The wait is because the kitchen is behind, so they're not seating tables. I'm not sure I understand that rationale... Make hungry guests stand outside instead of seating us at empty tables, giving us some chips and salsa, and letting us run up a drink tab. I hope these are kinks that will get worked out over time, because if this continues, I'm not sure they are going to last very long. And that would be a shame.
THE LAW OFFICE OF JEANNE O'HALLERAN, LLC

Civil Litigation
Family Law: Divorce, Adoption, Child Support, Paternity/Legitimation
Adult Guardianships
Wills/Trusts

#16 Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Update: we decided to wait and finally got food an hour and a half later. Not bad, but nothing special. Not worth the higher prices though.
THE LAW OFFICE OF JEANNE O'HALLERAN, LLC

Civil Litigation
Family Law: Divorce, Adoption, Child Support, Paternity/Legitimation
Adult Guardianships
Wills/Trusts

#17 Wineguy

Wineguy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Update: we decided to wait and finally got food an hour and a half later. Not bad, but nothing special. Not worth the higher prices though.

I thought the prices were good. We got cheese dip, three meals, three texas margaritas and it was $40. I cannot complain about that at all. As long as they can speed it up some, I will definitely be a regular.

Follow me on TWITTER: @Wayner83

#18 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

My favorite comment about this new restaurant was from "momof3" who said; "I like my mexican restuarants to be within stumbling distance of home".
Funny, funny, funny.

There must be 2 momof3's on Pcom, cause I don't drink and didn't say that. But I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it. :)

#19 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

There must be 2 momof3's on Pcom, cause I don't drink and didn't say that. But I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it. :)

Sorry about that, someone said it and I thought it was funny.

Edited by stradial, 01 August 2012 - 08:55 PM.

"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#20 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

Sorry about that, someone said it and I thought it was funny.

No problem, I found it. http://paulding.com/...1#entry3660010. It was another funny gal on Pcom. Post #28.

#21 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

No problem, I found it. http://paulding.com/...1#entry3660010. It was another funny gal on Pcom. Post #28.

Thank you, I knew it was a mom of some kind. :)
I took it as a joke, I am sure it was.

#22 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,574 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Guilty. I don't drink often, so 1 margarita will knock me on my butt. That is why I like to be in staggering distance of the house :blush:

#23 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

Guilty. I don't drink often, so 1 margarita will knock me on my butt. That is why I like to be in staggering distance of the house :blush:

I don't drink at all, but it was a funny line.
I have repeated it to quite a few people and all got a huge kick out of it.

Appologies to momof3 for incorrectly having her stumbling home and to Happy Wife and Mom for not giving her the credit for the quote.

Edited by stradial, 02 August 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#24 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

I don't drink at all, but it was a funny line.
I have repeated it to quite a few people and all got a huge kick out of it.

Appologies to momof3 for incorrectly having her stumbling home and to Happy Wife and Mom for not giving her the credit for the quote.

:good:

#25 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,574 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

No biggie stradial...You know all of us moms look alike :lol:

#26 hoohaa

hoohaa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

We went at 7 pm last night. I am sooo happy to have a new place to eat so close to home! I want this to be a good experience!!!

We were told 20 minute wait. Looking inside, table after table was empty. We FINALLY persuaded them to seat us at one of the ten empty booths (it was HOT in the foyer!). We got good service, but most every item we asked for they were out of, i.e. coconut shrimp, and basic things like ice... They had to send out to Publix for ice... Hubby's plate came to the table cold. He is not a fan of cold enchiladas. Margaritas were good, but not listed on the menu so the price was anyone's guess cause the server was clueless.

Here's the scoop. Most all of the kitchen help came from La Parilla. They have basically the same menu items and a few new ones to learn, but the Special #6 at La Parilla is different than the Special # 6 at this new place, so this one thing that is throwing the kitchen staff off their game. The kitchen is buried in tickets trying to fill orders and the wait staff is being told not to seat people until the kitchen can catch up. Um, wait to place an order for menu food you don't have in stock and it's only your 4th day open, wait for cold food you do have? Order margaritas and wait to see what you charge us?

The kitchen problems are a major issue that need to be remedied. You have a room full of empty tables and booths and a line of patrons waiting out the door and you won't seat paying customers who've come there to eat cause the kitchen is overwhelmed?!!!??

I hope they work out the kinks or get it together.

I like the location, and the margaritas. $24.00 for a large pitcher of Texas Margaritas, because either you order a small glass margarita for an unknown amount or you order a pitcher.... Other than that, I will wait to see if they get their act together before wasting my money or time waiting in line again.
:pardon:
"Oh, and know that I'm not agreeing with you. Anybody got a drumstick? pubby"

“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics