8 replies to this topic

#1 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Has anyone done this? I wonder about rooting cut mums from a bouquet? I've seen some beautiful ones with unusual colors that I've never seen for sale in the form of a plant.

http://www.ehow.com/...roses-root.html

ETA: I added a post about rooting mums from bouquets and edited the title of the thread.

Love is patient. Love is kind.

1 Corinthians 13:4, GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

I am not interested in a war of wits where words are used like weapons to wound.

#2 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

Has anyone done this? I wonder about rooting cut mums from a bouquet? I've seen some beautiful ones with unusual colors that I've never seen for sale in the form of a plant.

http://www.ehow.com/...roses-root.html

That is very interesting. I never thought that rooting plants grown for indoors/florist was possible, I guess. I learned after failing many times that when you get a potted plant from a florist( funeral, gift delivery, etc.), you have to keep it inside. So many ppl say you can plant it outside but I had a professional florist explain the differences and tell me otherwise. What do you think about this, BL?

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#3 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

That is very interesting. I never thought that rooting plants grown for indoors/florist was possible, I guess. I learned after failing many times that when you get a potted plant from a florist( funeral, gift delivery, etc.), you have to keep it inside. So many ppl say you can plant it outside but I had a professional florist explain the differences and tell me otherwise. What do you think about this, BL?

Well quite a few plants that come from florists are tropical and are used as house plants in colder climates. My Mom got a hydrangea and an azalea that came from florists and they did well planted outside. If a plant is growing inside a greenhouse or house it's probably better to gradually get it used to the outside. What did the florist tell you?

I am not interested in a war of wits where words are used like weapons to wound.

#4 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

Well quite a few plants that come from florists are tropical and are used as house plants in colder climates. My Mom got a hydrangea and an azalea that came from florists and they did well planted outside. If a plant is growing inside a greenhouse or house it's probably better to gradually get it used to the outside. What did the florist tell you?

I think what you said is true concerning most of the plants you'd get from a florist.

The pro-florist said that the plants/flowers they get are grown from seeds to be indoors and are not equipped to take the outdoor elements that other plants of the same species could handle and flourish in. They are like a test tube baby. He told me that if I get one to just plant it inside and keep it there. He did say that some, like hydrangeas, are more easily adaptable and can survive outdoors sometimes.

Who is John Galt?

"The government was set to protect man from criminals, and the Constitution was written to protect man from the government." -Ayn Rand

#5 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

I'd like to find yellow hydrangeas and yellow rhododendrons. If you run across any, please let me know where they are and how much, if possible. tia
  • A Gipper Girl likes this
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#6 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

I saw this about propagating mums from bouquets. I'd like to grow some green ones and other unusual colors:

http://www.cherryh.c...utAShore/?p=835

#7 A Gipper Girl

A Gipper Girl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'd like to find yellow hydrangeas and yellow rhododendrons. If you run across any, please let me know where they are and how much, if possible. tia

I would love yellow hydrangeas! How beautiful. If anyone finds any I'd love to know where.:)

Who is John Galt?

#8 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Have you seen any hydrangea plants with yellow blooms?

Some times I see flowers in a bouquet and then I realize they have been colored.

This website explains how white hydrangeas are sprayed yellow or other colors or placed in a vase type container with dye:

http://www.fiftyflow...-Tinted_206.htm

•This flower is spray tinted using a white flower as the base flower. Our post harvest team sprays a special flower paint to tint the flowers. The tint might rub off from the petals and the part of the stem, which is painted. Not recommended for submerging in water. This may temporarily stains hands, so wear gloves when processing and designing with these blooms. This dye most likely will stain clothing.

•This flower is intravenously tinted using a white flower as the base. Our post harvest team will place the bottom of the stem into concentrated dyed water. This allows the flower stem to “drink up” the colored water tinting the bloom to the desired color. The tint will not rub off from the surface of the petals. However, the color may seep from: where stems are cut, leaves are removed from the stem, or flower petals that are torn especially when wet. This may temporarily stains hands, so wear gloves when processing and designing with these blooms. This dye most likely will stain clothing.

#9 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,433 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

This makes me think of my grandma.
She would always "pinch off a piece" of some plant to sit up in the window sill and root.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics