36 replies to this topic

#1 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,157 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

I know in Alabama you do, but in the State of Georgia do you become exempt after a certain age?

I looked up some info, but as usual the wording is confusing to me, and I figured if anybody knew, it would be here on PCOM.

It's for my MIL. It's just a house on 1/2 acre.

TIA

tongue.gif

#2 sadie612

sadie612

Yo diggity

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Nope, That is why my parents moved to Alabama cray.gif cray.gif
This is your life, are you who you wanna be!?!

#3 crazy4u

crazy4u

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

After a certain age they go down big time. I don't think my father-in-law has to pay the school tax anymore. Once he turned a certain age his taxes were almost cut in half.

#4 confederaterose

confederaterose

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

I do not think so. School taxes yes and in a lot of counties it is 62 and no more school taxes.

The bandits of Paulding County say they reduce the school taxes to 50% at age 65 and no school taxes after 70. I am between the 65 and 70 age. Even though they say I pay 50% of school taxes, my tax bill was higher this year than before I was 65 and that is a $30,000 lower assested value.

My Mom was 90 and lived in Cobb County. She paid no school tax. Had to still pay the property tax.

#5 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,157 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Pensacola @ Oct 3 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a certain age they go down big time. I don't think my father-in-law has to pay the school tax anymore. Once he turned a certain age his taxes were almost cut in half.

I knew at age 65 (I think) you drop the school tax, but Alabama drops all property tax.

Her tax isn't much cause the school tax has dropped off, but we were just wondering.

What age in Georgia do you drop the school tax? 62 or 65?

#6 NavyEagle#1

NavyEagle#1

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

That why you leave Georgia after age 60...

Tax you to death and poor medical care etc...

Florida is where you want to be...

Posted Image.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep --
not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
It is time to vote every Paulding elected official out of office and get rid of the good ole boy system.

Do your part and vote them out ! !

Better to have a new clown in the office, then to let the current ones continue to rule.

#7 MissSophie

MissSophie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

Got caught in the trap when I bought my home. The estimated taxes when buying the house was half of what I actually had to pay. That is because I bought the house from an elderly couple. Big shock when my taxes were doubled from what I expected!!

#8 Lucky64

Lucky64

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

My father will be 70 in January and I got his Ad Valorem in the mail last week and it was 800 dollars, he still is paying school tax.

#9 crazy4u

crazy4u

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Lucky64 @ Oct 3 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My father will be 70 in January and I got his Ad Valorem in the mail last week and it was 800 dollars, he still is paying school tax.

Call the tax office and talk to them. I think he should be exempt.

#10 deewee

deewee

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

My understanding is that you have to prove your age, and that you can be exempt from school tax at the age of 65. It's not an exemption that is automatically given to you. You have to initiate it with the tax commissioner's office.

I've lived life enough to have learned I'm not all that I thought I was, but have learned to be happy with who I am- Deewee 07/06/08

I may have a tattoo on my back, but I've got Jesus in my heart!

#11 Reesy

Reesy

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (lowrider @ Oct 3 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I knew at age 65 (I think) you drop the school tax, but Alabama drops all property tax.

Her tax isn't much cause the school tax has dropped off, but we were just wondering.

When you turn 70, you no longer have to pay the school tax. I don't know of any discount before that time. When my Mom asked about it, they told her to come in when she turned 70. She did and now doesn't have to pay the school tax anymore.
~*~Reesy~*~

#12 Mrs. C

Mrs. C

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

In Cobb County, the school taxes were dropped when hubby turned 62. He did have to apply for this. His sister lives in Montgomery, AL and their property taxes are very low, but they have a 10 percent sales tax on everything, so they still get ya.

#13 katcol

katcol

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

I can't believe we charge people school tax until they are 70! What is that, .003% of the population with kids in school at that age?
Posted Image

#14 Mrs. C

Mrs. C

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (katcol @ Oct 3 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't believe we charge people school tax until they are 70! What is that, .003% of the population with kids in school at that age?

We paid school taxes for 12 years after our youngest graduated.

#15 NY Gal

NY Gal

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

YOu have to apply for the school tax reduction the JANUARY following the year you turn 65 (example, if you turned 65 in March of 2009, you can apply in January of 2010).

We applied this past January (my husband turned 65 in March of 2008) and it reflected on the tax bill we just received.

Our taxes dropped $800+ per year.
Posted Image
I may be a Yankee....but I am a NICE Yankee....and there are worse things I could be....right?[/size]

There are no strangers, just friends we haven't met yet!"

Colleen Ann Deloughery 6/4/60-9/11/01

#16 highontheshoals

highontheshoals

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Lucky64 @ Oct 3 2009, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to come in to the Assessor's Office and apply for the Senior exemption. It doesn't just happen. They don't have you birthdate on file.
"Obstacles are the things we see when we take our eyes off the goals we wish to achieve."

#17 Veritas

Veritas

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (katcol @ Oct 3 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The concession has nothing to do with having kids in school; it is a concession to limited income in retirement age. School taxes are paid as a contribution to the future, not the present, society. It is not a "pay as you go" tax, any more than fire taxes are only for those who call the fire department.

The age for school tax exemption varies by county. It is 62 in Cobb. It is a half rate at 65 in Paulding and then complete at 70. I would expect that with people living longer and social security kicking in slightly later, these ages will increase in a few years.

#18 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (lowrider @ Oct 3 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's on a county by county basis, so you need to contact the tax commissioner where she lives.

And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#19 katcol

katcol

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Veritas @ Oct 3 2009, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The concession has nothing to do with having kids in school; it is a concession to limited income in retirement age. School taxes are paid as a contribution to the future, not the present, society. It is not a "pay as you go" tax, any more than fire taxes are only for those who call the fire department.

The age for school tax exemption varies by county. It is 62 in Cobb. It is a half rate at 65 in Paulding and then complete at 70. I would expect that with people living longer and social security kicking in slightly later, these ages will increase in a few years.

It's always a fact that you have to pay the tax even if you never have children. Heck, we have to pay it even though we homeschool. The general public opinion is that it cuts back at a certain age because people that age have paid their portion by then and typically don't have kids in school at that age anyway. That may not be what the tax deciders think but that is what their public thinks.

So if we move to a fair tax, does that mean property taxes go away as well? :lol:lol. laugh.gif
Posted Image

#20 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,414 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

The school tax had been dropped on my parents, but when they had their place put in my name now mama has to pay them again. and it makes a huge difference.

does anyone know if there is something that you can file so that her school tax will be dropped, even though the property is in my name?

someone on here told me one time that there was an estate form that could be filled out.

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#21 AustinPlantation

AustinPlantation

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

In cobb, on top of the senior exemptions, they freeze the assessment for all until the home is sold.

The people who bought our old house in marietta, must have had their taxes double and we weren't even getting the senior exemption there.
QUOTE (MissSophie @ Oct 3 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got caught in the trap when I bought my home. The estimated taxes when buying the house was half of what I actually had to pay. That is because I bought the house from an elderly couple. Big shock when my taxes were doubled from what I expected!!

Mel
-------------------------------------------------------
An optomist may not get there any faster, but he'll enjoy the trip more If you believe you can, you can --- and if you can't, at least you believed you could!

#22 RaceGirl

RaceGirl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

My mom is eligible for, has applied for and been approved for the school tax exemption due to her age. However, she received a notice with her tax bill stating that she will still have to pay school tax due to budgets or some yada yada bullcrap. Now her taxes are more than they have ever been!
My Nephew,The Marine,fights for your right to read this! SEMPER FI

Where's My Mule, Where's My Forty Acres? ~ Warren Haynes, Govt. Mule

Jesus Loves You.... everyone else thinks you're a sphincter! ! ~ Random Bumper Sticker

#23 beulah boy

beulah boy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

in some places you still have to pay the school BOND tax till the bonds are retired regardless of your age. sad.gif
bb

#24 gospel

gospel

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

I think you have to be 150 dry.gif

Posted Image

ZION Southern Gospel Quartet & Band

Upcoming Concerts:

Sunday - March 28, 2010 - 6:00 PM -Dallas First Baptist Church - Dallas, GA

Sunday - June 20, 2010 - 10:00 AM - New Etna Baptist Church Homecoming - Rockmart, GA

#25 katcol

katcol

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (ZION Southern Gospel @ Oct 5 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you have to be 150 dry.gif

laugh.gif That's what I've heard!
Posted Image

#26 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (Lady Raider @ Oct 4 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The school tax had been dropped on my parents, but when they had their place put in my name now mama has to pay them again. and it makes a huge difference.

does anyone know if there is something that you can file so that her school tax will be dropped, even though the property is in my name?

someone on here told me one time that there was an estate form that could be filled out.

Get an attorney to do this for you. It could have stayed in her name and you should have just has power of attorney (I think).

For the cost of one year of school tax you can probably get it fixed.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#27 Butterfly Nanny

Butterfly Nanny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Lucky64 @ Oct 3 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My HUsband will be 70 in Feb and we will have to pay the school tax next year but the following year we won't

http://www.allonsalon.net/allonsalonsignature.swf

www.AllonSalon.net

#28 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Butterfly Nanny @ Oct 5 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My HUsband will be 70 in Feb and we will have to pay the school tax next year but the following year we won't

You should have been getting a partial exemption (50% I think) since age 65 if you are in Paulding. You guys need to go to the Tax Commissioners office and see what all you can get rid of. Don't give them any more than you just have to. They are just going to pi$$ it away anyhow.

#29 Can you hear me now?

Can you hear me now?

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

In Floyd county it not only depends on your age, but also your income.

Once you're both 65 your income can't be higher than $10K.
SCHOOL TAX EXEMPTION - AGE 75
a. Requirements: (1) Own your home and reside in it during the year in which you apply for the exemption. (2) Owner must be at least 75 years old on January 1 of the year of application. (3) Total income of both spouses and any other family member living in the residence (such as son, daughter or other relative) cannot exceed $30,000 from all sources, including social security and pensions.
b. Amount of exemption: All of the school tax liability on your homestead residence/homestead garage and one acre of homestead land.
c. Time for applying: The year of the property becoming the primary residence up to and including March 1 of the following year.
d. Where to apply: Floyd County Assessor's Office.

Edited by Can you hear me now?, 06 October 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#30 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,414 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (feelip @ Oct 5 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get an attorney to do this for you. It could have stayed in her name and you should have just has power of attorney (I think).

For the cost of one year of school tax you can probably get it fixed.

I am her power of Attorney, but when her and Daddy did their wills they wanted to go ahead and put the home and all in my name, so that when ever they passed away they would know that it had already been taken care of.

and I believe the power of attorney is no longer any good once that person dies and it goes straight to the executor of the will which is me.

she said when she went to pay her taxes she was gonna talk to Jim about it and see if there was someway to get it fixed to where she would not have to pay school taxes but yet leave it in my name, it is not like we don;t pay school taxes cause we do on our property taxes.

It seem like they would come up with a way for the elder people to do this and still not have to pay school taxes.
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

#31 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Lady Raider @ Oct 6 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am her power of Attorney, but when her and Daddy did their wills they wanted to go ahead and put the home and all in my name, so that when ever they passed away they would know that it had already been taken care of.

and I believe the power of attorney is no longer any good once that person dies and it goes straight to the executor of the will which is me.

she said when she went to pay her taxes she was gonna talk to Jim about it and see if there was someway to get it fixed to where she would not have to pay school taxes but yet leave it in my name, it is not like we don;t pay school taxes cause we do on our property taxes.

It seem like they would come up with a way for the elder people to do this and still not have to pay school taxes.

By doing what you have done you have made it possible for your mother to get into an assisted care facility or nursing home without having to hand over her house and property to the government. There is or was a certain number of years that you would have to be the legal owner of the house to be able to do this. The down side is you won't get any tax breaks until you are 65 or 70 and you also have to be living in the house.

This is what my sister and I did and believe me, it is the right way to go.

I would still spend $400 or $500 and talk to an attorney about it. The laws are constantly changing.

#32 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,414 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (feelip @ Oct 6 2009, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By doing what you have done you have made it possible for your mother to get into an assisted care facility or nursing home without having to hand over her house and property to the government. There is or was a certain number of years that you would have to be the legal owner of the house to be able to do this. The down side is you won't get any tax breaks until you are 65 or 70 and you also have to be living in the house.

I would still spend $400 or $500 and talk to an attorney about it. The laws are constantly changing.

Thanks Feelip I will tell her and see what she says. now as for as the nursing home...

Lawd heave mercy that thought has never crossed my mind LOL if all else fails I would move in with her and take care of her.

Her peace of mind I guess is worth the extra money.. as long as she does not have to sit and worry what will happen to her and Daddy's home after she is gone, then the extra money will just have to paid sometimes there is not a price on *peace of Mind* and when all is said and done, I do plan on moving back home, her and Daddy talked to hubby and me about that years ago. so that is another reason why things were done the way they were.

Posted Image

3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

#33 M&M

M&M

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

I did not read every post on here so someone may have already mentioned this. There was a referendum passed in 2006 which became effective with tax year 2007. House Bill 848 approved an exemption from all state property taxes for persons 65 or older. The exemption is equal to the amount of state tax levy for the residence and up to 10 acres of land surrounding the residence.

#34 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (M&M @ Oct 6 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did not read every post on here so someone may have already mentioned this. There was a referendum passed in 2006 which became effective with tax year 2007. House Bill 848 approved an exemption from all state property taxes for persons 65 or older. The exemption is equal to the amount of state tax levy for the residence and up to 10 acres of land surrounding the residence.

Thanks. Always good to know the rules.

#35 Can you hear me now?

Can you hear me now?

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (M&M @ Oct 6 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shall the Act be approved which provides a homestead exemption for senior citizens in an amount equal to the actual levy for state ad valorem tax purposes on the homestead?"
The referendum appears to be on state ad valoren taxes, not county taxes, or am I missing something here? Why doesn't the tax commissioner's office know anything about this?

http://www.legis.ga....HB_848_AP_6.htm

Edited by Can you hear me now?, 06 October 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#36 lowrider

lowrider

QUEASY RIDER

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,157 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (feelip @ Oct 6 2009, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a situation my husband and his sister are in.

They never took the time to sit down with their mother and have the property put in either of their names.

She is now in a nursing home, and the state will get what is owed them through the sale of the house.

As far as me and my family, we've always known the property had to be transferred a certain number of years (5 I think) so that they could go into a nursing facility and not have the property taken by the state.

My grandfather passed it down to my mother, my mother passed it down to me about 5 years ago (and I pay the property taxes) and I'm getting ready to pass it down to my children.

My MIL is the reason I was trying to find out about property tax(it's still in her name), she doesn't pay school tax, but (my husband) still pays property tax. And the state will get the house.

#37 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,503 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (lowrider @ Oct 6 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is a situation my husband and his sister are in.

They never took the time to sit down with their mother and have the property put in either of their names.

She is now in a nursing home, and the state will get what is owed them through the sale of the house.

As far as me and my family, we've always known the property had to be transferred a certain number of years (5 I think) so that they could go into a nursing facility and not have the property taken by the state.

My grandfather passed it down to my mother, my mother passed it down to me about 5 years ago (and I pay the property taxes) and I'm getting ready to pass it down to my children.

My MIL is the reason I was trying to find out about property tax(it's still in her name), she doesn't pay school tax, but (my husband) still pays property tax. And the state will get the house.

If you haven't already sit down with an attorney and see if there are any other options.

My motto is the only thing more expensive than an attorney is not having an attorney.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics