30 replies to this topic

#1 CrabbyDaddy

CrabbyDaddy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm sure there has been a thread about this before but I'm just to lazy to search for it. Just curious what you have to do to get a road named after you. Reminds me of Cynthia McKinney.
>~{••}~<

#2 GGinGA

GGinGA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I always thought they named roads and bridges after dead people. I guess not. Carruth is alive and kicking. I'm not sure how that works. Maybe a family requests it ??

Edited by GGinGA, 03 July 2012 - 08:07 AM.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

If stress burned calories, I'd be a supermodel.

The Water Giver: "Motherhood is about raising and celebrating the child you have, not the child you thought you'd have. It's about understanding he's exactly the person he's supposed to be. And if you're lucky, he might be the teacher who turns you into the person you're supposed to be."

#3 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,618 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Maybe there is an older generation Bill Carruth, Maybe they owned all that land, hmmmm maybe lol

#4 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,618 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Bill Carruth Parkway, formerly known as West Hiram Parkway, originally known as Egg Farm Road

this is all I have found

#5 InLA

InLA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

I'd like to make a motion that we pick a name for 278 and stick with it. I just refer to it now as 278 because I don't know when it's Thronton Road, Wendy Bagwell road, C.H. James Parkway, Jimmy Lee Smith, Jimmy Campbell, Rockmart Highway etc....I have never lived anywhere that has so many names for one road as it is here in Georgia.

I realize this has nothing to do with Bill Carruth, but it just made me think about one of my biggest irritations with the State of Georgia.

Edited by kwood, 03 July 2012 - 08:22 AM.

• Blondiega1, Paulding Yankee, GGinGA and 3 others like this

#6 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,618 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

I'd like to make a motion that we pick a name for 278 and stick with it. I just refer to it now as 278 because I don't know when it's Thronton Road, Wendy Bagwell road, C.H. James Parkway, Jimmy Lee Smith, Jimmy Campbell, Rockmart Highway etc....I have never lived anywhere that has so many names for one road as it is here in Georgia.

I realize this has nothing to do with Bill Carruth, but it just made me think about one of my biggest irritations with the State of Georgia.

I second that motion.

#7 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I second that motion.

I'll third it.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#8 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 10,665 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

Maybe he was Jerry Shearins friend and just maybe a former Commissioner??????? I used to go to school with, a David Carruth. I think David is his son. Not positive, though. David had a stroke a few years ago. I have not heard anything on his condition, since then.
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#9 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

From the September 2005 minutes of the BOC:

Discussed action to authorize the Chairman to change the existing name of county road West Hiram Parkway, road number 1203, measuring approximately 5.2 miles beginning at Jimmy Lee Smith Parkway and and end at SR 92 to Bill Carruth Parkway. Phase III, the final phase, of the West Hiram Parkway was recently completed. The re-naming of the parkway is in honor of the former Commission Chairman Bill Carruth, who envisioned this project.

I guess all you have to do is be a politician that actually has an original idea for once and they will name it after you.

Afterthought: It is interesting that all the minutes of the BOC are stored as PDFs of scanned *pictures* of the minutes. Makes it impossible for Google to help you research stuff like this. Oh yea, clear government in action. NOT.

BOC Working Session Minutes
DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

Oh yea, Pubby says "Ditto"

#10 The General

The General

Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Any guess on the name of the East Hiram Parkway after it is finished. I will bet it wont stay E. H. P. very long.

#11 CrabbyDaddy

CrabbyDaddy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

From the September 2005 minutes of the BOC:

I guess all you have to do is be a politician that actually has an original idea for once and they will name it after you.

Afterthought: It is interesting that all the minutes of the BOC are stored as PDFs of scanned *pictures* of the minutes. Makes it impossible for Google to help you research stuff like this. Oh yea, clear government in action. NOT.

BOC Working Session Minutes

Wow I think he should add VISIONARY to his campaign slogan. He is so talented that he can look at a map and envision a short cut across private land using other peoples money. He's sure got my vote!!!
  • 2busy4? and icare like this
>~{••}~<

#12 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Maybe he was Jerry Shearins friend and just maybe a former Commissioner??????? I used to go to school with, a David Carruth. I think David is his son. Not positive, though. David had a stroke a few years ago. I have not heard anything on his condition, since then.

No son--just daughters.

#13 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Any guess on the name of the East Hiram Parkway after it is finished. I will bet it wont stay E. H. P. very long.

Bill Curruth Extension?

Wow I think he should add VISIONARY to his campaign slogan. He is so talented that he can look at a map and envision a short cut across private land using other peoples money. He's sure got my vote!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't they all!
DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#14 CrabbyDaddy

CrabbyDaddy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think they should keep with the traditions in paulding and name every mile of it after someone else. :drinks:
Lets have a naming committee right here on Pcom.

Lets see......Pubby pkwy.....
>~{••}~<

#15 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I think they should keep with the traditions in paulding and name every mile of it after someone else. :drinks:

Hey! I see income possibilities here... let's lease the name to local businesses by the mile! Make the road pay for itself! Then if at the end of the year they don't want to renew.... we change the name again for that mile!!
  • CrabbyDaddy likes this

#16 CrabbyDaddy

CrabbyDaddy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hey! I see income possibilities here... let's lease the name to local businesses by the mile! Make the road pay for itself! Then if at the end of the year they don't want to renew.... we change the name again for that mile!!

A road bought and paid for......just like our politicians. :pardon:
>~{••}~<

#17 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Can I get a Blondie Bridge?

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#18 CrabbyDaddy

CrabbyDaddy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Can I get a Blondie Bridge?

Blondie bend.
>~{••}~<

#19 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

Blondie bend.

:good:

#20 SOLO

SOLO

I Have Flying monkeys and Will Use Them

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Mile of Dream .... After Pauldings never ending dream of build it and they will come .
Posted Image
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it Just pee on it and walk away.

s.l.u.t
Stressed-out Ladies Unwinding Together

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice.....dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long

#21 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

The name of many long roads change as they run through each jurisdiction to simplify addressing and other things such as proper 9-1-1 response.

Rockmart Hwy is in the unincorporated part of the county, Jimmy Campbell is in the city of Dallas, Jimmy Lee Smith is the city of Hiram, and Wendy Bagwell runs you out of the county.

#22 ChocoMare

ChocoMare

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'll 4th that. Puhleeze... name it ONE name and keep it that name from beginning to end! Posted Image
"Without God, not one step. With Him....anywhere!" Dr. David Livingstone

#23 bh67

bh67

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

He secured the federal funding for the road
We only have one life, so live it to the fullest!

#24 InLA

InLA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

The name of many long roads change as they run through each jurisdiction to simplify addressing and other things such as proper 9-1-1 response.

Rockmart Hwy is in the unincorporated part of the county, Jimmy Campbell is in the city of Dallas, Jimmy Lee Smith is the city of Hiram, and Wendy Bagwell runs you out of the county.

I think that is only a process in Georgia. I have lived in several different states and I've never seen so many name changes through jurisdictions. I never call the local roads by their names, I always refer to them by their number unless I don't know the number. Makes directions a lot simpler.

#25 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Bill Curruth Extension?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I didn't realize he had an E.D. problem...

Posted Image

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies…

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Senator Barack Obama

#26 Veritas

Veritas

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

True, Wendy Bagwell takes one on 278 out of Paulding to the East, while it is Nathan Dean Parkway on the west--not to be confused with Nathan Dean Blvd., which is a section of Highway 61.

Speaking of Highway 61, that is called Cartersville Highway north of downtown Dallas, North Confederate Avenue in downtown Dallas, then it merges with Business 6 and briefly becomes East Memorial Drive, then Nathan Dean Blvd., then Villa Rica Highway south of 278, to the Carroll County line.

Highway 120 goes through multiple nme changes in Cobb and Paulding, as well.

I have seen the same phenomenon in other states, as well, though admittedly not with so many names within such short distances. That is generally the result of a road passing through various jurisdictions.

#27 stradial

stradial

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

This name changing for the roads from one city and county to another is nothing new.
We in GA are big on changing road names. (I have no idea why)
I remember when what is now called Spring Rd, from Atlanta Rd. west, went through at least 4 name changes in the 60's and 70's.

My grandfather said to me one time; "they can call it whatever they wish to, I ain't learning no new road names".
I have reached that same conclusion.

Edited by stradial, 03 July 2012 - 01:56 PM.

"If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."
"The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself."

#28 peachesga

peachesga

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

nope. no son.

Maybe there is an older generation Bill Carruth, Maybe they owned all that land, hmmmm maybe lol

nope.

#29 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think that is only a process in Georgia. I have lived in several different states and I've never seen so many name changes through jurisdictions. I never call the local roads by their names, I always refer to them by their number unless I don't know the number. Makes directions a lot simpler.

That is because many places in GA implemented some of the latest 9-1-1 numbering techniques that many states have refused due to the large scale task readdressing is.

While simply using a road number may be simple it makes finding a specific address harder. If you are looking for 14588 Hwy 278 and you don't have prior knowledge of the numbering you have no starting reference, it could be in Dallas or it could be in Cedartown. On the other hand if if you are looking for 4000 Jimmy Lee Smith Parkway you already have a starting point because it is narrowed down to the city of Hiram. Also, a good majority of 9-1-1 calls come in with no address and just a road name. Even if the caller cannot provide nearby address numbers to pin point their location it still allows dispatchers to alert the appropriate jurisdiction.

Either way, road numbers are still in place and there are signs at every intersection so the ability to navigate by that has not been removed. The change of adding a street name on top of a road number has greatly improved the confusion found on roadways that span the state or even large portions of the country just as US 278 does.

Edited by Ugadawgs98, 03 July 2012 - 02:11 PM.

• watcher likes this

#30 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,535 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Does anyone know the history of any of these people the roads are named after? Besides Carruth of course.

Anyone know who the heck Cleburne is? I preferred County Line Road.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#31 InLA

InLA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

That is because many places in GA implemented some of the latest 9-1-1 numbering techniques that many states have refused due to the large scale task readdressing is.

While simply using a road number may be simple it makes finding a specific address harder. If you are looking for 14588 Hwy 278 and you don't have prior knowledge of the numbering you have no starting reference, it could be in Dallas or it could be in Cedartown. On the other hand if if you are looking for 4000 Jimmy Lee Smith Parkway you already have a starting point because it is narrowed down to the city of Hiram. Also, a good majority of 9-1-1 calls come in with no address and just a road name. Even if the caller cannot provide nearby address numbers to pin point their location it still allows dispatchers to alert the appropriate jurisdiction.

Either way, road numbers are still in place and there are signs at every intersection so the ability to navigate by that has not been removed. The change of adding a street name on top of a road number has greatly improved the confusion found on roadways that span the state or even large portions of the country just as US 278 does.

I still don't like it
  • CrabbyDaddy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics