27 replies to this topic

#1 Catherine FCP GA

Catherine FCP GA

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

Okay so we have a basement/garage and none of our pets go down there. We have paid hundreds of dollars for flea preventative for all our animals and thought our home has been flea free... The other night my husband was in the garage area and his white soxs turned BLACK!! With fleas... I flipped out!!!

There is nothing but concrete on the floors... Why are there so many fleas?

I will not let anyone down there!!! NO WAY!!!

My BIG QUESTION:

HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM??

#2 bonded

bonded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Diatomaceous Earth will do it. all natural and just spread it on the floor and leave. Elrod's garden has it.

#3 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Okay so we have a basement/garage and none of our pets go down there. We have paid hundreds of dollars for flea preventative for all our animals and thought our home has been flea free... The other night my husband was in the garage area and his white soxs turned BLACK!! With fleas... I flipped out!!!

My BIG QUESTION:

Put flea collars on your husband's ankles?

Not trying to make light of the subject...but I have never heard of this type of infestation?

Seriously, you might try one of those insect 'bombs' or call one of the local exterminators to determine how they would be in the basement...maybe squirrels or something else is there as a food source for them?

Keep us posted...
!CAUTION! POSTS THAT ARE ENCLOSED BY BRACKETS ([ ]) ARE MOST LIKELY QUOTED TONGUE-IN-CHEEK...

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."

William F. Buckley Jr.

#4 Burnt Hickory Mimi

Burnt Hickory Mimi

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

More than likely sand fleas. We had them in our basement. Call the exterminator!!

#5 CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

I used to date a lady who had this problem. She tried bombing, but it didnt work. She ended up having to call the orkin man. In retrospect I dont think she called him to deal with the fleas in the basement. Se la Vi.
"Cannon to the right of them, Cannon to the left of them, Cannon in front of them, Volleyed and thundered." -Excerpt from A. Lord Tennyson's The Charge of the Light Brigade

“I may be President of the United States, but my private life is nobody’s damned business.” -Chester A. Arthur

Posted ImageSKRONK!!!

#6 Catherine FCP GA

Catherine FCP GA

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

Diatomaceous Earth will do it. all natural and just spread it on the floor and leave. Elrod's garden has it.

Thanks! Will go tomorrow and get some!! I have tried the bombs-no luck.... Exterminator would be $65.00 then $40.00 a month to continue treating... Just dont have that kind of spare money right now.

#7 krwills

krwills

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

Good luck! I have been fighting them all summer in our basement. I tried diatomaceaus earth, waited a week and still had them. I got an exterminator that has sprayed twice a month now for three months.
They don't seem to like me, but get on my husband still, if he goes down there.
It is unfinished and has no furnishings in there. I have no pets. I also have no clue what else to do. I just keep vacuuming and having them spray. (yes, bagging and disposing of the vacuum contents)
The postings you may read may not always be the thoughts of both owners..

Posted Image

#8 ♥GaLinemansWife♥

♥GaLinemansWife♥

Behind blue eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

I used to date a lady who had this problem. She tried bombing, but it didnt work. She ended up having to call the orkin man. In retrospect I dont think she called him to deal with the fleas in the basement. Se la Vi.

:rofl: Did ya'll have a frequent leaky faucet as well?? :blush:
When the lights go out, my lineman gets it on

Posted Image

#9 TheLeCroyGang

TheLeCroyGang

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Sevin dust or 20 mule team borax? Those used to be the old stand bys for fleas when I was a kid. Daddy would sprinkle it out and leave it. Our basement was unfinished. The only things down there were washer/dryer and his work shop.
Don't tell God about your storms, Tell the storms about Your God!

#10 CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Posted Image Did ya'll have a frequent leaky faucet as well?? Posted Image

Yesm how did you know? Oddly she also had to have the carpetting replaced and the wealls repainted frequently and she was always having computer problems so shede have geek squad come over while I was at work not to mention her car always needed some kind of maintenence so she had a mechanic always coming over for something....talk about high maintenance.....Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
"Cannon to the right of them, Cannon to the left of them, Cannon in front of them, Volleyed and thundered." -Excerpt from A. Lord Tennyson's The Charge of the Light Brigade

“I may be President of the United States, but my private life is nobody’s damned business.” -Chester A. Arthur

Posted ImageSKRONK!!!

#11 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

Thanks! Will go tomorrow and get some!! I have tried the bombs-no luck.... Exterminator would be $65.00 then $40.00 a month to continue treating... Just dont have that kind of spare money right now.

Observe the safe handling rules for this stuff!

http://www.sciencela...s_earth-9923703
!CAUTION! POSTS THAT ARE ENCLOSED BY BRACKETS ([ ]) ARE MOST LIKELY QUOTED TONGUE-IN-CHEEK...

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."

William F. Buckley Jr.

#12 BabeCake

BabeCake

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

You won't be able to stop them until you find out where they're coming from. Do your neighbors have outside pets? If so, the fleas could be coming from the yard and making themselves at home each time you open the garage door. You probably need to treat your yard too.

#13 Catherine FCP GA

Catherine FCP GA

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

What exterminator do yall recommend?

#14 krwills

krwills

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

not mine
Teems is who is not getting rid of mine.
The postings you may read may not always be the thoughts of both owners..

Posted Image

#15 GeorgiaTornado

GeorgiaTornado

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,080 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Go to the local do it yourself pest control company in Lithia Springs. I've known him for years....he's married to my bff :)

#16 TheLeCroyGang

TheLeCroyGang

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

Direct Pest.
Don't tell God about your storms, Tell the storms about Your God!

#17 Python

Python

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Sevin Dust!!!!! Let it sit for a couple of days then vacuum, vacuum, vacuum.... We tried poisons, bombs, vacuuming at least twice a day and exterminators for months with no luck. Someone suggested Sevin Dust and it worked first try. We have been flea free for a year now.

#18 CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImageSKRONK!!!

#19 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

What exterminator do yall recommend?

Arrow....Linda is the terrorist of pest control....

William F. Buckley Jr.

#20 JBrigman

JBrigman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

Ivory Liquid Soap approach: Rather than poisoning fleas, Ivory reportedly suffocates fleas, gnats and other bugs. To spray Ivory in your yard, use a garden sprayer attachment such as the one made by Ortho Sprayer. Fill it with Ivory and set the dilution dial to 2 tablespoons. Saturate the area, then let it dry before allowing your dog or anyone else walk on the treated ground. Using this method, people treat their yards every 4 to 6 weeks.

* Homemade solution to repel insects from from Hints from Heloise: Make a solution of 1/2-cup of liquid dishwashing soap, 2 tablespoons of ammonia, and 5 to 7 cups of water. Use a bottle spray attachment to apply the solution.

* Outdoor/indoor bugzapper alternative: Pour some water in a white dinner plate and add a few drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dish detergent. Set the dish on your porch, patio or other area. Mosquitoes reportedly flock to the dish and then die at or within a few feet of the dish, soon after drinking the mixture. Joy was the specified detergent, but other brands can work.
Don't Litter -- Fix Your Critter! And remember, rescued animals make the best pets!

#21 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,597 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

My BIG QUESTION:

Why are you yelling at me????
It's like Billy Mays is back!!! :yahoo:

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#22 Catherine FCP GA

Catherine FCP GA

Paulding Com member

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

Love all the ideas!!! Thanks!!! Think I am going to Seven Dust my Basement and then Ivory my yard!!! Then if that does not work.... Call Arrow!

#23 themetcalfs

themetcalfs

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

My BIG QUESTION:

We had sand fleas in our basement as a kid and we got rid of them with seven dust spread on the floor .

#24 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,211 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

My mom had sand fleas in her crawl space years ago. She had ONE visit from Northwest Exterminating and never had to have them come for sand fleas again. Give them a call. Don't have their number handy but they are located there on Business 6 near Hardee St. We have used them several times in the past for fleas and it always works, without monthly visits.

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

n7C4m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#25 weatherboy

weatherboy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Ivory Liquid Soap approach: Rather than poisoning fleas, Ivory reportedly suffocates fleas, gnats and other bugs. To spray Ivory in your yard, use a garden sprayer attachment such as the one made by Ortho Sprayer. Fill it with Ivory and set the dilution dial to 2 tablespoons. Saturate the area, then let it dry before allowing your dog or anyone else walk on the treated ground. Using this method, people treat their yards every 4 to 6 weeks.

* Homemade solution to repel insects from from Hints from Heloise: Make a solution of 1/2-cup of liquid dishwashing soap, 2 tablespoons of ammonia, and 5 to 7 cups of water. Use a bottle spray attachment to apply the solution.

* Outdoor/indoor bugzapper alternative: Pour some water in a white dinner plate and add a few drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dish detergent. Set the dish on your porch, patio or other area. Mosquitoes reportedly flock to the dish and then die at or within a few feet of the dish, soon after drinking the mixture. Joy was the specified detergent, but other brands can work.

But they die full of joy.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Gone

Gone

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

I also had successwith sevin dust,....but everything must be out of the area.No boxes...nothing,just bare concrete floor.

#27 P.C. Shopper

P.C. Shopper

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

If someone posted this, I'm sorry, but, I don't want to read through all the topics. Fast, cheap way:

take a bowl/paint pan/ whatever and put dish soap (no water) in the bottom. The fleas jump in, stick and die. Works like a charmPosted Image
"When life throws you lemons, make lemonade"

#28 Thoughts

Thoughts

Demon begone!!!

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

You're not gonna like hearing this but the little varmints are not crawling in on their own. Unless your pets are going down there or have been down there recentily, they are riding in on bigger varmints, probably rats. Check for droppings around the corners. Is the area "finished"???
Posted Image Posted Image

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Religion in Government is like Gang Rape. 5 out of the 6 participants thinks it's great, done by popular concensus and morally justified because the Bible and "god" said they could. Publicly the 5 condem it but have no problems privately supporting it or participating in it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics