barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Sunny South, Jul. 26, 1902 -- page 5
The largest Wild cat ever caught in Georgia
Atlanta Ga Feb 23 - The largest wid cat ever seen in Georgia, weighing more than 40 ponds has been killed by Dan Sweat aged 12 andhis brother charles age 9 near Waycross. The wild cat got into the barnyard and attacked a dog belonging to the boys. It was so large they thought it was another dog, and seeing their dog getting the worst of it. They mixed in with a couple of clubs. The cat clawed them a time or two, but they succeeded in killing it after an exciting fight.

The impress left upon some Georgia localites by the red man
By Dr. R.J. Massey
Panthersville - Large number of Panthers - Dekalb County

I posted this below about the wild cats because I remember a couple of stories growing up about when they were first putting in Interstate 75. They said there was a panther and the screams sounded like a woman. We don't encounter much in the way of wild cats now but a friend of mine near the Tallapoosa, Ga Haralson County /Alabama Cleburne County line spotted a cat one evening that glared at him. It was not afraid of humans and did not run away.
"Let every dog wag his own tail." James Addison McMurtrey, Company B, 9th Georgia Battalion Artillery

#2 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

My grandmother and great aunt used to talk about hearing one in the woods behind their house in Dallas during the 1930s or 40s. My aunt's husband was out in the field one day and heard his wife scream and went running, but it wasn't her. Then, they had some hunting dogs come up missing. I don't know if they ever saw it, or just heard it.

#3 babyblues

babyblues

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

When I was growing up I lived in Jackson County, we had 14 acres but there were 2000-2500 behind us and every once in a while we would hear a panther scream. It does sound like a woman screaming, it will scare the daylights out of you. I only remember seeing 1 in the 11 years that we lived there but it was scary but beautiful.

#4 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Barry....
Why do you keep bringing up "history"?
There are current events that are much more interesting....just sayin.
  • Magic Mommy likes this
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

#5 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

I find these great articles. Current events are in short depressing.... just sayin.

"History teaches us Man learns nothing from History. HEGEL"
  • Joe Sixpack, blessedmom and like this
"Let every dog wag his own tail." James Addison McMurtrey, Company B, 9th Georgia Battalion Artillery

#6 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

I find these great articles. Current events are in short depressing.... just sayin.

"History teaches us Man learns nothing from History. HEGEL"

Point taken.:drinks:

#7 hotwheels

hotwheels

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Barry....
Why do you keep bringing up "history"?
There are current events that are much more interesting....just sayin.

Don't speak for everyone, please. I, for one, happen to find this more interesting than any recent news posts I've seen on here lately. :pardon:
  • Joe Sixpack likes this

#8 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Don't speak for everyone, please. I, for one, happen to find this more interesting than any recent news posts I've seen on here lately. :pardon:

:pardon:

#9 TNlamb

TNlamb

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

x

Edited by TNlamb, 24 June 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#10 ctlovell

ctlovell

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

I appologize up front for being a nag, but I figure that along with the history lesson, we can have a nature lesson too. The cat who's "screams" sound like a woman is a bob cat, not a panther. What is usually refered to as a "panther" is actually a black leopard. There is technically no such thing as a panther. The word comes from the generic name, "Panthera," given to all big roaring cats. Sorry, I know too much about cats cause I love them so much. :pardon:
Why is it that humans who have a "sixth sense", are considered gifted...and yet animals, who all have this gift, are considered a lower life form?

#11 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,608 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

Up north (when I happened to be stuck up there one time) I heard some hunters talking about a fisher-cat, I don't know if it's really a cat or what but the way they talked, they are mean as hell and attack just about anything. I don't think we have those here, do we? or martens, either?
They were having a great time scaring the crap out of me around the campfire.

Member of the Weasel family.

http://en.wikipedia..../Fisher_(animal)

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#12 Lucky64

Lucky64

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

My link

First time doing a link. Just click on the link it shows on the page and it will bring you to it.

#13 TNlamb

TNlamb

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

x

Edited by TNlamb, 24 June 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#14 Nick Chester Paulding Edu 2

Nick Chester Paulding Edu 2

Paulding Com member

• GA USA **Political
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

I was in that sporting goods store that starts with an A yesterday and I ran into a guy trying on boots. We started talking about hunting and he told me that folks in his hunting camp have seen claw marks on trees at least 6 to 7 feet high. He thinks there are still big cats running around S. Georgia and a number of people claim to have seen them. I don't think it would be to hard for a nocturnal hunting animal to stay around for years without being seen. Just my two cents!
Attorney, Nick Chester
Member, Paulding County Board of Education
www.nickchester.com
678-322-VOTE
3236 Atlanta Hwy
Dallas, GA 30132

#15 Lucky64

Lucky64

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

I was kidding, obviously. But I retract my statement in the interest of not causing drama when there was absolutely no ill will intended.

Geez, can't even take a dumb joke around here anymore. Oh so much fun. :rolleyes:

Thank you!! It just drives me crazy when I see/hear people call the Yankee's dumb or I hear people call the South dumb.
I'm sorry for getting ill about it.

EDIT: Since I saw you deleted your comment, I deleted mine only to have you quote it. It's all good. I don't have nothing to hide. You know where I stand.

#16 SusieQ404

SusieQ404

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

There was panther killed in GA in 2008. It had migrated here from south FL. It was shot by a hunter who was fined and given probation because Florida panthers are covered by the endangered species act. I think there was another one killed over near Clark Hill / Thurmond Lake about a decade or more ago. That one had a Florida tag also.

ETA: I was mistaken about the one at Clark's Hill. He wasn't killed. He was relocated back to Florida. He looked dead in the picture but he was only sleeping from the tranquiler dart.

Edited by SusieQ404, 24 June 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#17 ohmygosh

ohmygosh

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

husband swears he saw a "black panther or leopard" cross the road at the entrance to The Georgian. I was driving and missed it. He was yelling "look, look!!!" and still gets excited about it!

#18 Lucky64

Lucky64

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

husband swears he saw a "black panther or leopard" cross the road at the entrance to The Georgian. I was driving and missed it. He was yelling "look, look!!!" and still gets excited about it!

I have to say, I believe your husband because back in the 80's when I lived on Macland Rd, I was coming home around 2, 3 in the morning and saw one walking on the side of the road. I was trippin'!

#19 barrycdog

barrycdog

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

Posted Image

#20 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

I appologize up front for being a nag, but I figure that along with the history lesson, we can have a nature lesson too. The cat who's "screams" sound like a woman is a bob cat, not a panther. What is usually refered to as a "panther" is actually a black leopard. There is technically no such thing as a panther. The word comes from the generic name, "Panthera," given to all big roaring cats. Sorry, I know too much about cats cause I love them so much. :pardon:

nerd-head.jpg

Sorry, HAD to be done :blink: .

I cant believe I read this entire thread.

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#21 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

There was panther killed in GA in 2008. It had migrated here from south FL. It was shot by a hunter who was fined and given probation because Florida panthers are covered by the endangered species act. I think there was another one killed over near Clark Hill / Thurmond Lake about a decade or more ago. That one had a Florida tag also.

ETA: I was mistaken about the one at Clark's Hill. He wasn't killed. He was relocated back to Florida. He looked dead in the picture but he was only sleeping from the tranquiler dart.

One has been seen near the Chattooga River on the SC/GA line, too

#22 TNlamb

TNlamb

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Thank you!! It just drives me crazy when I see/hear people call the Yankee's dumb or I hear people call the South dumb.
I'm sorry for getting ill about it.

EDIT: Since I saw you deleted your comment, I deleted mine only to have you quote it. It's all good. I don't have nothing to hide. You know where I stand.

It's all good here, too. I respect where you're coming from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics