• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MillCreek

MillCreek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,368 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

Anyone remember Snow Jam 1982, that occured on January 11th?!?!?!

I was working in downtown Atlanta......Weather reports indicated this major snow storm was heading east from Birmingham, and everyone was like, "yeah right...."

I remember looking out the office window at 3pm or so....Nothing......3:30pm, the city was covered up......

Back then, very few people had cell phones and the web / internet, well, uh......we were still in "the dinosaur ages!!"

I finally reached one of my uncles, who had a 4 wheel drive....I met him at Spring St and Harris......While waiting for him, I remember seeing this rather heavily intoxicated man, trying to direct traffic -- of course, he kept falling down, and with the roads, no one was going anywhere....

A lot of folks got stranded in their offices, and in the hotels.....Downtown Atlanta was like "one big party!"

I did manage to get home that night, around midnight...

Any Snowjam Memories?!?!?!

[attachment=106316:snowjam-atlanta-198_802159c.jpg]

#2 confederaterose

confederaterose

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

Apparently, we are the only people from around here or old enough to remember it.

I was working @ 285 and Powers Ferry. Since, I was a Supervisor, I could not leave until everyone had left the office. I finally got home around 1AM.

It was 5 degrees so the first flake that fell stuck and every flake after that.

My power was out for mor than a week. Since it was so cold and the power was out, a lot of peoples water pipes froze and caused more havoc.

I worked for USAA. Their answering service people must not have gone home at all. They patched calls to my house, so many that I had to take the phone off the hook just for a bathroom break or to get some sleep.

The entire city was shut down for a week.

Having been born and raised here, I know they are rating low on the worst storms. Honey, I rate it the worst ever to hit around here.

#3 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

I didn't move here til the fall of 1983, so I missed that one. My sister lived in Powder Springs and worked downtown, it took her 8 hours to get home. I think I'm glad I missed it. :D
In history there are people who have had their clothes, food, housing and jobs provided to them.

Those people were called "slaves".

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#4 KArt

KArt

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

I remember it but I was only a kid. A few of us were talking about it on FB yesterday. I will have to go post the date for them. Thx.

I just found this site with stories from that day: http://snowjam82.com/atlanta-stories

Edited by KidzArt, 11 January 2011 - 08:07 AM.

#5 MillCreek

MillCreek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,368 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

Apparently, we are the only people from around here or old enough to remember it.
I was working @ 285 and Powers Ferry. Since, I was a Supervisor, I could not leave until everyone had left the office. I finally got home around 1AM.

It was 5 degrees so the first flake that fell stuck and every flake after that.

My power was out for mor than a week. Since it was so cold and the power was out, a lot of peoples water pipes froze and caused more havoc.

I worked for USAA. Their answering service people must not have gone home at all. They patched calls to my house, so many that I had to take the phone off the hook just for a bathroom break or to get some sleep.

The entire city was shut down for a week.

Having been born and raised here, I know they are rating low on the worst storms. Honey, I rate it the worst ever to hit around here.

I hear ya!!!

Snowjam 1982....1993 Blizzard - Storm of the Century.....and, Now, 2011.......Really, aside from the snow / ice that has fallen over the years, these three snow storms have to rank the highest!

Last week and over the weekend, when the weather reports were coming in about this one, for those that have been through one or two of these type "snow storms," you knew you'd better stock up and be as prepared as possible...plan for the worst and hope for the best!

#6 Jetasmom

Jetasmom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

I remember it too well. 10th grade... It started snowing before they finally decided to send home. We all went to board the buses and mine was no where in sight. I was offered a couple rides home, but I thought it would be smarter to wait for the bus. An older bus rolled up with our bus number posted. Big surprise, sub bus, sub driver. Before turning onto Hiram-Sudie, she she stopped and called the bus barn crying, begging someone to come help. They said, "No". She managed to get us all safely home. We were not just shaking from the cold though.

Saw a few buses pulled off and the students walking somewhere.

Mom spent the night somewhere between Lockheed and home. Dad made it home. It was defined and adventure.

I think that is when I developed my "better safe than sorry" attitude.
Formally Jetsmom - edited to finally include the final baby's initial. ;)

#7 grumps

grumps

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

Remember it well. Took me two days to get home I was going west bound on topside of 285 listening to the radio as the storm moved north. Doing fine until every body got on the road after businesses let out.Made it to Windy Hill and I75 and stayed in Waffle house until 10:30 pm until those that could, got out of the way and others were stuck. Drove to friend in Smyrna. Next day paid $90 for a set of chains at Jonquil tire in Smyrna. Broke the trail to Dallas out 2 lane hwy 120. Still have those chains down in the basement, Make someone a GOOOOOD deal on them. Haven't had a vehicle since then that could use those chains.

#8 elliesgranny

elliesgranny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yep...I remember it well! I left work early, picked up my son from daycare and managed to get home after sliding into a ditch. Some guys driving by helped get my car back up on the road. Hubby had to abandon his truck on Fairground St. in Marietta and paid 2 guys in a jeep to bring him home. We were stuck at home for an entire week. Nine months later our daughter was born. :ninja: :p

#9 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,283 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

I remember it, my oldest son had just turned 1 year old, and we were down at mama's playing in the snow..
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#10 Yvette Walsh

Yvette Walsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Yes... I lived in Smyrna andwas at a friends in Marietta. Got stuck for 2 days there

#11 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

I remember my step-dad taking being stuck in the mess on the way home from Atlanta. I was a kid, and I remember the snow. I think it was that snow that was almost just like this one, soft snow covered by a thick layer of ice. Those are the only two I remember being like this.

#12 fed-up

fed-up

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

If I remember correctly Cobb Co. was already out of school for the day due to the extremely cold temps. they were afraid they couldn't heat all the schools properly. We had had several days of 10 degrees or lower, that's why the snow stuck immediately when it fell. I was 17 and since we were already home from school my dad let me and a friend drive to the Smyrna Post Office it get something in the mail before the storm hit, well it hit while we were out and my dad started walking trying to find us. (NO CELLE PHONES) We were fine, I was just taking my time, watching all the idiots slide off the road that were driving to fast. At one point I remember driving with my tires on the sidewalk and grass, it gave better traction. He was so mad at himself for letting us go,that when he found us, about a mile from home, he wouldn't get in the car with us to drive the last mile home, he just walked. I have great memories of that storm.

#13 Orwell

Orwell

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

I remember I was living above Rome, Ga. and we were stuck in our houses for days. I walked to a small grocery store for food at one time. My power stayed on but the roads were closed.

#14 Sellersgirl1012

Sellersgirl1012

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

Pretty neat! I was born Jan 1982. I didn't know. Pretty cool!

#15 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Yes, that was an adventure that brought out the boy scout training.

I was working off Jimmy Carter & Peachtree Industrial, and drove whatever company car was available. The sweethearts I worked for let everyone leave 30 minutes early after there was a couple of inches of white stuff, and the only vehicle was a ginormus E250 Ford Van. No thanks.

A coworker was scared to death of driving in the snow, lived fairly close to me back in East Cobb, and had a Honda front wheel drive. So I drove her.

285 was rapidly becoming a parking lot [which it later did, gridlocking all the way around Atlanta, so we got off at Ashford Dunwoody. I remember figuring the topography of the various surface street routes to stay to the roads which ran on top of the ridges.....but we still had to cross the river to get home.

Johnson Ferry was a can of worms with cars stuck in every position heading up the hill. So we sent down Columes Drive, and I took her Honda and let her go up the hill after watching a Jeep Wagoneer slide down it. And to my amazement, that car climbed the hill.

We stayed to the high roads, getting back over to Johnson Ferry and Lower Roswell and got to my house about midnight. It was basically flat back out Terrell Mill to Ann's condo so she was OK.

MrsSurepip left her Mazda on 285, and got a ride with one of the boys from Pike Brother's Nursery who had a big 4 wheel drive with chains. She got home about 2:00am.

But we all got home safely. People were stranded downtown for days, and 9 months later all the maternity wards in the city were full of babies.Posted Image
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#16 mrsdavidj6

mrsdavidj6

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Slept at my company that first night - several of us girls took over my bosses office. Had been married for two years. No matter how my then hubby tried - he couldn't get to me. Then, a person driving too fast for conditions left the roadway, jumped the curb and slammed into my parked IN THE PARKING LOT OF MY COMPANY's parking lot!!! When we did get home, our best friends walked over - about 1/2 mile - they had no electricity and we had gas heat. They made a baby that week in our guest room. I gave her grief for years and still would if I saw her again!

#17 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,655 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

Anyone remember Snow Jam 1982, that occured on January 11th?!?!?!

I was working in downtown Atlanta......Weather reports indicated this major snow storm was heading east from Birmingham, and everyone was like, "yeah right...."

I remember looking at the office window at 3pm or so....Nothing......3:30pm, the city was covered up......

Back then, very few people had cell phones and the web / internet, well, uh......we were still in "the dinosaur ages!!"

I finally reached one of my uncles, who had a 4 wheel drive....I met him at Spring St and Harris......While waiting for him, I remember seeing this rather heavily intoxicated man, trying to direct traffic -- of course, he kept falling down, and with the roads, no one was going anywhere....

A lot of folks got stranded in their offices, and in the hotels.....Downtown Atlanta was like "one big party!"

I did manage to get home that night, around midnight...

Any Snowjam Memories?!?!?!

[attachment=106316:snowjam-atlanta-198_802159c.jpg]

I saw it coming and left the office around 2:30pm. My office mate and I went back to her place and drank wine while it snowed. I left her place around 6 or so and drove the short distance home. I stayed there. My wife (now ex) was out directing traffic on 120 and did not get home until after 10. She and my former office mate have not spoken to one another since.

Hillary was a terrible candidate. Plain and simple.

The Hildabeast IS a despicable CESSPOOL of CORRUPTION.

#18 fig

fig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

thanks for the memories.

#19 dapandlap

dapandlap

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Oh Yeah I remember, at the time I was working for a Honda dealership, with access to any ATV we wanted to drive "all used bikes of course".
We drove those ATVs for a week while everyone else was stranded/stuck.
I remember doing 360s/do-nuts in the middle of the roads while passing LEOs that couldn't catch me if they wanted to. Besides just being fun we did help as much as we could with transporting any one that asked us, and also for being taxis for folks that needed to get groceries.

#20 just4me

just4me

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

I remember the storm. I was in high school and the school system let us go home early because of the pending weather. A friend came home with me and, being the stupid teenagers that we were, we decided to head out and walk to her house about 4 to 5 miles away. Thankfully, we must have called to let her parents know that we were coming because her father set out from her house to meet us. I can still hear the sound of him coming down the road in the hush of the snow fall...driving a Land Rover with snow chains. Thwap, thwap, thwap. That is my Snow Jam memory.

#21 Short -N- Sassy

Short -N- Sassy

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

I will never forget it. I worked at the Cobb Cty Courthouse and lived off Cunningham Rd. if anyone knows where that is you know it is not far. We left about 3:15 and I ended up parking my car on Hickory and walking home in high heel boots. Yea, not fun. My dad worked at lockheed and he walked part of the way home as did my husband/boyfriend at the time. He lived in Canton and there was no way he could get home. If you ever get stuck you take this stuff seriously. My butt will be at home until the roads are safe. :)

#22 icare

icare

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

I remember it well......my husband and I had been married for five months. I had taken the day off to have some things done to my car so I was at home. However, hubby worked in Atlanta on Bankhead Hwy. This was before cell phones, I told him to stay at work but he walked home through one of the most dangerous parts of Atlanta. I was very happy to have him home. He wouldn't listen to me then and that hasn't changed......

#23 C Mark Palm

C Mark Palm

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,875 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

I was six years old but still remember quite a bit of it. My step father got a call to go rescue his son on the interstate. He did and they made it home. While out there Cynthia Good from Channel 5 which was then a CBS affiliate interviewed him while he was standing on the side of the interstate. We all got a laugh because my step dad was in Mickey Mouse sweatshirt, jacket and straw hat but his son was in a business suit and she chose to interview the redneck. It never fails. They always interview the one that looks the worst. LOL. Anyway, CBS picked up the report and ran it national on the CBS Evening News.

#24 drosser

drosser

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

I was a senior in high school and working in Executive Park off I-85. The weather reports kept saying the snow was coming, but the idiot I worked for kept saying it wasn't going to happen and refused let us leave. My aunt was working downtown, so I left anyway and went to pick her up----BIG MISTAKE!!! Took us 13 hours to make a 30 minute trip home!!! I was also about 8 weeks pregnant and was worried that I'd have a miscarriage because I was so scared and stressed out!!! That's why I refuse to go to work when it's back and I refuse to stay at work if it starts snowing/sleeting, etc. We finally made it to my mom's house and my soon-to-be husband came to rescue me. His parents came and took us home. Our power went out and they had to come back and get us. We stayed with them for a week!!

I will never forget it and hope I never have to experience anything like that again!! It was by far worse then the Blizzard or '93.

#25 Devon

Devon

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

Yep...I remember it well! I left work early, picked up my son from daycare and managed to get home after sliding into a ditch. Some guys driving by helped get my car back up on the road. Hubby had to abandon his truck on Fairground St. in Marietta and paid 2 guys in a jeep to bring him home. We were stuck at home for an entire week. Nine months later our daughter was born. :ninja: :p

My parents were talking about it last night and I inadvertently found out that I was conceived during Snow Jam :bad:
I was born September 27th 1982.

#26 workingforaliving

workingforaliving

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,919 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

I wasn't even born yet. :o
Posted Image

#27 elliesgranny

elliesgranny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

My parents were talking about it last night and I inadvertently found out that I was conceived during Snow Jam :bad:
I was born September 27th 1982.

Our daughter was born October 8, 1982. I remember the nurse telling me they were swamped with "Snowjam baby births". :lol: :lol:

#28 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

I worked at C&S Bank on Bankhead Hwy (between Mableton and Austell). I finally left work about 3:00 and when I was pulling out of the parking lot--my uncle was coming down Bankhead. He stopped and told me to follow him. We had to go thru Powder Springs and 278 was of course still a 2 lane. We did fine until we got to Hiram Sudie and folks could not get up that hill at 92. He got out and told me to stay put and he went to help push folks up the hill. I finally made it home a little after 9:00 that night.

My Dad left their house on Hiram Side and went to go pick up my son at the baby sitters on Wilbanks Circle. We lived in Downtown Dallas at the time, so he took extra formula and food with him (my sister and her kids lived with my parents at the time) in case he got stranded somewhere in between, he said he could at least kick my door in if he had to and keep my son fed and warm. It took him almost 3 hrs to go from Hiram Sudie to Wilbanks Circle (off 278) and back.

We all made it home safe, but it took my mother and then husband 9 hrs to get from Atlanta. They were coming down 75 and my then husband had to get out and push everybody out of their way. She had a little Datsun at the time and they could go--but everybody else was having problems.

Needless to say there were 5 adults and 3 kids ( 2 7 month olds and a 1 yr old) in my parents house for a week). They have gas logs so we were able to stay warm.

#29 Devon

Devon

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Our daughter was born October 8, 1982. I remember the nurse telling me they were swamped with "Snowjam baby births". :lol: :lol:

Guess there wasn't much to do.. :lol:

#30 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Yep, I survived SnowJam '82. My sister and I had dental appts. in Marietta that afternoon. We were in the waiting area (no windows), and the secretary came out and told us that it was snowing HARD and sticking and that they were going to close up.

We left and headed for home (Powder Springs), but only got as far as what was then Jones Shaw Road (now Windy Hill). My mother was afraid to go any further, and she pulled into a closed-up business' parking lot and tried to call my father from the pay phone there. No answer - we found out later that he had already left work (the DPS HQ in Atlanta) because they had gotten word that the storm was moving faster than predicted.

We sat in the car for a while, then my mother spotted a lady who had come up from her house to check the mail. Mother went and asked her if she could use her phone, and this wonderful woman invited us into her home and told us we could stay there until we were rescued. One of our PS neighbors came and got us late that night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics