:blink:

#2 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Interesting. I thought the DEA handled all of that stuff already....??
Glenn's Mower & Small Engine Repair
Phone: 678-315-8794
Email: glennsmowerrepair@att.net

#3 mrsdavidj6

mrsdavidj6

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

The statement that "got" me was the nearby pharmacist that ran out of pain pills????? WOW!

#4 Sellersgirl1012

Sellersgirl1012

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

I work in the medical field and you would be SHOCKED to find out how many of these offices are around. Even right here in Paulding. It's disgusting to know how many licenced drug dealers there are out there. And we wonder why there is such a pill epidemic these days.

#5 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

wow. I had no idea. I always wondered what those pain management signs were for. I see them all over the place at intersections.
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Posted Image

#6 Adam&Jessica

Adam&Jessica

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

wow. I had no idea. I always wondered what those pain management signs were for. I see them all over the place at intersections.

Alot of the people who get these pills either sell them, or give them away to others who can't get them because they are addicts. And the worst part of it is that govt assistance pays for some of the pills that end up being sold. We buy drugs for drug dealers, scary, huh?

#7 ShortyRT

ShortyRT

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

Alot of the people who get these pills either sell them, or give them away to others who can't get them because they are addicts. And the worst part of it is that govt assistance pays for some of the pills that end up being sold. We buy drugs for drug dealers, scary, huh?

Okay so the part in bold I have a problem with. But other than that what harm is being done except to the person taking the drugs? Why waste tax dollars passing laws and policing what people do to themselves? Don't use money that you have taken from me to try to "fix" someone else from what THEY want to do. This being said, I do agree with drug testing people on the government dole BECAUSE they are using MY money to buy the drugs.

Edited by ShortyRT, 26 March 2010 - 10:36 AM.

#8 nowens98

nowens98

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

Strong measures need to be taken to stop this "pill epedmic".

Last summer this very thing hit WAY too close to home for me. I had new neighbors move in (a married couple with a little boy) 2-3 years ago and became friends with the wife. After a little while I noticed strange behavior and she admittedly told me that she was on several medications (xanax, anti-depressants and a variety of pain meds). She tried "detoxing" a few times but always starting taking them again. Maybe she ran out and she said she was detoxing until she got more. I realized she had a big problem and distanced myself from her. I had a c-section last March and she came knocking on my door asking me for some of Percocet that had been prescribed as I recovered. I did not give her any!

Another one of my neighbors is a retired Marine that is suffering from PTSD from being in Iraq. He is on lots of meds, too. I think he and my other neighbor would swap pills. One evening, all of our kids were outside playing and they were talking about Ambien and how the second neighbor was taking it with xanax. I think he gave some to her b/c her dr told her NOT to take the 2 together so she couldn't get an Rx for it.

One Monday she called and asked if I wanted to bring my kids to the pool to play with her son and I declined. The next day her son went to his grandparents house and she went to the pool again...along with taking the pills, she was drinking (heavily from what I have been told) Wed morning she was found dead...she never woke up. The story is that she had "respiritory failure" but I am convinced it was the pills.

I am so thankful that her son was not home. I feel so sad for him not having his mom anymore, he loved her SO much! What makes it worse is that dad has a drinking problem. The other day he called and asked if my kids wanted to come out to play with his son and so we went out...He had 2 glasses of something, I could smell the alcohol from 2 feet away. As soon as the kids got done playing he got in his car and took his son to get some dinner. :blink:

#9 EJ78

EJ78

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Its really too bad that people have to give these clinics such a bad name. They do more than just give out pills. It is regulated, and you have to submit to random drug screening so they can be sure 1. you are taking them and not selling them and 2. you are not taking any other drugs.

I had extrememly bad back pain, went to Noel Battle who never even touched my back, prescribed be 6 valum and sent me home saying it was a muscle. I told him I had problems for 5 years...but he isnt a very good listener. Anyway, I went to a pain management doctor, who sent me for an MRI BEFORE prescribing me anything. He found out that I have herniated discs, and prescribed me a small dose of pain medicine. He doesnt just increase the dosage, give extras, or whatever. It is very regulated and professional. I also have received additional help for managing my pain, using shots in my back. I literally could not move one day, went to the hospital, and they could not do anything for me. Go figure. I have to go to a pain management to get any help. I'm sure they are not all this way, but there are good ones, and not everyone that goes is a low life drug addict.

Many primary care doctors cannot/or choose not to, keep prescribing pain meds for chronic problems, so they send them to a pain management.

#10 Adam&Jessica

Adam&Jessica

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

The story is that she had "respiritory failure" but I am convinced it was the pills.

Mixing those pills, especially with alcohol, can cause the respiritory failure to happen. I've seen it happen too, which is why they really need to regulate it much more closely.

Its really too bad that people have to give these clinics such a bad name. They do more than just give out pills. It is regulated, and you have to submit to random drug screening so they can be sure 1. you are taking them and not selling them and 2. you are not taking any other drugs.

I had extrememly bad back pain, went to Noel Battle who never even touched my back, prescribed be 6 valum and sent me home saying it was a muscle. I told him I had problems for 5 years...but he isnt a very good listener. Anyway, I went to a pain management doctor, who sent me for an MRI BEFORE prescribing me anything. He found out that I have herniated discs, and prescribed me a small dose of pain medicine. He doesnt just increase the dosage, give extras, or whatever. It is very regulated and professional. I also have received additional help for managing my pain, using shots in my back. I literally could not move one day, went to the hospital, and they could not do anything for me. Go figure. I have to go to a pain management to get any help. I'm sure they are not all this way, but there are good ones, and not everyone that goes is a low life drug addict.

Many primary care doctors cannot/or choose not to, keep prescribing pain meds for chronic problems, so they send them to a pain management.

I don't think anyone is saying that there is not a purpose for pain management, just that the majority of people that currently use it are actually abusing it, and that these clinics allow it to happen. I know for a fact that many of them do not drug test, because my ex's whole family that's over the age of 40(literally) goes to various ones, and get pills, and swap between them, or sell them. And almost all of them are on govt benefits, and govt insurance, because they are "disabled" (their disability is being fat and lazy). They've been doing this for a long, long time, and none of them have ever lost their prescriptions for taking other non prescribed drugs, or even been questioned about why they need so many pills. They just walk in, wait 5 minutes, and walk out with a Rx. It's sick.

#11 MsGaStorm

MsGaStorm

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

EJ78 I sent you a PM. :)

"Either fate IS funny or God has a FANTASTIC sense of humor!!" - Me

"We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

#12 EJ78

EJ78

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

EJ78 I sent you a PM. :)

Back at ya! :D

#13 EJ78

EJ78

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Mixing those pills, especially with alcohol, can cause the respiritory failure to happen. I've seen it happen too, which is why they really need to regulate it much more closely.

I don't think anyone is saying that there is not a purpose for pain management, just that the majority of people that currently use it are actually abusing it, and that these clinics allow it to happen. I know for a fact that many of them do not drug test, because my ex's whole family that's over the age of 40(literally) goes to various ones, and get pills, and swap between them, or sell them. And almost all of them are on govt benefits, and govt insurance, because they are "disabled" (their disability is being fat and lazy). They've been doing this for a long, long time, and none of them have ever lost their prescriptions for taking other non prescribed drugs, or even been questioned about why they need so many pills. They just walk in, wait 5 minutes, and walk out with a Rx. It's sick.

I dont think its the majority. I know abuse happens, as it does with anything. I have been drug tested at a pain management clinic (and passed). I have only been to one, and I'm sure there are BAD pain management clinics that prescribe knowing its being abused. I've known many alcoholics, but I dont assume that everyone I see buying a bottle of wine is one. I'm not disputing the fact that pills are abused...in fact it is a very scary thing.

#14 Incabiker

Incabiker

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

Back at ya! :D

I have always wondered how people legally get so many prescription medications and then get hooked and just keep on getting them like there is no tomorrow. I always wondered why doctors didn't take notice of this and start to curb the medication. I personally know people who have become addicted and always wondered how they keep on getting there medication.

I hate medicine and will not take it unless it is a life threatening situation. I have back pain that is worst then most and still get on with my daily activities, I just suck it up. It is always there and never goes away. Now I won't say that I didn't take any medication for my wisdom teeth when they were pulled. Of course I did, but I stopped taking it the day after they were pulled. All it does is masks the pain. I would rather endure the pain then have the side affects of the prescription drugs. I have witnessed people just fall apart from their prescriptions, literally. Falling over and smacking their heads on glass tables....

Now I do understand that there are pains which can only be relieved with pills and have no problem with this. There are people with "SEVERE" back pain and also people who are dying from chronic diseases which I have witnessed to be the most painful thing to endure, and, by god, relieve these people of there pain. But the majority just take advantage of what is there to their own detriment.

#15 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

I don't think a lot of people understand what they are dealing with, then they get hooked. I had to take Lortabs for 2 months for a broken toe. When the pain was gone, I stopped taking them. What they don't tell you is the hell you go through for about 3-4 days when your body goes into withdrawal. I went like 2 nights with no sleep, flu-like symptoms, the runs, chills, sweats. It was awful!!! Had I known that beforehand, I would have probably just dealt with the pain on my own and some Tylenol. And that's just from taking 2 pills a day for 2 months. Can you imagine how much worse that would for abusers who take much more and for a longer time?? I saw a biography about Rush Limbaugh, and he explained the problem pretty well. Once the pills change your brain chemistry, you are not yourself anymore, and the first thing on your mind in the morning is "where can I get some more". I feel sorry for folks like that. It's easy to point fingers at people, but it's a real problem that can happen to anyone...so it's not akin to a "junky" thing..like crack heads, or meth heads. It's just pitiful, is what it is. At the least, a good doctor should explain what to expect when prescribing such meds...and really explain the withdrawal problems after the pain has finally gone away.

#16 EJ78

EJ78

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

Incabiker--I could not just "suck up the pain". At one point, I could not get out of bed to use the bathroom. This is not a toothache. I had my wisdom teeth out too, with no meds...I was nursing my baby. I never was one to even take Tylenol. I hated medicine, and still do. BUT--I would rather take medicine than not be able to function. I have to work, take care of children, and a house. If you would rather endure the pain, you have never experienced my pain.
Pain meds are for pain, and can be abused.
Alcohol is for recreation, and can be abused.
Why do they keep prescribing it? Because people are in pain. Should we outlaw alcohol because people abuse it? It really doesnt serve ANY purpose to begin with.

I dont appreciate you quoting me when speaking about drug addicts, and taking advantage of the situation. Until you experience what I have, you dont know. :angry2:

Subby--You are right, they dont educate you on addictions and withdrawals when they give them to you. But, I educated myself prior to taking them. If your pain is temporary, they should "ween" you off gradually, not just stop them. If the pain is something that never goes away, then really, the medicine cannot go away. I'm not in any position to get back surgery, and be out of work for months.

#17 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,414 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

ok I have seen this on the news, and from what I understand the pill clinics are totally different then going to a pain management doctor, the pill clinics you walk in and walk out with pills. when going to a pain management doctor you do go through regular testing and see regular doctors that you are referred to by your primary doctor.

the pill clinics are nothing like that. several have been shut down. I do know that some doctors will give you pain meds when they can not figure out what is wrong with you. and send you to another doctor.

the pill clinics are like drug stores like I said you walk in and walk out like a drive through. so I think the two are being confused.

some people live their entire lives in pain and have to have some way of managing it to be able to go on a normal daily routine. I know this from experience that my husband had before he had his surgery. he went to a pain management doctor after his primary doctor could no longer help him, the pain doctor did do MRI's, X rays, tried the epidural shots, after a month that doctor realized that he could no longer help my husband so he sent him to a surgeon, which most of you know my husband did end up having 2 surgery's on his back.

The pill clinics do not do any of the steps that a pain management doctor does. there is a difference and for the record, my husband is not on disability, he works everyday. and we had to pay for everyone of those doctor appointments.
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#18 mrsdavidj6

mrsdavidj6

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

I know for a fact that many of them do not drug test, because my ex's whole family that's over the age of 40(literally) goes to various ones, and get pills, and swap between them, or sell them. And almost all of them are on govt benefits, and govt insurance, because they are "disabled" (their disability is being fat and lazy). They've been doing this for a long, long time, and none of them have ever lost their prescriptions for taking other non prescribed drugs, or even been questioned about why they need so many pills. They just walk in, wait 5 minutes, and walk out with a Rx. It's sick.

I started this thread and didn't want it to turn into bashing, but, now, reading thru a few hours later, it seems as if many of us know people like the above. In talking with my sister in law, I find that her mother, sister & niece (who is only 24) are all under the care of pain management doctors and her niece & sister (mother & daughter) are both on disability.

#19 EJ78

EJ78

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

ok I have seen this on the news, and from what I understand the pill clinics are totally different then going to a pain management doctor, the pill clinics you walk in and walk out with pills. when going to a pain management doctor you do go through regular testing and see regular doctors that you are referred to by your primary doctor.

the pill clinics are nothing like that. several have been shut down. I do know that some doctors will give you pain meds when they can not figure out what is wrong with you. and send you to another doctor.

the pill clinics are like drug stores like I said you walk in and walk out like a drive through. so I think the two are being confused.

some people live their entire lives in pain and have to have some way of managing it to be able to go on a normal daily routine. I know this from experience that my husband had before he had his surgery. he went to a pain management doctor after his primary doctor could no longer help him, the pain doctor did do MRI's, X rays, tried the epidural shots, after a month that doctor realized that he could no longer help my husband so he sent him to a surgeon, which most of you know my husband did end up having 2 surgery's on his back.

The pill clinics do not do any of the steps that a pain management doctor does. there is a difference

Thank you LR- :) -I didnt realize there was a difference as I dont have a whole lot of knowledge about the "pill mills". I do get a little offended when people "group" everyone together into a category to bash. I dont like substance abusers, that cost me money any more than anyone else does. And for that matter, I dont care much for lifetime welfare collectors either. BUT, I dont jump on here and categorize everyone that has a glass of wine a day as a drunk, someone who useds food stamps to get over a rough patch as a leacher, or someone who needs pain meds as a worthless addict. There are responsible adults in this world, that can live and maintain their lives. I have chosen to take pain meds moderately in order to work and function, rather than sitting around collecting food stamps and waiting for disability. This was after a lengthy evaluation of my condition, by a real doctor. Will I have to ween off after I'm able to have surgery, yes. But at least now I can work and support my family.

As far as the pill mills, and the abusers, I feel the same as most on here do.

#20 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,414 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thank you LR- :) -I didnt realize there was a difference as I dont have a whole lot of knowledge about the "pill mills". I do get a little offended when people "group" everyone together into a category to bash. I dont like substance abusers, that cost me money any more than anyone else does. And for that matter, I dont care much for lifetime welfare collectors either. BUT, I dont jump on here and categorize everyone that has a glass of wine a day as a drunk, someone who useds food stamps to get over a rough patch as a leacher, or someone who needs pain meds as a worthless addict. There are responsible adults in this world, that can live and maintain their lives. I have chosen to take pain meds moderately in order to work and function, rather than sitting around collecting food stamps and waiting for disability. This was after a lengthy evaluation of my condition, by a real doctor. Will I have to ween off after I'm able to have surgery, yes. But at least now I can work and support my family.

As far as the pill mills, and the abusers, I feel the same as most on here do.

I feel for you I really do, I have seen my husband in so much pain these past couple of years until he was in tears. could not walk, could not move, it took everything he had just to try to get his shoes on to get to work and try to have a normal life. but there is no normal life when you are in so much pain.

he even had people tell him, he should get on disability. he told them it was people like that, that was using up all the assistance and when people really need it there was nothing left.

people who abuse the pain doctors should be locked up, and people who know that people are doing it should turn their butts in.
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

#21 EJ78

EJ78

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

I feel for you I really do, I have seen my husband in so much pain these past couple of years until he was in tears. could not walk, could not move, it took everything he had just to try to get his shoes on to get to work and try to have a normal life. but there is no normal life when you are in so much pain.

he even had people tell him, he should get on disability. he told them it was people like that, that was using up all the assistance and when people really need it there was nothing left.

people who abuse the pain doctors should be locked up, and people who know that people are doing it should turn their butts in.

Thank you, I agree about the abusers. It really hurts the people that truly need it. When I went to the emergency room, I feel like they didnt help me because they thought I just wanted pills. I went in an ambulance! I would compare the pain I had that week to labor back pains. If I could fall asleep, I would wake up screaming in pain. That was by far, my worst week ever. The other days arent as bad, but it hurts to sit, stand, lay down..everything. What it hurts most is my pride. I was always active with the kids, playing ball in the yard, doing yardwork, housework etc. Now many days it's a chore to just get dressed..no less sit in the seat of my car for 45 minutes to get to work. I refuse to take any medicine before driving, so my rides are the worst.

Is your husband feeling better now? He had surgery didnt he?

#22 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Incabiker--I could not just "suck up the pain". At one point, I could not get out of bed to use the bathroom. This is not a toothache. I had my wisdom teeth out too, with no meds...I was nursing my baby. I never was one to even take Tylenol. I hated medicine, and still do. BUT--I would rather take medicine than not be able to function. I have to work, take care of children, and a house. If you would rather endure the pain, you have never experienced my pain.
Why do they keep prescribing it? Because people are in pain. Should we outlaw alcohol because people abuse it? It really doesnt serve ANY purpose to begin with.

I dont appreciate you quoting me when speaking about drug addicts, and taking advantage of the situation. Until you experience what I have, you dont know. :angry2:

Subby--You are right, they dont educate you on addictions and withdrawals when they give them to you. But, I educated myself prior to taking them. If your pain is temporary, they should "ween" you off gradually, not just stop them. If the pain is something that never goes away, then really, the medicine cannot go away. I'm not in any position to get back surgery, and be out of work for months.

Good for you!!! :) Everyone should. Ya know, sometimes pain meds are NECESSARY, especially after getting a jaw tooth pulled or something like that. It's just remembering to limit the number of days you take it. You can take almost anything for ONE week, and have no withdrawals whatsoever. In fact most opiate compound pain killers have enough side effects that you're ready to get off them ASAP. Once those side effects go away, then you get into deeper water...and possibly a problem.

#23 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

I have read a few recent studies that are showing that this kind of abuse is going hand-in-hand with the current economic crisis in the country. Since the bottom fell out and people lost their jobs, antidepressants, benzodiazepines, (nerve pills) and pain pills are being much more often prescribed than when everyone was hunky-dory and making the big bucks with great jobs. Alcohol sales even go up when times get tough. It's how humans react to stressful times, in a nut shell. I can understand the temptation when you're all of a sudden, sitting back and watching your country go down in flames.

Although, I also understand that when your country is going down in flames, you'd better have your head screwed on TIGHT. You'll need to help your family survive....and that's hard to do while you're off in la-la land. ;)

#24 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,414 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

Thank you, I agree about the abusers. It really hurts the people that truly need it. When I went to the emergency room, I feel like they didnt help me because they thought I just wanted pills. I went in an ambulance! I would compare the pain I had that week to labor back pains. If I could fall asleep, I would wake up screaming in pain. That was by far, my worst week ever. The other days arent as bad, but it hurts to sit, stand, lay down..everything. What it hurts most is my pride. I was always active with the kids, playing ball in the yard, doing yardwork, housework etc. Now many days it's a chore to just get dressed..no less sit in the seat of my car for 45 minutes to get to work. I refuse to take any medicine before driving, so my rides are the worst.

Is your husband feeling better now? He had surgery didnt he?

He had his surgery feb 9, he had 2 ruptured disc which was causing sciatic nerve down his legs, but they removed both disc, and he is doing a lot better now, he is still on light duty and all at work but he went back to work 2 weeks after the surgery. his pain is nothing like it was, the doctor said it would take a few months for him to be back to normal but even now the pain is not as bad.

I know what you mean about the long rides,my husband only works about 15 minutes from home, but there were days I would have to go and help him out of his truck to get in the house. his activities that he loved to do was cut completely out because he was in so much pain.

I hope you can find some relief with the pain. it puts a strain on your whole life living in that much pain,

Posted Image

3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

#25 SOLO

SOLO

I Have Flying monkeys and Will Use Them

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,750 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

I don't think a lot of people understand what they are dealing with, then they get hooked. I had to take Lortabs for 2 months for a broken toe. When the pain was gone, I stopped taking them. What they don't tell you is the hell you go through for about 3-4 days when your body goes into withdrawal. I went like 2 nights with no sleep, flu-like symptoms, the runs, chills, sweats. It was awful!!! Had I known that beforehand, I would have probably just dealt with the pain on my own and some Tylenol. And that's just from taking 2 pills a day for 2 months. Can you imagine how much worse that would for abusers who take much more and for a longer time?? I saw a biography about Rush Limbaugh, and he explained the problem pretty well. Once the pills change your brain chemistry, you are not yourself anymore, and the first thing on your mind in the morning is "where can I get some more". I feel sorry for folks like that. It's easy to point fingers at people, but it's a real problem that can happen to anyone...so it's not akin to a "junky" thing..like crack heads, or meth heads. It's just pitiful, is what it is. At the least, a good doctor should explain what to expect when prescribing such meds...and really explain the withdrawal problems after the pain has finally gone away.

WOW I need to find out who your Doctor is...pain meds for a TOE???? Dang I have broken more than one toe and been told there is nothing they can do but put tape one them and go home...hell I broke my foot and did not get pain meds for 2 months..
Posted Image
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it Just pee on it and walk away.

s.l.u.t
Stressed-out Ladies Unwinding Together

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice.....dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long

#26 mrsdavidj6

mrsdavidj6

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

WOW I need to find out who your Doctor is...pain meds for a TOE???? Dang I have broken more than one toe and been told there is nothing they can do but put tape one them and go home...hell I broke my foot and did not get pain meds for 2 months..

I had a broken toe, too. Hurt soooooo bad - worse than labor pains!! They thought they were going to have to do surgery because the little toe was sticking straight off the side of my foot (I ran around a corner barefoot and caught it on a box that was full and didn't move). They deadened the toe to set it, taped it up, gave me a boot, gave me 3 Tylenol 3 without codeine (can't take codeine) and sent me home. Man, that toe hurt for weeks!!!

#27 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

You need a better doctor then. A broken toe cannot be fixed. The pain during the first month to 6 weeks is so unbearable you cannot even sleep. Maybe there are different degrees of broken toes, but this was my BIG toe and it fractured the hell out of it. It was worth the withdrawals just to be able to sleep at night. BTW, you'd be the FIRST person I know who never received at least one week of pain meds for a broken toe.... :mellow:

Get a better doctor, or pray you don't break one as bad as I did. You make it sound as if pain medication is not even necessary, which is patently untrue. Excuse me, if I misread your post, but that's what it sounded like to me.

I had a broken toe, too. Hurt soooooo bad - worse than labor pains!! They thought they were going to have to do surgery because the little toe was sticking straight off the side of my foot (I ran around a corner barefoot and caught it on a box that was full and didn't move). They deadened the toe to set it, taped it up, gave me a boot, gave me 3 Tylenol 3 without codeine (can't take codeine) and sent me home. Man, that toe hurt for weeks!!!

Tylenol 3 is called that because it has codeine in it.....??? I'm confused. :pardon: The 3 is the code for (with codeine) Otherwise, you're just taking pure acetaminophen.

#28 mrsdavidj6

mrsdavidj6

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

Tylenol 3 is called that because it has codeine in it.....??? I'm confused. :pardon: The 3 is the code for (with codeine) Otherwise, you're just taking pure acetaminophen.

Me too......I have orange flags at my doctors offices saying not to give me codeine and I always say I can't take it. Maybe they just gave me BIG tylenol pill - LOL. I just know that toe hurt like forever! The hospital nor the podiatrist I had to see gave me anything for pain. I did also have something for swelling - but, I don't remember what it was.

#29 Subby's Mower Repair

Subby's Mower Repair

Super Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

Me too......I have orange flags at my doctors offices saying not to give me codeine and I always say I can't take it. Maybe they just gave me BIG tylenol pill - LOL. I just know that toe hurt like forever! The hospital nor the podiatrist I had to see gave me anything for pain. I did also have something for swelling - but, I don't remember what it was.

Most likely....you know, like a 1000 mg. Motrin is the exact same thing as 4 Advils (250 mg. per pill). Since I drink beer, I opted for the less Tylenol and more codeine (in spite of the side effects, drowsiness, makes your skin itch like crazy) because both the Tylenol & Ibuprofen deliver quite a punch to your liver. ;)

I just have to keep in mind its addictive nature, and limit myself on the amount of days I take it, lest I fall into withdrawals. I only had that problem once with my toe for that 2 months, but it was terrible re-adjusting. You have to have a lot of commitment to do it.

#30 Mrs. Jack Russell

Mrs. Jack Russell

BUE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

Recently we experienced issues with pill clinics in our family. We saw how the pill Suboxone can help with withdrawals from years of pill abuse. I also learned how this person was able to get so many pills and I was shocked. They knew which doctor to go to that would give them a month's supply and which one would give them 2 weeks supply. It was so easy. They knew how to go to more than one doctor. They knew how to trade pills until pay day. They knew which pharmacy carried what brand of these pills to the point that one generic pill would not be as strong as another. (I don't understand that part, but they said it was true.) I learned the crazy ways to pass a drug test. The craziest was to use their own child's urine and put it in a rubber and attach it to their leg so that the urine would be warm and easy to dump out even while being watched by someone. CRAZY!!!! I learned that if you get a time released pill that you could lick the coating to get the effect right away. CRAZY All of this was useless information I received and not sure if any or all of it was true, but it was told to me by someone who believed it.

On the other hand I have been suffering from Gastroparesis (slow to empty stomach). The pain at times is almost unbearable. My G.I. doctor would only give me 10 pills at a time. If I had a episode I would take one and then 6 hours later take another one before the pain would go away. This meant that I only had a 5 day supply at a time and after being given 3 sets of 10, I was told that the G.I. doctor could not prescribe me any more. So I have to watch what I eat very carefully and hope that I don't have an episode. It's CRAZY!!!

Would I consider going to one of the pain clinics? No, but when I am in so much pain that I am crying, I would do it in a heart beat. I don't because I have seen what the effects of these prescription pills do over time. Thank God for Suboxone. It has helped 2 young men get off these pills. One I know it will be for a life time and the other I am praying hard it will work on him too.
I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there.

Rev. Billy Graham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#31 drosser

drosser

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

I work in the medical field and you would be SHOCKED to find out how many of these offices are around. Even right here in Paulding. It's disgusting to know how many licenced drug dealers there are out there. And we wonder why there is such a pill epidemic these days.

You are absoluely right about that!!! I know of a person who goes to about four or five doctors and uses the same amount of drug stores to get prescriptions filled. It's unbelievable!!

I am a workers' comp adjuster and I see it everyday. They have these kind of operations all over Georgia.

#32 drosser

drosser

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

[quote name='Lady Raider' date='26 March 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1269635222' post='3118257']
the pill clinics are totally different then going to a pain management doctor, the pill clinics you walk in and walk out with pills. when going to a pain management doctor you do go through regular testing and see regular doctors that you are referred to by your primary doctor.

From what I've seen in workers' comp, the pain management doctors are the ones who start prescribing the addictive medication. They are the ones who keep on giving and giving and giving the prescriptions. Unfortunately, the majority of the "injured" workers I deal with are not really injured. They are looking for a free ride from the WC system. It seems to me that the ones who are truly hurt and want to get better don't get the care they deserve. I have one claim where the woman had a drug screen to see if she was taking her medication. She wasn't but tested positive for cocaine. What did the doctor do? Nothing. . .he just told her that he wouldn't continue to see her if she kept using. Its' been about six months and she's tesing positive for her prescribed medication as was positive for cocaine. The doctor says she's not using as much as she was and she still needs her pain meds. That's crazy!!!

Not all pain management doctors are bad, but in the WC field, most of them are where the narcotic pain medication addiction begins.

#33 Incabiker

Incabiker

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

What? I accidently quoted "Back at you", I have automatic quotes on, sorry. And if you didn't notice I said give people pain medicine who truly need it, hello :rolleyes:

Anyways my main focus was people who were getting pain pills who truly didn't need it. I know people who got on them for legitimate reasons but after the pain subsided, yes they told me this themselves, they were still able to get the painkillers when ever they wanted. So... I was just questioning on how somebody who has made a complete recovery from broken bones or surgery could still be sucking down pills like the day after surgery without the doctors questioning them. I have seen this go on for years after the fact. That is my point. If you have legitimate pain then so be it, but read my post 1st before you try to hammer me for something which I did not explain. I did not say no one is allowed to be on pain killers for any reason... :glare:

#34 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

I think the key is the difference between "pain management CLINICS" and "pain management PHYSICIANS".

My husband is being seen by a pain management physician over near I-285. He is an MD. An anesthesiologist as a matter of fact. He offers much, much more than just pain pills to his patients. He offers various types of nerve blocks, surgeries, biofeedback, etc. Not the first time my hubby has been to a pain management physician. He had to make a return visit last week because his pain got so severe. The main thing the doctor told him was he wasn't taking ENOUGH of the pain meds and that he needed to increase it. But, there are things he can do other than take pills for the rest of his life. It's just that he isn't to the point that he is willing to have the particular type of nerve block that the doctor (and the orthopaedist) says will likely give him short term relief, and can be repeated as needed.

The way I understand these "pain management clinics" is all they do is dispense pills. I'm not even sure they have a physician on staff at most of them.

I just can't understand how some doctors will prescribe pain meds freely while the orthopaedist my husband went to quit prescribing them--and there was no abuse what-so-e-ver! I'm guessing some doctors care about their practice and their prescribing ability while others don't. Fortunately, his ortho cares about those things.

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

8DQ1m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#35 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

chronic pain has been a reality for our family since the day we met. Hubby has had chronic pain for 33 years. In a way, it is how we met. He had chronic chest pain due to an electric shock for over 25 years and the last couple of years it has been chronic back pain due to arthritis and joint narrowing. For almost a year, pain meds kept him to where he COULD work. Now that isn't happening anymore. At his age (soon to be 59), arthritis isn't going to get better and therefore, neither will the pain.

Years ago he went to the Emory Pain Clinic, at that time something new, and received a great deal of relief from that. He had surgery for the chronic pain with minimal relief. Only through determination was he able to deal with the daily pain. The past 33 years it has been rare to see him take a pain pill. Now, he can't survive without them.

Please, don't judge anyone who is on pain pills and decide they are an addict or an abuser. Some just may find they need that pain relief to get from one day to the next. Because "pain" isn't visible to others, it is so easy to judge those who have it as being users. Oddly enough, my husband's pain IS visible to others. Our next door neighbor came by the other day, took one look at my husband and asked if he was sick. Nope, just in pain.

Having worked in the medical field for 17 years, I know for a fact that there are many people out there who doctor shop for pills. Doctors and their staff can generally spot those people, too. Doctors can also spot the ones who need the meds for pain relief.

some people live their entire lives in pain and have to have some way of managing it to be able to go on a normal daily routine.

In loving memory of Mason (December 1, 2001 to December 9, 2001) and Ashley  Jr. (December 1, 2001 to December 2, 2001

8DQ1m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#36 Adam&Jessica

Adam&Jessica

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

I broke my little toe twice, and the first time the doctor looked at the toe, looked at me, said hold on, and yanked it straight. He told me to take some advil, and I'd be fine. The next time, my toe was about 60 degrees out of place, and all black, but I had no ins, so I ended up putting it back in place myself, and taking some advil. I had a heard time sleeping with that one, so I ended up using benadryl for a few days, but that didn't work, then I remembered that nyquil makes me sleep like 24 hours straight, so I started taking like quarter doses of those for a few days, and just dealt with the pain during the day.

#37 Bones

Bones

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

OD in Paulding last night. I know a girl who will be crying her eyes out tonight and another pauding kid get buried, but hey as long as the doctors are making money. WTF.
If you see my bike on a trailer, cal 911

#38 Starr & Dru's Nana

Starr & Dru's Nana

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Doctors don't make nearly as much money as most people think they do. The drug companies are a different matter. They make billions in profit!

Sorry about the OD but unless it was prescription drugs that caused it, and the person who ODd got that prescription from a doctor, the doctor has no part in it.

OD in Paulding last night. I know a girl who will be crying her eyes out tonight and another pauding kid get buried, but hey as long as the doctors are making money. WTF.

8DQ1m5.png

KBZ8m5.png

#39 Bones

Bones

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

Not trying to place blame. The guy who died on Old Cartersville last night hit real close to home. What a waste.
If you see my bike on a trailer, cal 911

#40 ctlovell

ctlovell

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

[quote name='Subby Enterprises' date='26 March 2010 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1269653132' post='3118634']
You need a better doctor then. A broken toe cannot be fixed. The pain during the first month to 6 weeks is so unbearable you cannot even sleep. Maybe there are different degrees of broken toes, but this was my BIG toe and it fractured the hell out of it. It was worth the withdrawals just to be able to sleep at night. BTW, you'd be the FIRST person I know who never received at least one week of pain meds for a broken toe.... :mellow:

I completely agree. It is different to break the big toe. I have broken several of my other toes, and I just suck it up and don't even go to the doctor. But about 8 years ago, I had a 4' x 8' piece of 3/4" thick plexiglass fall straight down onto my big toe. Shattered it completely(my toe, not the plexiglass). I was out of work for 2 months because I could not walk on it for about 6 weeks, and I could not wear a shoe for 2 weeks after that.
I hate having to ask the doctor for pain meds because I have suffered from really bad migrains since I was 8 yrs old. At the time, the only thing they could do for migrains was give pain meds, so I was on 100mg of Darvocet at 8 yrs old. Now I have such a high tolerance to pain meds (especially Darvocet) that most of them will do nothing for me. I feel like if I tell that to a doctor, they will think I am just trying to get drugs. I thank the drug company every day that came up with Imitrex. It is a real life saver. Of course, it does nothing to help me if I break something or have a tooth pulled, and actually need pain medication, but...what are you gonna do? :unknw:

Edited by ctlovell, 30 March 2010 - 07:52 PM.

Why is it that humans who have a "sixth sense", are considered gifted...and yet animals, who all have this gift, are considered a lower life form?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics