Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

Is Paulding County's alternative school PART of the Public School System?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kyminga

Kyminga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Is Paulding County's alternative school PART of the Public School System?

and...be gentle...this is my first time posting in here. lol

#2 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Great question.
I looked into it last year and it "seems" to be a national program.

There are 2 options for funding.
IF your child is expelled from school then they "qualify" for this program.

IF you just want to send your child there to remove them from the school they are in now then "some" of them allow the parents to pay. At the time, the Paulding location did not.

The ones that did were very high priced.

I chose to homeschool my son via the internet and we love it.
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

#3 Kyminga

Kyminga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for responding. Good answer...good to know more. But, I have more questions. lol
"Qualify" for what program? And who pays for that program? And how does one "qualify" for this program? What are the criteria?

Ok, I'll be more direct in my reason for asking this question. The kids that were expelled from EPHS recently...some parents are commenting that it is costing the school system(AKA: the tax payers) $6,000 PER KID for them to attend the alternative school.

NOW, my questions are these: Is the 6k figure the DIFFERENCE in what it would have cost tax payers to send each kid to a regular school? Is the 6k the cost of sending ANY kid to ANY school in Paulding County?

#4 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for responding. Good answer...good to know more. But, I have more questions. lol
"Qualify" for what program? And who pays for that program? And how does one "qualify" for this program? What are the criteria?

Ok, I'll be more direct in my reason for asking this question. The kids that were expelled from EPHS recently...some parents are commenting that it is costing the school system(AKA: the tax payers) $6,000 PER KID for them to attend the alternative school.

NOW, my questions are these: Is the 6k figure the DIFFERENCE in what it would have cost tax payers to send each kid to a regular school? Is the 6k the cost of sending ANY kid to ANY school in Paulding County?

That, I do not know.
They are probably correct in the cost.

When I looked into it the cost was over $5,000.

I am not sure if "qualify" is the right word but they could only attend there IF they had been expelled from their local school.

www.ombudsman.com may have the info. that you are searching for.

You will see that they make it appear that the school is available for those who choose to go there. BUT in Paulding, we do not have the option.

Edited by mysterious, 26 March 2012 - 03:04 PM.

ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

#5 Kyminga

Kyminga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Right, I am looking over the website. Thanks for the link.

Being a graduate of an alternative school myself (a few *cough 25 cough* years ago, haha) I am very curious as to how this program operates.

When I heard the statement "It is going to cost the school system 6k per kid to send them to the alternative school"...I had so many question. How much does it already cost tax payers to send EACH kid to school?

#6 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

I don't know about now, but about 10-12 years ago--they had a wonderful program at the Alternative school. They had some of the nicest and most caring teachers that I had ever met.

And yes, my son attended there for about 3 months. He begged them to let him stay there and finish school and they would not let him. He absolutely loved it there. He was one of those kids that could get in the back of the class and just disappear in the regular school (and they allowed him to do that). Within 2 weeks of being there---he was an absolute different person. At that time, Marty was over it.

I do have to ask--from what you said about the parents of the kids--sounded like they were bragging about it costing the county more money??? If so--no wonder their little angle got in trouble--right???

#7 Kyminga

Kyminga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

No no...I wasn't implying that anyone was bragging at all. I just heard the cost mentioned as being $6k...and instantly I had to understand the program. lol It is just how I am...if I don't know how something works, I have to learn! It drives my friends nuts!

So, your son went there...who paid for it? You or the school system?

Edited to include this information:
As I said, I am an alternative school graduate. I am quite introverted, wasn't into sports and HATED mainstream high school. My behavior was terrible, I was angry and had failing grades. Moved to the alternative school...and I completely changed it up. I say all the time that education can NOT be "one size fits all"...

Edited by Kyminga, 26 March 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#8 workingforaliving

workingforaliving

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,814 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

I believe the last set of board minutes (or maybe the one before that) said that it was $5K+ per student and there were approx 120 students there.

Considered against what it would take to staff an alternative program within the system (teachers, custodians, lunch, building upkeep, etc), it might not be too bad of a deal.

Ah ha! A link to the minutes...

http://www.paulding....ry 28, 2012.pdf
Posted Image

#9 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,145 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

So can you CHOOSE to send your child to alternative school?

I really don't know. My kids went to school when they had Matthews and it was for the "bad" kids.

Where do they go now?

#10 BabeCake

BabeCake

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

I looked into taking my daughter to Ombudsman for summer school last year. If I remember correctly, PCSD contracts with Ombudsman to take expelled students and other extreme cases. For that reason there were no openings for someone to simply choose this as an alternative. They just didn't have the available seats. At that time choosing to go there during the regular school year wasn't an option. Summer school was a little different. You had to sign up on a waiting list. PC would assign summer school to certain students. IF there were any spaces available after that, Ombudsman would call and offer a lottery option to those on the waiting list. Students who won a spot through their lottery had to pay their own tuition.

More than likely, things have changed since then. But maybe that helps answer a few of your questions.

#11 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

No no...I wasn't implying that anyone was bragging at all. I just heard the cost mentioned as being $6k...and instantly I had to understand the program. lol It is just how I am...if I don't know how something works, I have to learn! It drives my friends nuts!

So, your son went there...who paid for it? You or the school system?

Edited to include this information:
As I said, I am an alternative school graduate. I am quite introverted, wasn't into sports and HATED mainstream high school. My behavior was terrible, I was angry and had failing grades. Moved to the alternative school...and I completely changed it up. I say all the time that education can NOT be "one size fits all"...

My son was having MAJOR trouble at PC High School and it was decided to send him there before he got in any deeper.

And our tax dollars pay for it---not us individually.

And, no, it is not just for the "bad kids". Granted that most do get into some type of trouble before being sent there, but I can guarantee you that at that time--it was a much better place than the high school. My son excelled there and loved it. He did not want to go back to the high school, but you are only allowed to stay there for a short period of time. And it was just a very short time after he was back a the high school that things went right back to the way they were before. The teachers at the high school were no where near as interested or determined as the ones at the alternative school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics