Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

HELP! Smoke from fireplace blowing back into house!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 buckfever

buckfever

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

Can any give me tips to help keep the smoke, from blowing back into the house, from our fireplace?

#2 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

Open the flue.
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#3 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

Open the flue.

And if that doesn't work, you need to have it cleaned out. I've forgot to open my flue more than a few times though..I have VERY sensitive smoke alarms though....they get tested every time I forget! :lol:
Glenn's Mower & Small Engine Repair
Phone: 678-315-8794
Email: glennsmowerrepair@att.net

#4 buckfever

buckfever

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

Open the flue.

It is.

#5 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

It is.

I have known of birds building nests in the top part that sticks out of the roof. Might wanna check that.

#6 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Clean it?

#7 ignoreme

ignoreme

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Sometimes you need to help get the smoke going the right way. You can try rolling a small amount of newspaper and lighting the end then holding that up towards the flue. It can help get the smoke/heat draw going the right way. I do hope it is just something that simple.

You only need two tools in life; WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

#8 buckfever

buckfever

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

And if that doesn't work, you need to have it cleaned out. I've forgot to open my flue more than a few times though..I have VERY sensitive smoke alarms though....they get tested every time I forget! :lol:

It's not dirty. I find that when the fire is going and the flue is open, air blows down the the darn thing a lot.

#9 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

Are you sure it's open? lol Just asking, 'cause the hubs and I have had many an argument when I find a smoke filled house. Everytime it's 'cause he didn't open it first.

Other than that then you prolly need it cleaned. Unless it is stuck shut or broken.
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Posted Image

#10 LPPT

LPPT

Super Icon

• +PBA Business
  • 26,231 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Very shallow very cheap fireplace inserts that they put in many of the homes during the building boom will do this in high winds no matter what.
I opted out when having mine built, I couldn't afford to upgrade so I just didn't get one.

#11 Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,296 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

I hope you get it figured out. In the morning I have
FOX5 on for sound and I hear birds chirping.

I need to have mine checked for those damn
bird nests. Fox did tell me that they play
chirping sounds when doing the weather.

I probably don't have birds in my chimney
as I have one of those cages on top.

who knows!!! :lol:
To Err is Human, To Forgive is DIVINE

Hey Look...Posted Image

Posted Image

"CLICK" Here To Start Saving On ALL Of Your Insurance Needs!
Or Call: 770-947-3560 and Start Saving $$$$$ Today!

#12 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Are you sure it's open? lol Just asking, 'cause the hubs and I have had many an argument when I find a smoke filled house. Everytime it's 'cause he didn't open it first.

Other than that then you prolly need it cleaned. Unless it is stuck shut or broken.

Yeah...not to assume (although I guess I may be doing just that) but did you lean way down and make sure that flap opened up? I have had downdrafts hit me before that blew soot EVERYWHERE...but maybe only twice in the 7 years I lived here. So, I'd make DANG sure that butterfly is open. Only hard part for me is getting someone to help me back up after I lay down and check it out. :lol:

#13 P.C. Shopper

P.C. Shopper

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Do you have tall trees all around your house, if so, you may not have enough draw? You can find out by taking a match, or lighter, and holding it in the firebox...if it gets "sucked" up the chimney, then you have good draw, if it isn't sucked up the chimeny, you need more draw. If you need more draw, this can sometimes be achieved by extending the chimney pipe up some.
"When life throws you lemons, make lemonade"

#14 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Same here...that's when the smoke alarms busted me, and I didn't have no mo dog in that fight!

#15 buckfever

buckfever

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

Very shallow very cheap fireplace inserts that they put in many of the homes during the building boom will do this in high winds no matter what.
I opted out when having mine built, I couldn't afford to upgrade so I just didn't get one.

You know, that may be it!
That sucks! We may not be able to enjoy a fire except on a calm wind day, or night.

#16 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Mine is Masonary, through and through.

Damper is dead though from years ago.

Our fireplace is more than 60" across, and we had our shop build glass doors in a steel frame with dampers on the bottom so we could shut it down.

And it works great.

We can have a stoked up fire at 11:00pm, and still have flames on the logs in the morning.

Takes it 2 days to warm up all the rocks. The chimney goes up the outside of the wall on the house and is just a massive load to warm. But, once it is warmed, it stays that way for days after the fire is out.

Problem for us is finding wood, 4' to 41/2' long, which I can still pick up to toss into the fire. We like the top limbs out of hardwoods which are 4-6" in diameter. I can handle them. If son is home, we can throw in bigger ones which burn for days if the dampers are mostly closed.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#17 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

Burn a hot fire on a calm day, it may straighten it out. I have a separate vent, like a dryer vent on the outside of my chimney, it creates it's own draft. I only have problems when it's really hot. I use my fireplace to vent my smoke from my cigarettes. I burned a creosote log this summer and all is good.

Make sure your cap is seated well, a bird could have built a nest in there. ;)
In history there are people who have had their clothes, food, housing and jobs provided to them.

Those people were called "slaves".

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#18 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

Mine is Masonary, through and through.

Damper is dead though from years ago.

Our fireplace is more than 60" across, and we had our shop build glass doors in a steel frame with dampers on the bottom so we could shut it down.

And it works great.

We can have a stoked up fire at 11:00pm, and still have flames on the logs in the morning.

Takes it 2 days to warm up all the rocks. The chimney goes up the outside of the wall on the house and is just a massive load to warm. But, once it is warmed, it stays that way for days after the fire is out.

Problem for us is finding wood, 4' to 41/2' long, which I can still pick up to toss into the fire. We like the top limbs out of hardwoods which are 4-6" in diameter. I can handle them. If son is home, we can throw in bigger ones which burn for days if the dampers are mostly closed.

If we buy "store bought 16" to 24" logs", we can burn an entire cord in a weekend. MIght was well leave the doors to the fireplace open and just throw them in.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#19 rockster

rockster

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

Call a professional out to inspect!!! Too many house fires occur during this time of year from a fireplace being either clogged or not venting right

Edited by rockster, 14 December 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#20 grumps

grumps

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

You may have had a builder who knows his job and built the house so tight so there is no draft/draw in the house. You may have to open a window slightly to cause a draft through the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics