Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

Does anyone know anything about him ?
I have seen him for a few years handing out an envelope
asking for a dollar donation.
I saw him right before Christmas but got in my car before handing him the money this time because he had a terrible cough and I already had a cold.
Since then he has come to mind several times and I regret not taking the time to find out if he was ok or needed something over the counter that I could have bought for him.

So far I haven't found anyone else that has ever seen him but I know I'm not the only one and since he has been around for so long I would think someone may know more about him.
I can't remember what he is collecting for because I always let him keep the envelope to sell again.

#2 mysterious

mysterious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

I saw him right before Christmas but got in my car before handing him the money this time because he had a terrible cough and I already had a cold.
Since then he has come to mind several times and I regret not taking the time to find out if he was ok or needed something over the counter that I could have bought for him.

So far I haven't found anyone else that has ever seen him but I know I'm not the only one and since he has been around for so long I would think someone may know more about him.
I can't remember what he is collecting for because I always let him keep the envelope to sell again.

I used to see him in the IHOP parking lot.

We would give him food and he seemed thankful.

I have not seen him lately.
ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

#3 janko9

janko9

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

I hate to say it, but don't fall for it unless you have a very good gut feeling. These guys are ALWAYS at sporting events (NASCAR races) etc hitting you up as soon as you get out of the car. When we lived in NC and would go to the races at Lowes a guy use to do this saying he was poor deaf and mute. Come to find out the guy drove a Mercedes Benz and made over 6000 a month. Also why I aam skeptic on donating to people on off ramps on the interstates. Same deal in Mooresville, NC. Guy stood at the stop light asking for money. Cops arrested him one day and turned out he parked his Bentley at an Arches restaurant and lived in a house worth almost a mil. Hate it for the people who could really use it b/c of these frauds.

Edited by janko9, 30 December 2011 - 10:51 AM.

"I already have a guilty conscience, might as well have the money to"

#4 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

I always give to them. I don't care if it's a scam or not. At least they are offering something in return and not just asking for money. What if it isn't a scam? My dollar will help him more than me. It reminded of the story of the deaf immigrants being used as slaves... http://community.sea...21&slug=2550663 Human beings can be so disgusting and heartless.

I haven't seen this particular gentleman in years but only because I don't go to that store anymore.

Edited by justgettingby, 30 December 2011 - 11:55 AM.

• Mrs G likes this

#5 eym_sirius

eym_sirius

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

I hate to say it, but don't fall for it unless you have a very good gut feeling. These guys are ALWAYS at sporting events (NASCAR races) etc hitting you up as soon as you get out of the car. When we lived in NC and would go to the races at Lowes a guy use to do this saying he was poor deaf and mute. Come to find out the guy drove a Mercedes Benz and made over 6000 a month. Also why I aam skeptic on donating to people on off ramps on the interstates. Same deal in Mooresville, NC. Guy stood at the stop light asking for money. Cops arrested him one day and turned out he parked his Bentley at an Arches restaurant and lived in a house worth almost a mil. Hate it for the people who could really use it b/c of these frauds.

It's a scam. Always. There are many services for the hearing impaired.

#6 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

I'm curious how you found out about both of these gentlemen? Did you read it in a newspaper somewhere?

#7 janko9

janko9

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

5 yrs ago when we lived in Mooresville NC. It was on the Charlotte news and in the local paper. A cop actually followed the guy who would hang out at the light. Watched him get in the Bentley and followed him to his house where the arrest for fraud was made. They arrest them all the time in NC, its a huge problem in the Charlotte area

Edited by janko9, 30 December 2011 - 12:05 PM.

"I already have a guilty conscience, might as well have the money to"

#8 eym_sirius

eym_sirius

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

This is an old scam, but it's tried and true. Here's a report about a similar scam prevalent in Paris:

[Authorities have acknowledged a huge increase in a scam carried out by Romanian gypsies in Paris, this one based on requests for money for so-called deaf/mute girls.

The scam is straightforward. A young girl approaches the mark (usually a tourist) with a piece of paper and a pen, pretending to be deaf. The paper names a couple of charities, both real and fake, and bears the signatures of a few previous marks. The current mark is asked for money, and if he's na´ve enough, he gives it. In some cases, the paper and request for money serve as a distraction for stealing a wallet or purse.]

Just Google-Search "Deaf Mute Scam" and you get hundreds of links like this:

http://www.veraplaya...php?topic=611.0

#9 justgettingby

justgettingby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Google works both ways. Sometimes the ABC cards are a scam, and sometimes not. I don't care either way. I'll continue to give my dollar for the card/keychain.

#10 tranquility

tranquility

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

My concern is not that this gentleman is scamming people, my concern is that he may need some type assistance and either doesn't qualify or doesn't know how to go about getting it.

Many elderly people do not qualify for help because of making just a few dollars over the qualifying amount with their retirement or SS but they have to juggle which maintenance meds they can put off until the next month because of food, rent, etc.

It may be a scam but if it is then shame on him and he is the one that will answer for that deed.

I was hoping someone knew his story.
Too many people are too quick to claim scam and if it is truly someone they could help then they missed out on a great opportunity to do so.
On the other hand there is so much greed in the world anymore it is easy to mistrust people. I do that myself but try to be cautious about jumping to that conclusion with him because of his age I guess and especially with that terrible cough he had the other day.

I am also a germaphobe and freaked a little thinking he could be spreading TB or something else.

Edited by tranquility, 30 December 2011 - 12:44 PM.

#11 eym_sirius

eym_sirius

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

If a person panhandles, he knows that it's illegal, which is why he offers something in exchange, many times.

A person who is deaf rarely self-identifies as a "deaf-mute", but instead "hearing impaired" and occasionally "deaf".

The stylized scam is too pervasive to think that it could possibly be real. A person approaches you with a note that says that he's a "deaf-mute" and needs money. Will you please buy _____ from him or otherwise contribute? You can't ask him questions about his disability or his condition -- because he can't hear and for some reason doesn't know sign language or read lips.
I'm not telling anyone what to do with his/her money.

Another scam is that someone will say that his car stopped and he needs a new battery, but he's short $20 and can you help him out.

These guys usually approach you in a parking lot.

#12 Rita

Rita

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

There is a woman at the off ramp of 285 @ Hwy 78 that sits on one of her legs to make it appear she is an amputee. I have seen her pushing her wheelchair then sit on her leg! She also switches amputated legs (she will be sitting on the right leg in the am and the left leg in the pm!) I guess she wouldn't won't to cut off the circulation and truelly become an amputee.
Jesus is my BEST Friend!

#13 eym_sirius

eym_sirius

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,726 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

There is a woman at the off ramp of 285 @ Hwy 78 that sits on one of her legs to make it appear she is an amputee. I have seen her pushing her wheelchair then sit on her leg! She also switches amputated legs (she will be sitting on the right leg in the am and the left leg in the pm!) I guess she wouldn't won't to cut off the circulation and truelly become an amputee.

That's terrible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics