42 replies to this topic

#1 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

my son got married earlier this year and I don't quite know how to handle his and her Christmas this year. Money is tighter than years past and I still have 3 at home. I just wanted some input from others who are/have been in this situation. I know his Christmas will be smaller as will the other kids but I am just not sure how to balance it. Am I making sense at all?? :wacko: :pardon:
Posted Image

#2 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

You could get them something together instead of seperate. This way you are kind of buying for one and not two :)

#3 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

two of the three older girls are married, with kids now.
we used to give each of them a gift card for the same amount.
then when the two older ones got married we gave the couples the same amount as the youngest daughter.
now that they have kids, they get nothing. the kids each get toys in the amount of the gift card that the youngest still gets.

fair? not sure. but my budget couldn't handle multiplying the way the family size did.

Edited by NC-17, 09 December 2009 - 01:57 PM.

• weatherboy likes this

#4 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

Yes, you are making good sense. I'd set a limit on each one. If you can't afford much just get them a shirt, or something like that. At least make it something they can use or wear. Try to stay away from the "as seen on tv" stuff, they usually don't work and aren't worth the money!! Good Luck. All of our children are grown, and it sure is hard to figure out what to get them!! We also have 9 gradchildren, between us.
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#5 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,221 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

How about a gift card to the movies for the two of them and if they have kids an offer of babysitting for their night out.

#6 QueenOfFaith

QueenOfFaith

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

Get them something for their home.

#7 ladybug82525

ladybug82525

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

my son got married earlier this year and I don't quite know how to handle his and her Christmas this year. Money is tighter than years past and I still have 3 at home. I just wanted some input from others who are/have been in this situation. I know his Christmas will be smaller as will the other kids but I am just not sure how to balance it. Am I making sense at all?? :wacko: :pardon:

Last year I did things that they needed for the house, things that were pratical but things they just would not go out and buy themselves. They each got one thing that was just for them.
Happiness Keeps You Sweet, Trials Keep You Strong, Sorrows Keep You Human, Life Keeps You Humble, Success Keeps You Glowing, But Only God Keeps You Going!

#8 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

I got a really good deal on a gift card for her from Rue 21, it cost me $50 but with the certificates and rue bucks she can spend $100. But then my son told me she doesn't like rue anymore(she did 2 weeks ago) :glare: oh frigging well, too late. I don't know what to get my son, I'm thinking a gift cert. for him to but I just don't from where. I thought about getting them a cert for the movies.

i appreciate the input ^_^
Posted Image

#9 weatherboy

weatherboy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

then when the two older ones got married we gave the couples the same amount as the youngest daughter.
now that they have kids, they get nothing. the kids each get toys in the amount of the gift card that the youngest still gets.

fair? not sure. but my budget couldn't handle multiplying the way the family size did.

I agree with NC we stopped buying for the kids and only buy for the Grandkids.Tell them when they leave the nest the eggs are going to stop. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Just kidding Folks.

Edited by weatherboy, 09 December 2009 - 02:14 PM.

#10 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

I agree with NC we stopped buying for the kids and only buy for the grandkids.

I do not like this idea. lol

#11 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

lol, I know. My dad doesn't do that either. Now I feel bad :blush:
Posted Image

#12 I'm Floored

I'm Floored

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

You could tell them that you are going to do a gift exchange, and if they want to open a present, they need to bring one. Then let them know you'll keep the gifts at your house for them to enjoy when they visit. :ninja:

I keed, I keed!

Don't get mad....I'm just joking....trying to lighten the mood!

And now that we're older, the grandkids get most of the gifts. We parents each get a small gift from my mom (I usually ask for my annual bottle of Tommy Girl perfume.) My husband gets a gift, too. He always feels cheated....I don't know why. He got a REAL NICE carbon monoxide detector a couple of years ago!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#13 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

You could tell them that you are going to do a gift exchange, and if they want to open a present, they need to bring one. Then let them know you'll keep the gifts at your house for them to enjoy when they visit. :ninja:

I keed, I keed!

Don't get mad....I'm just joking....trying to lighten the mood!

And now that we're older, the grandkids get most of the gifts. We parents each get a small gift from my mom (I usually ask for my annual bottle of Tommy Girl perfume.) My husband gets a gift, too. He always feels cheated....I don't know why. He got a REAL NICE carbon monoxide detector a couple of years ago!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:blink: it took me a minute, but..............that is dern funy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Posted Image

#14 weatherboy

weatherboy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

When you have Six Grandkids And Four grownups not counting me and my wife and live on a fixed income it just got to be to much. Anyway it's not in the things that you buy the best gifts in life are free. I don't want or expect my kids to buy me anything with all of the kids and in-laws to buy for it is just to much. I have never been the type to go buy things that I can't pay for when I buy them.I don't believe in taking all of the next year to pay for Christmas. Just my way of thinking. :p :p :p

#15 Harlee71

Harlee71

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

You are still Mom, and now G-maw. Don't be scrooge too!!! ;)

#16 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

she's gunna kick your butt, haha :p
Posted Image

#17 Harlee71

Harlee71

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

Give him a good home cooked meal. He's probably not getting that now that he is married.

Edited by Harlee71, 09 December 2009 - 02:40 PM.

#18 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Give him a good home cooked meal. He's probably not getting that now that he is married.

they come over sometimes and she seems to be feeding him well. Trust me not worried about him starving ;)
Posted Image

#19 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

I still have a 14 year old at home but I also have 5 grandchildren. I usually buy a gift certificate for the family to go to their favorite restaurant, and small gifts for the grandkids.

#20 CABYEYE

CABYEYE

The egg snatcher!

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

When we got married and moved out. My parents (for Christmas) bought us things we used. Toothpaste, DO, soap, towels, shaving gel, razors. Pratical items that helped us along in our new married life. :pardon: Worked for us. I enjoyed not having to by those items for 6 months. She bought him toothpaste, me toothpaste. Like two-three big things each. Etc. so we got like double everything. But now she did start at the first of the year and collect it all year long. So there would be a huge box of items that we used daily and it helped us thru the year.

#21 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

i don't believe we're acquainted. i'm not their mom, nor am i a grandmother. i married their father after they were grown
and actually, i prefer not to celebrate christmas at all, being that i do not subscribe to the christian religion.
but i'm happy to buy gifts for little children. :good:

that scrooge-ish enough for ya? :huh:

#22 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

i don't believe we're acquainted. i'm not their mom, nor am i a grandmother. i married their father after they were grown
and actually, i prefer not to celebrate christmas at all, being that i do not subscribe to the christian religion.
but i'm happy to buy gifts for little children. :good:

that scrooge-ish enough for ya? :huh:

Harlee, :p :p :rofl: told ya so!!!

love ya NC :wub:
Posted Image

#23 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

Now, I don't have kids, but I am a daughter-in-law.

I am getting to the age where whether I get a gift or not doesn't really bother me (unless it pertains to my husband, of course :D ).
From my MIL, I told my husband that if she asked, I wanted
a batch of her yummy spaghetti sauce for my freezer that will last me a couple of months. I'd even buy the stuff if she'd make it (as my tummy is growling)

If they lived closer, it'd be awesome if she gave me a "gift certificate" to cook me & MrB dinner one night. Or, ACTUALLY - if she gave me a "gift certificate" to do my dishes once or twice.

That's cheap, and would be what I really wanted.

ETA: Not that I think my MIL is only good for cooking or cleaning, but she is an awesome cook, and I HATE dishes.

Edited by MrsB, 09 December 2009 - 04:19 PM.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Posted Image

#24 crazy4u

crazy4u

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

New towels or sheets are always good. After a year it's always nice to get new towels. It's those things you love to get but hate to spend the money buying them for yourself.

#25 PauldingMommy

PauldingMommy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

I just told my mother-in-law this morning.....please don't buy us anything...we have told all family that we only buy for children...no adults. When we did buy for adults, it was meaningless gifts just so they would have a gift from us to open. When you can't recall the gift that you received last year from a loved one, you should stop buying gifts...they are meaningless. I will still do something thoughtful if the opportunity arises such as a great photo in a frame. I do bake cookies with the kids and put them in tins and pass out to family and friends...love that!

#26 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,436 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

Money is tight for us this year as well, so I bought my grown children things they need and can use.

My son and his wife needed new pots and pans and a knife set.

Believe me, I didn't spend anymore than usual, we went to Brandsmart and got some great deals.

My daughter and her husband got clothes. I shop Ross a lot!

I got some great deals at JCP last Sunday, I had a 25% coupon and a 15% coupon and got to use both of them on sale items.

And they'll be happy with what they got and will use it.

And I like the idea of towels and the toiletries.

WHEN YOU SKIP VOTING

IT'S NOT REBELLION

IT'S SURRENDER

#27 trueheart

trueheart

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:36 AM

My daughter was married earlier this year. They moved to Washington about 3 months ago. She has called me several times to ask "Mom, how do I make your ____?" or "What do I need to buy to make your _____?". So their Christmas present this year was a collection of "Mom's Recipes". I bought a recipe box and matching cards from Michaels. I wrote down the recipe and directions of every meal that my daughter enjoyed from childhood until now. I gave it to her last week when she was in town visiting. She said it was the best present and was exactly what they needed. Materials cost $15.00 plus time spent writing them all down........priceless. I also left a couple packages of blank cards in the box for her to add her own recipes to it in the future. A gift from the heart means all the difference and doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

#28 Raider Mom

Raider Mom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

I have two girls that have their own children now and we have a 15 year old. the two older girls are getting a 25.00 Visa gift card and a gift basket from Wal-Mart. Their children are small one is 15 month and he is going to get Tonka trucks and the baby needs a high chair. We are not exchanging with family or friends this year. It has been a hard year.
My 2 favorite people call me Grandma and the other 3 call me Mom.

#29 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 20,999 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

New towels or sheets are always good. After a year it's always nice to get new towels. It's those things you love to get but hate to spend the money buying them for yourself.

Or get them those items like flannel sheets or big bath towels which are "luxuriant" items.
Maybe a heavy micro-fleece type blanket?

....... new pots and pans and a knife set.

Items I love!
When asked, those are items I put "on the list" in days past.
Most items I got when first married were good, but to get a good quality/lasting items it has taken a while. If I just got one "lifetime" knife or new pots (heavy steel) was a treasure!

My daughter was married earlier this year. They moved to Washington about 3 months ago. She has called me several times to ask "Mom, how do I make your ____?" or "What do I need to buy to make your _____?". So their Christmas present this year was a collection of "Mom's Recipes". I bought a recipe box and matching cards from Michaels. I wrote down the recipe and directions of every meal that my daughter enjoyed from childhood until now. I gave it to her last week when she was in town visiting. She said it was the best present and was exactly what they needed. Materials cost $15.00 plus time spent writing them all down........priceless. I also left a couple packages of blank cards in the box for her to add her own recipes to it in the future. A gift from the heart means all the difference and doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

What a wonderful gift!
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#30 blessedwithboys

blessedwithboys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

We've got grown, married children and a 5 year old who still expects Santa. Money is extremely tight for up, one of the oder boys is even helping with Santa for his brothers. We've always given equally (money wise) to all of our children (indluding my DIL) until last year. This year we probably won't be able to buy for the grown kids. I'll be getting them something very small for Christmas and then trying to do a little more for them after Christmas... because I want to, not because I have to. :)
Delight thyself also in the Lord; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalms 37:4 KJV ><((((>

#31 tess

tess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

My Husband's brother & sisters agreed to take the money we would have spent, and donate to a needy family[usually someone from sister's church]
we are all adults and the presents were always a problem trying to figure out what they needed or wanted,,,this takes the stress out and I think we all
feel more festive if we give and not receive....I am an only child so my family is easy.....just Mom & Dad...
I give the others $$ ..I set a limit and everybody gets the same amount.....

[I AM NOT SHOUTING OR MAD....I HAVE THE CAPS LOCK ON
IF I AM MAD YOU WILL KNOW IT...I WILL
BE TYPING IN BLOOD

#32 I'm Floored

I'm Floored

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

When we got married and moved out. My parents (for Christmas) bought us things we used. Toothpaste, DO, soap, towels, shaving gel, razors. Pratical items that helped us along in our new married life. :pardon: Worked for us. I enjoyed not having to by those items for 6 months. She bought him toothpaste, me toothpaste. Like two-three big things each. Etc. so we got like double everything. But now she did start at the first of the year and collect it all year long. So there would be a huge box of items that we used daily and it helped us thru the year.

I think that is a wonderful & thoughtful present! I will remember that for when mine are on their own!

That's a great gift, too!

#33 asdfasdfasdfasd

asdfasdfasdfasd

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

If you want to get them something they can use and possibly don't have...I think an electric griddle is about the best kitchen gadget I have ever bought. Even if I am not making a big breakfast, it is still so convenient not to have to use a bunch of different pans. Great for making several pancakes at once or just bacon and some eggs. I really love mine and nothing EVER sticks to it. I don't know what brand it is...would have to look...but I bought it at Wal-mart for like $20.

#34 MissSophie

MissSophie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I like to buy a "together" gift plus one or two small and inexpensive personal gifts.

For example - a gift certificate for a restaurant; and then for small gifts - gloves, a candle, a scarf, slippers, pajamas, socks, etc.

I don't think grown and married kids need as many presents as those still at home. Christmas is for the kids.

#35 lovecanbuildabridge

lovecanbuildabridge

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I picked up a few of these today (and they had more left in stores not online) at Staples. It works out to about $40 each after tax but they will think it was much more :ninja: I will pre- load my son and daughter in laws with their wedding photos.. and let the others put family photos on theirs... it is very nice and 12 inches!

http://www.staples.c...3:CG43:CL163473

#36 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:51 AM

These days, money is tight for almost everyone.
Maybe consider "drawing names". My parents suggested this once we were all married and it worked really well. :)
"May God Bless And Keep Our Sons And Daughters of The Military Safe And In His Care 'Til They Come Home"
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#37 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,209 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

Once my siblings married and began having children
I started purchasing one "family" gift for each household...

I always make sure it is something
that all members of the home can enjoy :

A DVD movie, a fun board game, or a nice cozy throw blanket.

I usually pair it with some hot chocolate mix, big bag of M&M's,
or family size box of popcorn for a little extra treat...
A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable,
who believes that there is no virtue but on his own side, and that there
are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

#38 davidj6

davidj6

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:18 AM

We're with the others....as soon as the kids/grandkids/nieces/nephews, etc. are married, we get a "couples gift" until they have kids....then, they get nothing.....I don't think that's cruel since usually they don't buy anything for anyone other than "maybe" their parents...

#39 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:26 AM

That is such a wonderful gift!! What a great idea. My mom did something similar a couple of years ago, too. I had forgotten about it until I read this. I have made her recipes so many times I have them memorized. Not to mention the book was covered in sauce and other food bits from the mishaps of the early days LOL.
"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Posted Image

#40 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:34 AM

If you want to get them something they can use and possibly don't have...I think an electric griddle is about the best kitchen gadget I have ever bought. Even if I am not making a big breakfast, it is still so convenient not to have to use a bunch of different pans. Great for making several pancakes at once or just bacon and some eggs. I really love mine and nothing EVER sticks to it. I don't know what brand it is...would have to look...but I bought it at Wal-mart for like $20.

This is what I asked my husband for. I really, really want one!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics