25 replies to this topic

#1 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

Im just curious if there are any restaurants that take checks anymore. I think the only ones that were left were pizza and chinese and they no longer except them either.

#2 mkmomto3j

mkmomto3j

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

We still do at Rodney's :clapping:

#3 gwilli8866

gwilli8866

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

Baby Janes takes checks also.

#4 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

Thanks!

#5 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,888 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Why?

I was in the grocery line behind someone that was writing a check. Why would anyone write a check these days?
  • Palm Trees Rock likes this

#6 fasn8nmom

fasn8nmom

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Wallace's in Yorkville does.
Laugh and the world laughs with you, whine and I'm going home

#7 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Why?

I was in the grocery line behind someone that was writing a check. Why would anyone write a check these days?

Good question, especially at a restaurant. The days of floating a check for a day or two are gone. They are posted electronically and can come through almost as fast as a debit.
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#8 Mommy2Three

Mommy2Three

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

maybe she lost her debit card and has to use checks until her new card comes in and doesn't have time to go to the bank today.

or sometimes I'll write a check for gas or groceries the night before my check goes in. I don't keep checks for that reason, but it's nice to have the option if it's needed.
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Rest in Peace Dillan Alexander Porter and Gina Marie Laird 1-23-2007
Rest in peace J.B. Blinkhorn 7-5-2008
Rest in peace Grandma Joan 2-14-2009

#9 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,888 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Good question, especially at a restaurant. The days of floating a check for a day or two are gone. They are posted electronically and can come through almost as fast as a debit.

That's what popped in my mind...the whole "floating a check" thing. But then i thought that surely someone wouldn't float a check to GO OUT TO EAT. And then I thought that maybe they lost their debit card and couldn't get to the bank during business hours to take out money. I went with the benefit of the doubt.

Lots of people nay say credit cards, but the latter reason is exactly why I have them. Well, and points.

#10 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

or sometimes I'll write a check for gas or groceries the night before my check goes in. I don't keep checks for that reason, but it's nice to have the option if it's needed.

Be careful with that, some smaller places are converting the checks to a debit on the spot and handing the check back to you.

BTW - I understand if it's a lost debit card.

Then there are some people I've talked with who won't have one out of fear people would raid their account daily. Their hair dresser's son-in-law's cousin had one and was always needing help because couldn't keep the thieves away from their bank account.
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#11 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

maybe she lost her debit card and has to use checks until her new card comes in and doesn't have time to go to the bank today.

I was coming back on here to answer that and I see you already have me taken care of :)

I love how you know me so well :wub:

#12 Mommy2Three

Mommy2Three

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

Be careful with that, some smaller places are converting the checks to a debit on the spot and handing the check back to you.

it's really rare that i have to, and I only do it at one place, but I always ask first....that would stink to get a ODP fee the night before my paycheck went in.....it'd stink anytime, but it'd really chap my hide if it was the night before. :mellow:
Posted Image

#13 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,443 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

People still write checks in 2010??
:blink:

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#14 Mommy2Three

Mommy2Three

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

I was coming back on here to answer that and I see you already have me taken care of :)

I love how you know me so well :wub:

yeahh.... :wub:
Posted Image

#15 raclay

raclay

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

Last year I was shocked when I went to Mrs. Wlikes boarding house for lunch, they only accept cash or checks NO credit or debit. We have a rule in our house though, if we don't have the cash to go out to eat then we eat at home. Now I am not bashing the OP, because I have had to use my credit card in a restaurant before in a pinch we just try not to do that if possible.

So you're not from the South, that's okay, you got here as fast as you could.

#16 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:00 PM

Apparently. ^_^

And up until a couple months ago I was still using a payphone. ;)

#17 Mommy2Three

Mommy2Three

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

yeah, i use them for my daycare and my monthly utilities....I don't like being charged a fee to make a payment over the phone and I don't get paid the same day each month so I don't want them drafting out for me automatically. Plus my online Bill Pay blows, so it's just easier for me that way.

Apparently. ^_^

And up until a couple months ago I was still using a payphone. ;)

lol. when you told me about the payphone a few months ago I was like "For real?! Where are there any left?!"
Posted Image

#18 NoReason

NoReason

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

I still write checks :unsure: bills, wal mart, sams, kroger, etc. Nothing wrong with it. My choice even if some choose not to. :good:
  • Póg mo thóin, NoPickles4Me, MeWhoElse and 1 other like this
If you can't laugh at yourself,
Somebody else will.

#19 ignoreme

ignoreme

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Some people prefer the better documentation a check provides, too. A lot of businesses process debit cards under a different name and it can be a PITA for some people to have to figure out what ABC Enterprises is when they don't recall ever patronizing a business of that name only to find out later that 123 Inc. processes debits under the ABC Enterprises name. (This sort of thing is very common.) Meanwhile, a check is very clear.

You only need two tools in life; WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

#20 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,888 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

Some people prefer the better documentation a check provides, too. A lot of businesses process debit cards under a different name and it can be a PITA for some people to have to figure out what ABC Enterprises is when they don't recall ever patronizing a business of that name only to find out later that 123 Inc. processes debits under the ABC Enterprises name. (This sort of thing is very common.) Meanwhile, a check is very clear.

Hence, why I pay for nearly everything with a credit card. Convenience meets security.

#21 kbush11

kbush11

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

I use my debit card for everything but I do like to keep a few checks with me because I have occasionally been stuck at a store when their machine was down.

#22 CABYEYE

CABYEYE

The egg snatcher!

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Last year I was shocked when I went to Mrs. Wlikes boarding house for lunch, they only accept cash or checks NO credit or debit. We have a rule in our house though, if we don't have the cash to go out to eat then we eat at home. Now I am not bashing the OP, because I have had to use my credit card in a restaurant before in a pinch we just try not to do that if possible.

Frontier in Rockmat was the same way last time I viisted them.

#23 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

Plus with the checks where you automatically get a "copy" of it, I can file the "copy" within my medical expenses/bills files or the charity donations or ??? and get a copy for tax purposes :)
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#24 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

Every time I see someone write a check my thought is. They are hoping the sucker does not clear for two days. lol

The ONLY reason we even have a check book is for school stuff.

Edited by CarolineElizabeth, 01 December 2010 - 04:59 PM.

#25 NoPickles4Me

NoPickles4Me

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

I think Joan's in Dallas still takes checks. Some of the individually owned eating places don't take the debit card because of the fees they would need to pay to have the machine.

#26 mei lan

mei lan

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Then there are some people I've talked with who won't have one out of fear people would raid their account daily. Their hair dresser's son-in-law's cousin had one and was always needing help because couldn't keep the thieves away from their bank account.

HAHAHAHAHAA :good:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics