• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 kayaknkellis

kayaknkellis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

Iv hiked in into paulding forest a few times to this lake. its very nice place but I've never seen anyone there. prolly cause you.can't drive up to it. its a very nice hike. The short 1mile from gold mine or the more difficult 3mile from hulsey town rd. any one else hike there ?

#2 kayaknkellis

kayaknkellis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

If anyone would like to hike it let me know. I would be happy to join ya. If ya know of any other great paulding county hikes post em up too!

Edited by kayaknkellis, 05 March 2011 - 11:39 PM.

#3 kayaknkellis

kayaknkellis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

try this
I hope this link takes ya to a few pics of Goldmine lake :-)

Edited by kayaknkellis, 06 March 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#4 MsGaStorm

MsGaStorm

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

If you go up there hiking then try not to go alone or at least let someone know where you are going. I have always heard that there are actual mining shafts still around that have never been filled in.

Edit: Your goldmine photo link doesn't work. It takes me to MY facebook page.

Edited by MsGaStorm, 06 March 2011 - 12:11 AM.

"Either fate IS funny or God has a FANTASTIC sense of humor!!" - Me

"We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

#5 BACONFMLY03

BACONFMLY03

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:10 AM

goldmine photos I hope this link works,it an album of a few pics of gold mine lake

Link is not working would love to see the photos if you can get them to load.

#6 kayaknkellis

kayaknkellis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

most of the trails are old logging roads,its pretty back in there.its nice have such a huge wma area to enjoy. I always let someone know when I head out,the short hike is pretty easy the longer trail has some pretty good elevation changes.

#7 Harlee71

Harlee71

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for pointing it out. I knew it was back there, but just didn't know where.

#8 Colonel Duke LaCross

Colonel Duke LaCross

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

I hiked there this time last year on a beautiful spring day. I was however disappointed in the amount of garbage on the hillsides overlooking the lake. It seemed like every few feet were wrappers of some sort and beer cans, etc. I haven't been back since. One of the " rangers" that patrols the area told my wife about a lot of "illegal, inappropriate" activities that go on in the forest, and to never go in there alone, especially if the gate is open off goldmine Rd- it seems to really bring in the freaks, he says. I don't think I'll be going back, which is a bummer, since I live only 2miles away. Just be careful and let others know where you are going before venturing out there!
I'm sexy and I know it!

#9 Gone

Gone

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

:angry2:
Can't stand it when folk pollute my WMA

Turkey season will open March 26,so please be aware of this while out hiking.
Do not wear the colors red,white or blue as these are the colors of a turkey's head

#10 HiPlainsDrifter

HiPlainsDrifter

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

My wife and I are always looking for new hikes nearby for the days when time won't allow for us to escape to north Georgia and beyond. We love to just get out in the woods and walk, even of it's just a short 1 miler. The beginning of this thread had me hooked but when the aspect of trash was introduced I thought I could move it down the list. Then by the end, I'm reading of freaks and illegal activity and everything went down hill. Actually made me mad that low lifes can ruin a place that was never meant for them. Amazing that I've hiked miles deep into the mountains all my life and never had a problem with trash or freaks, but crap like this pops up in my own back yard. Maybe I'll check it out at some point.

If any of you have suggestions for hikes in and around Paulding County I would love to hear them.

#11 Jetasmom

Jetasmom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Nice pictures. I like the armadillo. Never actually got to see one .... still alive.

I had never heard of Gold Mine Lake before. Looks beautiful.
Formally Jetsmom - edited to finally include the final baby's initial. ;)

#12 orrby

orrby

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

Iv hiked in into paulding forest a few times to this lake. its very nice place but I've never seen anyone there. prolly cause you.can't drive up to it. its a very nice hike. The short 1mile from gold mine or the more difficult 3mile from hulsey town rd. any one else hike there ?

you used to be able to drive almost all the way down. That is until the Airport screwed up the road down and then just decided to never fix it. :angry:

#13 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Can someone tell me how to get to the mile hike?? I'd love to go but don't know if I can survive 3 miles just yet. It's been a while. LOL

Where do you enter for the mile?? From the airport or Goldmine Road??
In history there are people who have had their clothes, food, housing and jobs provided to them.

Those people were called "slaves".

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#14 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Does anyone know how to get to the area off Buchanan Hwy where they hid the horses during the civil war?? I was there once, a very long time ago. Not sure I could find my way back in, I think it's also part of the WMA.

It was so beautiful and pristine there, I think we were some of the first humans in quite a while to venture that way. We were with the cub scouts. :)
In history there are people who have had their clothes, food, housing and jobs provided to them.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#15 Colonel Duke LaCross

Colonel Duke LaCross

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Can someone tell me how to get to the mile hike?? I'd love to go but don't know if I can survive 3 miles just yet. It's been a while. LOL

Where do you enter for the mile?? From the airport or Goldmine Road??

from goldmine rd.- its about 3/4 a mile past argo lake rd, if your heading to Yorkville- on the left hand side. Cant miss it.
I'm sexy and I know it!

#16 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

from goldmine rd.- its about 3/4 a mile past argo lake rd, if your heading to Yorkville- on the left hand side. Cant miss it.

OK so the entrance for the mile hike is at the WMA on Goldmine Rd?? Just want to be sure I go in the right way. Does anybody have any GPS coordinates??

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#17 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

Does anyone know how to get to the area off Buchanan Hwy where they hid the horses during the civil war?? I was there once, a very long time ago. Not sure I could find my way back in, I think it's also part of the WMA.

It was so beautiful and pristine there, I think we were some of the first humans in quite a while to venture that way. We were with the cub scouts. :)

Haven't heard that story. Would love to know the details on that tidbit of history.

#18 Colonel Duke LaCross

Colonel Duke LaCross

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

OK so the entrance for the mile hike is at the WMA on Goldmine Rd?? Just want to be sure I go in the right way. Does anybody have any GPS coordinates??

yes. I don't have the coordinates.
I'm sexy and I know it!

#19 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

Haven't heard that story. Would love to know the details on that tidbit of history.

One of our scout dads took us over there. The story he told was that they hid the horses along with some confederate troops when they marched through Dallas and New Hope. There is a small creek down a steep embankment (on both sides) and they were supposed to be undetectable. We literally had to use a rope tied to a tree to navigate down the embankment. Once we got down there it was absolutely beautiful. I believe it was around this time of year we went, perhaps a little later. I remember the violets were blooming, there were several different kinds.

I could totally see how it could have been used to hide several hundred horses and men.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#20 kayaknkellis

kayaknkellis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

I use an on my phone called endomond , it tracts your hikes on Google maps mileage and also elevation ! It's really cool the hike in from Goldmine is the easy hike. Hulseytown is .longer and more hills. The only trash I seen was at the lake. The trails are fun and pretty. And yes keep up with the hunting schedules and be care during hunt times. I did see several tree stand markers !

#21 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Just got back, I'm thinking we really messed up somewhere cause that was a very lonnnngggggg mile. I guess we missed the trail head and ended up walking in from the Southwest side of the lake. We passed the first little branch and thought about following it because we knew it would take us to the lake but we kept going straight looking for the trail, we never found it. LOL Ended up following a different branch that eventually took us to the lake. We came out on the trail, took about a hour and a half to get there but only about 30 minutes to get out. The mountain like to have killed me.

It was fun and much needed exercise. Glad I finally went.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#22 Harlee71

Harlee71

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

I am going to make it out there when it dries up a little.

#23 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

Of course we had to park outside the gate and walk all the way down but I'm glad we went today. No bugs, no snakes. It was a little muddy but my boots are drying now. :) I got some pics on my phone but will have to get them a little later. Time to think about supper.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#24 Gone

Gone

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

I did see several tree stand markers !

To me that's pollution too.They need to be taken down at the end of every hunt.

#25 ~BrAnDy~

~BrAnDy~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

I have been to Goldmine Lake it is a very nice hike. Its beautiful back in those woods. :)
Brandy Ingram

#26 krwills

krwills

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

If each considerate hiker would carry a small trash bag with them and bring out a small amount of the trash every time they went (including their own), the hike would get nicer every time someone went.

I started this many years ago when visiting High Shoals waterfall. At the time I didn't know who it belonged to, and figured the owner would be less mad at someone trespassing, if they were helping to clean it up. :rolleyes:
The postings you may read may not always be the thoughts of both owners..

Posted Image

#27 Elwood

Elwood

Paulding Com member

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

Is this at the location where the Paulding Forest signs are?

Posted Image

Of course the government keeps its promises! Don't worry about a thing...

If you need a list to protect your children you're not a very good parent.

Life is not sterile.
Just because bad things happen to good people doesn't mean they didn't deserve it.

Even the best fall down sometimes.

Stay away from broken people.

#28 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

Is this at the location where the Paulding Forest signs are?

Yes, the entrance is on Goldmine Road. Here's a map to the location. If you're going out there, you will walk about 3/4 of a mile and see a big pile of dead trees. The trail is off to the left and goes up the big hill (turns back to the right at the top), when you get to the top just stay on the trail and it will bring you to the lake.

http://www.satellite...ftype=reservoir

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#29 Incabiker

Incabiker

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

I have been to gold mine lake numerous times a year (for the last 9 years) and have explored all of the WMA and have been camping and hunting back there... very neat to find the old moonshine distilleries out there. Used that land to hone in my map and compass skills. Literally walked about every piece of that land. Anyhow, that lake is junked now. It has nothing but nasty green alagae growing every where and there is no where for the fish to live any more. When I say everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE. That lake used to be beautiful and clear with good fishing. If you throw your fishing line in now the only thing you will get is green gook on your hooks. Rather sad really.

I have found many a g-strings (yes panties) and condoms out there by the lake.. not as pristine as it used to be. Anyhow there was an article in Paulding times about maybe 2 years ago that said how there is going to be plans to turn that lake into a sort of self contained community. Houses and offices would be built up around it, the whole point was that you wouldn't have to drive anywhere to get groceries, go to work, etc... it would all be within walking distance.

#30 Colonel Duke LaCross

Colonel Duke LaCross

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

I have been to gold mine lake numerous times a year (for the last 9 years) and have explored all of the WMA and have been camping and hunting back there... very neat to find the old moonshine distilleries out there. Used that land to hone in my map and compass skills. Literally walked about every piece of that land. Anyhow, that lake is junked now. It has nothing but nasty green alagae growing every where and there is no where for the fish to live any more. When I say everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE. That lake used to be beautiful and clear with good fishing. If you throw your fishing line in now the only thing you will get is green gook on your hooks. Rather sad really.

I have found many a g-strings (yes panties) and condoms out there by the lake.. not as pristine as it used to be. Anyhow there was an article in Paulding times about maybe 2 years ago that said how there is going to be plans to turn that lake into a sort of self contained community. Houses and offices would be built up around it, the whole point was that you wouldn't have to drive anywhere to get groceries, go to work, etc... it would all be within walking distance.

Der be sum derty backwoods luv'n a goin on
I'm sexy and I know it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics