Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

Sink and toilet are making noises and bubbling..

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

Why is my sink and toilets making funny noises and the toilet is bubbling? Please don't say septic tank...It is worse when the shower is on. Any ideas??
My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny. Elaine Maxwell

#2 Jason Johnston

Jason Johnston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

Yep. sounds like a septic tank issue. Sorry i had to say it. :-(

#3 jlh10101

jlh10101

Bad Boy in a Good Way.

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,743 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Sorry, sounds like a clogged inlet or full septic tank. :(
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Ever feel like you have a bullseye on your back? You knew I was a snake when you picked me up...

#4 VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

I agree with the other two.

#5 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

:wacko: Not good.... :(
My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny. Elaine Maxwell

#6 matthewspiglet

matthewspiglet

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

you may have a vent problem. Is it all bathrooms if you have more then one?

#7 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

We have 3 bathroom and my sister who moved in a few months ago said the toilet down stairs was making noises last week, but she didn't think to much of it. Then tonight when my daughter was in the shower she called me into the bathroom cause the toilet upstairs was making noise, at the same time that the sink in the kitchen was talking to us :unsure: My shower upstairs is all the way turned off, but wants to keep dripping (doesn't usually do that)

#8 matthewspiglet

matthewspiglet

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

We have 3 bathroom and my sister who moved in a few months ago said the toilet down stairs was making noises last week, but she didn't think to much of it. Then tonight when my daughter was in the shower she called me into the bathroom cause the toilet upstairs was making noise, at the same time that the sink in the kitchen was talking to us :unsure: My shower upstairs is all the way turned off, but wants to keep dripping (doesn't usually do that)

Hubby said that in the kitchen you may have a lil person stuck down in there just put a broom handle down in there and help the lil guy out. :lol: On the really note he said to have someone go on the roof and look in the vents to see if something is cloggin them.

#9 ignoreme

ignoreme

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

I'd check out the vent issue before panicking about the full or no-worky septic issue. Sounds like something a friend of ours dealt with a while back and they were on a brand new septic system.

You only need two tools in life; WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

#10 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hubby said that in the kitchen you may have a lil person stuck down in there just put a broom handle down in there and help the lil guy out. :lol: On the really note he said to have someone go on the roof and look in the vents to see if something is cloggin them.

The vent on the roof??? I'm so confused!

I'd check out the vent issue before panicking about the full or no-worky septic issue. Sounds like something a friend of ours dealt with a while back and they were on a brand new septic system.

We have been in our house since it was built, 8 years ago. And we have had many family members live with use over the years, currently have my sister and neice living with us know. it wouldn't suprise me if it were full :(

#11 cobbobig

cobbobig

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

http://www.ehow.com/...d-plumbing.html

Check this elsewhere but it's the first thing that came up on Google. Be sure to read the comments section.
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.” Ronald Reagan

#12 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_117396_clear-clogged-plumbing.html

Check this elsewhere but it's the first thing that came up on Google. Be sure to read the comments section.

Thanks, going to read it now.

#13 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

This is the first time I have ever heard of vents on the roof being connected to plumbing!

#14 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

This is the first time I have ever heard of vents on the roof being connected to plumbing!

Me too, but I'm no plumber.

#15 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,192 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Toilets have to be vented, and it can cause a problem if not vented correctly.

Here's something:

A vent for a toilet allows air to pass through the drainage system so that when you flush one toilet it doesn't suck the water out of all the other toilets in the house. Also, and more importantly without a vent a vacuum would be created when flushing that would potentially pull back sewer gas. As for where the vent is located, it really depends on the particular house. Older homes tend to have just one larger vent that extends through the roof. In newer homes, local code now usually stipulates multiple vents. In either case your best bet may be to get onto the roof and see if you can locate it(them) that way.

#16 Gem Man 86

Gem Man 86

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

Vent on the roof? Well, it is the end of a vent or vents which connect to showers, toilets, sinks ect. Usually, plumbers tie bathrooms into one vent which keeps vent pipes through the roof to a minimum.

For your noise, I would lean towards septic as this is a new issue and not an existing issue. For instance, if your vent pipes were too small then you might get "gurgling" from sinks ect. when you flush a toilet. Also, would happen if vent pipes were semi-blocked.

Why venting is needed? Well, there are a couple of reasons but one is most important and I will try to give an example. Example: When you pour a soft drink into a cup it gurgles as it attempts to replace the liquid going out with air. If you slow down your pouring and perhaps level the bottle you would notice it not gurgling as the liquid leaving is replaced with air at an "equal" rate.

Vents tied into your plumbing do the same thing and allows for a quiet flush.

You could look down the vent or vents on the roof or you could help the local economy and call someone who gets paid to climb up on roofs.. :) A plumber.. Beside an honest plumber and a good plumber knows exactly what your problem is likely to be.

Not me, I said a plumber.. :)

Gem Man 86

#17 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

Septic tank is full and backing up into the drain pipe from the house.

#18 Zipperneck

Zipperneck

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

Forgive me...

But, why is it that after reading this topic I picture Uncle Eddie in a bathrobe! :pardon:

:rofl: :p

#19 Clio

Clio

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

definitely sounds septic tank related. We had the same problem a few weeks ago, got the tank pumped, stopped doing it for a few days, then came back. Turns out we needed a whole new drain field. There went our beautiful yard <_<
It is never too late to be what you might have been---George Eliot

Some people dream of having a big swimming pool. With me, it's closets---Audrey Hepburn

The world breaks everyone, and afterward many are strong in the broken places---Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

26+6=1

#20 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

definitely sounds septic tank related. We had the same problem a few weeks ago, got the tank pumped, stopped doing it for a few days, then came back. Turns out we needed a whole new drain field. There went our beautiful yard <_<

Hoping for the best, and calling a plumber tomorrow, and keeping fingers crossed for an easy fix! B)

#21 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:29 PM

Vent on the roof? Well, it is the end of a vent or vents which connect to showers, toilets, sinks ect. Usually, plumbers tie bathrooms into one vent which keeps vent pipes through the roof to a minimum.

For your noise, I would lean towards septic as this is a new issue and not an existing issue. For instance, if your vent pipes were too small then you might get "gurgling" from sinks ect. when you flush a toilet. Also, would happen if vent pipes were semi-blocked.

Why venting is needed? Well, there are a couple of reasons but one is most important and I will try to give an example. Example: When you pour a soft drink into a cup it gurgles as it attempts to replace the liquid going out with air. If you slow down your pouring and perhaps level the bottle you would notice it not gurgling as the liquid leaving is replaced with air at an "equal" rate.

You could look down the vent or vents on the roof or you could help the local economy and call someone who gets paid to climb up on roofs.. :) A plumber.. Beside an honest plumber and a good plumber knows exactly what your problem is likely to be.

Gem Man 86

Since hubby just got on a plane to baltimore, it will be a plumber being called, no way my butt is climbing on that steep roof in this weather! LOL, thanks for the information!

#22 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,210 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

Pennywise.

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#23 mkmomto3j

mkmomto3j

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

I was so glad to see this post as our toilets have made some bubbling noises a few times. May be time to call my uncle handy man to come take a look cause if my husband says he will check it out it may be months before he gets around to it! lol

#24 jenilyn

jenilyn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

Forgive me...

But, why is it that after reading this topic I picture Uncle Eddie in a bathrobe! :pardon:

:rofl: :p

:good: You mean Cousin Eddie!
No man ever stands taller than when he kneels to help another.

If they laugh at you because you're different, laugh at them because they're all the same.

#25 Zipperneck

Zipperneck

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

:good: You mean Cousin Eddie!

You're right...my bad! Either way, that is all I pictured in my head when reading the topic. :blush:

#26 blessedwithboys

blessedwithboys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

Yep, reading this thread has been very interesting. My toilets don't make noice, but my sinks do... every time we flush! And we're not on a spectic. I've been afraid of calling a plummer... afraid of what they'll find. Is the venting thing only for septic systems?

Does anyone have a good trustworthy, honest plummer to recomend?
Delight thyself also in the Lord; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalms 37:4 KJV ><((((º>

#27 DEEP

DEEP

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

GTL Plumming is who i use. They have recently installed an entire bathroom downstairs. They are honest, Nice, and very knowledgeable. I definitely like Gene a LOT. LT
DEEP Green Products saves you money monthly. Your power company wont tell you that.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=F0OrgWVRFn8 Here is a very small video sample.

#28 workinmom

workinmom

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

2 phone estimates so far, looks like I'll be forking out about $250.00 for it to be pumped if that is the problem and unfortunatly no luck on getting anyone today :(
I'm thinking it should be fine for another day, just won't wash laundray or use the dishwasher.

#29 Christa01

Christa01

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

Just an FYI, having the septic tank pumped may not fix your problem. We had our tank pumped about 5 months ago, it stopped gurgling for about a month, and then it was right back to normal.

#30 matthewspiglet

matthewspiglet

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

The vent on the roof??? I'm so confused!

We have been in our house since it was built, 8 years ago. And we have had many family members live with use over the years, currently have my sister and neice living with us know. it wouldn't suprise me if it were full :(

Yeah i never knew that either until i married a plumber. He took me outside and said look up at the roof. Ok see those white pipes stickin up? Yes thats the vents. So thats how i found out.

#31 Quality Service Tire

Quality Service Tire

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,638 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Our septic tank just backed up in the house we are renting yesterday. Water backed up in the toilets and the showers.....yuck!!! They can't come pump today because it is below freezing. But our landlord is taking care of it. Guess it hasn't been pumped in years.....but still no baths, laundry, washing dishes and etc. until they can pump. Said it would probably be tomorrow.

FOR THE LOWEST POSSIBLE PRICES AROUND. CALL ABOUT OUR OTHER AUTOMOTIVE SERVICES AND COMMERCIAL VEHICLE SERVICES AVAILABLE AND MORE.....CALL US FIRST!!!!!!
WANT CASH FOR THOSE WRECKED OR JUNK VEHICLES? Give us a call and we will pick up for FREE!!

29B Wolf Pen Path
Dallas, GA 30157
770/505-6778

CALL AND ASK FOR JEFF

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
---Arnold Schwarzenegger

#32 Gem Man 86

Gem Man 86

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

Well, if this happened in our family the men would grab a shovel and begin digging for the septic tank. Every tank has a lid whether it is small like a manhole or big like the older tanks which were large concrete lids...heavy. In any case, if we really thought it was the septic we would just dig it up, open the lid, and look inside. If it wasn't full then we saved our selves some money. Of course once opened you can inspect the inflow pipe and also gauge how many roots have impacted your septic.

For instance, lets say your septic were full but it also appeared to have heavy amounts of roots---well once they empty that tank you are probably going to have to clear your drain field (usually temporary fix).

Any who... I am not a plumber but I have dealt with my fair share of plumbing issues.

Also, digging up a septic tank isn't fun by no means so once again...invest in your local economy and let someone who gets paid to dig do it for you..a plumber. :)

Yep, reading this thread has been very interesting. My toilets don't make noice, but my sinks do... every time we flush! And we're not on a spectic. I've been afraid of calling a plummer... afraid of what they'll find. Is the venting thing only for septic systems?

If I had to guess I would say your venting is inferior which is causing gurgling.
  • Ernnnnnnnn and GipperGirlGotsMoxie like this

#33 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,560 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Vents, and "P" traps keep sewer gases out of your house. They are required for septic or sewer.

Water will not drain from the tub or sink as fast if the vents are inferior or missing.

if you have a sink installed later, away from the rest of the stacked vents with the toilets, they may have used the burp vents which actually are inside the wall instead of going up through the roof. They can stop working altogether and the sink will just drain very, very slowly.
  • GipperGirlGotsMoxie likes this
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#34 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

If a sink or toilet is bubbling when a shower runs, washing machine empties, or tub empties - then it's a venting problem. If the septic tank was full, you'd know it.
  • GipperGirlGotsMoxie likes this

Posted Image

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies…

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Senator Barack Obama

#35 GipperGirlGotsMoxie

GipperGirlGotsMoxie

Wicked smart

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 11,339 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:58 AM

Gem Man 86

well said, G-Man and good advice...although my experience with plumbers has not been the best :blush:.
"Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."- Churchill

#36 ApolloBeachRetiree

ApolloBeachRetiree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:34 AM

Well, if this happened in our family the men would grab a shovel and begin digging for the septic tank. Every tank has a lid whether it is small like a manhole or big like the older tanks which were large concrete lids...heavy. In any case, if we really thought it was the septic we would just dig it up, open the lid, and look inside. If it wasn't full then we saved our selves some money. Of course once opened you can inspect the inflow pipe and also gauge how many roots have impacted your septic.

For instance, lets say your septic were full but it also appeared to have heavy amounts of roots---well once they empty that tank you are probably going to have to clear your drain field (usually temporary fix).

Any who... I am not a plumber but I have dealt with my fair share of plumbing issues.

Also, digging up a septic tank isn't fun by no means so once again...invest in your local economy and let someone who gets paid to dig do it for you..a plumber. :)

If I had to guess I would say your venting is inferior which is causing gurgling.

We had gurgling in one bathroom and the kitchen. It was caused by one drain being almost completely plugged. I bought some heavy duty drain cleaner (in the black plastic bottle with warnings all over it) from Home Depot when the drain finally would not drain anymore. I let it sit for about 4 hours and voilà! Problem fixed. That particular drain was hooked to the washer and must have been plugged with soap.

I'd make sure my drains were clear first and then call a plumber.

Edited by PowderSpringsDad, 14 December 2010 - 05:34 AM.

I agree with Bobby Jindal -

I am tired of the left. They say they’re for tolerance, they say they respect diversity. The reality is this: They respect everybody unless you happen to disagree with them. The left is trying to silence us and I’m tired of it, I won’t take it anymore.

#37 freebird20050

freebird20050

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

well said, G-Man and good advice...although my experience with plumbers has not been the best :blush:.

Call PAULDING PLBG & SEPTIC 770-880-6124 Master Licensed Plumber, Honest and Reasonable Rates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics