10 replies to this topic

#1 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Technibble is a site for PC technicians, they recently did a survey of techs about different hardware brands. I get asked all the time and their results are right in-line with my personal opinions.

From Technibble.com
Most Liked Hardware Brands:
Laptops Lenovo/IBM, ASUS, Toshiba, Dell (mid-high priced stuff)
Motherboards ASUS, Gigabyte & EVGA
RAM Kingston, Crucial, Corsair
Hard Drives Was 50/50 between Western Digital and Seagate. However, people mentioned Western Digital Black was especially good.
Printers Epson, Samsung, Xerox, Brother (Laser), Canon, HP (high end)
Keyboards Logitech, Microsoft
Mice Logitech
Routers No winner
Optical Drives Lite-On, ASUS

Most Hated Hardware Brands:

Laptops HP/Compaq, Sony, Acer/Gateway/eMachines
Motherboards Intel, ASRock, MSI
RAM Most generic or "value" brands
Hard Drives Fujitsu, Maxtor, Hitachi
Printers HP (low-mid end), Lexmark
Routers Belkin
Optical Drives No Loser

Full Article Here

#2 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,484 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Thanks that was interesting
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#3 Adam&Jessica

Adam&Jessica

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

If Belkin is the most hated router brand, then the people doing the survey have no idea what they are doing, and have obviously never used a netgear or trendnet. Belkin has what is probably the best support in the router industry, and are one of the two brands that anyone where I work will recommend. The other is Linksys, which is what I personally use.

#4 CPC

CPC

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, I was surprised be Belkin.

The site is based in the UK, maybe they product lines are different there?

#5 Adam&Jessica

Adam&Jessica

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, I was surprised be Belkin.

The site is based in the UK, maybe they product lines are different there?

Possibly... Netgear right now is the one we have trouble with alot at work. Of the 55 to 60 calls I get per day, about 5 of them are because the Netgear router isn't functioning. And with their new stance that any phone support costs $69, even if you bought the router the same day, we are starting to steer customers clear of that brand, even though as a company we try to avoid that if at all possible.

#6 BooRadley

BooRadley

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Maybe it's just me, I've had several Gateways (one desktop, one laptop, currently have a netbook) and never had a problem with any of them....yet everyone else seems to have a gripe about Gateway.

Every model that I've had has done what I needed it to do, never had any problems with any applications, used them all to work at home, do school work when I was in college, and personal use. Never had any of the hard drives or motherboards to fail so I never understood why they got such a bad rap.

Guess I've just been extremely lucky......
The user formerly known as scoutfinch.

#7 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

Maybe it's just me, I've had several Gateways (one desktop, one laptop, currently have a netbook) and never had a problem with any of them....yet everyone else seems to have a gripe about Gateway.

Every model that I've had has done what I needed it to do, never had any problems with any applications, used them all to work at home, do school work when I was in college, and personal use. Never had any of the hard drives or motherboards to fail so I never understood why they got such a bad rap.

Guess I've just been extremely lucky......

IMO, Gateway is not what it used to be and I do not recommend them anymore. Having said that, the quality of any brand tends to rise and fall over the years.

#8 Spunkywman

Spunkywman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

I have always had a HP/Compact desktop and now laptop. I am very happy with every product I have bought from them.
  • SOLO likes this
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

There are three constants in life... change, choice and principles.
Stephen Covey

#9 jsbeagle

jsbeagle

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

10 year old home built desktop with Soyo(brand doesn't exist anymore) MB and AMD XP 2400 still running strong.
Wife's tiny home built desktop is ASUS with an AMD is 4 years old and fine.

Cheap Dell laptop is 8 years old and aside from the screen hinge attachment needing a repair (used roofing nails and epoxy - don't ask) its still strong as my dad's home pc even after being carried around in a backpack for several years.

Wife's HP laptop has been in for warranty repair on the power jack several times, until it was retired. POS - known poor design
4 year old Lenovo laptop carried to many classes with me and a short in the screen is the only fault.

Only new computers we have are Samsung and ACER netbooks. Those are too new to fail (although I bet the ACER won't be long).

Is it time to get rid of some of these, or what??? If you get the right stuff, there's no need to replace them often at all! Hopefully CedarcrestPC won't have my business any time soon, but I wouldn't mind if I did!

#10 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

Woo hoo I'm glad my new Toshiba gets good reviews....so far so good :)

#11 VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Out of the many PCs and computer-related equipment I have ever owned (and that's a lot, both commercially-built and self-built), the three items that stand out the most are:

1. My Lenovo laptop. Best computer I have ever owned, and second-best computer I have ever used (second only to my Dell workstation powerhouse that I use at my professional software development gig).

2. My Western Digital Scorpio Black 2.5" laptop hard drive. Whisper quiet and blindingly fast (your "best of" list mentioned this drive... I agree).

3. My Cisco Valet Plus router. Yes, I can configure the most complicated of routers... but, the rest of my family can't. And should I be unavailable, it needs to be compatible with them. And this router couldn't be simpler yet completely secure with zero effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics