26 replies to this topic

#1 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Farmers say state laws aimed at illegal immigrants are costing them money because they can't get the crops harvested. The work is hard and requires workers who are experienced, something people who haven't worked the migrant worker circuit don't have the ability to be productive.

My link
People. Planet. Profits. In that order.

#2 yellowduckdog

yellowduckdog

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Farmers say state laws aimed at illegal immigrants are costing them money because they can't get the crops harvested. The work is hard and requires workers who are experienced, something people who haven't worked the migrant worker circuit don't have the ability to be productive.

My link

Adapt, like most of America over the last 4 years
  • oscarmeyer, mrsdavidj6 and Papi like this
Cops 15 Minutes 9MM 1.15 secs which do you choose?

#3 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, they like that cheap labor. I don't believe it but if it is true they need to use the legal immigration plan and pay their workers better.
  • CrownApp likes this

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.........

#4 Jet_man1969

Jet_man1969

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

They would have no problem finding help if more citizens were hungry, Problem is its much easier to sit and wait on that govt check than it is to pick peaches.
  • mrsdavidj6 likes this

#5 Perry Mason

Perry Mason

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

They would have no problem finding help if more citizens were hungry, Problem is its much easier to sit and wait on that govt check than it is to pick peaches.

That is true for a lot of folks. BUT............

With that being said........WHY don't the illegal immigrants do what is necessary to become LEGAL residents of America?? They could continue to work for the same employers without fear of being sent back to Mexico. Maybe I am missing something here but that seems like a win/win for the immigrants and the farmers. :blink:

#6 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,211 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

I think growing your own fruits and vegetables is better than buying them, anyway, I grow my own. And, I don't need anyone to help me gather therm. My wife, and I, cans what we don't eat during growing season. I have rain barrels to water with, while it's not raining. I cut firewood for winter, and do that in the spring time. I have a lot of my own trees. We rarely have to go to a store. I am thinking of getting a few chickens, and a cow. Posted Image

My rain barrels are high enough to the top of my house where no pump is required. The rain water come out through the hose by gravitational pull.

Edited by The Postman, 17 May 2012 - 11:41 PM.

"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#7 winston1972

winston1972

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

With that being said........WHY don't the illegal immigrants do what is necessary to become LEGAL residents of America?? They could continue to work for the same employers without fear of being sent back to Mexico. Maybe I am missing something here but that seems like a win/win for the immigrants and the farmers. :blink:

or better yet go back to THEIR country and make THEIR country the country they want it to be. GET the f*** out of OUR country!!! :drinks:
  • Riograce and mrsdavidj6 like this

#8 Johnny Jacobs

Johnny Jacobs

A Good Old Boy

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,598 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Having worked with some of the legal immigrants, I can tell you there is a long waiting list and many hoops to jump through to get in legally.
The comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
---George Eliot

If I have earned your trust, then I am responsible for keeping that trust intact.
---JohnnyJ

#9 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,211 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

or better yet go back to THEIR country and make THEIR country the country they want it to be. GET the f*** out of OUR country!!! :drinks:

We are certainly making Georgia the country we want it to be, winston!

Georgia's Report Card
"The rich alone use imported articles, and on these alone the whole taxes of the General Government are levied. ... Our revenues liberated by the discharge of the public debt, and its surplus applied to canals, roads, schools, etc., the farmer will see his government supported, his children educated, and the face of his country made a paradise by the contributions of the rich alone, without his being called on to spend a cent from his earnings." ~ The Chief Author of our Declaration of Independence

#10 yellowduckdog

yellowduckdog

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

We are certainly making Georgia the country we want it to be, winston!

Georgia's Report Card

Awesome... :drinks: Integrity also means doing what it takes to be LEGAL in this country.

Edited by yellowduckdog, 18 May 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#11 mrsdavidj6

mrsdavidj6

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Saw a blurb on the news yesterday where asparagus and apple farmers in Washington state were tilling under the asparagus and letting the apples go because they can't find legal workers. All the while, the unemployment rate is over 8%. The farmer interviewed said he paid $10 an hour plus for good harvesters, but that the unemployment checks could be as high as $600 per week for some folks and that it was hard work. Said he'd never gotten a single person from the labor dept posts of him needing labor.

When I was laid off, I had no problem waiting tables at a sports bar for $2.47 hour + tips to make ends meet. Guess the work ethic is gone since 1991.

#12 yellowduckdog

yellowduckdog

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Saw a blurb on the news yesterday where asparagus and apple farmers in Washington state were tilling under the asparagus and letting the apples go because they can't find legal workers. All the while, the unemployment rate is over 8%. The farmer interviewed said he paid $10 an hour plus for good harvesters, but that the unemployment checks could be as high as $600 per week for some folks and that it was hard work. Said he'd never gotten a single person from the labor dept posts of him needing labor.

When I was laid off, I had no problem waiting tables at a sports bar for $2.47 hour + tips to make ends meet. Guess the work ethic is gone since 1991.

Kids of today= entitlement

I have said on here before and Ill say it again my father would work two jobs to keep off food stamps or free lunches today my customers employees will only work 30 hrs a week (when they could work 40 plus) so there kids get free lunches
  • mrsdavidj6 likes this

#13 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

The point a lot of people tend to miss with these immigration reform bills is how they do indeed have a negative effect on LEGAL groups of migrant farm workers, who have NONWORKING family members or significant others with them.

The workers have their papers, pay taxes. and generally work a circuit of farmers they have been dealing with for many years. Then know which areas are going to have what crops coming in at different times.

They are here for 3 or 4 months at a time, and most want to have their wives, children, or girlfriends with them, who are here on visitor's visas or no visa.

As long as the visitors are not getting paid/working, there is nothing illegal.

BUT, the way these new laws are written, if everyone in the vehicle does NOT have all their work permits, they can run them into jail.

So, to avoid the hassles with the profiling, they just tend to avoid the geographical areas where they know they can be hassled.

Hence, all over the states that have enacted such legislation, these workers have vanished, and so far virtually ALL efforts to have prison workers and the chronically umemployed has proved not only to be unsuccessful, but depending on the crops it has hurt farmers who have had crops that continue to produce ruined by workers who have killed the plants in the process of attempting to pick the fruit.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#14 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

My link

Tough. Illegals are ILLEGAL and should be deported.
  • NewsJunky and cna2005 like this

I agree with Bobby Jindal -

I am tired of the left. They say they’re for tolerance, they say they respect diversity. The reality is this: They respect everybody unless you happen to disagree with them. The left is trying to silence us and I’m tired of it, I won’t take it anymore.

#15 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,211 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Tough. Illegals are ILLEGAL and should be deported.

Is this illegal, PSD?

Record Corruption in Georgia

#16 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Is this illegal, PSD?

I see it's foggy here too. Pity.

I am tired of the left. They say they’re for tolerance, they say they respect diversity. The reality is this: They respect everybody unless you happen to disagree with them. The left is trying to silence us and I’m tired of it, I won’t take it anymore.

#17 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Is this illegal, PSD?

The far-left organization that calls itself stateintegrity.org should be made illegal because of all the foggy-brained, gullible people they've duped into believing their made-up garbage.
  • Gone and ApolloBeachRetiree like this
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#18 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

The far-left organization that calls itself state integrity.org should be made illegal because of all the foggy-brained, gullible people they've duped into believing their made-up garbage.

Foggy brained people like TP.
  • Gone likes this

#19 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,211 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

The far-left organization that calls itself stateintegrity.org should be made illegal because of all the foggy-brained, gullible people they've duped into believing their made-up garbage.

Is what I'm posting about Georgia's Report Card made-up garbage, markdavd?

It seems to me that Georgia officials would sue the Center for Public Integrity such slander, if that is what it is.

It's illegal to put that kind of information out on a state, unless it is true. It is a Federal crime, also, to do that kind of lying on a state government!

Anyway, do you think there is a conspiracy against the state of Georgia? Why woulod the CPI want to put Georgia below all the other 49 states, in a conspiracy to defraud the state? Posted Image

#20 Gone

Gone

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Foggy brained people like TP.

Ignore is a powerful feature

#21 The Postman

The Postman

Walking Tall

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,211 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ignore is a powerful feature

Yes, tds, that is right!

I wonder why they can't figure that out.

They don't do anything but talk about my demeanor. It seems okay, to them, that the Center for Public Integrity gave the state they live in a grade so low that whale sheeze is the only thing lower, and that is on the bottom of the sea.

What's wrong with them tds? Posted Image

#22 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

TP's sources aside, it is kind of hard to defend Georgia's Ethics Commission when the Governor [who had pending investigations] and many legislators made damn certain the entire commission was gutted after firing the chairman.

Please show me where our own Paulette Braddock's investigation went concerning her totally false campaign donation reports including the one where she gave herself inkind donations [free printing and postage] far exceeding the legal limits.

Our Ethics Commission is for all practical purposes, non-existing. It is there in name only with virtually no employees and no supoena powers, let alone any ability to levy proper fines and collect them.

After finding Richardson and his MMV PAC to be in the wrong with moving around the vast sums of donations Richardson still controls they gave him like a $200 fine for misusing hundreds of thousands of dollars. And even that was by the previous ethics commission while they still had employees.

It is corrupt on the state level just like it is on the Paulding County level. Our BOC keeps sending hundreds of thousands a year to Holland & Knight for litigating us to death, just so Holland & Knight can then donate a percentage of those funds back to Paulding Politicians. Your tax money going into the campaign war chests of our locals.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#23 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Well....had they not utilized illegal labor to begin with there would not be such a vacuum now. They made their bed, those jobs were held by American citizens at one point until the farmers gave them to those who work under the table for dirt cheap to make a profit.

Edited by Ugadawgs98, 18 May 2012 - 05:08 PM.

• ApolloBeachRetiree likes this

#24 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well....had they not utilized illegal labor to begin with there would not be such a vacuum now. They made their bed, those jobs were held by American citizens at one point until the farmers gave them to those who work under the table for dirt cheap to make a profit.

You have totally missed the point many of these farmers are trying to get hard headed politicians to understand.

The workers ARE legal. Well documented, pay their taxes and do a good job. They TRAVEL with their family members who are NOT legal WORKERS, but are here on a visitors visa.

The way these new immigration laws are written, EVERYONE in the vehicle has to have work permits, whether they are working or not. If no work permit, they take them to jail.

If you were working in another country for 4-5 months, and could, would you want your wife with you ? Generally these workers are housed in quarters set up where they can live and feed themselves. Wife stays in the lodging maybe with kids, cooks, washes clothes, does all the domestic duties whilst husband and older sons, legal workers, are picking crops. They come in and eat, have a reasonable transient life, and after 2-3-4 weeks move on to another farm.

But the way the new state laws are written, Georgia's included, the non-working spouse or significant other can cause the whole lot of them to be jailed for days and days. Yes, they are released after it is made evident they are all here legally and only those with work permits are working the fields, but would you go back to a state to work like this KNOWING any cop can pull you over and lock you up as being guilty until you can prove you are innocent ?

So they avoid those states and as a result the farmers are suffering some substantially large losses in crop harvesting.

And there is no one else to do the work properly.

Just seems stupid and it is causing huge agricultural losses around the country.

#25 SOLO

SOLO

I Have Flying monkeys and Will Use Them

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

All we have to do is tell the people on welfare that as long as there are jobs open and they will not work then they do not get any more money for the government. Instead of mailing a check give the address of the farms.
  • ApolloBeachRetiree likes this
Posted Image
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it Just pee on it and walk away.

s.l.u.t
Stressed-out Ladies Unwinding Together

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice.....dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long

#26 zoocrew

zoocrew

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

You have totally missed the point many of these farmers are trying to get hard headed politicians to understand.

The workers ARE legal. Well documented, pay their taxes and do a good job. They TRAVEL with their family members who are NOT legal WORKERS, but are here on a visitors visa.

The way these new immigration laws are written, EVERYONE in the vehicle has to have work permits, whether they are working or not. If no work permit, they take them to jail.

If you were working in another country for 4-5 months, and could, would you want your wife with you ? Generally these workers are housed in quarters set up where they can live and feed themselves. Wife stays in the lodging maybe with kids, cooks, washes clothes, does all the domestic duties whilst husband and older sons, legal workers, are picking crops. They come in and eat, have a reasonable transient life, and after 2-3-4 weeks move on to another farm.

But the way the new state laws are written, Georgia's included, the non-working spouse or significant other can cause the whole lot of them to be jailed for days and days. Yes, they are released after it is made evident they are all here legally and only those with work permits are working the fields, but would you go back to a state to work like this KNOWING any cop can pull you over and lock you up as being guilty until you can prove you are innocent ?

So they avoid those states and as a result the farmers are suffering some substantially large losses in crop harvesting.

And there is no one else to do the work properly.

Just seems stupid and it is causing huge agricultural losses around the country.

Thank you for pointing out the issue. It is easier to demonize a group and play the politics than to understand the issue.

Edited by zoocrew, 18 May 2012 - 08:45 PM.

People. Planet. Profits. In that order.

#27 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

All we have to do is tell the people on welfare that as long as there are jobs open and they will not work then they do not get any more money for the government. Instead of mailing a check give the address of the farms.

The dummies you expect to do this work simply said CAN'T. If they try to pick tomatoes, they destroy the plants in the process.....can't pick enough to earn the wage, and damage much of the fruit they pick.

You just don't get the picture. Migrant workers who do these jobs are generally paid by their production [tokens per basket picked] and by doing a proper job without hurting the plants for the next harvest in another 4-5 days.

The jobless you want to do this job, or prisoners simply cannot do it nearly as well. Their hourly harvest rate is a fraction of what the pros can do without hurting the plants.

Put in laymans terms would you want someone painting your house that smears paint all over the windows, trim, etc. and spills half their paint?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics