#1 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

how do i go about arranging one?

do i see my regular doctor for referral?

i just can't see me scheduling an appointment, paying a $50 copay, and pouring my heart out about why no one will sleep with me.
apparently i snore. loudly. which doesn't seem to bother me too much. however, i do wake up exhausted. which might be from playing musical sleeping spots during the night.....

my resolution is to just sleep alone forever. but, on the occasional over night trip to exciting places like Waukegan, i will invariably be woken up in a strange hotel room in the middle of the night by dgitw screaming at me to roll over and stop snoring in her face.

the mask thing? can't see myself wearing it. 1)there's not a plug by the couch. 2)i'm a restless sleeper. what happens if i roll over in the middle of the night and kink the hose, cutting off my oxygen supply? what a lame ass way to die. 3) i like to sleep til the last possible minute. wake up, throw on clothes, dash out the door in a mad panic. i have a feeling that i'll be arriving to work with mask lines on my face. not acceptable.

so, what else is there? a magic pill? a special pillow? and ergonomic vibrating bed?

i need help!!!!!!

well, not me. but.....my sleeping partners do.

#2 RhondaW

RhondaW

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

They just referred my husband to one. But he is holding off to see if the weight loss helps. He's a commercial truck driver and a diagnosis of sleep apnea would not be a good thing for him. If no one else responds before I can get the info from him (He's on his way in from Mississippi right now) I will post it to you.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.  ~~~~~  "A room without a book, is like a body without a soul"  ~Cicero ~~~~~~ I dream of  a world...where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.<br />"Life is short. Don't be an asshole"~Jenilyn

#3 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

so, a diagnosis of sleep apnea is pretty much what i'm expecting. i'm just not so sure what to ultimately do about it.

also, i'm not sure i like the idea of sleeping in front of strangers in order to get the diagnosis.

#4 Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

I sleep with a CPAP. I was afraid of how I would do because I said I toss and turn and roll over etc... What I found out was, once I got the mask on, I slept so good that I no longer toss and turn and roll over!

Also, even if you get a kink in the hose or even if the machine cuts off (power goes out, etc) the mask is designed so that you can still breath with the mask on and power off or hose kinked...no worries there.

As far as mask lines...it's not that bad really. Especially since I suspect you will be getting better quality of sleep so you won't have to sleep till the last minute, you will most likely wake up early.

bottom line, if you are having this much problems, there's no excuse in the world that you could come up with that is worth NOT going and finding out and taking care of this. You will be amazed at how much better you feel.
  • Sellersgirl1012 likes this
Turning the other cheek 'outta here'!

#5 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

yep. this guarantees i'll be sleeping alone!

Posted Image

#6 Veritas

Veritas

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

There are several possible outcomes from a sleep test, only one of which is the machine. Other possible outcomes include medication and surgery. During a test, after the first few minutes there is a videotape, and the technician and noy literally watching you the whole time. It is worth doing.

#7 copschick

copschick

Tow's top chick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

NC...I just sent you a lengthy message on FB
Posted Image

#8 Orwell

Orwell

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

I spent the money for the sleep test. They tried two different masks on me but I could never adjust to using one. Discomfort, noise and couldn't fall asleep were my big problems. I gave up but according to my wife, I am not having some of the issues now. just luck.

#9 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

There are several possible outcomes from a sleep test, only one of which is the machine. Other possible outcomes include medication and surgery. During a test, after the first few minutes there is a videotape, and the technician and noy literally watching you the whole time. It is worth doing.

great. another embarassing video. this seems to be the story of my life!

NC...I just sent you a lengthy message on FB

make sure you monitor the news channels, girlie!

#10 RhondaW

RhondaW

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

so, a diagnosis of sleep apnea is pretty much what i'm expecting. i'm just not so sure what to ultimately do about it.

also, i'm not sure i like the idea of sleeping in front of strangers in order to get the diagnosis.

Yes for him but maybe not for you. He didn't begin to have these problems until a massive weight gain in the last decade. So they are thinking that if he can get back to a healthy weight it may alleviate the symptoms. Because it is so detrimental for his work, they suggested the concentration on weight loss first.
Apnea may not be your issue though. The sleep tests aren't so bad. I was born seizure prone and used to have to have them done once a year (monitoring brain waves or something) you kind of get used to the sleep tests, at least I did.

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.  ~~~~~  "A room without a book, is like a body without a soul"  ~Cicero ~~~~~~ I dream of  a world...where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned.<br />"Life is short. Don't be an asshole"~Jenilyn

#11 Colonel Duke LaCross

Colonel Duke LaCross

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

I know this sounds too easy to work, but it does. Try cutting out your consumption of carbohydrates. Try not to eat sugars and starches several hours before bed time, along with alcohol. Losing weight will help as well. Big sky guarantee!

i just can't see me scheduling an appointment, paying a $50 copay, and pouring my heart out about why no one will sleep with me.
apparently i snore. loudly. which doesn't seem to bother me too much. however, i do wake up exhausted. which might be from playing musical sleeping spots during the night.....

my resolution is to just sleep alone forever. but, on the occasional over night trip to exciting places like Waukegan, i will invariably be woken up in a strange hotel room in the middle of the night by dgitw screaming at me to roll over and stop snoring in her face.

the mask thing? can't see myself wearing it. 1)there's not a plug by the couch. 2)i'm a restless sleeper. what happens if i roll over in the middle of the night and kink the hose, cutting off my oxygen supply? what a lame ass way to die. 3) i like to sleep til the last possible minute. wake up, throw on clothes, dash out the door in a mad panic. i have a feeling that i'll be arriving to work with mask lines on my face. not acceptable.

so, what else is there? a magic pill? a special pillow? and ergonomic vibrating bed?

i need help!!!!!!

well, not me. but.....my sleeping partners do.

I'm sexy and I know it!

#12 Spunkywman

Spunkywman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

Its really not that bad. Its like sleeping in a motel with wires stuck all over you.....lol I was there when the tornado hit Atlanta and I never knew there was bad weather that night. I like to never got that goo out of my hair. I have a bi-pap machine and I cant always sleep with it but it helps. There has been a lot of things mentioned that may come out of it. Your Dr. will try to help before he sends you there. Meds a lot of times helps. It helped me for a while but I had back issues that I discovered after I had surgery that caused a lot of my sleep troubles.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

There are three constants in life... change, choice and principles.
Stephen Covey

#13 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

I sleep with my CPAP machine and it's great. It's actually given me more energy during the day since I'm sleeping better and it's helping me to lose weight.

Posted Image

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies…

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Senator Barack Obama

#14 copschick

copschick

Tow's top chick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

I know this sounds too easy to work, but it does. Try cutting out your consumption of carbohydrates. Try not to eat sugars and starches several hours before bed time, along with alcohol. Losing weight will help as well. Big sky guarantee!

damn...you had me right up till the no alcohol!
Posted Image

#15 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Its really not that bad. Its like sleeping in a motel with wires stuck all over you.....lol I was there when the tornado hit Atlanta and I never knew there was bad weather that night. I like to never got that goo out of my hair. I have a bi-pap machine and I cant always sleep with it but it helps. There has been a lot of things mentioned that may come out of it. Your Dr. will try to help before he sends you there. Meds a lot of times helps. It helped me for a while but I had back issues that I discovered after I had surgery that caused a lot of my sleep troubles.

dammit. i'm allergic to adhesives!!!

#16 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,961 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

You might try that nose thing. There is some kind of adhesive that sticks to the sides of your nose and opens up your nostrils to ease breathing through the nose. I've also seen the mouth gizmo that juts your jaw forward by the placement of the teeth and that opens the airway as well.

They may be available at your local drug store as an anti-snoring aid. Maybe worth a try.

pubby

#17 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 20,963 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

I have so many comments to make and so little time to make them but I'll just send you good vibes/wishes/juju .....

Hope you find people to sleep with you and that you find a way to make your sleeping problems quieter / get you some rest.
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#18 Spunkywman

Spunkywman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

LOL....not sure if I would call it an adhesive. More like caulk gel and I had two tests. Sleep apnea is when your sleeping your tongue relaxes and blocks your airway that causes you to wake up to breath. That why there is a lot of tossing and turning because you cant rest if you keep waking up to breathe. I didn't realize how many health issues are related to sleep apnea until I did some research on my own. I don't wear a mask I have the one that goes just in my nose and it a bi-pap which means it controls my air flow when I breathe in and out. It also has a humidifier the help with my allergies which for me is all year long. Start with your Dr. and see what he says. It took me awhile until I went to the sleep clinic.

dammit. i'm allergic to adhesives!!!

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Stephen Covey

#19 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

You might try that nose thing. There is some kind of adhesive that sticks to the sides of your nose and opens up your nostrils to ease breathing through the nose. I've also seen the mouth gizmo that juts your jaw forward by the placement of the teeth and that opens the airway as well.

They may be available at your local drug store as an anti-snoring aid. Maybe worth a try.

pubby

I might look in to the mouth thing.

the nose thing is out because of the adhesive.

#20 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,850 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

Get checked. Sleep Apnea can kill you. You want to have a hose (no adhesive) attached to your face or do you want to have a heart attack and die?

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#21 AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,865 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

I got my referal from my primary (East Paulding Welstar) and then the center is in Douglasville. Down side - they woke my a$$ up at 6 AM and told me I didn't have apnea and to go home. Dude- let me sleep to 10 am and bring me some zeusn bagels and cream cheese along with some Starbucks decaf.

I might look in to the mouth thing.

the nose thing is out because of the adhesive.

Anything that isn't a CPAP is a gimmick. Don't waste your money or the gas it costs to go down to CVS.
  • stbarts likes this
"Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree."
"The Bible: Because all the wonders of science can’t equal the wisdom of cattle sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah’s house."

#22 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

I got my referal from my primary (East Paulding Welstar) and then the center is in Douglasville. Down side - they woke my a$$ up at 6 AM and told me I didn't have apnea and to go home. Dude- let me sleep to 10 am and bring me some zeusn bagels and cream cheese along with some Starbucks decaf.

ugh, thats the worst!

I'm afraid of them telling me I'm fine, I just snore like a hog, and then leaking the video.

#23 AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,865 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

ugh, thats the worst!

I'm afraid of them telling me I'm fine, I just snore like a hog, and then leaking the video.

They told me my "sleep efficiency" was 65% and should be 85% minimum; but that I didn't have apnea. The MD wrote a scrip for a sleeping pill. I didn't bother filling it - I would rather just snore. Doesn't bother me, and whoever is with me is welcome to sleep in another room.
"Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree."
"The Bible: Because all the wonders of science can’t equal the wisdom of cattle sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah’s house."

#24 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

They told me my "sleep efficiency" was 65% and should be 85% minimum; but that I didn't have apnea. The MD wrote a scrip for a sleeping pill. I didn't bother filling it - I would rather just snore. Doesn't bother me, and whoever is with me is welcome to sleep in another room.

I almost feel the same way. as long as it's not found to be life threatening, I'll just continue to snore like a hog.
perhaps I can give the sleeping pills to my family instead?

#25 AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,865 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

I almost feel the same way. as long as it's not found to be life threatening, I'll just continue to snore like a hog.

Only true apnea is dangerous, and even the the odds of life threatening heart issues are below 1%. For every thousand people with apnea, there is one Reggie White. Snoring merely causes dry throat and lower sleep efficiency. So I sleep 9 hours instead of 7. Big whoop. I like dreaming anyway.

#26 RhondaW

RhondaW

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

LOL....not sure if I would call it an adhesive. More like caulk gel and I had two tests. Sleep apnea is when your sleeping your tongue relaxes and blocks your airway that causes you to wake up to breath. That why there is a lot of tossing and turning because you cant rest if you keep waking up to breathe. I didn't realize how many health issues are related to sleep apnea until I did some research on my own. I don't wear a mask I have the one that goes just in my nose and it a bi-pap which means it controls my air flow when I breathe in and out. It also has a humidifier the help with my allergies which for me is all year long. Start with your Dr. and see what he says. It took me awhile until I went to the sleep clinic.

I'm allergic to the adhesive in the cloth bandaids, and most of the types they use in hospitals. The gookey glue stuff they stick the electrodes to your head with did not cause the same reaction. Although, I have to say the digging around in your head with the orange stick or whatever they use isn't too pleasant. It has been about 25 years since I stopped having to have the tests however, so things may have changed a bit. I had them from the age my seizures first appeared (2) until 20.
Sleep apnea does cause so many other issues, cardiovascular included.

#27 Spunkywman

Spunkywman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

Moose!! I missed seeing ur cheerful banter...lol :yahoo: Mine is a CPAP machine just a different version and didnt cost me a thing. Now the insurance company is a different story. I agree dont go to the sleep clinic on ur own. Go to the Dr first.

Anything that isn't a CPAP is a gimmick. Don't waste your money or the gas it costs to go down to CVS.

Stephen Covey

#28 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,457 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

Good Luck NC my husband has sleep apnea.. his sleep study was done at windy hill after his primary doctor referred him. you will be surprise how much better you sleep and your husband will sleep if this is in fact what you have.
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#29 ~Chester~

~Chester~

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:14 AM

Melatonin and a few glasses of wine work good for me. 8)

Of course I sleep in the day and no one is around so I can snore all I want. :pardon:

#30 ButterflyLion

ButterflyLion

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Here is some info I received in an email on a upcoming free webinar on Buteyko Breathing and how it pertains to sleep apnea and asthma. Dr. Park is an authority on sleep apnea. He has free webinars where he interviews experts regularly. Last month it was about an device that is implanted and was compared to a pacemaker. They are doing research on that.

Can Buteyko Breathing Help Sleep Apnea?

Please join me for my next Expert Interview on October 25th, at 8PM Eastern. This month, I've invited Buteyko breathing instructor Patrick Mckeown to talk to us about how this breathing technique can improve symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea. This is also a great way to control asthma.

-----------------------------

Topic: Expert Interview: Buteyko Breathing with Patrick Mckeown

Date: Tuesday, October 25th, 2011

Time: 8:00 PM Eastern / 5:00 PM Pacific

Place: Teleseminar

Cost: Free

In a rush? RSVP: Click Here <---

---------------------------------------------

My "Expert Interview series is a live, 60 minute, content-rich call where YOU hear from the experts from the comfort of your own home.

If you've NEVER participated, now is your chance to listen to this highly popular monthly call.

Here's the link to register:

http://doctorstevenp...patrick-mckeown

Edited by ButterflyLion, 24 October 2011 - 09:30 AM.

Love is patient. Love is kind.

1 Corinthians 13:4, GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

I am not interested in a war of wits where words are used like weapons to wound.

#31 fasn8nmom

fasn8nmom

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

They just referred my husband to one. But he is holding off to see if the weight loss helps. He's a commercial truck driver and a diagnosis of sleep apnea would not be a good thing for him. If no one else responds before I can get the info from him (He's on his way in from Mississippi right now) I will post it to you.

Rhonda, my husband has been a truck driver for years and has sleep apnea. It is not as bad as you might think. Yes- on his DOT physical he has to show where he has kept up with the sleep doctor routine appointments but he still passes his physicals and gets his 3 year medical card. I think if I remember correctly the first year he was only given a 1 year medical card but after that it went right back to 3.
When he was on the road- he took his machine with him and it really wasn't that big of a deal.
Hubby says he can tell a HUGE difference when he sleeps with and without it.
Good luck to your hubby but it is not as devastating as it might seem.
Laugh and the world laughs with you, whine and I'm going home

#32 heyjustme

heyjustme

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

I am actually have one done at Tanner next Tuesday! I don't know what I am going to wear yet Lol

#33 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

I had my sleep study done at the one behind Douglasville hospital. It was really great. There was me and one other person getting a sleep study. They really work with you to make sure you're comfortable. My setup was just like a bedroom, they let you watch TV until you're ready to go to sleep. I was better than trying to sleep in a hotel.

Posted Image

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies…

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Senator Barack Obama

#34 Livin da dream

Livin da dream

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

It could be that you have a dieveated (spelling...not sure at ALL...lol) septum. That is my problem...Just a little surgery where they basically break your nose and give you a sligh nose job and you will be alllllll better............

Yeah, i still snore too and anyone sleeping with me can just accept it!! LOL
Sometimes we have to let go of the life we have planned,

to have the life that is waiting for us

#35 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

It could be that you have a dieveated (spelling...not sure at ALL...lol) septum. That is my problem...Just a little surgery where they basically break your nose and give you a sligh nose job and you will be alllllll better............

Yeah, i still snore too and anyone sleeping with me can just accept it!! LOL

I had a nose job years ago. apparently, I just snore like a hog.

#36 Glassdogs

Glassdogs

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

I've been CPAP-ing for more than 10 years. I now have an AUTO-Pap which senses how much pressure I need to keep the airway open. It varies the pressure both while I inhale or exhale. I've had both the regular CPAP and the BiPAP and had trouble acclimating to them. The auto pap costs a ton of $$$, but once it is fitted, no more sleep tests.

I use a mask called the Breeze from Malinkrodt . It is light, no strap marks, and it is pretty comfortable.

My sleep doc is Arris Iatradis at Georgia Lung. He's a good 'un.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics