15 replies to this topic

#1 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

OK, I have searched and searched paulding.gov codes and ordinances and I cannot locate anything outlining any limitations on discharging a firearm.

Does any one know what if any restrictions there are ?

I seem to recall there is a minimum distance to the nearest house, but I can't confirm this.

This spring we have houses 50 feet from our South property line. Never had that problem before.

We have rabbits coming out of the woods on the North side of our land, and they are now being seen early morning-late afternoon evening, within 50 feet or so of our recently planted lettuce, broccoli, etc. So it is time to dispatch of few of the B'rer Rabbits BEFORE they get into MrsSurepip's veggies.

Anyone know what the current regulations are ?
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#2 scannin'yourheart

scannin'yourheart

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

I found this

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-103
Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.

and
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-104
Discharge of firearms on property of another

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm on the property of another person, firm, or corporation without having first obtained permission from the owner or lessee of the property. This Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Persons who fire or discharge a firearm in defense of person or property; and

(2) Law enforcement officers.

(B) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this Code section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
and this
Local Laws

While state law has preemption over most firearm laws, this does not mean that there are no local firearm ordinances. Many cities and a growing number of the metro counties have a complete ban on the discharge of firearms (except in self-defense). Other cities and counties have a ban on discharging a firearm within a certain distance from a road or a neighbor's house or land owned by the city/county. Check Municode.com to see if your local ordinances are online. Also please be aware that knives are often regulated by locals so be careful with carrying a knife.

I found this

O.C.G.A. 16-11-103
Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.

and
O.C.G.A. 16-11-104
Discharge of firearms on property of another

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm on the property of another person, firm, or corporation without having first obtained permission from the owner or lessee of the property. This Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Persons who fire or discharge a firearm in defense of person or property; and

(2) Law enforcement officers.

(B) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this Code section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
and this
Local Laws

While state law has preemption over most firearm laws, this does not mean that there are no local firearm ordinances. Many cities and a growing number of the metro counties have a complete ban on the discharge of firearms (except in self-defense). Other cities and counties have a ban on discharging a firearm within a certain distance from a road or a neighbor's house or land owned by the city/county. Check Municode.com to see if your local ordinances are online. Also please be aware that knives are often regulated by locals so be careful with carrying a knife.

So you probably should call the sheriff's dept and ask them

Edited by scannin'yourheart, 28 March 2010 - 04:43 PM.

"People who live in
glass houses shouldn't
throw stones"

#3 PsychoMom

PsychoMom

La La La . . . I can't hear you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Back before they put houses on the land next to us, we had a deer hunter who hung his deer stand so close to our house that I could see him completely! That side of our log house is covered with bullet holes from those days. The first year they were there, my dog got shot. The guy hanging in the tree right over the line complained to my husband because I put out speakers and put on a sermon about men not spending enough time with their wives. My husband told him I could do whatever I wanted in my yard.

Sometimes I would even go outside and just shoot in the air and yell, "The deer are gone now, you can leave!" I couldn't let my kids even go play in their own yard when he was out there! The man was an idiot!!! He had acres and acres of land, and he chose to hang in my backyard. My husband is a hunter, I have no problem with that part, but use some freaking common sense! And I love it when everyone in the family comes here to sight in their rifles. My husband doesn't even do that around here.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old we grow old because we stop playing."
(George Bernard Shaw)

#4 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

You may have to invest in some rebbit boxes and catch them.

#5 MAH

MAH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

Posted Image

Back before they put houses on the land next to us, we had a deer hunter who hung his deer stand so close to our house that I could see him completely! That side of our log house is covered with bullet holes from those days. The first year they were there, my dog got shot. The guy hanging in the tree right over the line complained to my husband because I put out speakers and put on a sermon about men not spending enough time with their wives. My husband told him I could do whatever I wanted in my yard.

Sometimes I would even go outside and just shoot in the air and yell, "The deer are gone now, you can leave!" I couldn't let my kids even go play in their own yard when he was out there! The man was an idiot!!! He had acres and acres of land, and he chose to hang in my backyard. My husband is a hunter, I have no problem with that part, but use some freaking common sense! And I love it when everyone in the family comes here to sight in their rifles. My husband doesn't even do that around here.

Posted Image

#6 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

I meant rabbit boxes, it has been a long day.

#7 Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,372 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

I am not sure what the ordinance is but I bought my Son a 22 CAL pellet gun
and it will take down a rabbit. (Hit in in the head)

Oh, they are whisper quiet :rolleyes:
To Err is Human, To Forgive is DIVINE

Hey Look...Posted Image

Posted Image

"CLICK" Here To Start Saving On ALL Of Your Insurance Needs!
Or Call: 770-947-3560 and Start Saving $$$$$ Today!

#8 Mrs. C

Mrs. C

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

You're not gonna shoot the Easter Bunny, are ya? 8)

#9 numbersgurl

numbersgurl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

I had many instances like that when we first moved here 15 years ago too. My husband works long hours and sometimes I could actually hear the hunters talking around dusk so I knew they had to be on our land or very close at least. Everyone always thought I was over-reacting but I absolutely hated it and the gunshots scared my 6 year old daughter to death.
Where you have been is not as important as where you are going.

#10 cherokeewoman

cherokeewoman

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

Surepip I think it has to do with the amount of land you are on.... we own acerage, and right after the development came behind us my hubby, a popo was pratice shooting, and the sales office called the law, they came out and talked, and said sorry, we have no cause...

#11 Ugadawgs98

Ugadawgs98

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

The only two laws are posted above. Unless it can be proven that the manner in which they are shooting is endangering others it is completely legal.

#12 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

You're not gonna shoot the Easter Bunny, are ya? 8)

We actually used to have roast rabbit for Easter Dinner.....most appropriate don't you think ?

We tried trapping before.....waste of time. We found reducing the population by shooting them much more effective.

Unfortunately for the rabbits, around our house is the only refuge they have. The developer clear cut and bulldozed everything else. But we invest too much time and money in the vegetable garden to let them have it. I will just have to stop within 50 years of the road, which leaves me plenty of room. We were OK with them on the edge of the woods near the street, but they have been working their way towards the back where the garden is, so it is time to dispatch some of them.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#13 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

OK, I have searched and searched paulding.gov codes and ordinances and I cannot locate anything outlining any limitations on discharging a firearm.

Does any one know what if any restrictions there are ?

I seem to recall there is a minimum distance to the nearest house, but I can't confirm this.

This spring we have houses 50 feet from our South property line. Never had that problem before.

We have rabbits coming out of the woods on the North side of our land, and they are now being seen early morning-late afternoon evening, within 50 feet or so of our recently planted lettuce, broccoli, etc. So it is time to dispatch of few of the B'rer Rabbits BEFORE they get into MrsSurepip's veggies.

Anyone know what the current regulations are ?

Don't be huntin' no rabbits out of season...Have a heart traps are cheap and legal all year round...LOL
!CAUTION! POSTS THAT ARE ENCLOSED BY BRACKETS ([ ]) ARE MOST LIKELY QUOTED TONGUE-IN-CHEEK...

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."

William F. Buckley Jr.

#14 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

Don't be huntin' no rabbits out of season...Have a heart traps are cheap and legal all year round...LOL

I am not intending to be "hunting rabbits out of season". I only intend to shoot rabbits who are attempting to trespass in my garden. The signs are posted. Hope they can read. :pardon:

#15 dapandlap

dapandlap

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Send Ellie Mae out yonder to fetch dem air varmits

#16 Firestalker

Firestalker

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hey Surepip it's your old pest control tech. Check with the DNR. They have special guidelines if it's considered a rodent. I know you must destroy any wild life caught by a local trapper. If you use a save a heart trap. They don't want to spread diseases or rabies to other animal populations. But the DNR may be able to help you with the classification of whats legal and whats not for a private citizen and rodents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics